The Greatest Canadian?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sociopathic Autobot

The Greatest Canadian?

Post by Sociopathic Autobot »

Now this is a question I want put out to everyone here. The CBC has started this and after a few months of voting the top ten were taken and will now be voted on to see who is truley the greatest Canadian. They include: Wayne Gretzky, Don Cherry, Terry Fox, Pierre Trudeau, Tommy Douglas, Alexander Graham Bell, Sir John A. McDonald, Lester B. Pearson, Dr. David Suzuki, Sir Frederick Banting.

Now the first question is: Do you know who each of these people are without looking anything up?

The second question is: Which one of them is the greatest? After a little while if it appears that a lot of people do not know who each person is and what they did I will explain. I am doing this to test something friend said wouldn't be true if this was put out to non-canadians.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Jim

Post by Jim »

Where's Jim Carrey? =-(
Xille
Protoform

Re: The Greatest Canadian?

Post by Xille »

Originally posted by Sociopathic Autobot
Now the first question is: Do you know who each of these people are without looking anything up?
No, because I am American and I refuse to know anything about people from the past. The only occasional exception I will make for this statement is if the person I'm supposed to know is indeed American.

;)
The second question is: Which one of them is the greatest?

I honestly don't know who all of them are, but I would have to say Bell for now.
Artwork by Jackpot, sig by Denyer. Both of them are awesome!
Click the sig to go to Jackpot's site.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Originally posted by Jim
Where's Jim Carrey? =-(

Also where's Jim Cameron?
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Jim

Post by Jim »

Originally posted by Cyberstrike nTo
Also where's Jim Cameron?

He made Titanic, so he doesn't get counted.
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Word!

I know who Bell and Gretsky are.

I say they should make me a Canadian citizen just so the honor can be mine. Then, every nation on earth can do that, so they can elect me in their respective countries. That would show my ex that she's made a mistake in dumping me.
Amarant Odinson
Protoform

Post by Amarant Odinson »

I know who each one of them are. But that's because I'm Canadian and actually payed attention in history class when I was a kid.

As for who do I think is the Greatest Canadian? I'd have to go with Pierre Trudeau because of all of the things he did while was PM of Canada. He was a man that truly stood up for Canada. No matter how much the States tried to bully him into things, he'd stand frim and look out for Canada's best interests. He was a man that put his country first, which is important considering most politicians don't do that today.
WRESTLING:
In Canada, its a Tradition... in Mexico, its a Religion.... in Japan, its a Sport... in America.... Its a Joke.

Gesani
Protoform

Post by Gesani »

hmm the greatest canadian would have to be william shatner..
Scarrita
Protoform

Post by Scarrita »

Originally posted by Gesani
hmm the greatest canadian would have to be william shatner..

You beat me to it. :smokin:
Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe
something your intellect would otherwise cause
you to reject -- otherwise there's no need for faith.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Unless one of them is personally responsible for alcohol or pizza, Bell's the best.
Osku
Protoform

Post by Osku »

Always ready to help in this kind questionaries., despite it's humiliating to notice how little one knows about other countries. :(

I know for certain who Wayne Gretzky and Alexander Graham Bell. Though I can't understand why Gretzky is there.

I think Pierre Trudeau is Canada's former influencial politician (long time prime minister?).

Some of the names sound familiar and I have some vague quesses. Sir John A. McDonald and Dr. David Suzuki mostly and I'm propably ashamed when I cut & paste the names to google.
Edit: Checked, Suzuki was who I thought, but didn't know much about him.

Couldn't honestly say I remember anything about Don Cherry, Terry Fox, Tommy Douglas, Lester B. Pearson are Sir Frederick Banting.

Bell propably. Not a single woman in that group?
Dead Pool
Protoform

Post by Dead Pool »

BRYAN ADAMS... TEE HEE, THAT STUDLY DREAMMMY HUNK OF MAN.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Gretzky
1921\4\6-2010\1\21 Goodbye Grandma, I love you
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

It really depends what our definition of 'greatest' is, I guess...

Banting and Bell have certainly had the greatest effect on the world as a whole, what with discovering Insulin and inventing the telephone. Trudeau, Douglas and Pearson have all had a great effect on the country, and all three of them deserve to be considered great politicians. McDonald too. Don Cherry and David Suzuki are national treasures, but they really haven't contributed anything of value to the country or the world. Gretzky is probably the most beloved man in the country, whereas Terry Fox was a true hero and incredably brave.

I'd actually be tempted to say Georges-Etienne Cartier or William Lyon Mackenzie King. Maybe Louis Riel, though I'd have reservations about that (while he was a great man, he wasn't exactly a loyal Canadian).

If I had to choose from the ten listed I'd say Lester B. Pearson.
Sociopathic Autobot

I am guessing you don't know very much about what Dr.David Suzuki has done Warcry? And Pearson is up there for what he had to do with creating the UN.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I am guessing you don't know very much about what Dr.David Suzuki has done Warcry? And Pearson is up there for what he had to do with creating the UN.
Pearson is up there for a lot more than that. The national adoption of universal medicare, the creation of the current Canadian flag, the Canada Pension Plan, and official bilingualism all occured during his tenure in office, IIRC. He also won a Nobel Peace Prize for his involvement in the Suez Canal affair. But all in all, his effect on our country was a lot greater than his effect on the world.

Suzuki has certainly done a lot to benefit environmental causes. He's also one of the foremost spokesmen for the Japanese-Canadian community and an outspoken opponent of racism. But while all of that is impressive, the only reason he made the top ten is because he has a long-running TV show.
homerbot
Protoform

Post by homerbot »

colin mockery
Words suck. Down with words! -saysadie
To actually say which candidate has the better Iraq policy is like saying which Twinkie is more healthy. -Ultimate Weapon
I'd totally hit that Krystal chick...if she were real and sex with animals wasn't illegal. -Drspengler
Sociopathic Autobot

Originally posted by homerbot
colin mockery

If you want to try and de-rail my thread atleast spell his god damn name right.
SAGE GOES IN ALL FIELDS
homerbot
Protoform

Post by homerbot »

If you want to try and de-rail my thread atleast spell his god damn name right.
ok fine, alexander graham bell, only because the only other one i know is gretzky and i do not worship hockey players, or any other sport for that matter
Words suck. Down with words! -saysadie
To actually say which candidate has the better Iraq policy is like saying which Twinkie is more healthy. -Ultimate Weapon
I'd totally hit that Krystal chick...if she were real and sex with animals wasn't illegal. -Drspengler
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

I'd have to go with Trudeau. Although Canada wouldn't really be Canada without John A. McDonald.

Gretzky and Fox are great inspirations to everyone, and Bell definately made the biggest impact on the world.

Don Cherry is entertaining, but he should definately not have made the top 10. Supid Leaf fans.

Oh and Luis Riel was ranked #11, while Jim Carrey was somewhere around #25.