POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Heinrad

Re: POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Heinrad »

Warcry wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:18 pm Legacy Nemesis Leo Prime

This is the first "Nemesis" figure to make it out as a retail figure in a while, I think? The Siege and Earthrise Optimuses, Kingdom Primal and Legacy Laser Prime all got the black redeco treatment but I think all of those were exclusives? It's kind of funny that the least-known design of the bunch is the one that they kept in circulation with a redeco.
Scourge/Black Convoy/Black Battle Convoy I found at retail. That being said, it was Walmart, and I think I heard something about the Velocitron stuff being a Walmart exclusive, so who knows.

That being said, after both Laser Rod Optimus Prime and BBC, I think I'm done with the mold now. I just need to get around to ordering the Toyhax labels for Prime's trailer. I also pre-ordered the Buzzworthy Bumblebee 'Shuttle Victim' set, because I like the Ironhide mold even if battle damaged - mold alterations are a selling point - and with some screwdriver work I can have an Earthrise Prowl with no clear plastic. But that is kind of the thing. I like the Ironhide mold, but aside from getting a non-clear plastic version, it was Prowl that sold me on it. Actually, depending on how the pins are, it might be easier to just swap the heads and chest plates on Ironhide, although it looks like it's a brighter red in the pictures.

One thing that's kind of surprised me, and I heard this complaint from somebody reviewing the set, wouldn't it have made more sense to release regular non-clear plastic versions in Buzzworthy and make the Shuttle Victim set a Pulse exclusive? Instead of releasing the Shuttle Victim set to Target retail with the inevitable non-clear plastic version of at least Ironhide released at some point down the road. And are they going to release a non-clear plastic version of Jazz at some point? Hopefully not the G2 version. That one makes my eyes burn.

And have we heard anything about Ratchet yet?
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Evolution Armada Optimus Prime -Bought from Big W, during their toy sale.

Platinum Edition Beast Machines Air Attack Optimus Primal - Bought from a seller from the TCCA B/S/T.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Evolution Animated Universe Prowl

Legacy Evolution Shrapnel
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

EarthSpark Grimlock. How the actual **** does Imgur think that either of these photos may contain erotic or adult imagery? Crap image recognition to be used as an excuse to delete existing content en masse? Or is it just a "you must be 18+" click through on every gallery? Guessing the site will be folding in the next few years. And they seemed to be doing so well for an image hosting site.

I think TF packaging has reached the point of going backwards and actually putting me off buying. What happened to the paper ties? There's a ridiculous number of plastic tags on this and they're all dangerous to pets and kids. The best approach I've found is to tear the backing cardboard and leave one side of each tag attached, but it's decidedly annoying. Apart from the odd forced perspective of tapering into the waist, due to slavishly following a formula established around the time of Animated, and a particularly small head, the robot mode hits the right notes without being particularly exciting.

Grimlock has the same transformation as the Cyberverse one but few if any of the same parts. He feels noticeably small compared to the G1 toy and of course most of the stand-out modern versions feel like they've been voyagers rather than deluxes (no idea if that's actually the case, haven't been keeping close track).

https://i.imgur.com/NBySCkB.jpeg

I also have no idea who the Mandroid character is and no intention of watching the show, but someone was having fun with the build-a-toy concept by selecting a leg for this package. It's just annoying that a marketing gimmick more suited to Marvel Legends than a kids line has probably meant no blast effect is included, unlike the Cyberverse toy. It's the same attachment if you've got one, and I'll link the video that convinced me this was worth checking out at the bottom. Unlike the earlier toy with the same transformation scheme, which had a decent robot mode but very stylised alt mode features, this actually looks like the original.

