Cybertron Deluxe Unicron and Skywarp in UK Tesco

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
numbat

Cybertron Deluxe Unicron and Skywarp in UK Tesco

Post by numbat »

Hi

Just though some people might like to know that Tesco (at least in the backwater of Dumfries & Galloway) have Cybertron Deluxe Unicron and Skywarp at £9.97.

Probably way late here!

Funny... we kinda got the first wave of Cybertron a few months back, and now we get one of the last... where was the inbetween stuff?

On a side note, I almost picked up Unicron, but as my Classics had arrived that morning, and my shopping remit only stretched to squid, ale and wine, I left him on the bottom shelf he was occupying.

Is he worth the expendature?
Brawn
Protoform

Post by Brawn »

Cybertron Unicron sucks in my opinion...

Stay away

I didn't die...I just went away for a while!
numbat

Post by numbat »

Cheers - that's what my gut was telling me. I think the floppy head on the top of the tank may have been the giveaway...

I'm just a sucker for a new incarnation of Unicron, and tanks - but I do have to say, I was very surprised by the whole concept...

Besides - is there really any use for a Unicron other than the giant planet staring down at me from my bookshelf?

Unless anyone has anything great to say about the toy?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

If you're into kitbashing, it might make a Bludgeon base? Although it's got rather a Beast Machines feel to it.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

I NEED SKYWARP & DUMFRIES IS ONLY 15 MINUTES ON THE TRAIN!!

*ahem*

I mean, uhm, the ****ty Tesco here in Carlisle really blows, though the Metro Tesco in town does have a new wave of the Mini Cybertron toys, Red Alert, Galvatron, Vector Prime & someone else IIRC.

Almost picked up a Galvatron, then thought again.

I really want a Cybertron Skywarp
numbat

Post by numbat »

So you're down in Carlisle?

Well, they had plenty Skywarps the other day. If I can help at all, just ask.

(I actually live further from Dumfries though, ironically! But I do work there every Tuesday, and many partner organisations are based there so I'm in and out like a jigalo... But then, my remit area is 'Dumfries & Galloway' - lotsa driving!)

I am a fan of some of the Beast Machine figures - I love Tankor and Jetstorm. Would anyone suggest the Unicron design as being likeable in the same way?

(I find it easy to justify a £2.97 figure, but £9.97 becomes a problem - especially with my fiancee! And I'm sure having just received the first four of the classics deluxes will be trying for her upon her return anyway!)
numbat

Post by numbat »

PS: I'd highly recommend LOC Galvatron. It's one of the best in the series.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

hey, for 3 quid I'm sorely tempted to go back in for him !

If I can't find a Skywarp around here, I'll drop you a PM dude :)
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I'm not all that familiar with the Beast Machines line, but I personally think cybertron Unicron is awesome. They did a great job of changing him completely while still maintining the feel of Unicron past. I'm very pleased with him.
numbat

Post by numbat »

If I can't find a Skywarp around here, I'll drop you a PM dude

No problem. I'm in Dumfries this afternoon to pick up new contacts and specs, so will try and check they're still there, and maybe depending on my mood, pick up Unicron.

Thanks for all the info and opinions guys!

:)
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

bought unicron, it looks better on the card thatn transformed. it's ok, i put it next to cybertron sidewaws cause they have similar proportions....
i don't really recomend it though. it's quite ugly and tough to transform into tank again.
Come on and wind me up.
Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

Hello everyone, long time lurker/first time poster.

I just wanted to add that I picked up Cyb Unicron from Amazon this week, and recommend it. I think the sculpt is excellent, with great detailing, posability and an inventive transformation. The tank mode definitely has shades of the Beast Machines 'vehicles with personality', a style that makes sense for any Transformer who isn't trying to be in disguise. Another plus is that the missile launcher packs a decent punch, excellent for harassing a passing girlfriend.

If I have to pick holes, I'd say the strange spikes/swords/planet-ring-leftovers are fairly pointless, the floppy head transformation comes off a little cheap, and mine has slightly loose hip joints (although I'm hoping to rectify that with some bostik).

Besides - is there really any use for a Unicron other than the giant planet staring down at me from my bookshelf?

Very good point (I’ve got mine doing just the same, only brandishing a Worlds Smallest G1 Megatron in walther mode at me like some giant horned Reservoir Dog. I call him Mr. Orange), but I think there's fun to be had from the premise of a Unicron brought down to regular transformers sized - he might not be the apocalypse itself, but now he represents the devil walking among us. Imagine a Transformers version of Angel Heart or Devil’s Advocate with this grinning psycho – it would be hysterical.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Welcome aboard.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Thanks everyone!

I caved in and bought Unicron the other day, and am quite chuffed. Poseability is great (loose hip-joints seem to be the norm, though - mine has that problem as well), and detailing is great.

And the size is actually great fun for the old imagination, as you've all been saying. I think rickety rat puts it best in his review:

Who can reseist bar Fights between Rodimus and Unicron

It's certainly something I'll be exploring when I get round to unpacking my Classics Rodimus!

Oh - Skywarps are still abound in Dumfries, and I noticed while in Edinburgh for a conference that there's shed loads of the purple fella there as well.