Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #1-5

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Red Dave Prime wrote:So is part four the last week of april? Not set for tomorrow and I can only find april as the release date.

Last issue was Janaury - way to screw up momentum.
I think the artist/writer had some family problems to attend to
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Yeah, the hold's to accommodate Nick.

I think this is all going to read best in one sitting anyway.

edit: Have seen 27th mentioned in conversation.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

With a limited-run miniseries like this, I'm surprised they don't wait until the whole thing is done before they start publishing, so that they can guarantee timely releases. You'd have to think a delay like this is going to cost them some sales, because a lot of readers are bound to have forgotten it by now. I mean, I'd sure forgotten it until this thread reminded me!
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I'd hazard a guess that whatever it was was pretty unforseen, though I know Roche had problems with Last Stand in terms of art and getting it written, as Guido Guidi stood in on some pages, while Raiz helped out art wise for Maximum Dinobots though I have no idea of the lead time on a comic or whatever. I'd also guess that MtMtE's 49 delay probably had a lot to do with the artist being in Japan plus giving Milne extra time to finish off The Dying Of The Light, though that's just pure speculation on my part
"When did you first realize that he uses bad grammar to distract you whenever you raise an objection to something he wants to do?"
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Maybe thats why they went with Milne over Roche for MTMTE as the main ongoing artist. I dont want to bash on the guy, love his art and writing but there seems to be delays with a lot of his stuff. I'm not saying this in a "he should be drawing non stop to feed me more robot stuff!" but more as a general observation. Shit happens and life often gets in the way.

Or kids. Kids get in the way. Thats my experience anyway.
zigzagger

Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #4

Post by zigzagger »

It's here! Finally!

Transformers: Sins of the Wreckers #4 preview courtesy of Newsarama.

The story continues April 27.
Attachments
sotw4 pg5.jpg
sotw4 pg4.jpg
sotw4 pg3.jpg
sotw4 pg2.jpg
sotw4 pg1.jpg
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Never noticed how much alike mortilus and impactor are...

Looks good. Bring on the 27th
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

And I'm virtually certain Tarantulus is stringing Hubcap along so he can turn around and kill him once he's done
Death's Head
Protoform

Post by Death's Head »

Or turn him into something nasty. That's not an upgrade in his future, I fear.
SMITH
Portfolio | Blog | Freelance Agent Brompton Rhodes - Guns, Girls and Gorillas!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

A bit fuzzy on exactly when the Roadbuster Affair took place. After AHM? Before that...??

Crazy reveal though. Seriously, what the ****?

Makes me wonder what favor Impactor did for Prowl to let 'Buster off so lightly.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Good call on the timing of the RB affair.

So LSOTW happened 3 years [roughly] after AHM? And the Wreckers were looking for new recruits right around that time, so I'm guessing after AHM.
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Would the body designs for Prowl and Ratchet help narrow down the time period?

Anyway, it has to be pre-Pova (or at least pre-Aequitas Trials), as Roadbuster was purportedly released as a favor to Impactor. Impactor who'd been locked up on G-9 since the trial.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Is it before or after Roadbuster had the drug induced psychotic rampage that slaughtered all of the Krok's squad from MtMtE?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I've been lucky enough to read an advance copy thanks to friends in low places. It is very good.

Really very good.

To the point issue 5 will really have to **** things up for this not to be the TF story of the year by a massive margin.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Very enjoyable stuff here, with some frankly gorgeous art (worth the wait I guess).

Plotwise, it's good but there's a lot of moral gymnastics going on here and some of the character decisions feel ever so slightly odd given what the history of some of this characters is (Prowl in particular) but with sin comes redemption so its not completely failing, just seemed a little off for me.

Story of the year? So far that would probably be fair but 2016 hasn't had much amazingly strong stuff. Ex-RID still flip flops between Good to just messy and MTMTE is strong but there have been cracks recently to accommodate the story that have lessened the overall effect IMO. TF v Gi Joe has turned into the mess it always threatened to. So Sins can probably claim that title easily.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

Easily book of the week by a stupidly large margin. At times horrorific, ponderous (in a good way), funny and some great action sequences. I was incredibly doubtful after the first two issues but now I'm fully on board
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I feel like I should care that Roadbuster and Hubcap got offed, but I just don't. Am I wrong in thinking that these guys just didn't connect the way the likes of Rotorstorm and Pyro did in the last Wreckers mini? Even with their backstory fleshed out this issue, they still felt like ciphers.