https://i.imgur.com/iCWe3xY.jpeg

In closing, I get the feeling this was designed in CAD software and downsized slightly to achieve a reduction in plastic volume. And frankly the asymmetrical leg transformation is a bit too involved to be fun for the target age audience, and means there's definitely a side that displays better. But the other minor negative points (hands that could have folded in better to the arms, fixed position dino arms that might be more likely to break as a result, and odd jaw hinge) aren't really a big deal. He's fun and hits the right balance of angles, colours and homage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37qmlFGEh28
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Denyer wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:31 pm And they seemed to be doing so well for an image hosting site.
They've been a very good image-hosting site, but it seems like what they and their investors are trying to be is a social media site. And right now they're hosting a ton of adult images that are being posted to places like Reddit to drive business to OnlyFans, something which I'd imagine makes a lot of money for the girls in question and a metric ton for OF (and probably a bit for Reddit and the other intermediary sites as well). Why would they want to provide free hosting services that make money for, and drive engagement on, every platform except theirs? So it makes complete sense, as long as you're a venture capital suit who's deluded yourself into believing that imgur is one brilliant idea away from being the next Instagram and not an ugly, buggy website with a terrible UI that looks like it was designed in 1998.
Denyer wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:31 pmI think TF packaging has reached the point of going backwards and actually putting me off buying. What happened to the paper ties? There's a ridiculous number of plastic tags on this and they're all dangerous to pets and kids. The best approach I've found is to tear the backing cardboard and leave one side of each tag attached, but it's decidedly annoying.
The packaging has gotten progressively more and more hostile over the last couple decades. Between the flimsy cardboard that doesn't actually protect anything, the open boxes with no plastic window and those awful ties that you mentioned, I'd rate the modern stuff about as badly as the all-plastic, hermetically-sealed G2 clamshells.

The paper ties are great because you can just take scissors to them from the back of the card, but they probably take an extra few seconds per toy to assemble in the factory than the plastic ones, so you know what Hasbro's going to go with.
Denyer wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:31 pmGrimlock has the same transformation as the Cyberverse one but few if any of the same parts. He feels noticeably small compared to the G1 toy and of course most of the stand-out modern versions feel like they've been voyagers rather than deluxes (no idea if that's actually the case, haven't been keeping close track).
I feel like Grimlock's one of those rare characters who've gotten toys in every size bracket from Core to third-party MPs that are almost a foot tall. I'd instinctively say the same thing as you but I don't know either if that's accurate or if it's just because Voyager is about the size that I think he should be thanks to the old Marvel books.

I've never bought one, but a lot of the recent kid-show Grimlocks have had a cute, chunky look to them and this one is no different. I like them but never enough to actually go buy any.

It's been sixteen or seventeen years (!) but I still wish they'd made a full team of Dinobots with the same aesthetic as Classics Grimlock. That's still probably my favourite take on the character.
Denyer wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:31 pmIt's just annoying that a marketing gimmick more suited to Marvel Legends than a kids line
I feel like it sucks in Marvel Legends too. I have a bin somewhere in the basement with fifty or sixty random arms, legs, torsos and heads that I will never, ever do anything with vs. three completed BAFs. And one of those, I didn't even want...I just happened to wind up with all the parts more or less by accident. It seems like a monumental waste of plastic, and I'm always surprised to see fans out there who think that BAF parts are a positive.
Denyer wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:31 pmIn closing, I get the feeling this was designed in CAD software and downsized slightly to achieve a reduction in plastic volume.
A lot of toys these days make me feel this way. Whether because of penny-pinching or alignment to an almighty scale chart, a fair few Kingdom, Studio Series and Legacy toys feel like they're 10% or 20% smaller than they needed to be, to actually be good.

A new acquisition for me:

Legacy Cloudcover
I'm a hopeless sucker for random cannon-fodder Seekers. Between the Classics Deluxe and the Earthrise Voyager I own what is basically the exact same toy eleven times over, and I would happily make it twelve if they announced a new Sunstorm or Earth-mode camo Acid Storm. An intervention might be warranted at this point.

Cloudcover is honestly very eye-catching, though. The baby blue/sky blue/white/black deco is pretty, though the yellow and black checkerboard bits feel a bit out of place. Overall the figure looks classy and subdued, and not at all in keeping with a line of "too ugly even for G2!" redecos. It's easy to look at the other Toxitron Collection figures and see exactly why they went unreleased, but Cloudcover is significantly nicer-looking than either of the G2 seekers that they actually put out in the 90s.

He makes for a nice trio with Sandstorm and Ramjet.

Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:imgur is one brilliant idea away from being the next Instagram
I'm never sure how any hosting site is viable, but they seemed to be doing okay with memes and a bit of community stuff. Just not in a "next big thing" kind of way. If they don't want to deal with adult content (although it's a shame to see payment processors and fringe nutjobs such as Exodus Cry influencing things) then fair enough, but they need to be able to recognise it a whole lot better.

