POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Clay

Re: NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:07 pm Still don't really photo well -- https://imgur.com/a/UhkO1jp

Plus clutter above desk. Lot of stuff's in tubs. I might get some perspex to front the top level of shelves, but that'll have to wait.
Yaaay, I see them. :)

I had an episode of furniture rearrangement a few months ago. I don't think I've taken new pictures since. Fair warning: beware of morning/afternoon sun and figures that are prone to discoloring. I had to replace a Metroplex after learning that the hard way.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Touch wood angle seems alright apart from possible exposure early evening in summer opposite the window, and the last shot's all white balance rather than light. Vector Prime's extensively sun-marked, but was like that when I got the replacement and it kind of suits the character.

What surprises me is that the paint on the 'street' version of Binaltech Smokescreen has faded almost down to the base metal, particularly on the front bumper. Never seen blue paint do that before and he's been in a storage tub for a long time.

Matches this description: https://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/b ... 7s5700.php
Clay

Post by Clay »

Denyer wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:31 pmWhat surprises me is that the paint on the 'street' version of Binaltech Smokescreen has faded almost down to the base metal, particularly on the front bumper. Never seen blue paint do that before and he's been in a storage tub for a long time.

Matches this description: https://www.seibertron.com/energonpub/b ... 7s5700.php
I was unaware of this problem, but after checking mine (which has never been opened and kept out of the sun), it too has faded paint. Looking at that thread, those comments are from eight or nine years ago. Maybe faded paint for BT19 is universal now?

As for me, I went back and got the Studio Rampage, and found the little Scrapmetal guy today too. Rampage is much more complex than he seemingly needs to be, but after finally figuring it out (the instructions using pictures of the full figure to show how to move the tiniest parts is not helpful at all), I can see why they made him the way he is (it has a lot to do with how the treads are supposed to slope in foot mode). He's neat. I do wish that they could have crammed more serpentine tail in there, but oh well. I swear, I love how weird most of the ROTF constructicons are. Scrapmetal, however, is by far the most conventional of the group. His excavator arm even folds up behind him like G1 Scavenger's! I don't know why he has a little shield thing, though. The part it covers in the vehicle mode is just as well off without it, and the instructions don't mention its use for the combined mode.

Also, their instruction sheets give contradictory release dates for the rest of the set. Scrapmetal's sheet says that Overload won't be out until fall 2020, but Rampage's sheet gives the time as early 2020 along with Scavenger (both are leader figures, so I assume they'll be in the same wave?). Rampage's sheet also claims that Scrapmetal will be out... early 2020.

Going by the wave patterns of recent years, I'm guessing "late 2019" means late summer/early fall, and "early 2020" means right around the holidays for 2019/January 2020. So, the whole group should be out sooner than first teased, maybe?

Also, I saw the deluxe Shatter, but passed based on Mr. Tantrum's advice.
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

Clay wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:04 pm Rampage is out now: I saw him (well, six of him) in the store yesterday along with the G1-ish Prime from Bumblebee. Judging from the size of DoomPogo, Devastator will be... rather large. Not as tall as any of the stand-alone Titans, I don't think, but probably heavier.
I saw him, too. speaking of which...
SS Rampage - Like Scrapmetal, he's bulkier than other bots in his size class, eschews the shellforming endemic to movie toys, and has a pretty straightforward transformation into vehicle mode.

Clay's right; the instuctions are pretty poor. At first glance, I thought the little insets would help, but I was wrong. Fortunately, he's pretty easy to figure out, though I haven't figured out how to move his claws aside to store the stand under the vehicle. I haven't achieved leg mode, but I don't think I'd be sure I had it right without the rest of Devastator to check him against.

His claws are pretty well articulated, allowing him to hold Legends class figures aloft menacingly. It helps if you orient the stand as an x instead of a +, so the arms are better supported. The swivel joint in the neck is a nice touch, and isn't visible under the neck armor.

His color is a compromise between the yellow RotF figure that formed Devastator's leg, and the red RotF bot that fought Bumblebee, allowing him to contrast with both figures. This orange color, and his little round head, mean he actually does remind me quite a bit of G1 Rampage.

Others that I haven't opened yet:
SS 38 Optimus Prime - The earth alt mode and lack of battle dmage make him a more appealing Optimus than the Siege figure. All he lacks is grill abs. Has any G1-esque Optimus used the actual grill for the grill abs since the original G1 and combined Powermaster toys? It seems like starting with 20th Anniversary/MP-01, the abs have been a separate piece that just looks like the grill. Armada used the actual grill, but wasn't going for a G1 look, as it lacked the chest windows. World's Smallest Prime might be it.