Can't say I'm really bothered either way about Verity dying (or not) either.

The Wreckers' obvious disdain for Prowl really made me wonder why nobody put a bullet in his head. If they're only rescuing him to protect what he knows, surely the easiest way to do that is to ventilate his brain module? Especially since they're obviously not opposed to murdering Autobots who've done things they don't like.

Hubcap's story confused me a bit. Having it all thrown at us in the same issue where he died probably did it a disservice. It really didn't have any time to sink in. If we'd known about the massacre, found out later that Roadbuster was involved, and then found out this issue that Tarantulas had orchestrated it, it would have made him a far deeper character. As is, it seems like he just switched sides twice within about five pages of actual story, for reasons that weren't important enough to even hint at before.

Tarantulas is feeling more like Tarantulas now, though, and that's cool. I hope he survives and gets to menace some actually likeable characters in the future.

Overall, I'm enjoying this but I'm still not really invested in it.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

That panel man.

That panel.

When enough time has past, memes will be made of that panel.

Fantastic stuff from start to finish. Unlike the esteemed Warcry, I thought the Roadbuster stuff was well handled (there are subtle hints setting it up throughout, most notably Impactor being worried when he thinks he's hearing things in issue 1), bleak and dark and strangely heroic as he got some validation at the end.

With that panel.

And God bless the wiki (and I know I only really ever mention the wiki to poke fun at its idiosyncrasies, it does do a lot of good work I shamelessly use in my own writing) which is really struggling with the fact we all jumped to the wrong conclusion (probably even as intentional misdirection) about the Roadbuster Affair being the spine ripping from MTMTE. Some of the "But..." back on forth on twitter was fun (in a sweet way).

Hubcap though I would agree was very rushed and felt like another area where it could have done with those extra two pages.

But that said, the scene between him, Prowl and Impactor was just about perfect. As to why not just kill Prowl, from a pragmatic point of view:

A: Obviously no one knows everything he's been up to, keeping him alive to explain any future weird shit makes sense.

B: He's far too useful in a way Hubcap isn't.

As I've never been a Verity fan I wasn't so bothered about her dying as I probably should have been, but her sense of overwhelming failure and rather sad attempt to strike out before she died felt like the most real the character has ever been (though as with most of her pop culture references, can anyone see her sitting down to watch Hawaii 5-0?). Probably too late in the day to save her for me, but she works as well as she ever has.

Amidst all the good character stuff it's easy to overlook the insane Wreckers Vs Mayhems scenes. Including a subtle and long overdue bit of closure on the Guzzle/Kup thing (actually quite sad, Guzzle no longer minds fighting alongside Kup or being complimented by him because he's off his face) and just insane image after insane image. Oh Tidal Wave, let's have a Titan Returns sad whale robot.

So yeah, barely even touched on a lot of stuff (expect more later), but bonza as Australians say.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

inflatable dalek wrote:Fantastic stuff from start to finish. Unlike the esteemed Warcry, I thought the Roadbuster stuff was well handled (there are subtle hints setting it up throughout, most notably Impactor being worried when he thinks he's hearing things in issue 1), bleak and dark and strangely heroic as he got some validation at the end.
I honestly don't even remember any lines Roadbuster had in the first three issues. That's probably a function of the long delay, though. I may well have cared more about him if I'd gone back and reread before jumping into this issue.
inflatable dalek wrote:But that said, the scene between him, Prowl and Impactor was just about perfect. As to why not just kill Prowl, from a pragmatic point of view:

A: Obviously no one knows everything he's been up to, keeping him alive to explain any future weird shit makes sense.

B: He's far too useful in a way Hubcap isn't.
I'm not so sure that's true anymore. Everything Prowl's done over the last decade has blown up spectacularly in his face and the faces of everyone around him. Especially since war's end, he's been constantly making bad decisions that make situations far worse than they needed to be. I don't think he knows how to exist in a world that isn't defined by open hostility, and he doesn't know how to step aside and let someone else control the levers of power without meddling, either. I think you can make a strong argument that the Autobots would be better off without him.

Likewise, keeping him around to explain weird shit just means he's going to be causing more weird shit behind your back.
Patapsco

Post by Patapsco »

I remember asking Roberts about the spine ripping on Twitter and he said yes it was the evening I asked, and deleted the tweet afterwards so who knows