The grid/pixel pattern on the back of Cloudcover came out really well. I like the concept of 'alternate' groupings, the Starscream/Thundercracker/Skywap grouping is so tired by this point. Haven't gotten around to picking up an example of that mould.
Warcry wrote:from Core to third-party MPs that are almost a foot tall
Yeah, the chromed OS KO of the MP is basically twelve inches tall. And that photo surprisingly didn't trigger any warning about obscene robot dinosaur content:

https://i.imgur.com/gnQaV4b.jpeg

I could go for updated Dinobots with a Classics Grimlock style, as long as they got rid of that head-splitting jaws=feet part of the transformation. Can't reconcile the logic of sticking a bunch of sensors on extremities next to the ground.
Warcry wrote:I feel like it sucks in Marvel Legends too. I have a bin somewhere in the basement with fifty or sixty random arms, legs, torsos and heads that I will never, ever do anything with vs. three completed BAFs. And one of those, I didn't even want...I just happened to wind up with all the parts more or less by accident. It seems like a monumental waste of plastic, and I'm always surprised to see fans out there who think that BAF parts are a positive.
I think it's kept them more viable at retail, because so many figure are deep cuts. I'd prefer it if the BAFs were regular-scale obscure characters so that the parts were more useful for customising, but get that it's also a way of putting out oversized characters without a different price point. And it means there's always plenty of ML custom fodder on eBay.

I just can't see how it adds much for kid lines that are principally bought as special occasion purchases, not for completism. It feels more as if Hasbro is throwing stuff against the wall to see if anything sticks.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Evolution Crosscut,

Generations Selects Magnificus.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Masterpiece Some Numbers SenatorCrosscut
That could use a space. It's the Silver version of the Skids mould with the Diaclone head! What a lovely mould this is. Even after two of the buggers, I still find this is a great great mould. Transformation is nice and fun and the robot mode looks great. No holo-driver for the Scooter with this one, but that's not a big deal for me. I do like these Diaclone MP releases. And now Road Rage can body guard the good Senator. Hooray :)

Legacy Evolution Dirge
After all the booey Exclusives that came out over the last few years, it's nice to see at least Dirge showing up (crosses fingers for Ramjet and Thrust) again. I like the Coneheads for their colours and Dirge looks great. Misses the extra pop the original toy's stickers gave the wings in jet mode, but I am happy with him and his shouty face. I'm also pleased that this Legacy release doesn't pretend getting the robot to hold his guns is some kind of hyperactive 'EVO FUSION MODE!!!'.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Studio Series +01 Gamer Edition Bumblebee (War for Cybertron)

Studio Series +02 Gamer Edition Barricade (War for Cybertron)

Studio Series +03 Gamer Edition Optimus Prime (War for Cybertron)

Bought on discount from Amazon AU.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

It was the groans from down the corridor that caught their attention. Dinobot broke into a run, pulling his sword as he loped towards danger. Rattrap followed with far less enthusiasm.

“Why’re we runnin’ towards danger, Choppaface? You tryin’ ta get killed?”

“No, Vermin! We are running to glorious battle!”

Rattrap sighed. “Great. We’re gonna die.”

“What makes you say that?”

“Have ya SEEN th’ size’a all’a these Autobots? I’m surprised we ain’t been stepped on yet!”

“That is why we must fall in battle! It’s the only way we can go to silicon Valhalla!”

Rattrap was about to reply when they skidded around the corner and found themselves face to foot with the bottom of Prowl’s right foot. They peered around the side of the foot, seeing Prowl slumped against the wall, the headlights in his chest cracked, an angry burn mark on his torso and carbon scoring, the look on his face pure agony.

Ironhide, who was standing nearby, looked even more battered, the windshield in his chest shattered, revealing damaged components beneath. Unlike Prowl, his look was a look of pained fury.

“What th’ slag happened t’you two?”

Prowl groaned, his tone dazed. “It was supposed to be easy. A cake walk.”

“Still don’t explain why we had’ta be there.”

Prowl shrugged, then winced. “Yeah. I hear that.” He cast his pain filled gaze towards Rattrap and Dinobot. “It depends on how familiar you two are with human cultural trends.”

Rattrap and Dinobot both shook their heads.

Prowl nodded. “There are two very popular singers, Taylor Swift and Beyoncé. Both are currently on tour, and both tours happened to converge on a nearby city. So both singers decided to give the fans a treat and do a combined concert.”

