So I'm pretty much out of the fandom at this point

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
tahukanuva
Custom Title: Human After All

Re: So I'm pretty much out of the fandom at this point

Post by tahukanuva »

Hey, everyone!

I haven’t posted anything in.. a while, but I still check in every now and then. It puts me at ease that, even with how much everything else has changed in the last decade or so, this old site keeps trucking along even through the lulls.

I’ve been on this dang site since I was a 14 years-old idiot and now I’m a married man staring down the barrel of 30. This was the first real fan community I was ever part of (Well, aside from a Bionicle one where I made, like, three posts without reply) and, aside from a rough couple of months where I tried to pull the ol’ “imitate Cliffy” routine, you guys have always been welcoming and friendly, despite me being, again, a teenage idiot. I love you guys, collectively, who’ve made up this website that I happened upon at a very formative point in my life. I know it seems silly, because it’s a message board for Hasbro’s ‘The Transformers’, but this website, and all of you on it, formed an important part of who I am, so thank you.

Anyway, if people are going to start posting here again, I’ll be happy to join in. Even with having found a pretty solid Transformer community on twitter, it’s still too chaotic and fast paced to do any real discussion on.

What we really need is a classic mid-aughts crazy thread; one of those where some random dude who had been posting normally suddenly declares that, like, Bulgaria doesn’t exist and is only on maps as a cartographical shortcut, or starts insisting that Arcee was pregnant in the movie, but had miscarried by The Rebirth. Remember those? Classic!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

tahukanuva wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:38 pm I’ve been on this dang site since I was a 14 years-old idiot and now I’m a married man staring down the barrel of 30.
Jesus, don't say things like that! If kids like you are old now, what does that make me? And for the record, you were never THAT annoying.

I hope life is going well for you, on non plague related fronts?

For my part, I was 18 (and also an idiot) when I started posting here, so at some point this year I'll have been a part of this community for the majority of my life. Can't think of a place I'd rather have spent it, honestly. :)
tahukanuva wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:38 pm What we really need is a classic mid-aughts crazy thread; one of those where some random dude who had been posting normally suddenly declares that, like, Bulgaria doesn’t exist and is only on maps as a cartographical shortcut, or starts insisting that Arcee was pregnant in the movie, but had miscarried by The Rebirth. Remember those? Classic!
Are...are you having Tramp nostalgia?

Myself, I miss the long, rambling comic vs. cartoon arguments and shitting on Pat Lee.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The comic was always better than the cartoon :P Although I do like the Budiansky-like flights of fancy that make up most of Season 3, where it's all f** the war, lets have mad adventures.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Oh yeah, but the comics were on tap, served up weekly by the Newsagent when we were kids (in the UK). Trying to catch any of the cartoons was like gold dust; we used to get them portioned into five minute clips on TV and then only during a school holiday.

I still remember the time I recorded every five minute episode onto a VHS tape, and when I neared the end the tape got scrunched up in the recorder! AAARrrrrrrgh!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

It's really odd that a lot of key kids cartoons of the era were chopped up like this in the UK. Thundercats was also broken up, albeit only in half and scattered across Going Live! I think only She-Ra and He-Man managed to be broadcast complete through showings on CiTV. I'm guessing it was to keep kids tuned in.
Blaster86
Protoform

Post by Blaster86 »

I lost my old email... so now I have an old name. Look at me go!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

He lives!
Blaster86
Protoform

Post by Blaster86 »

As an essential front line worker. Doing everything in my power to get covid!
Hound

Post by Hound »

Hey Miles!
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

I love that this thread brought so many people back to the surface!
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Blaster86 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:39 am I lost my old email... so now I have an old name. Look at me go!
I like it!
Blaster86
Protoform

Post by Blaster86 »

Hound wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:12 amHey Miles!
How dare you not give me a link to the discord.
angloconvoyreturns
Protoform

Post by angloconvoyreturns »

I'm not dead yet. I did forget my password though, and I don't even remember what long defunct email address it was tied into.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

It includes the word 'tree' -- ring any bells? Sure we can figure out a way of verifying you.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Wow, Angelo! Are you still out there in Japan or have you returned to Blighty?
angloconvoyreturns
Protoform

Post by angloconvoyreturns »

Haha, yeah it does, my old Hotmail address. Definitely long defunct 😁 Thanks. If we can get it verified and working, great, if not I'll just stick with this one, wouldn't be the first prime to come back in a new body!
Hey Auntie! Yeah, well, kind of. I still live in Japan, but I'm currently under lockdown in the Philippines and not allowed back into Japan because of the 'rona. Bit of a rough situation. But I've got a little boy now, and he lives here in the Philippines, so it's not all bad. I was actually gearing up to move back to England, then he came along. Had to keep working in Japan for logistical reasons, was hoping to move to the Philippines by the end of this year but with everything except bills grinding to a halt that's going to be delayed a while. Already shown my boy a few TF cartoons (he's still somewhere between baby and toddler) but the only one he had any patience for so far was Prime. None at all for Cyberverse and I cant blame him. I dropped right out of the fandom for a long time for the most part, though I still stay in touch with a few of the guys I met here way way back, Brendocon, Jetfire, Getaway, and a few others from Transfans. Try to catch up with them when I'm back in England, and I stalk Inflatable Dalek and Cliffjumper on social media. Lots of cool stuff seems to have happened in animation and comics, one of those things where it's somewhere on my list of things "if I ever have the time". Last few years were mostly focused on my dancing though (I'm kind of a dancer now!) Again, before lockdown and social distancing. Pair dancing isn't something many people are keen on doing just at the moment!
That's the nutshell but I'm planning to stick around for a bit and hopefully get reacquainted, since there are still way more of the old group here than I expected to see.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Message me on Twitter? Just followed you. (Apologies if I don't interact much on social media, it's mostly accounts for replies and occasional screaming into the void on Facebook).
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

And now I'm back back! And this time, no force in the universe can stop me!

Cheers Denyer, like a comfy old pair of slippers (the account, not Denyer)
Ryan F

Post by Ryan F »

Just found this thread (which shows I don’t visit often)!

I think for me these days, Transformers fandom is more about the people than the actual product. Meet-ups, conventions, chatting rubbish on Twitter etc... that’s the thing that keeps me going in this fandom, really.

There are a lot of bad eggs around (as Stuart mentioned, the Windblade model kit fan club behaved appallingly), but the circle of TF people I know are generally amazing people, and that’s why I’m still here.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

...I was looking at that Windblade kit again. I'm probably a bad person for saying this, but I quite like it (I think it's cute) and - if it's not been ruined by the internet pile on- would like to pick one of those up.
Good to hear from you Ryan! I read your book! It's great :)