OTFCC Hasbro panel overview

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by davetherave
It's not illegal to copy your own molds.
Did anyone say or suggest it was?

Takara may feel that 'putty moulding' (shaping by existing example and then scratching out imperfections) undermines their reputation as a quality toy manufacturer.
Originally posted by Roadstripe
wasn't the Classics line sold in Europe essentially Hasbro's overstock from earlier
Doubtful—the 90/91 releases were a fairly even distribution of special teams, original Autobot cars, Dinobots, triple-changers, etc. Early moulds were brought out for the G2 line as well, so it's possible (even likely) that the Classic Heroes were a trial run for this.
davetherave
Protoform

Post by davetherave »

I miss understood "by copying their methods." I don't think takara are that bothered about their reputation if it could bring them money especially hasbro. Would you look down on them if they ressurected some figures you never had.

Byt the way their are other methods rather than making direct copies of an older figure. Technology has improved and is filtering down into smaller companies, you can even comission another company to do the work for you.
Roadstripe
Protoform

Post by Roadstripe »

Quoth davetherave:
Yeah I know that, I was refering to roadblock who has the gold plastic, which apparently breaks easy.

Oh. Sorry. :o

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Quoth Denyer:
Doubtful—the 90/91 releases were a fairly even distribution of special teams, original Autobot cars, Dinobots, triple-changers, etc. Early moulds were brought out for the G2 line as well, so it's possible (even likely) that the Classic Heroes were a trial run for this.

Okay. Thank you.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

I still say Takara and Hasbro should force any bootlegger they get hold of to restore lost molds for free instead of having them sent to jail. That way, their skills at least aren't wasted. ;)
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Sunstreaker was reissued as well, the whole Purchanse to Dream story in the comics was a big advert for the classic hero's, and there was even a compition to win the five toys (including Wheeljack and Sunstreaker, but not the mysterious villain of part six...), which I entered but didn't win. Pah. ;)
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Originally posted by Roadstripe
I think, Paladin Prime, that you're talking about Roadblock, a US G1 Decepticon Ultra Pretender from 1989. Metalhawk was a Japanese exclusive Pretender from the 1988 Masterforce line and the only Pretender to feature diecast parts.
Nope. I was thinking of the right one. I just didn't know he was made of diecast metal. I just saw the gold and figured GPS. If he's made of metal, that would be a bit more sturdy, huh?
Roadstripe
Protoform

Post by Roadstripe »

Quoth PaladinPrime:
Nope. I was thinking of the right one.

Sorry about that. :p I think I was getting some of the discussions in this thread mixed up and thereby confusing discussions about Metalhawk with discussions about Roadblock. :nonono:

I just didn't know he was made of diecast metal. I just saw the gold and figured GPS. If he's made of metal, that would be a bit more sturdy, huh?

Sure would. :) Gold plastic won't break if it isn't plastic. :D
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

LOL. True, true . . . :D
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Originally posted by Pun-3X
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Wheeljack sold in the "Classic" line (not the "Legends" line, where they packaged the inner bots of the regular character pretenders) issued in Europe? I thought that line came out in the later 80's (88? 89?) The mold might still exist for Wheeljack. Though, that means that they'd have to get it from storage in Europe, and that's saying it still exists.

Sorry to bump and derail this thread further (I'll split it if any more answers pop up, don't worry), but the Classics were not manufactured in Europe. In cases where the copyright stamp is not blocked out for whatever reason, they've been produced either in Macau or Taiwan.
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The Classics surely can't be taken as proof of mould existance, as we've had figures issued [or nearly issued] as recently as G2 which have doubts [didn't Archer list, or imply, that Devastator, Superion, Defensor and Menasor were all doubtful?]... Of course, as Soundwave taught us, never say never...

Also, if I was Hasbro or Takara I'd aim for a nice spread of reissues, not get all the fanboy faves out in the first couple of years, then have nowhere to really take the programme...