“An’ ‘cause some humans’re throwin’ stuff at th’ people on stage, th’ organizers asked Optimus ta loan ‘em a couple’a Autobots t’try an’ keep th’ chaos ta a minimum.”

Prowl shifted position slightly and winced. “It would have been fine, but….” He sighed. “It turns out the Constructicons are Swifties and the Combaticons are part of some kind of… beehive? Funny, I never thought of them as bees….”

“It don’t mean they’re bees. Means they like Beyoncé.”

“Oh. That makes sense, I guess. Anyway, things were going great….. right up until the rap battle. It turned into pure chaos. Who knew humans could hit so hard……”

The Transformers The Movie ‘86 Studio Series Buzzworthy Bumblebee Shuttle Victim Ironhide and Prowl 2-pack: In spite of the fact that Hasbro pulled a dirty trick on me and pinning every joint in Prowl, I do like this two pack. But there are caveats. There always are, aren’t there?

We’ll start with Prowl, who should be the easiest to fiddle with. Just swap the chest piece from the Earthrise one, swap the head as well, and you have a clear plastic free Prowl, ready to stand up to multiple transformations without cracking, right? Sadly, no. The white on the Buzzworthy one is a bright white rather than the regular white on the Earthrise Prowl. I might get away with swapping the head - I mean, yikes. Yeah, they matched the expression from when Scavenger shot him, but it’s not pleasant to look at - so swap the Siege head onto him and you can pretend he’s the post-Unicron battle version from the G1 comic. There doesn’t appear to have been any mold degradation, but whatever material they used might have been a low density polymer because I’ve noticed some disturbing flex in his feet while transforming.

And now, on to Ironhide, who continues my streak of getting difficult to transform Studio Series figures. I have more trouble with the solid plastic tabs than I do with the clear plastic ones when I transform him to vehicle mode. And I had to use the flathead screwdriver on my Swiss Army Knife to get him popped open to return to robot mode. That being said, he does look great as a battle damaged Ironhide. The amusing problem with his ‘agonized dying’ face is that it looks a lot like the yelling face that comes with the Masterpiece, so instead of dying, he just looks royally ticked off.

Do I recommend the set? If you haven’t been able to find a Studio Series Ironhide and/or an Earthrise Prowl, yeah. The molds are good, although if it was me, I’d have included alternate heads and chest pieces.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, Hasbro are still in a transitional phase of understanding the value of extra pieces aren't they?

It should be a no-brainer that if you release 'battle-damaged' figures more people are going to buy them if they can also display as a non-damaged version of the character.

Hopefully we're going to see more releases designed like the troop builder set going forward. (Which, notably, are variations on already-released figures, so there's clearly scope to produce assorted extra bits to go with reuses of older moulds).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Transformers Buzzworthy Bumblebee Troop Builder Multipack or those words in a different order. I've only transformed the G2 generic, to display with Jhiaxus, and the Autotrooper so far.

The way they've done the switchable heads doesn't seem particularly smart, they fit quite snugly but being just a sliding mechanism I'm guessing a lot will have missing heads after a while. Still, at least they're trying. Hopefully the approach will extend to named characters. Picking a standard ball joint size would be better though. The parts don't seem to be switchable; i.e. you can't stick the G2 trooper skull head onto Autotrooper.

Good price from ComicsAndCocktails and I support their environmentally friendly reuse of packaging but when customers state "parcel box" on the order you'd like to think they wouldn't pack it in a box that's sized to contain four multi-packs and has no ***ing chance of fitting into one. Similar experience with Kapow with a Hauler and the original shipping box. I guess I'm just not ordering many TFs from speciality sites any more and will probably be done for a long while after Bludgeon. I'm sure I can probably rustle up a Bombshell on Amazon when that gets released.

edit: The packaging has no window but is almost perfectly done. All packaged in alt modes with bits additionally moved to avoid damage, minimal number of ties (cardboard type) and tissue paper wrapped accessories taped next to each figure. You've just got to be careful to definitely get all of the accessories out before chucking the wrapping.

I see what people mean about the legs on the Skullgrin/Cybertronian trooper mould. It's far easier to pop the legs off than to fiddle with the multi-jointed knee arrangement. The multiple weapons and two heads (plus lots of 5mm ports) give plenty of display options. Would I have been happy if there'd been four of these diminutive gremlins in the box and none of the others? Yep.

