Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Re: Your Latest Non-TF Toy Acquisitions

Post by HeavyArms »

The Lego Movie 2 70826 Rex's Rex-treme Offroader!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I'm a sucker for Lego throwing in free sets with purchases, so I bought a couple of sets I had my eye on.

Lego Marvel 76127 Captain Marvel & The Skrull Attack
I really enjoyed the Captain Marvel film, and picked up her one and only Lego set (well apart from those SDCC exclusive things) and it's a lot more impressive than it looks. The Superhero line has always been good around the £20 price point, and so it continues here.The main build is a fancy military jet/ dropship looking thing and it's very nice. I love the design of this thing,its blocky and sleek at the same time. The missile launching system is neat, just using some upturned letterbox elements that you push in to launch the missiles. Sadly, there's only space for 1 minifigure in the thing. It's a shame the central section couldn't have been made a tiny bit wider to allow at least one extra figure to sit inside. The minifigures are okay, Captain Marvel and Nick Fury are good,but the Skrull seems a bit cartoony compared to the aesthetic of the creatures in the film. The inclusion of Goose the cat is a nice touch :)

Lego Ninjago 70676 Lloyd's Titan Mech
A lot of the Ninjago stuff leaves me cold, it clearly does gangbusters for Lego, but I think it's one of those toylines that you really have to be a kid to properly get into and understand. Every now and then it throws out a cool set which piques my interest, and following the impressive Ninjago Movie Mechs is this thing. I loved the old Exo-Force line, so everytime one of these mech suits pops up in Ninjago, I'm interested. Part Gundam-Part Eldar Titan, this is a really nicely designed mechanoid. It's a really nice, solid figure once put together. Only a lack of knees hampers some otherwise impressive articulation. Lloyd himself looks a little exposed in the pilot seat and could have done with a windscreen or something to give him some protection. The wings on the back can detach to form a very unconvincing flying thing. Set also comes with some nice villains (as well as Zane in an amusing spinning power blast thing), which whilst great, seem hopelessly out matched by this thing. I really like these blizzard warriors, with their molded transparent ice armour and frozen features. I'd love to build an army of these guys, they're that good!

Lego Ideas 40335 Space Rocket Ride
This is cute. It's one of those things you stick a few coins in and your kid can sit and ride it, whilst it simulates flying and what have you. Has a simple geared mechanism that allows it mimic the real thing. A great freebie!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76126 Avengers Ultimate Quinjet - 20% off because of sale.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Lego Movie 2 70837 Shimmer & Shine Sparkle Spa! &

The Lego Movie 2 70842 Emmet's Triple-Decker Couch Mech!

The two Lego Movie sets were bought during Big W's Toy Sale.

Lego Harry Potter 75951 Grindelwald´s Escape &

Lego Harry Potter 75952 Newt´s Case of Magical Creatures

These were on clearance at Myer.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Marvel Super Heroes 76114 Spider-Man's Spider Crawler - I was able to buy during a 20% off sale.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Marvel Legends Silver Samurai

Kind of middling, TBH. The figure is well-executed, I guess. It has a full complement of articulation and even features the waist swivel/upper torso ball joint combo that I hope becomes standard on all Legends eventually. Tons of paint, tons of molded detail...probably a 100% new-tooling figure aside from the katanas. In theory it should be great, but it's just not.

So why is my reaction so lukewarm? Well, a few things. The torso armour is painted while the rest (helmet, shoulders, skirt) are made from a pearlized plastic. And the colours...it's weird. In some lighting, they look like an exact match. In others, the paint and the plastic look almost as different from each other as they do from the underlying grey body suit. I'm not quite sure how they managed that, but the effect is pretty disappointing. The paint on the back of my figure is pretty seriously scuffed, too. But really the biggest issue is that the Samurai's design doesn't work too well with Hasbro-style articulation. Harada's a big guy, and because of how the joints (shoulders, elbows and knees in particular) are engineered on Legends figures, he winds up not having the best range of motion. The design screams to be put into all sorts of ass-kicking martial arts poses, but the figure just can't do it.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Couple of these cheap from B&M to dissuade the cat from getting behind the monitor. Looks like the local branch got two late wave cases and had just opened them...

https://www.mephitsu.co.uk/post/review- ... elect-toys

They look better than the movie models, unsurprisingly.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Juniors 10760 Underminer Bank Heist - Grabbed while it was 20% off.

The Lego Movie 2 70824 Introducing Queen Watevra Wa'Nabi - It was on half-price clearance at K-Mart.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Harry Potter 75965 The Rise of Voldemort - It was 20% off so I purchased it.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Marvel Legends Mister Sinister

My favourite ridiculous late 80s/early 90s villain and it's not even close. He's just the biggest pile of nonsense ever. I swear I've read dozens of comic issues starring him and seen him a ton in the 90s show and I still couldn't tell you what he wants beyond SCIENCE! and a vague obsession with Scott and Jean's potential offspring. But does it actually matter? He's ridiculously cool. And he's just as cool in the plastic. The costume! The insane grin! The cape! Oh god, the cape!

