Transformers family relationships

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Transformers family relationships

Post by RUNAMOK »

How many transformers do have "relatives,” or something like that?

The whole idea of transformers being related to each other is a bit odd, but usually they have something in common.

i remember some, but there may be more:

G1:
Sideswipe and Sunstreaker are brothers (almost the same Lamborghini mode)
Quickswitch is Sixshots son (mentioned in a commercial, both have six modes)
Arcee is the great grand aunt of rattrap, or at least he said that
The clones were referred to as brothers, weren't they?

Japanese G1:
I think Dr. Spengler once said that Deathsaurus was married or something, but that may just be me who remember something wrong

Beast wars:
Trarantulas may have something to do with Unicron, or the spawn of Unicron was just an insult

R.I.D.:
There are the autobot brothers (all three of them are cars)

Armada:
If I remember correctly, did sideswipe refer to hotshot as brother, or was it just the "hey bro" attitude?

Energon:
Repaints are mentioned as brothers on techspeeches
Shockblast and Sixshot are definitely brothers (same mold)

Cybertron:
Some of repaints are also referred to as brothers (Swindle and Repungus if I remember correctly)

Are there more transformers who have some sort of "family"?
Halfshell

Re: Transformers family relationships

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by RUNAMOK
The whole idea of transformers being related to each other is a bit odd

Not if you factor in the notion of biomorphic reproduction (or, as I believe it was called in the media, "budding")
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Re: Re: Transformers family relationships

Post by RUNAMOK »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Not if you factor in the notion of biomorphic reproduction (or, as I believe it was called in the media, "budding")

aha....

I don't think I have heard that before, could you explain it a little?
Darclipto
Protoform

Post by Darclipto »

Optimus Primal is in some way an ancestor of Prime, or is that all of the Maximals?
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

You forgot about Greatshot. Though IIRC he was Sixshot himself.

And when it comes to Transformers having offspring, I'd imagine it's something like what happened to Kusanagi and Puppet Master.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I don't think I have heard that before, could you explain it a little?
Ever read the Generation 2 comic? Basic premise exists in there.

One upon a time, Transformers reproduced by what roughly equates to cellular division. Splitting themselves and their essences in two, thus creating a new lifeform.

[This is where we get the notion that they are asexual, and the notion of gender becomes redundant.]

Anyway, all this was wicked evil and stuff or something, so there was a race-wide memory block put upon it and it just... stopped. Everybody forgot about it and carried on without it.

Until Jhiaxus discovered it and built an army through the method. However with each generation, the core essence got diluted (imagine taking a photocopy of a photocopy... then copying that... etc. It all ends up very faint) and they all became drones with no real respect for life.

Of course there was also the nasty byproduct of an energy discharge each time, which cumulated into a living cloud of destructive energy called The Swarm which decided to eat the universe. Which, in retrospect, is probably why the entire process was stopped [presumably by the Matrix] in the first place.
Originally posted by Tetsuro
You forgot about Greatshot. Though IIRC he was Sixshot himself.

If my understanding is correct, that's just supposition. I don't think there's anything canonical to directly support them.
RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Ever read the Generation 2 comic?

well, there was my problem, I have never read the G2 comics.
Thanks for the info
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

well, there was my problem, I have never read the G2 comics.

And now you don't need to, Brend just ruined it for you. (Psssst, in Unbreakable, Sam Jackson is basically a human Shockwave).
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
BWW 2000
Protoform

Post by BWW 2000 »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
(Psssst, in Unbreakable, Sam Jackson is basically a human Shockwave). [/B]

What, in terms of being devoted to logic, scheming in order to gain power or being capable of emitting various types of rays in alternate mode...or maybe he was just a suck-up like cartoon Shockers? ;)
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Big and purple.
Jordi S3
Protoform

Post by Jordi S3 »

Families of robots..., sounds really human being robots..., I know since the G1 comics that there were some relatives, but, since then it sounded very rare for a robot race... Could them have same periods of built up, but brothers..., is a two much human fact...:eyebrow: ;)
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I have always regarded the 'brothers' thing as a way of expressing the production runs for groups of identical individuals. That would make a 'family' possible. Then there's the 'family' created when an elder builds a new generation (rather than a clone), presumably using their own programme as the basis but modified as required.

