New test shots - Titanium, Classics

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Arcee
Protoform

Post by Arcee »

Originally posted by Clogs
Screamer and Ramjet. Ooooooh! :cool:

Agreed. Proof that Hasbro loves us. (Or at least loves our money enough to offer us some real nifty stuff in exchange for it.)
numbat

Post by numbat »

Proof that Hasbro loves us. (Or at least loves our money enough to offer us some real nifty stuff in exchange for it.)

Or that they're getting better at making the nifty guys - they've offered up some poor figures that leads me to suspect it's our money they're really after anyhoo.

It's just good that they've finally caughtened on to what fans are really after.

;)
HELLHOUND
Protoform

Post by HELLHOUND »

I do like the optimus prime mould for the classics line. Im just a bit fed up with the repaints of him for ultra magnus. In the cartoon, (g1) he looked great in robot mode and was a good character. You never saw him seperate from his cab.( in the comic or cartoon). So in my mind his combined form is his actual robot mode. Just because the g1 toy used a white prime cab( to get his lorry mode simalar to the original prime) all we see now is just white repaints of nearly every other prime, they havent even given him a slightly different robot. I presume its a way of saving money like with the seekers ect, but they never started of different. We all new they would be just re- colours. Where as with magnus he just looked different from the start. I know that in some continuities there brothers, which is fine i just think it would have been nice to have the classics toy to look like a reimaginig of his cartoon g1 format.
We Hate pemula con full of cheesey goodness!
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Originally posted by HELLHOUND
I do like the optimus prime mould for the classics line. Im just a bit fed up with the repaints of him for ultra magnus. In the cartoon, (g1) he looked great in robot mode and was a good character. You never saw him seperate from his cab.( in the comic or cartoon). So in my mind his combined form is his actual robot mode. Just because the g1 toy used a white prime cab( to get his lorry mode simalar to the original prime) all we see now is just white repaints of nearly every other prime, they havent even given him a slightly different robot. I presume its a way of saving money like with the seekers ect, but they never started of different. We all new they would be just re- colours. Where as with magnus he just looked different from the start. I know that in some continuities there brothers, which is fine i just think it would have been nice to have the classics toy to look like a reimaginig of his cartoon g1 format.

Apparently they are making up for the lack of originality with the Titanium line with Magnus. Who knows, they might make the car trailer to go with him in Classics, just takes time for someone at Hasbro or the outside to design the trailer, and then how the pieces would fit onto the toy.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
numbat

Post by numbat »

Who knows, they might make the car trailer to go with him [UM] in Classics

Hey, in this day and age, given how Transformers have developed, an additional trailer-esque character would fit quite nicely, who could combine with Ultra Magnus to form his larger mode. It would have far greater marketability (especially with kids), and would fit nicely with the current ethos of 'bring out another figure to combine with, erm, say Prime? Or maybe Megatron?'

That said, I still love Armada Overload's design, and that chap needs the trailer for the head (and certainly made for an obvious Magnus repaint).

I do have my doubts as to whether the Classics line has enough time to privide the variety of molds that fans would certainly like, though. The movie is approaching fast...

;)
HELLHOUND
Protoform

Post by HELLHOUND »

Oh yeah I forgot about overloads repaint, he is one of my favourite armada toys. I didnt get the magnus repaint as I already had the red overload. But if I had the choice id go for the yellow and black version wich i think was a american ltd eddition. He looked well cool.
We Hate pemula con full of cheesey goodness!
numbat

Post by numbat »

Yeah - the yellow, black and maroon Overload was a Costco limited (set with a rescue themed Optimus Prime). I managed to get him in a toyshop in Wales (while I worked down there) for £15 (whole MIB set) in a sale. Well chuffed (I reviewed him, with plenty pretty pictures up here - was part of the Energon line).

I really love the mold. I just tracked down a Sentinel Maximus for a price I was willing to pay, and am looking forward to it arriving (no doubt delays with Christmas post...)!

In the long run, I'd like to get Energon Magnus and Armada Overload, but they're not high priority (I rarely buy repaints or remolds of figures I have anyway).

But, yeah, I think the mold worked well as a homage to G1 Ultra Magnus (certainly better than a repainted Fattimus cab would have!).

:)
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Have the UM version - Overload was nowhere to be found, but the colours looked totally awesome on the promotional poster.

