Cradle robbing

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sociopathic Autobot

Cradle robbing

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

Alright, who here has dated someone significantly younger than them?

I ask because right now I'm in a relationship with someone a few years younger than me and it's made me rather un-easy. While it hasn't made me want to leave the relationship it has made me feel awkward so I thought the best way to cheer me up would be to know it's common.... it is common... right?

So out with it people! Have you ever dated someone younger than you?!
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Whisper
Protoform

Post by Whisper »

I haven't personally, but it certainly isn't uncommon.

In fact, I know of a couple who have been happily married for a few years now, and have recently spawned a baby girl.

The age difference?

16 years... :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Maltby's, what, about 3 years younger than me. My brother's other half is something like 5 years... that one's a considerable gap considering his age (i.e. it's about 25% at the mo), but when you think "30 and 25" it doesn't sound odd at all.
Hound

Post by Hound »

My father is nearly 2 years older than my mother. My sister's boyfriend is 3 years older, I think...
CloudStrifer
Protoform

Post by CloudStrifer »

My Fiancee is 6 months younger than me. Her sister is 30, her husband is 25. Common where I come from. Whats not common is anywhere from 10-100 years difference.
Sociopathic Autobot

It's funny.

20 to 17 looks like I'm robbing the cradle.

21 to 18 and no one cares.

"Well she's in college, she knows what she's doing."
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Sades

Post by Sades »

Yep, told you. you're a cradle robber, and a mushroom. :p

It's all down to individuals I think. Don't think I could go with someone that much younger than me, but I've no problem with older men.

[Well... older within limits anyway. If they're much older, it just feels a bit creepy after awhile.]

You have enough people telling you it's common enough. If you're good with it and she's good with it, then what's the problem?

There's no problems. Everybody's happy. Things're good, yes? Yes, I think so.

Quit being such a damn Elmo.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sociopathic Autobot

Originally posted by saysadie

Quit being such a damn Elmo.

she's elmo too. It's elmotastic
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
ravimus prime
Protoform

Post by ravimus prime »

My sister is 21, her boyfriend is 28...
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

Theres something downright genetic with women being attracted to older men (the alpha male, protector of the pack), and men being attracted to younger women (genetically speaking, lifespans of humans were so low for so long that reproducing while a woman was young was pretty important). Also related is the near pandemic fantasy that men have of being with more than one woman at a time (the alpha male of a pack of primates has mating privileges with the females).

Er.....I mean, don't let it bother you.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I think age is only an issue if someone wants it to be.

I think that dating someone younger than you can be more difficult depending on how young we're talking about but it's only an issue if you let it be.

One thing you have to understand about dating someone younger than you is that a person's personality will change as they mature. So things like dating a 17 year old when you are around 23 is probably a bad idea in the long term as the 17 year old is going to make some dramatic changes in the type of person they are very rapidly. You'd start out dating someone you get along with and might end up with someone you can't stand in just a few years time.

I know for me the type of person I was at 18 was completely different from the person I was at 21. So if I were you, Myles, I would be prepared for that.
the_escaflowne_2k
Protoform

Post by the_escaflowne_2k »

I've only been out with girls younger than myself, biggest difference was roughly 3 years. I dont know too many other people around my age where i am at the moment who do though, aside from my best female friend whos going out with someone who's 4 years older than her, they've been going out 4 years now and they've stayed relatively strong ( the odd hiccup but in 4 years thats expected).
Like Hound i believe the only real time its a major matter is round the 18-21 area, specifically with the moving away to uni aspect for a lot of people.
"all i can say is that my life is pretty plain, you don't like my point of view you think that i'm insane"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There's about a decade between my parents.

Having said that, people usually tend to be quite different people pre- and post- university age... there's a disconnect even between first and second years.
Sociopathic Autobot

To be honest I'm not even 20 yet, so this whole "attitude may change thing" still applies to me aswell.

I doubt I've stopped growing, learning and changing before I even hit 20. Now that said, the only difference between me now and me when I was 17 is I'm not as tempremental, I am not as introverted and afraid of other people so it's not like there is a guarenteed massive change in attitude waiting in the wings.

And if there is, then there is. We will deal with that if we're still together when we get to that point. Until then, this cradle has been robbed, and I ain't putting it back.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
"insert name here"
Protoform

Post by "insert name here" »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Maltby's, what, about 3 years younger than me.

yes, although where we're at in our lives is about the same, plus mental age!

theres 7 years between my parents (my dad being older). I think the older you get the less it matters.
Sociopathic Autobot

Originally posted by "insert name here"

theres 7 years between my parents (my dad being older). I think the older you get the less it matters.

That's exactly it.

17 - 20 baaaaad.

22 - 25 no one cares.

Edit: Is it bad that every time Cliffy says her name I think about "Kirk"? :o
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Denyer
there's a disconnect even between first and second years.

First years are dicks, second years are smug dicks? I actually found that, generally, there's a huge regression at university age... Compared to college, university's a bit more like secondary school.
optihut
Protoform

Post by optihut »

Originally posted by Sociopathic Autobot
It's funny.

20 to 17 looks like I'm robbing the cradle.

21 to 18 and no one cares.

"Well she's in college, she knows what she's doing."
That's the way I always understood it as well: The term cradle robbing applies when someone at age 18+ is dating someone younger than 18. An age difference alone doesn't make you a cradle robber. For instance, the term doesn't apply to Michael Douglas, although there's a 20 year age difference between them, simply because Catherine Zeta-Jones was 30ish when they got together.
"Negativity creates nothing!" The Colonel, Orguss 02
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

At work a guy who was at school with my younger brother is in a blissfully happy relationship with a woman who went to school with my Aunty. A coulpe with a similar 20ish year age gap are just about to have their first kid, so age really is no obstacle to love. Especialy if they're rich and likely to pop their clogs in just a few years.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
so age really is no obstacle to love.

Those were Mr Glitter's final words in his amazing closing statement that not only cleared him of all charges but insured his 12 million dollar recording contract.
-Alex???