SS WWII Bumblebee - Looks to be a shell former, but also looks adorable. It seems like they tried to match the bot to his on screen counterpart, but not the vehicle. The bot has faux side mirrors on his chest, when the alt mode has no side mirrors. The military green should display well with AoE Hound, though that means I'll have to give AoE Hound his guns back from TLK Hound.

SS 34 Megatron - The DotM version, a Leader sized wounded bot who turns into a truck and trailer. Other SS figures (Starscream, Ratchet, Jazz) have borrowed elements from previous figures and refined them. From what I've read, this guy does not have the ability to swivel his cab like the Voyager. But, the truck does have a bunch of spikes in the front.

The head is battle damage done right: molded detail the looks like an injury, not random bits of paint over pristine material. I'm hoping he'll display well with my Leader Optimus, the one with the battle hooks in his arms. Megs might be smaller, but that might be attributable to worse posture and his general sicklyness.

Cyberverse Prowl - Other Prowls I've owned have been either frustrating to transform (CHUG, MP) or lacking the G1 door wings and shoulder canons (CW, Walgreen's). This guy looks like he'll be good on both counts. Plus, he rang up at only US$12, not the US$15 I was expecting.

Looking at what's coming out, all that interests me is Siege Laserbeak/Ravage, Greenlight, Red Swoop, and the rest of SS Devastator. I might want some of the wave 3 and 4 Siege Deluxes, but I'm going to wait to see them in store, first.

Clay -The thing that bugs me about Scrapmetal's shield is the gap in the back of Devastator's hand is the perfect size to be covered by that shield. There's even a notch in one of Scrapmetal's legs. If that notch were the right size, the shield could tab in and cover the gap. But, it's not. I guess the shield, and Rampage's stand, don't fit in Devastator.

Rampage's and Scrapmetal's instructions give conflicting dates for Overload's release, and neither says the other bot should be out yet. I'm not putting much stock in them.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Tantrum wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:05 am Fortunately, he's pretty easy to figure out, though I haven't figured out how to move his claws aside to store the stand under the vehicle.
The claws that make the thumbs actually stay on the outside, draping over the back of the treads. It's one of the details that, had the instruction pictures simply shown enlarged details instead of tiny changes on the full figure, would have been much easier to figure out. The cross-lock part is for the foot mode.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

I guess he wasn't that easy to figure out. I'd realized the thumb claws don't fold in, though I did try that on my first attempt. I just had the passenger compartment resting on the connected thumbs.

I was talking about the finger claws that end up on the inside of the treads. There was just enough resistance to moving them that I thought they stayed put. I completely missed that they fold up and tab into the sides of the passenger compartment. I figured those panels that fold up to expose the slots were actually for leg mode. I think I've got it now, though. He rolls well, looks good, and the stand fits underneath.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

The mail two days ago brought me Siege Ironhide & Prowl.

I like them both. I wouldn't say I'm totally blown away by either, but they're solid, just like the rest of the Siege line. No/limited hollowness, good articulation on each (wrist swivels!), well put together figures. Paint apps are decent.

Ironhide has a surprisingly fun transformation! The 'van' mode is OK - mostly a box on wheels, which are made of a soft plastic that doesn't roll all that well. As a robot he's taller than most Siege Deluxes by a head, and only about a head shorter than the Voyagers. I also dig the older bot look, especially compared to the youthful CW version and the Emo-Hide from Universe. I like his cannon/hammer, but I wish the cannon handle was a bit farther back so you could more easily bend his elbow with it.

Prowl's transformation is a little less glitzy, but smooth and intuitive. I'm very surprised at Prowl's overall cleanliness - he has no 'battle damage' unlike the rest of the line. His alt mode is a bit too aerodynamic compared to the rest, and compact. The wheel hubs are tight to the wheels, so they have a tendency to rub a bit and hinder free movement. I'm still getting used to the robot mode proportions, which I feel are off somewhere, somehow. Not too keen on the light bar-on-gun thing, but you can just peg it to his back to get it out of the way.

Overall: :up:
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Cyberverse Prowl.
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

I opened SS WWII Bumblebee. As exepcted, he's a total shellformer. I've seen pics of a TLK Voyager Optimus that someone had partially disassembled in order to make the bot and truck modes simultaneously. You could probably do the same with this guy. The only issue is you'd have some gaps in the shins where the front wheels fold in. That bit's pretty clever, and is about the only part of bot Bee that resembles vehicle Bee.

The rear wheels end up behind the shoulders, and can lock into several different positions. The instructions have them straight back, away from the backpack. Putting them straight back close to the backack means they don't affect Bee's silhouette, but give a bulkier backpack. You can also angle them in to make the backpack look more like a shell, or angle them out as a stand in for door wings.