The binary fission cloning process would mean that all TFs are pretty well related, coming from the original group of 13 (did the Fallen get it on?). The things that really worried me about this method were that a) every generation of TFs would be smaller than their progenitor and b) they would all be versions of the original unit and c) the progenitors would all be female, which they clearly ain't!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Gouki

Post by Gouki »

Is it possible that Stepper could be considered Jazz's/Meiseter's brother, as they both have the same alt-mode?
"Give into the Demon inside... Shun Goku Sattsu!"
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

No, but he could be Meister's. ;)

Seriously... umh... no evidence to support such a notion. Far as I know, the only canonical appearance of [or reference to] Stepper was in one of the manga strips. And I doubt they regarded the issue as important enough to address within it.

Unless it's in his tech spec...
exodus42
Protoform

Post by exodus42 »

Too bad you never really see child bots. Okay Wheelie was referred to as child but, he was the only one in like, 40,000,000 years. and if the cellular division stopped how did we get young scrappers like Hot Rod or Springer.

I agree with the production line theory, that when two molds of similar looks is created they have a bond.

Also I've given thought to whether there were creators like A3 that specialized in creating TFs. That would bring about a certain "family " feel to a particular group. Just a theory.
If you want "peace" the only thing you must do is...DIE
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by exodus42
and if the cellular division stopped how did we get young scrappers like Hot Rod or Springer.
Best I can fathom, the only division was in the split that created the new Transformer. They don't then continue to grow beyond that.

I dare say Hot Rod and Springer were created in much the same way their contempories were - manufacture.

Bear in mind that the biomorphic thang is a comic-only device. In the cartoon, we only ever saw them being built fresh.

Kup's elderliness and Hot Rod's youth are simply down age - in the same way that Bluestreak is older than Silverbolt. It's a matter of experience leading maturity of personality.

If a Transformer is small, they stay small, regardless of age. :)
exodus42
Protoform

Post by exodus42 »

I've always felt that the comics and the cartoon should have a simultanious procession, but that was laid down when Unicron came into the picture. I liked the comic version better, the show told us a little green man from somewhere built him and that giant biomechanical bird/dragon from G1 that hatched from the Combaticons asteroid. That was truly anti-climactic.
If you want "peace" the only thing you must do is...DIE
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I've always felt that the comics and the cartoon should have a simultanious procession, but that was laid down when Unicron came into the picture. I liked the comic version better, the show told us a little green man from somewhere built him and that giant biomechanical bird/dragon from G1 that hatched from the Combaticons asteroid. That was truly anti-climactic.

Bathos.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jordi S3
Protoform

Post by Jordi S3 »

Too bad you never really see child bots. Okay Wheelie was referred to as child but, he was the only one in like, 40,000,000 years. and if the cellular division stopped how did we get young scrappers like Hot Rod or Springer.

I agree with the production line theory, that when two molds of similar looks is created they have a bond.

Also I've given thought to whether there were creators like A3 that specialized in creating TFs. That would bring about a certain "family " feel to a particular group. Just a theory.

I always considered the 4 million years two much time, an absurdity, don't you? considering the TFs some kind of computers, and in our society they double the capacity each 18 months, imagine in all that time the progression on performance they should get, a nonsense, they would be Gods... For the computers all would happen slowly, due to the speed they could work...

Thinking on the time from the G1 comics..., I considered between 5 to 10 yrs to run the story (or 100 yrs as an extreme...)

Brainstorming in a possible origin of the TF, the most racional option I get, would be some kind of robot mass production cause, like a previous war, that would extinguished the original builders.

RUNAMOK
Protoform

Post by RUNAMOK »

were optimus and utlra magnus not brothers in DW or something like that?