The Autotrooper would make a decent enough Ratchet if you have a suitable head, and might end up as one. If doing that (it occurs to me I don't have an official Ratchet/Ironhide out on a shelf anywhere) I'd probably acetone off the teal paint on the shoulders. I might do that anyway. I do rather like the red visor head it comes with though, and it makes for a fun generic and desk toy. Which being white plastic will particularly need keeping out of sunlight. I do like way there's a back 5mm port for the weapon, and since it's hinged would only have suggested finding a way to add another couple to give the option to turn it into a shoulder cannon.

Looking forward to the seeker and finding some time/space to locate the first Allicon I've got, the Quintesson and maybe some Sharkticons for a little bit of a display.

I know there's loads of stock reuses of certain moulds into new characters, but it's always surprising that for a robot-oriented IP there aren't many "waves of clones" figures in TFs. It's nice to think that's because it's recognised that characterisation is an integral part of appeal and sales, but it's at least as likely that there's already strong push back from parents along the lines of "you've already got one just like that" and they need to spread the reuses out.

But yeah, the idea that certain alt-modes are a "uniform" of sorts is quite cool as long as it doesn't preclude enough differentiation to treat them as separate characters. Sort of like the X-Men blue/yellow spandex team sets of Marvel Legends, or the flight suit Avengers releases.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Legacy Evolution Beachcomber & Paradise Parakeet.

Studio Series SS-86 Rumble (Purple).
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Skyquake87 wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:01 pm After all the booey Exclusives that came out over the last few years, it's nice to see at least Dirge showing up (crosses fingers for Ramjet and Thrust) again.
I seem to recall hearing about an upcoming Ramjet reissue, but I think that was more "rumour" than "announcement". I'd be surprised if the didn't both get reissued at some point, though I'm also pretty surprised that Thrust's mold hasn't been reused at all considering the recent Seeker spam.
Denyer wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:34 pm The grid/pixel pattern on the back of Cloudcover came out really well. I like the concept of 'alternate' groupings, the Starscream/Thundercracker/Skywap grouping is so tired by this point. Haven't gotten around to picking up an example of that mould.
Cloudcover would be my choice out of the ones that I've got, though I suppose you've got "dude, I'm totally not Thundercracker, trust me!" from the troop builder pack now? It's definitely a form-over-function toy, basically the opposite of the Siege one (which was fugly but very poseable).

I like having a bunch because like you say above, it creates a "military uniform" look among the troops. I like that aesthetic for the early Decepticons. It makes them look like an actual army when it's Megatron, Soundwave, Shockwave and then a zillion nameless Seekers, Reflectorbots and Rumble clones filling out the ranks. It contrasts nicely vs. the Autobots and also creates a connection with Jhiaxus and his army of faceless goons millions of years later.
Denyer wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:34 pmI could go for updated Dinobots with a Classics Grimlock style, as long as they got rid of that head-splitting jaws=feet part of the transformation. Can't reconcile the logic of sticking a bunch of sensors on extremities next to the ground.
I'd agree with that, but more for practical reasons than logical ones. The dino mouth doesn't make for a very good set of feet! I like it better than just folding the head up with the backpack like the Pretender did, though, and overall I'd call the Classics toy a very nice evolution of that design (which was my Grimlock as a kiddo).

And speaking of Dinobots...

Studio Series 86 Snarl

All the Dinobots are cool, but Snarl's always been #1 for me for a few reasons. The first reason was probably this sticker book, which I had as a kid (albeit in English) and which is also responsible for my otherwise inexplicable love of Inferno. Every time I went to the local grocery store with my mom she'd buy me a pack of stickers for it, and I absolutely loved filling it up. Why Snarl and not Slag or Swoop, who also have their own full-page spreads? Damned if I know. Maybe I got the stickers to finish his page first? Second reason is probably the Actionmaster, which was a toy I could at least dream of owning when I was really little, though I never actually did. Third was the G2 toy, which I did own...for about 36 hours until a leg snapped right off. All of which combined to give the guy a special, almost unattainable vibe for me. I owned Slag, I owned (Pretender) Grimlock...but Snarl was the one that got away.