The joints to move the arms are a little stiffer than the tabs that hold the shoulders in place, so moving his arms tend to pop the tabs out. It's nowhere near as bad as Cybertron Tundercracker, but in the same class of problem.

Most shellformers either have the bot expand in height during transfromation, or have the backpack fold vertically. Either provides some space between the backpack and leg kibble to improve articulation. Bee doesn't, so the hood/fenders on his calves alomst touches the backpack that hangs below his knees.

The vehicle rolls well, having pinned rear wheels and clip on front wheels. The barrel pivots up and down. The turret doesn't swivel, but the 5mm mounting hole (which does not go all the way through) does, allowing the gun to be mounted on the left side, right side, or center of the roof.

Being some sort of armored miltary vehicle, Bee has armor panels instead of windows or windshield. These are the same color as the rest of the vehicle, giving him the plainest alt mode I've ever seen. The back wheels and weapons, red 52 square, and headlights are the only things breaking up the monotony of military green. Camo paint would've helped a lot.

I have a bit of trouble getting the roof and left side panel to tab into place at the same time. I can't tell if this is a design flaw, and issue with my copy, or my error. The hammer resists folding into the turret for some reason. I mean, I can see the nub of plastic in the way, I just don't understand why it's there.

The oddest thing about this figure is how little the bot resembles the vehicle. The bot chest has small panels and sidemirror faux kibble molded into it, but the vehicle has neither. The left pac has a white number 12, and the left thigh has a 10 in a yellow circle. The vehicle has a 52 in a red square. Maybe misleading faux kibble is a new twist on "robots in disguise".

That's not to see WWII Bee is a bad figure, just underwhelming. I'd been looking forward to a WWII alt mode as something different from the modern vehicles we usually see. But, Hastak took this unique opportunity and punted. I'm glad I got him, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Grabbed Siege Aimless to go with TR Misfire. Nothing flashy, basically the same as the other two Targetmasters from Wave 1. The little squiggly laser blasts fit nicely with the Misfire/Aimless concept. Now just waiting on Caliburst to go with Slugslinger!
Tantrum

Post by Tantrum »

I opened a couple and bought 1 more.

Cyberverse Prowl - About what I expected, which is good. Ball jointed shoulders and hips, swivel head, and hinged elbows and knees (kinda). The knees are hinged for transformation, and lock into place when straight. If you try to bend them just a few degrees, they resist. But, you can use them for some articulation.

The shoulder cannons deploy (quickly) by pushing down on the chest. Having them not deployed results in a wide, behind-the-head panel, white in the center with grey on either side. There's also holes on either side of the head that go down into the torso. Cannon deployment is more for the fun of the gimmick than having two different looks for the robot.

Like Cyber Battalion Prowl, he has faux taillights molded into his toes for a G1 look. The faux tailight aren't painted, but neither are the real taillights.

The front wheels have the visible clips, which roll better. The rear wheels have the wheels cover the clips, which looks better. The car rolls OK, but the mismatched wheels are a minus. The only other flaw in the car mode is the visible gaps in the hood and windshield caused by the flip out shoulder cannons.

SS38 Optimus Prime (G1ish alt mode) - This guy confuses me. The torso becomes the cab due to unfolding and aligning many panels, some of which are quite tiny. This sounds bad, but everything fits together so intuitively it's quite impressive. The grill and bumper form a backpack, but it barely sticks out.

Like the old CHUG Voyager, the sides of the cabs are forearm kibble. Unlike the old CHUG Voyager, the sides fold up so as to be a nuisance. The only noticable panel kibble is a bit on either side, towards the back, which cover the front wheels.

Then, there's the legs. The knees are in the back of the leg, not the center, so they look very awkward when bent. Kneecap kibble conceals this for small bends, but not large ones. The inner legs fold up into a panel that forms the rear of the cab, behind the smokestacks. I don't know if this is accurate to a real truck or not, but it's needed to conceal Prime's head.

The panel looks fine, but using this much leg mass in the cab means there's a giant gap in the rear of the truck. Usually, Prime's got a solid blue rectangular prism back there. This time, there's a giant gap between the middle wheels when viewed from above. There is a trailer hitch, so maybe if there's a suitable trailer, you can use that to cover said gap.

It seems like the designer spent lots of time carefully crafting a clever torso transformation, then realized his deadline was looming and rushed the legs. Other than that, he looks great in both modes. He's got duller paint colors than most Optimi, which does a better job of evoking an old, battle hardened warrior than the globs of paint Seige uses.

