IDW cover contest | UPDATE: final results now in!

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Tramp
Protoform

Post by Tramp »

I'm the last (image, not place)in my group.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

slartibartfast wrote:I'm (edit : currently) second in my group ! yayayayayay !! People are actually complimenting my cover ! I'm terribly over-excited... it's actually giving me nightmares.

Well done Housewife2000 BTW.
Really?! Which one is yours?

edit: ah, I found it. It's the stylized Perceptor cover, isn't it. I noticed that one earlier and thought of you, actually. I liked it a lot.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

slartibartfast wrote:I'm (edit : currently) second in my group ! yayayayayay !! People are actually complimenting my cover ! I'm terribly over-excited... it's actually giving me nightmares.
Which could actually be two groups at the moment, going just by first name. And since you reviewed the one group I'm assuming it's the other...

The medallion, ciggy and sauna/bubble-bath are interesting touches. It's very Wildcats v3.0...
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Well done Housewife2000 BTW.
Have you got a link to your work Slarti (and Tramp as well) the IDW forum was slow as chit and crashed my browser twice so I aint going back.
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Sure dude. Although the site traffic seems to have died down a bit since the initial rush. Navigating the forum is more nerve-friendly now... I believe Tramp is in the Onslaught/Impactor/Mindwipe group [link], and I'm in the Perceptor/Chase/Horri-bull one [link]. No idea where askshockwave is hanging out though.

A generally useful link : ROUND ONE VOTING INDEX

Denyer wrote:The medallion, ciggy and sauna/bubble-bath are interesting touches. It's very Wildcats v3.0...
Image I like that idea, don't want to ruin it :(

P.S. *hugs zigzagger*
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Lovin your work on the "Pimp my Perceptor" cover Slarti but out of all the ones Ive looked at so far and admittedly its not nearly all of them I really cant see past Griffiths Puppetmaster Bombshell-so much so Ive just set it as my desktop wallpaper.
Rossum
Protoform

Post by Rossum »

slartibartfast wrote: I'm in the Perceptor/Chase/Horri-bull one [link].
I haven't had a chance to look at all the groups yet, but yours is one of my favorites so far--it's such an wildly different take on a cover idea.

I know that the fights are what people find exciting, but it's awesome to see something that breaks away from the mold, especially since a lot of the entries are variations on "Bot A smashing/shooting Bot B while Bot C looks on". Amazingly well-drawn variations, but still. It's cool to see the images that resist that template.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Rossum wrote:I haven't had a chance to look at all the groups yet, but yours is one of my favorites so far--it's such an wildly different take on a cover idea.

I know that the fights are what people find exciting, but it's awesome to see something that breaks away from the mold, especially since a lot of the entries are variations on "Bot A smashing/shooting Bot B while Bot C looks on". Amazingly well-drawn variations, but still. It's cool to see the images that resist that template.
Yeah of all the ones Ive saw the ones where its a bit of a change from A and B go at it while C lurks have caught my attention Slartis and the Bombshell one and the Tailgate surrounded by polar bears(you can almost see him shiver and Tfs dont feel cold I dont think) all really stood out for me.
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

Gosh. Thanks dudes... All this attention is disrupting my usual pious humility...

Still can't bring myself to vote, there are elements I like in too many pictures... Think I'll go for those I would like to see what ideas the artist could come up with given a second assignment. There seem to be lots of first-timers, T'be interesting to see how they/we evolve.

neh, I'm getting over-excited again... fighting a losing battle to refrain from blabbering on about my own picture.

*hugs everyone*
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Do spill... what's the story that goes with the cover?
slartibartfast wrote: Image I like that idea, don't want to ruin it :(
The last iteration of Wildcats pre-reboot was great until it got prematurely cancelled. Very much not standard comics, and mostly not action-oriented...
slartibartfast

- NO ! I'll never utter a word !

Post by slartibartfast »

[fail]
It's not a story as such, more presentation of the character I've been developing in the RPG. Here : http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... hp?t=38404

S'funny, I don't seem to have mentioned hannibal lecter anywhere in that thread. That sort of refined personality of one of the only erudites to have survived long enough to be part of the current story, whilst being ruthless enough to run guerilla operations on cybertron for most of that time, that kind of thing... but more like Dr. Josef Mengele.

