You! Who do you hate?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Brendocon
be aware that I don't care if you're nominating the cartoon version, comic version or Ladybird book version - you don't need to specify that. By "series" I meant G1/BW/MW/BM/Whatever, not media.
Surely that renders the exercise completely random, then, as (to take an example) UK comic Optimus Prime isn't the same character as Japanese cartoon Optimus.

The reason most people hate a character is because another character in another product is like a twisted mirror image...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Well, the exercise is to find the most disliked Transformer, irrespective of people's reasons.

Compare to the Trannies - the favourite TF category doesn't make the distinction, ergo I'm not.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Originally posted by Almighty Galvatron
not hates the comics that much. hates the way most characters seem devoid of any sort of intelligence most of the time, sitting round with their thumbs up their arses, not helped by absolutely appaling plots that make Carnage in C Minor look like Shakespeare. budiansky = cr@p

Yes... Blaster does nothing in the Comics, niether does Grimlock. No those two do nothing at all ever.

I love the Cartoon but the Characters and plots in marvel Comics are infinitely better bar maybe a few characters (Brawn off the top of my head who you have as bad in the cartoon.)

The only characters I truley despise from anywhere are:

Beast Machines Black Arachnia
Night Scream
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Well, the exercise is to find the most disliked Transformer, irrespective of people's reasons.
They aren't the same Transformer: "John Wayne" Optimus isn't the same as "Atari ST" Optimus any more than "Firetruck" or "Superpants" Optimus is...
Compare to the Trannies
...which is only worth reading for the slew of quotes, and those were cut severely in the last instance.
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Huffer
Post Movie Grimlock
Comic Ratbat
Scrapper
Tigertron (Schmuk!)
Quickstrike
Botanica
RiD Optimus Prime
RiD Megatron
X-Brawn
~*ShadowDancer*~

Post by ~*ShadowDancer*~ »

1 Cosmos
2 Seaspray
3 Blurr - G1
4 Rattrap
5 Ultra Magnus - The only tf that runs on a windows os. Can't multitask ;)
6 Warpath - Anyone else equate him with Clunk from 'Stop the Pidgeon'?
7 Trypticon
8 Dogfight
9 Laserbeak - Armada, just looks like a gimp...
10 Broadside

Ed: Subs Skybite, Ironhide (RiD) - (Cowprint?!? Argh!) & BW Megs for 1, 2 & 6.
~*SD*~
Proud Member of The Mini Owner's Club.

Links:

Shadow's Site - *Updated 22-03-04!*

Message board

Micro Mart Magazine
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Wow, I forgot about Warpath. I somehow managed to block him out. Gee, thanks for retraumatizing me, SD! ;) :p
~*ShadowDancer*~

Post by ~*ShadowDancer*~ »

Originally posted by PaladinPrime
Wow, I forgot about Warpath. I somehow managed to block him out. Gee, thanks for retraumatizing me, SD! ;) :p

*Takes a bow*

Just doing my *pow! boom!*job ;)
~*SD*~
Proud Member of The Mini Owner's Club.

Links:

Shadow's Site - *Updated 22-03-04!*

Message board

Micro Mart Magazine
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Stop it! STOP IT! STOP IT!

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!

*clutches head in pain*
Garand

Post by Garand »

I can't beleive I might be the first say these..

Carlos (Armada)
Rad (Armada)
Billy (Armada)
Fred (Armada)

I yeild the remander of my nominations to whomever needs 6 more..
Blitzwing 2
Protoform

Post by Blitzwing 2 »

Originally posted by Garand
I can't beleive I might be the first say these..

Carlos (Armada)
Rad (Armada)
Billy (Armada)
Fred (Armada)

I yeild the remander of my nominations to whomever needs 6 more..

Demolisher
Red Alert Armada
Pipes
Cyclonus Armada
Thrust BM
Tigerhawk
"Your brush with greatness is over!"

JAWS vs. Chucky
This could be great: Chucky is a stowaway on some kids' boat and he tries to kill them. They jump overboard and JAWS eats them before Chucky can get 'em. Chucky swears "smile you son of a bitch" and dives into the water for one final showdown
A quote that I stole from someone from somewhere else
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Denyer
They aren't the same Transformer: "John Wayne" Optimus isn't the same as "Atari ST" Optimus any more than "Firetruck" or "Superpants" Optimus is...

Technically, they are the same Transformer. They're just characterised differently.

Though, to be fair, I did specify character in the first post. And, as I'm sure people have vastly contradicting views over the BW and BM portrayals of many characters, I'll cede on this one.

So, for the purposes of clarity, if everybody could clearly indicate if their nomination is based on the weight of a certain media, it would help matters. That way I can list them seperately.

Ergo, rather than just have "Optimus Prime," I can list it as:

Optimus Prime (cartoon)
Optimus Prime (comic)

That's presuming that there are nominations for both versions, of course. Which I believe there are.
Aero Blade

Post by Aero Blade »

Alright, for sake of clarification, all my nominations are from the G1 Cartoon. I'll relist them here again, but if want to see the commentaries, they're back on the first page, about 5 posts from the top.

Scourge
Cliffjumper
Springer
Swindle
Starscream
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Technically, they are the same Transformer. They're just characterised differently.
Only if people can agree on what constitutes the basis which is then characterised differently... ie, what a 'Transformer' is.

In the case of 'G1', the so-called TF Bible notes (or the tech-specs) could be taken as a basis. However, it's hard to argue that PM Optimus (comics) retains anything apart from the name—he's a clone, and an erratic one at that. In that vein, each 'incarnation' of other characters in other continuities becomes a distinct 'Transformer' if they deviate sufficiently from a gobbet of original characterisation. They also have life events which specifically clash with other continuities—not different characterisation, but different timelines.

It's an interesting question... particularly when you have multiple Megatrons and multiple Galvatrons running around, even within the same continuity.

Thus, the only demonstrable commonality between, say, US cartoon and US comic Ratbat is that they were based on the same toy—which is problematic considering that Arcee didn't have a toy for anything to be based on. There were design notes from somewhere, presumably, but the disparate events portrayed in those two continuities rule out their being the same Transformer, even if they were founded on one set of source material.

I think it's only the first few people who weren't entirely clear on continuity... I think Aero Blade, mark and fort_max are all cartoon-oriented, and several other people have produced a mix.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Originally posted by Denyer
Only if people can agree

*buzzer sounds*

I think we've found the flaw. ;)

Seriously, though. I was taking the view of toy-as-common-factor in determining exactly what a Transformer is for this specific debate.

I try and keep the notion that the toy comes first, therefore is the definitive, with it being down to individual preference for continuity after that.
Which does itself cause problems. An example would be Tidalwave/Shockwave at the moment. To all intents and purposes, they're the same toy. However they have different colour schemes, making them distinct. Though they represent the same character.

See? Too much hassle. I knew I was going to lump together before I started, so what on Earth possessed me to specifically say character is beyond me.
s2h
Protoform

Post by s2h »

Comic OP blew himself up because he felt bad about winning a computer game. That from the greatest leader of the Autobots of all time. How did they last 4 million Years without him?

Who thought that was a good idea in the comics in the first place?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Budiansky only really saw the characters in terms of toys by that stage in the writing. That's the explanation, anyway.

In terms of plot, I'd conjecture he was suffering a nervous breakdown as a result of the seemingly endless war. Similarly, the 'Prime' which was built from the optical disk engram wasn't actually Optimus until he regained the matrix.

I'm still working on an plot-suitable explanation for why PM Prime has the matrix in "Time Wars"...