But, while on the topic of colrs, why aren't Prime's hands blue anymore? PotP made them grey. Here, they're black. There's wrist rotation, so the hands are separate parts. They could've just as easily been molded in the blue used by his legs. It'd help the gun stand out, too.

Tiny Discount Grimlock - Last year, Hasbro put out a $10 Voyager sized Grimlock. This year, there's a scaled down, Legends sized version. I figured the Voyager's flaws would be less noticable at this scale, and I was right. But, this version introduces its own flaws.

The only change in bot mode is the forearms being hollow on the outside. But, at least this mode has arms. The T-Rex arms are now just molded bumps in the sides of the dino torso. The dino head can only pose striaght out, allowing for only a modern T-Rex pose, there the torso is parallel to the ground. He can only pose G1 style is you assume he's watching Swoop do a barrel roll.

On the plus side, the neck is now painted gold. On the minus side, the panel that the bot wings and dino head attach to is now black.

For the combined price of these two figures, Hasbro could've made one really good Grimlock. They'd still have my money, and saved on packaging costs.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Universe Countdown
A big, chunky afterthought repaint that works very well as the old Micromaster fella. I like the tools he comes with and he looks really good in both modes. The large rocket does make posing the robot mode awkward as it tends to unbalance him, but otherwise he's a cracking figure. Really like the vehicle mode which trundles around brilliantly. Best of all, there's some real heft to the guy. He seems to be a fella no-one can shift on the aftermarket, which is odd, as he's a brilliant toy.

Universe Stormcloud
I had a loose and incomplete one of these about 10 years ago and quite liked it. Having him back in hand again reminds of why I moved him on. He's by no means bad - the colours are excellent, for one thing - but he's such a top heavy fella in robot mode. His proportions are off too - the arms are very short and his waist is too narrow. What the robot mode lacks, the jet mode more than makes up for as it looks really cool. Overall, He's one of those slightly rubbishy figures I find charming.

Siege Battlemasters Firedrive, Blowpipe & Lionizer
Firedrive has a nice robot mode, but his cannon is only clipped in place and falls off all the time transforming him to weapon mode. Blowpipe is the better of the two Targetmasters, at least structurally, he doesn't fit well in terms of colours with the Decepticons in the first wave of Siege which bugs me more than it should. Lionizer is easily the best of the bunch - cool looking robot cat that folds up into a sword. And goes very well with Hound (for a homage to his old CHUG toy). I'm not a fan of the blast effects, but I know a lot of people like these, which is fine. Price-wise, they all feel expensive for what you actually get and I do feel a bit short-changed from them, but am glad I held out waiting for them to show up at retail rather than paying online prices, which seem very steep for these guys.

Cyberverse Turbine Thrash Windblade
I watched an episode of Cyberverse the other day, and it's really good! The show seems quite mature, not in a grimdark way, just that it's really well made and quite grown up for a 10 minute cartoon. So I'm puzzled that the toys are all pretty awful. Flimsy, simple, gimmick-heavy bits of plastic guff that have premium prices for things that look no better than a pound shop knock off. The only ones that have been decent are these Legend/Scout class sized ones ...that don't fully transform in favour of a silly action feature. Windblade is the fourth of these that I've bought. She lacks a little paint around the head (guessing Slipstream swallowed the paint budget for this line), but is otherwise the nicest looking Windblade I've seen. The gerwalk jet thing with pop out blades is fun, if incredibly naff. Like the others from this size class, she's a good pick up and fiddle with toy. If nothing else, they make for good modern day Action Masters.

Siege Cog
I really like Cog! He's a pile of guns that walks like a robot. He looks good, and like the others, feels nice and solid. I like how he splits apart to form various weapon accessories for the other 'bots. His vehicle modes are weird, but I like them. They certainly look more alien and Cybertronian than the others in the line. I was a bit hesitant about getting this guy, because there's that nagging pedant in my head going 'He's just an accessory for Fort Max!', but I'm glad I did because he's lots of fun.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Siege Spy Patrol arrived from Hasbro Pulse yesterday. Nice to have a couple buddies for Soundwave! I like the look of a 'tape' inside his chest - it makes his look a little less bland. They both fit in well, and the door opens nicely. I like the size too, as the ones that were paired with TR Soundwave were just a bit too big compared to everything else on the shelf. Laserbeak's single 'visor' is a bit weird, but I'll deal with it. His feet fit into nice little notches on Soundave's forearm too... not snugly, but it's OK. Ravage is neato. He's a touch on the chunky side, and has no tail, bit I like him. He's nowhere near as fiddly as TR Ravage was. I don't know if they'd warrant a purchase on their own, but they're nifty to have with Soundwave.

