Transformers: More than Meets the Eye season two discussion

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Patapsco

More Than Meets The Eye 54. I think

Post by Patapsco »

Five page preview here:

http://www.newsarama.com/29778-megatron ... eview.html

Hmmm.... hmmm.... HMMMMM!
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I see your hmm and raise you a ERRRRRRRR!

Curious how this plays out but initial thought was... well... its a bit like the end of BUffy season 7 isnt it?
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

well they're all hopped up steroids judging by how easily Chromedome clocks Overlord but I'm waiting for the full issue to pass judgment. As it stands though, it looks like a pretty bad yet (as is par for the course with Roberts work) totally within the story's internal logic
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

And domey has his arm back as well. More hmms.

Its far to soon to judge but I'm hoping that if there is some juicing going on there is a major sacrifice paid. Personally, I have hopes that the humour is set aside for sheer brutality but thats more Roche than Roberts.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Finally a death and a half and a legitimate cliffhanger too!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Spoiler that stuff! ��
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Did I say who dies? When in the preview it says massacre? It would only be spoilers if I said who died
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I was referring to the fact that you seemed please. That's a ****ing big spoiler right there.

Read it, thought it worked very well. As you said, some of the plot logic works because Roberts makes it work but it is still a tad hinky. That said, overall, very good stuff.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Does my disdain for some characters shine through that much? Anyway, probably the strongest issue of the mini so far, which had to go someway to top last months. Megatron, again, is the star by a country mile and his chat with Ratchet was gold. Elsewhere, nice to see Rodimus use the flameout again, is that the first time he's used it since Maximum Dinos? And as for the ending, why do I think that that is Deathsaurus swooping in to save Megatron? He didn't seem to pleased with the orders he was given *plus* he has the Decepticon radio frequency so may have overheard the orders Tarn gave.

Yeah, two strong issues in a row, big thumbs up here
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The very last episode of Buffy (and that earlier episode in the same season of Buffy that did the same thing) "Flashback to show the heroes aren't really rushing into death" opening actually had me deeply worried we were heading towards a massive cop out. And I can understand people thinking that.

But dang, that worked for me.

Not much time to add more than that, but Skids-Megatron-arm gunners-ect. Good shit.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

If I was to draw any sort of critcism it's that 500 Decepticons vs 20 (admittedly now roided up) Autobots has produced precisely 1 death in Censere and one severe injury in Ravage. Skids essentially killed himself, so doesn't count
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

If I was a kid reading this I'd say: That was awesome!

As a bigger kid I still say: That was awesome!

SPOILER-ISH, PLEASE DON'T READ BELOW:

I'm a bit worried as to who is actually dead, there appears to be five people missing (according to what the panels do and do not show). And I would've loved to have seen more of a Magnus/Helex fight.

Also, in 'The Story so far' description some muppet mistakenly swaps Magnus' name for Fortress Maximus.

Loved Chromedome thwapping Overlord across the battlefield! This issue made me want to see more fighting, it deserved to be longer and to include much more fighting!

And the reason I say that is because this issue reminded me of Raiders of the Last Ark. When I read that it was awesome because it gave a few characters the tiniest spotlight to show their fighting: Rumble vs. Sideswipe, Ravage v. Windcharger etc.

This episode of Dying of the Light probably had the same amount of vignette fighting, but, you know... after thirty years this felt like the opportunity to show a whole lot more!
The reality is there'll probably be more fighting in the next issue, but you know, we're all spoon fed on Game of Thrones and Hollyoaks these days, we can handle plenty more rough stuff.

Will Whirl save Cyclonus?

Was Overlord telling the truth?

And Ten's a proper trooper, eh? Even with one arm

And Magnus got to say his Movie line! I did smile!
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Nightbeat and Rung are "below". Skids has definitely carked it. Ravage is on death's door. I didn't see anyone else I don't think. Oh and the muppet that put Fort Max instead of Ultra Maximus was John Barber himself
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Sounds like the Editor needs a powered-up Editor.
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Also, when Chromedome smacks Overlord, that's a nod to the Coda of All Hail Megatron, right? Because Overlord's face and general position (flying through the air) is mimicking the scene where Springer hit Prowl.

It was an ace scene too, because prior to turning the page I thought the only way Chromedome could possibly get the upper hand... or simply not die, would be through another mental trigger, so it was hugely surprising (and satisfying) to see him punch Overlord out of the panel
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

I don't think what happens in this issue explains the way Skids was moping in the last one. There was a scene (it might have been the two issues previous), where Rung says goodbye as he goes off with Nightbeat, and Skids can barely muster a farewell. It was very odd. Being the super learner Bond type character he's usually so chipper, even against all odds (as Phil Collins once sang).

[Edit] Still wonder if Spinister is going to perform some incredible surgery on Dominus that will stun the pants off Ratchet. Or that SPinister himself is a weird back-up of Dominus whose gone a bit awry and can't remember why he's so skilled.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Auntie Slag wrote:[Edit] Still wonder if Spinister is going to perform some incredible surgery on Dominus that will stun the pants off Ratchet. Or that SPinister himself is a weird back-up of Dominus whose gone a bit awry and can't remember why he's so skilled.
Dominus is definitely dead
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

STILL SPOILERS BELOW... JUST IN CASE!

Like Dead Parrot dead? It'd be nice, but I've got a sceptical hat on at the moment.

If MTMTE chooses the Wayne's World Happy ending then:

- Dominus will live and go off with Alternate Lost Light Rewind.

- Overlord was lying, original Rewind is still around, preserved by whomever repaired Overlord. Rewind will be reunited with Chromedome, who only went with her 'coz she looked like you, my god! (that's a Pulp lyric for anyone who doesn't know). So Chromedome will get to be with his original love again (since he's wiped his own memories of past Conjunxes Scattergun, Mach and Pivot).

- Skids is not dead? I know he turned grey, but Ratchet was surprised about his spark suddenly becoming a pinprick in size, and maybe Rung's alt-mode will come into play to bring him back? (referring to the morph core being still warm, something Pax referred to when he came across Springarm's body).

- Skids still needs to meet Misfire and speak again to the alien blob thing on Luna 1.
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Auntie Slag wrote:I don't think what happens in this issue explains the way Skids was moping in the last one. There was a scene (it might have been the two issues previous), where Rung says goodbye as he goes off with Nightbeat, and Skids can barely muster a farewell. It was very odd. Being the super learner Bond type character he's usually so chipper, even against all odds (as Phil Collins once sang).
Isn't that because he fancied whatshername, but she just wanted to be friends?
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
Auntie Slag

Post by Auntie Slag »

Did he? Oh right, I thought he was just being Skids! Fair enough.

Lots of silly guesses now because I'm procrastinating work!

So are Overlord, Rung, original Rewind (if he turns up), Grimlock and Spinister all part of the Grand Architect's plan? And Censerre knew about it too?

Did Overlord bump into the Architect years ago (the occasion referred to by Snare in his report to Megatron, found in the back of the LSotW TPB).

Still trying to find a reason why Overlord suddenly turns up on the same planet as Megatron.

Is Whirl, being the first robot to change job/designation the first Cybertronian to have experienced manipulation at the hands of the Grand Architect?

Will anyone decode Ironfist's secret messages (the messages Red discovered).

Is Scourge dead? I think I asked this before, but he's not in MTMTE and I'm kind of assuming he's not in RID, was he really part of the big Chaos swarm?