I'm not sure if I should post the original sketches for the cover, since I was asked to remove the speech bubbles, don't want to unfairly influence. That, plus the fact that I didn't fill in any of the black parts of the image sort of changes the message somewhat.
Keyword is 'oil' though :)
[/fail]

Wildcats is on my list of things keep an eye out for. Haven't spotted any of the TPBs yet. I tend to forget to ask though as my first question is usually if they happen to stock any IDW... :(
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

slartibartfast wrote:Well done Housewife2000 BTW.
Hey man, thanks! I concur with the other comments on here - your Perceptor cover is brilliant. It's eye catching and does something different, and as Denyer says, it's very much in the style of Dustin Nguyen's beautifully stylistic covers from Wildcats 3.0.
martyboy70 wrote:Yeah of all the ones Ive saw the ones where its a bit of a change from A and B go at it while C lurks have caught my attention Slartis and the Bombshell one and the Tailgate surrounded by polar bears(you can almost see him shiver and Tfs dont feel cold I dont think) all really stood out for me.
Cheers!
AskShockwave
Protoform

Post by AskShockwave »

Slarti, Housewife, great work! Slarti, that's the cover I wish I'd drawn!
As for me, I'm in the Crankcase pile, with 37% at the mo. All good, but anybody any idea when the next round starts?
"There's money in the Banana Stand"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

slartibartfast wrote:I'm not sure if I should post the original sketches for the cover,
Not yet, from what I recall of the rules.

It's probably only worth getting the first trade or two of WC3.0 -- or equivalent issues -- as after the corporate stuff it doesn't go anywhere except cancellation mid-storyline. The initial setup is rather classy for a cape book, though. Amazon Marketplace is probably a good bet.
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

Slarti, Housewife, great work! Slarti, that's the cover I wish I'd drawn!
As for me, I'm in the Crankcase pile, with 37% at the mo. All good, but anybody any idea when the next round starts?
I think voting is open for 2 weeks, so it should end sometime around next Monday. By the way, I love your Crankcase – excellent composition and the most inventive use of Vortex in the group.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

You've got another day or so to vote if you haven't already.
slartibartfast

- da un-official round one graduate gallery.

Post by slartibartfast »

da first 12 catagories.

Spotlight : Air raid
Bryan Sevilla & Nam Nguyen
Image Image

Spotlight : Bombshell
Adrian Griffith & Adrian Cho
Image Image

Spotlight : Brawn
Jason Rice & David C.Ayling
Image Image

Spotlight : Cosmos
Mathew C.Adams & Robert Sohl
Image Image

Spotlight : Cindersaur
Matthew Frank & Anthony Brian Cruz
Image Image

Spotlight : Crankcase
Mark Brady & Mike Ackerman
Image Image

Spotlight : Doublecross
Ivan Mas & Sumit Sarkar
Image Image

Spotlight : Divebomb
Joana Lafuente Oliveira Amaral & Stavros Kundromichalis
Image Image

Spotlight : Dragstrip
Casey Collar & Christie Majors
Image Image

Spotlight : Getaway
Sydney Rouse & Aidan O'Caroll
Image Image

Spotlight : Gnaw
Laurent Libessart & Micheal Joe Dillon
Image Image

Spotlight : Hoist
Darren Chia & Christpher Holmes
Image Image
P.S. I haven't double-checked these, could anyone point out any errors if they come across them... I hope to god I didn't leave anyone out.
polystyleneman
Protoform

Wow

Post by polystyleneman »

martyboy70 wrote:Lovin your work on the "Pimp my Perceptor" cover Slarti but out of all the ones Ive looked at so far and admittedly its not nearly all of them I really cant see past Griffiths Puppetmaster Bombshell-so much so Ive just set it as my desktop wallpaper.
Wow! Thank you! I've posted a color version on my Deviant account if you really like it.

http://glovestudios.deviantart.com/
slartibartfast

Post by slartibartfast »

hehe. you kept the typo then ? Welcome to the board. Snazzy colours dude, I wasn't expecting the strings to be energon strands.
AskShockwave wrote:Slarti, Housewife, great work! Slarti, that's the cover I wish I'd drawn!
Well done on winning that. The new assignments are currently scheduled for sometime this weekend, like saturday.

Thanks for the amazing compliment, I would have liked to see what you could have done with percy, your style would have suited him down to the ground.
da other 12 catagories :

Spotlight : Krok
Deceptichop & DJ Bryant
Image Image

Spotlight : Misfire
Erica Reis & Frank Milkovich
Image Image

Spotlight : Onslaught
Nathan Davis & Peter Islye
Image Image

Spotlight : Perceptor
Kurt Weber & Edward Scott
Image Image

Spotlight : Pounce
Khris Smith & Jonathan Davis
Image Image

Spotlight : Quickmix
Ozzy Fernandez & Ryan Wilton
Image Image

Spotlight : Scourge
Lin Jian Long & Brian Donnolly
Image Image

Spotlight : Siren
Dylan Gibson & Liew Far Leong
Image Image

Spotlight : Squeezeplay
Javier Reyes & James Kingseller / James Lynch (photofinish)
Image Image Image

Spotlight : Sureshot
Richard Bartrop & Kevin Rose
Image Image

Spotlight : Tailgate
Richard Cookson & Xavier Basa (by a nose)
Image Image

Spotlight : Wierdwolf
Thomas Wu & Evan Gauntt
Image Image
myeh, there's an unhealthy amount of win right there.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Can we see the original sketches now?

edit:
there's an unhealthy amount of win right there.
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." --HST