SS18 Bumblebee (VW). Couldn't resist when I picked up the movie on Bluray. He's really fun, and very small. All his weapons/accessories store in both modes! The beetle is compact and tiny compared to other SS figures, but it rolls well and looks nice. On the downside, it's a royal pain getting everything lined up and snugged in to snap it all together. In bot mode, he's got great articulation, and for the most part, nothing much is hindered. The accessories are really what made me bite, with the battle mask, arm cannon, and forearm blade. Overall he's very fun, if a bit fiddly.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Over the last couple of weeks I picked up or received in the mail this lot:

POTP Blackwing, Dinobot Sludge, Dinobot Snarl, Autobot Moonracer, Terrorcon Rippersnapper - Finally after waiting a year for local retail to get in more than a single box in my area, I decided to get the wave 2 deluxes from BBTS.

Siege BMs Pteraxadon, Aimless.

Siege MMs Laserbeak & Ravage (Soundwave Spy Patrol).

Siege Deluxes Ironhide, Autobot Sixgun.

All of the Siege figures were bought locally.

Armada Starscream and Jetfire - From eBay at their roughly retail price compared to what I've seen otherwise.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Studio Series 38 Optimus Prime. After re-watching Bumblebee, I've really come to like the visual direction of the bots in the new-ish movie-verse. Plus, SS38 is just a beautiful figure on it's own. I like the nice blend of realistic parts while keeping the same classic look. I didn't have anything against the Bayverse Optimus per se, but the look became increasingly 'blah' to me as the movies progressed. At any rate, the figure is really good. The first transformation was a bit tricky, but it's more intuitive than I initially pegged. Not too keen on some of the softer plastics used, as they can be fiddly to peg in place. Like SS18, the cab can be picky on tolerance for snapping it all together. Otherwise, the robot mode is a beaut, and has good articulation, detail, and paint apps. My only quibble is the heels keep unlocking when moving him about, causing the calves to also separate. Overall though, this one is a :up:
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Siege Shockwave
Finally, a decent modern Shockwave figure!Shockwave is one of my favourite Transformers, but so many of his modern incarnations have been lacking in my eyes. Even the Masterpiece ended up underwhelming me. This guy has the right level of purple for me, nice and deep and sinister looking. Light piping on this guy is superb - I love that even with minimal light, that beady yellow eye glows away. The base robot mode is as reported, piddly for a Leader Class figure and it is a bit bloody cheeky of Hasbro to try this on. He has some proportion issues for me too - he's quite skinny and feels a bit undersized. His right hand feels a bit massive too. Posability is excellent though and he's tonnes of fun. Detailing is insane, with loads of lines and panels. The armoured up robot mode is kind of goofy looking. I think I would have liked the two extra arms to have had claws or more creative weapons/ blasters. I much prefer this amoured stuff built up as a kind of transport that he rides around on. The base robot can form an approximation of his old space gun mode, which I like, but it's too small / I'm too old to wield it properly - it this had been a bigger figure, I think this would have been more impressive and worked better. Like with Ultra Magnus, the feet not tucking away does spoil it a bit. The armour pieces transform him into some Cybertronian God knows what, but it looks much better in hand than pictures make it look. I'm pretty happy with him and think it's probably the best modern Shockwave toy we're likely to get. Just needed to be bigger..
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Siege Prowl - While this toy has grown on me since the pictures were first released, I'm not a fan of the off-center Faction symbol on he's chest.

TLK Cogman - Found a couple on clearance at a local Coles as they were given a VERY late release here.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

RID15 Warrior Class Soundwave
An impulse purchase as Tesco are clearing out these out at £7.50 a throw. Soundwave is pretty cool, if a bit plain. He's blue throughout apart from hi)s clear red wheels and half his head. He has the expected faux-tape deck chest design, which is a design choice this Soundwave could have lived without (he is the same character as the Prime version, after all). What I do like is that this is the first time a vehicle mode for Soundwave has worked. The WFC/FOC thing from a few years ago was a pile of nothing on wheels, but this SUV type thing really works. I'm very happy with him :)
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Siege Chromia.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Universe Optimus Primal
Nifty 2003 repaint of the '96 Ultra Class figure. The brown and magenta makes for a nice colour-combo, the sickly green oddly sits well in the mix and the yellow highlights are good (although the missiles and swords being in yellow look a bit odd, especially the latter, which look like wibbly bananas). Beast mode is improved over the original thanks to an excellent silver/ red stripe which runs over the back around his eyes. Still a brilliant figure all these years on, and more fun than the MP :swirly: