Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

wtf im no lawyer
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Civ

Post by Civ »

Originally posted by Denyer
So, anyone think the trade image preview doesn't look nads?

Eh, doesn't bother me. Not the best I've seen but not the worst either.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

I actually don't know. Looks a bit silly, but I haven't thought much on it, since I don't have cable, and I'm more interested in the toys.

Usually, as long as long as a story can distract me, I'm all right, though, so I'd probably end up watching it.
The Wild One

Post by The Wild One »

I think the picture doesn't really have anything to do with the new cartoon. I'm just going to wait and see.
It's time to get wild!!!!!
The Wild One
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, while the image is pretty indefensible,it's early days yet... but on the other hand, it isn't the 1980s any more, things don't change so radically from early art (anyone remember those piss-poor early G1 animated commercials?) to final product - I'd expect the intention is very much to make it in this style (which is a bit odd, as the stuff backed by anime seems to have been doing very well for Hasbro, regardless of what fans think)... I mean, if a stylistic change was to be taken, it's pretty surprising things haven't gone the way of the movie (I'm no expert on I know literally nothing about CGI - would it be possible for them to take the movie models and drop them into a totally CGI cartoon?)... We can live in hope that either a) this is something banged out so they had a picture to pitch or b) that the series isn't ver far into production, and important people such as broadcasters ill react badly to the art.

On the optimistic side, I physically can't see how this sort of look will carry on to the toyline, which means that won't look as bad :)
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Yeh, while the image is pretty indefensible,it's early days yet... but on the other hand, it isn't the 1980s any more, things don't change so radically from early art (anyone remember those piss-poor early G1 animated commercials?) to final product - I'd expect the intention is very much to make it in this style (which is a bit odd, as the stuff backed by anime seems to have been doing very well for Hasbro, regardless of what fans think)... I mean, if a stylistic change was to be taken, it's pretty surprising things haven't gone the way of the movie (I'm no expert on I know literally nothing about CGI - would it be possible for them to take the movie models and drop them into a totally CGI cartoon?)... We can live in hope that either a) this is something banged out so they had a picture to pitch or b) that the series isn't ver far into production, and important people such as broadcasters ill react badly to the art.

On the optimistic side, I physically can't see how this sort of look will carry on to the toyline, which means that won't look as bad :)

it is possible to to take cgi models and drop them into other television broadcasts. i am hoping they'll do something along those lines, or at least something somewhat similiar, butit is possible to copy cgi as long as everything is done correctly by the animators.:cool:
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

*Raises hand*

After bitching and moaning about the movie designs when they were leaked last year, I'm willing to give this a shot. The promo graphic is not good, but I could be persuaded to check out Transformers with a very stylized design if it's done right. Throw in some sweet Sigma Six or Xevoz style figures, and I'm in.

Also, TFVanguard has completely discredited himself in this thread by saying that Samurai Jack's art was bad. Art's an admittedly subjective thing, but damn is he wrong.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

You really just can't resist, can you, Auros?

But, you're entitled to your opinion - I really just wish you had arrived at it honestly instead of just to be contrary.

Anyway, like I said, I personally found Samurai Jack to be too hard to watch at times with really bad art for many episodes. I appreciate what they were trying to do, but there were too many episodes where the art was obviously just cheap and easy and not done to be stylistic.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Blah blah blah, I'm a martyr, blah blah, pity me because nobody in the damned fandom can stand me, blah blah.

Quit being a whiny bitch. I was ****ing around, deal with it. You are still wrong about the swank art on Samurai Jack.

EDIT - Seriously dude, lighten up and quit crying everytime I play rough. If you don't like it, you can put me on your damn ignore list. I'm not going to stop calling you out when I think you're saying something stupid because you pull this routine.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

I'm wrong on an opinion that's completely a matter of taste? I can accept being in a minority there.. but wrong?

Whatever.

Still not selling me on the promo-piece , Auros. It still looks like crap to me.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Yeah, notice the tongue-in-cheek involved when I said, "Art's an admittedly subjective thing, but damn is he wrong?" I'm ****ing around in disagreeing with you. It's a ridiculous to criticize someone's opinion on art, that's why it's amusing. Don't be so egotistical as to think it's about you.

I'm not trying to sell anyone on the promo piece. It isn't good, but I'm not going to bash the premise or overall aesthetics of the show over that one piece, either. I'll give it a chance by waiting until I see some animation or some of the figures before I turn into a raging fanboy.

That said, you're never going to be right about Samurai Jack unless you concede that it's one of the best animation styles to come out of a western creator since Bruce Timm's work.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

So. ummm....can I move this into the general discussion forum now? ;)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Sir Auros
you can put me on your damn ignore list

Actually no. Doesn't work on these usergroups.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Samu ... I_eyes.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Sjack_aku.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Samu ... newolf.jpg

Eh, enjoyable cartoon, but it's barely a step up from Flash animation.
out of a western creator
Wide field there, then... ;)
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Eh, enjoyable cartoon, but it's barely a step up from Flash animation.

Which is bad, how? There are some really good flash cartoons out there and SJ had the benefit of much, much smoother animation.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Which is bad, how?

It's not really something you'd give awards to in the field of animation, unless you were a film committee trying to be hip and down with the kids.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Just because it doesn't take the time, doesn't mean it's not a deliberate and rich artistic style, though. Talking about SJ, not the bulk of the flash cartoons out there.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Just because it doesn't take the time, doesn't mean it's not a deliberate and rich artistic style, though.

Stuff that can be mass-produced to that degree (even automated, in some cases) -- and that's been chosen for ease of reproduction on merchandising / speed of production -- begins to wear away at the criteria for 'art', let alone being a rich style. Ditto for webcomics featuring cut-and-pastes of 16bit game graphics, something like [url]http://www.qwantz.com,[/url] or South Park.

The creativity's more in the storytelling than the use and reuse of graphic libraries and basic shapes.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Just because it doesn't take the time, doesn't mean it's not a deliberate and rich artistic style, though. Talking about SJ, not the bulk of the flash cartoons out there.

i can say i liked SJ and CW cartoons, i have always been a fan of the isometric projection in art. isometric being one sided view for some of the people who don't know the term. i might give this cartoon a shot, i just want to see more than the preview poster to know more now.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
LKW
Protoform

Post by LKW »

Originally posted by Civ
Not the best I've seen but not the worst either.

That doesn't really seem possible. I mean, this illustration makes Jose Delbo seem... less sucky.

Which doesn't mean that I'm compleltely ready to write off the new show yet, sight unseen. But this picture, of ultra-warped Prime (and his blue soul patch?), is very :sick:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

:lol: I did NOT notice the soul patch, until you mentioned it! Awesome!