Beyond the AWESOME, he's more or less a basic ML "big guy", even though I'm pretty sure most of this is new tooling (what with the wacky boots and the ribbed body that's too small to share with Colossus). Not butterfly joints, but I'm not sure what use they'd be under those epic shoulder pauldrons anyway. The designers moved the normal thigh and calf cuts so that they're hidden by his boot cuffs, but it doesn't negatively impact the poseability in any way.

The one negative is that he doesn't come with any extras. In particular an "overwrought anger" head would have been cool to go with his "psychotically happy" one.

Also snapped a pic of Silver Samurai, who I talked about a few days ago, fighting it out with his cousin.

HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Harry Potter 75950 Aragog's Lair.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Marvel Legends Nightcrawler

Another home run, honestly. I think he reuses some of the "Pizza Spidey" body, as the proportions are very similar, but if he does they've done a lot of work to it. His hips move way, way more than any of the Spider-Men I own based on that body. His shoulders are a tad restricted due to the cut of his costume, but not enough that it really gets in the way. He's very poseable and he balances well.

There are so many possible extras to toss in with the guy that Hasbro was never going to make me 100% happy, but I think they did a pretty good job. He's got three different faces, all with a ton of personality -- a smile that's either goofy or creepy depending on how he's posed, a "serious business" face and one that's full-on "creature of the night". He also comes with a cutlass and a sword-wielding hand to hold it (with the correct up/down articulation!)

What he does not come with is a BAMF!, either in the form of a purple smoke effect or the cute little plush Nightcrawler toy that Kitty and Ilyana had when they were kids. Either of those would have made this a near-perfect figure, but even as-is it's still pretty great.

Assuming that the classic Colossus mold eventually gets a single release, I'm an 80s Rogue and Shadowcat away from completing my favourite X-Men lineup! And honestly not that far away from having all the X-Men I want in plastic form, in all the costumes I want. I should be able to complete the 90s animated team by the end of the year, and after that I'm not sure what else is really left that I'd consider a must-have. Banshee? Black Tom? Binary? British Psylocke? Deathbird? Other than the Cassidys I'm really reaching here TBH. Which isn't to say that I wouldn't pick up a figure here or there just because they look cool, but Hasbro has done such a good job of pushing out X-Men product that they're going to have a bit of a hard time keeping my attention going forward.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sweet. It's great being able to get a good chunk of a team. :)
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Star Wars 75233 Droid Gunship & 75221 Imperial Landing Craft - These two were a lay-buy that I finished up.

Lego Star Wars 75225 Elite Praetorian Guard Battle Pack & 75226 Inferno Squad Battle Pack - I believe I bought these ages ago but never made mention of them.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

And speaking of X-Men team-building...

Marvel Legends 90s Storm

You know...she's not all that. Definitely not worth the hype, most of which comes from folks who are happy to finally have the last piece of a full cartoon team. She looks really impressive, but the big hair, cape and shoulders make it pretty tough to put her into too many wild poses. She's mainly just going to hover at the back of my 90s X-Men team, I guess. Definitely the weakest of the X-Men figures I've gotten this year, though to be fair it's been a really good year.

HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Harry Potter 75956 Quidditch Match, 75953 Hogwarts Whomping Willow, 75948 Hogwarts Clock Tower - These were all one big lay-buy I finalized these week.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I stopped by the LEGO Store in Providence yesterday, as it's in the mall right next to Waterfire, where the city of Providence sets up burning braziers in its canals, which looks really cool.

11055 Creative Fun Classic - 900 pieces for $40.

70842 Emmett's Triple Decker Couch Mech - I'm not interested in either of the suggested builds. I just wanted to make the blue Perceptor linked to in another thread. Plus, it was on sale for $22.

I'd assembled the minifigs (including a frzzy tailed Unikitty) last night. This afternoon, as I was following the microscope-bot instructions, I saw I was missing pieces. It took me a while to realize they were Unikitty's parts, and accessories for the minidoll. I found substitutes.

40336 Newbury Juice Bar - From the new Hidden Side line, it's a juice bar with a roof that unfolds to reveal a monstrous face. The minifig manning the counter has two heads, one human, the other monster. This came free because I spent over $50.

All in all, I got 1,340 pieces for $68, including tax. This makes up for the fact that, shortly after I left the mall I got caught in a downpour. I used the giant bag from the LEGO store as a makeshift umbrella, with mixed results. My head stayed dry, but the water ended up running down my sleeves and soaking my arms. Plus, the bag disintegrated pretty quickly. I made my way to a building with an open lobby, and joined the others waiting out the storm. Once that passed, I made my way back to my car.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Jurassic World 75938 T. rex vs Dino-Mech Battle - Was 20% off at Big W.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Hidden Side 70423 Paranormal Intercept Bus 3000 - Because we're in October I'm going to focus on buying sets from this spooky supernatural theme.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Lego Hidden Side 70424 Ghost Train Express - It was 20% off or so.