On another note, I finally got hold of Armada Starscream. Second hand, intact, just a tenner. Oh, yes!!! Now - anyone actually seen/got the Titanium Skywarp? All I've found is Megs and I shied away in case he was saggy, a bit loose at the seams...darn, wrong storyline...wouldn't hold together well (qv previous posts).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
zeoman4.5

Post by zeoman4.5 »

ULTRA MAGNUS RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He rules. Vehicle mode, Robot Mode, White Optimus lookin' robot,
Big battle body robot, new, old, small, big, he rules. Plus he was
the only Autobot brave enough to curse at the Matrix.
"Consistency is Victory".
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Well, I liked the "White Prime=Magnus" schtick when they did the bendy Prime mold, but yeah, it's been done a little too much, now. Really glad they decided to repaint Overload as Magnus, as everyone, who saw Overload was definitely like "Oh poop! It's Ultra Magnus!" Of course, I have to admit that the only reason I'm not tired of "Teh Blak Repaint=Scourge/Nemesis Prime" is because I was such a fan of RID Scourge in RID (nah, really? Who'd've guessed that one?).

I really wish that Magnus had come with a non-essential seeker, like Sunstorm, or that purple drone-type one that they made of the PVC figs for a con exclusive. I really want Skywarp, especially if they eventually make Thundercracker. We'll see.
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

I don't get it...why is everyone so sick of Magnus being a repaint of Prime...yet everyone seems to be okay with Magnus being a repaint of some other character?

Why can't we just get an original Ultra Magnus like with G1 and RiD?

That said, however, I'm a big fan of the white Prime for Magnus. The colors are so cool. :)
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Actually, I would happy if they would have just remolded the HEAD and gave him RID Magnus's head. (And maybe more blue detailing to break it up a bit).
zeoman4.5

Over Reacted

Post by zeoman4.5 »

Sorry I over reacted guys. Its just that Ultra Magnus was my first
G1 that I ever knew. I was born during the end of G1/begining of
G2. So I never got to know any of the trademark G1 guys. A neighbor of mine asked me what I knew about Transformers, and
I explained out BW and RID. He showed me some old comics and
boxes and thats how I know Magnus. He was my only Christmas
present in 2003, and it was a reissue figure. Now I love Magnus,
and pounce on any chance to get a new one. I'd say that my favorite thing about him is his White Prime robot mode, which is
the true Ultra Magnus, and his motto, one of the most simple yet
most true. I really like that they're making a Classics version, plus
I also truly enjoy a good seeker mold like Skywarp.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Brimstone
I don't get it...why is everyone so sick of Magnus being a repaint of Prime...yet everyone seems to be okay with Magnus being a repaint of some other character?

Well, he's been a repaint of prime at least 3-4 times, and each time, he's got the same colors in robot mode. The thing with the Overload repaint is that that figure was just plain born to be repainted as Magnus, as most people thought it was going to be Magnus back when the first prototypes were shown. It also shows a bit more imagination.
Originally posted by TFVanguard
Actually, I would happy if they would have just remolded the HEAD and gave him RID Magnus's head. (And maybe more blue detailing to break it up a bit).

That would actually have looked really good, and might have added incentive to actually track this set down. Unfortunately, a remold would be too costly to be released as a limited exclusive.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

That would actually have looked really good, and might have added incentive to actually track this set down. Unfortunately, a remold would be too costly to be released as a limited exclusive.
Agreed, but.. well, I kinda wish that Magnus would get more 'props', ya know?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

To what extent can this be blamed on Dreamwave? Don't recall any of the toy companies doing non-armour versions before that...
Clay

Post by Clay »

Originally posted by Denyer
To what extent can this be blamed on Dreamwave? Don't recall any of the toy companies doing non-armour versions before that...

According to tfu.info, the earliest one was the Armada repaint in 2004.

Since then, there has been War Within Titanium (not out yet), Classics, Masterpiece, and G2 Battle Convoy reissue. I'd say it's entirely to blame on Dreamwave, but at the same time, it's not as bad as people think - only three white Prime repaints by Hasbro and two by Takara.

Black repaints, on the other hand...

Anyway, I actually prefer Magnus' inner white robot. I just dont' think he necessarily has to be a Prime repaint, though...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Denyer
To what extent can this be blamed on Dreamwave?

Everything can be blamed on Dreamwave.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
numbat

Post by numbat »

Everything can be blamed on Dreamwave

Well, that leaves a lot less to worry about!

Many problems solved.

(If my ex-boss had known, I'm sure he would have used it in his managementspeak.)

Very nice UM Clay!

;)
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Clay
According to tfu.info, the earliest one was the Armada repaint in 2004.

The oldest ones were Ultra Magnus Junior and Stamp-Bot Magnus (without "Ultra") by Takara.

The first "recent" one was the Palisades statue.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.