His POTP toy was the weakest of that bunch, or at least that's how it's always felt to me. Maybe I just judge him more harshly because I like the design so much? This one is a big step up, with emphasis on the "big". I've never quite understood why people want their Dinobots to tower over everyone, and I don't think I'd want the entire team in this size unless I was going to put them on a shelf with MP-sized Autobot cars. But I like Snarl. They absolutely nailed the head sculpt. The robot mode is super clean...I always enjoy seeing how these huge Dinobot toys engineer away the old toys' leg kibble. It poses well despite being pretty top-heavy. And including the sword immediately makes him 50% cooler than any of the other SS86 Dinobots.

The beast mode isn't quite so great. It's pretty posable, surprisingly, but he's a potato with limbs so you can't actually do anything with those joints. And the well-proportioned robot mode winds up creating a stegosaurus so wide that you could land a fighter jet between his plates.

Still a very solid figure. I'm looking forward to grabbing the cute little Core-class Snarl to go with him when it comes out, and that'll probably be the only one of it's set that I get, too.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:I suppose you've got "dude, I'm totally not Thundercracker, trust me!" from the troop builder pack now?
Yeah, not transformed yet. Feels impressively hefty, everything lines up well and they've even found a decent compromise with the weapon thickness.

Hadn't thought about the G2 horde similarities. The G2 trooper seems to be well-liked, there aren't many of those coming up on eBay versus the other three.

Snarl looks very nice. If I didn't have big 3P ones I'd definitely be aiming for a set of these plus some weapon upgrades. The only point I'd contest as a personal preference is that I like having the dino legs outside as kibble and a throwback to the original toys, and the way FT did their designs enables that. Is it possible with Snarl?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

The weapons are definitely the biggest upgrade from the Classics Seeker to the Earthrise one. The spring-loaded guns wound up looking way too big for everyone but Ramjet (who always had comically oversized guns). I am a tad disappointed that the G2 decos didn't come with an extra set of guns based on the fugly G2 launchers, though.

Snarl can definitely be arranged with the dino legs out if that's your preference, though as a trade-off it does make the inner legs a bit more gappy. I'm pretty sure I've seen pictures of Slag posed the same way as well. I'd assume Sludge can't because his tail winds up there in robot mode.

Slag really put me off of any thoughts of getting the whole set. Not a fan of the Sunbow colours, though I'm happy that the cartoon fans are able to get "their" Slag finally. But a "Comic Universe" Selects release wouldn't fix the hollow horns, or the fact that they couldn't figure out a way to make his lower jaw work as the robot mode's necktie like every other Slag in the history of Slags. And they still probably wouldn't paint the inside of his robot mode "hood".

The upcoming Swoop will obviously be blue as well, which I understand the reasons for. But it's definitely not my preference, and every new G1-styled Swoop that's come out at retail since Energon has had the blue chest. Sludge looks great though, bar the anemic selection of accessories.

My ideal Dinobots would probably be Voyager-sized, partly because I don't like them totally dwarfing the rest of the early-years cast but mostly because I don't think I could fit five toys this size into a single shelf in my glass display cases.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Grimlock's getting redecoes so maybe the rest will turn up in G2 colours at some stage. Good to know one or two might be of interest with the transformation, if it happens.

If I saw a Slag reduced enough I'd probably be tempted anyway since the cartoon colours were used on a Canadian G1 release and all of the other Slags I've got are original toy colours. He has got a slightly odd AT-AT walker thing going on with the back shell, and I'd check out the dino legs thing, but looks fun. I don't mind doing a bit of paint touch-up myself. The horns are definitely more annoying and would need filling in or replacing.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

You'd think that I would be the one interested in old, obscure Canadian toy decos, but it was before my time. The only Slags I've ever seen in person are the G2 versions, and almost aways the normal silver deco. I was surprised to hear that blue Grimlock, red Snarl and green Slag were the were apparently the "common" set. I only remember seeing them stocked at a single discount store.

A green Slag might be unique enough to make the SS86 toy interesting, but I still wouldn't be keen on the corner-cutting that went into the thing.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

The RGB ones you mention were what got promoted by the short-lived comic etc over here. Can't remember now if I ever actually saw them in stores or just remember images of the clam shell packaging with Grimlock in different shades of blue (there's a standard darker one and a mid-tone blue, plus the grey).

http://www.fredsworkshop.com/vdinobot.html

Those three would make a nice display focal point, although not really room for. Think I'd rather just get the "Canadian" one for the novelty. If seen cheap.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Retro G1 86 Movie:

Starscream
Thundercracker
Hot Rod
Hound