OFFICIAL TRANSFORMERS TOYS NEWS

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Re: MP-21G -- Usually not too crazy about chrome myself. Sans the Transmetals stuff, of course; those were fabulous. But this I kinda like. The gold is slightly dulled, so it's not as obnoxious per Takara's usual antics. Makes the mold just pop.

The limbs might be molded in a different shade of black, too.

Will have to agree; I prefer G2 'Bee over the original release.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Warcry wrote:Definitely an improvement over the bland orangish original release, though.
Were there issues with orange paint? My MP Bumblebee is yellow, and I have to say my favourite Masterpiece to date. Infact he's my favourite Transformer ever.

:-)

I like the gold version, but would only pay out for Goldbug.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Warcry wrote:Nah, it's G2 Bumblebee. Goldbug has a much different head, it's blue and has a totally different shape. And he was in the cartoon, so they definitely would have done the remolding if it was meant to be Goldbug.
Oh yeah, there was a regular one as well as the Gobot, wasn't there...

They're going to get a decent number of mould reuses out of this with a new head or two.

I'm liking the G2 love, even if the most iconic one was done with Sideswipe.
AndrewDTurnbull

Post by AndrewDTurnbull »

I chucked an order in with Robot Kingdom for this. The G2 homage made it a must buy toy. Though I would still go for an MP Goldbug toy further down the line.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

zigzagger wrote:Re: MP-21G -- Usually not too crazy about chrome myself. Sans the Transmetals stuff, of course; those were fabulous. But this I kinda like. The gold is slightly dulled, so it's not as obnoxious per Takara's usual antics. Makes the mold just pop.
Is it even chromed? It's really hard to tell in a picture this size, but it seems too flat to be gold chrome. I was thinking it might actually be a really nice gold paint.
Denyer wrote:Oh yeah, there was a regular one as well as the Gobot, wasn't there...
There was! It was one of the nicest Minibots IMO, though the chrome on mine has started to discolour a bit over the decades.
Denyer wrote:They're going to get a decent number of mould reuses out of this with a new head or two.
The list is pretty deep for this mold, isn't it? Aside from the original and this, there's Goldbug obviously. And red Bumblebee, which a lot of folks will buy as a Cliffjumper stand-in. Then Glyph and Bugbite, and I suppose there's a ton of Latin American decos too. So they definitely won't be hurting for ideas. But like Sideswipe, I doubt they'll put out all of them.

And that's before you consider the possibility that they might reshell the thing as Cliffjumper, Hubcap and Bumper, which is probably a 50/50 proposition.
AndrewDTurnbull wrote:I chucked an order in with Robot Kingdom for this. The G2 homage made it a must buy toy. Though I would still go for an MP Goldbug toy further down the line.
I almost did the same, until I saw the ridiculous shipping rates they were charging to Canada. I've gotten EMS quotes for similar-sized items coming from Asia that were less than what they wanted for bog-standard surface shipping that'll take the better part of a month to get here. No thanks.

I guess I'll wait and see what the price is when he pops up on Japanese sites before I decide whether or not I'm getting one. The G2 homage makes it pretty close to a must-have for me as well, especially since I already have G2 Sideswipe and those two were in my top-five favourite toys when I was little.
numbat wrote:Were there issues with orange paint? My MP Bumblebee is yellow, and I have to say my favourite Masterpiece to date. Infact he's my favourite Transformer ever.
Maybe it's just how he looks in pictures, but the colour looks closer to a block of cheddar cheese than the bright, cheery yellow that I'd expect from a cartoon-based Bumblebee. Of course, that's probably just me being picky on account of how many other good Bumblebee toys I already own. The more toys I own of a character, the higher my standards get for any new one.
Unicron

Post by Unicron »

Warcry wrote:Is it even chromed? It's really hard to tell in a picture this size, but it seems too flat to be gold chrome. I was thinking it might actually be a really nice gold paint.
That definitely looks like a nice paint to me. Small pic yes, but it doesn't have the shine or reflectiveness I normally see on chromed stuff.

At least I hope it's paint and not actually gold plastic...
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Well, uh... it's shiny anyway. So hush :p

Takara likes making shiny Transformers, often unnecessarily so. For once I like it. Guess that's what I meant.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

For those tnat own it, how easy does it look that they could get a decent Goldbug out of this, complete with hood?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Could possibly pivot the entire back roof piece around 180 degrees. Suspect it'd need a remould and be a bit fragile. Seems like it'd definitely work as a custom, though.

http://i.imgur.com/4izE113.jpg

Pic from http://chcse.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/toy ... osuit.html

edit:
Warcry wrote:The list is pretty deep for this mold, isn't it? Aside from the original and this, there's Goldbug obviously. And red Bumblebee, which a lot of folks will buy as a Cliffjumper stand-in. Then Glyph and Bugbite, and I suppose there's a ton of Latin American decos too. So they definitely won't be hurting for ideas. But like Sideswipe, I doubt they'll put out all of them.

And that's before you consider the possibility that they might reshell the thing as Cliffjumper, Hubcap and Bumper, which is probably a 50/50 proposition.
Could go for either Redbee or Hubcap, personally. I like the design enough but am pretty sick of the BB character / archetype (more what it's become than what it was originally) which is partly why I went for a 3P Goldbug and haven't been thinking about this current redeco as him.

Will still probably snag one of these if I see a good price or it gets knocked off.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I can see the hood working for GB, I'll probably wait for that (inevitability?) as I've always liked toys that feel like a gooooooooooooooold bug more.

I do have to agree with Warcry, in pictures, even of toys in hand like the one Denyer posted that haven't been photoshopped to buggery like the official ones, the colour just looks oddly wrong for Bumblebee. It should be a more vibrant yellow rather than the borderline orange, I don't think he's ever looked like that in any media.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Warcry wrote:I guess I'll wait and see what the price is when he pops up on Japanese sites before I decide whether or not I'm getting one. The G2 homage makes it pretty close to a must-have for me as well, especially since I already have G2 Sideswipe and those two were in my top-five favourite toys when I was little.
That was quick...was able to preorder him at Anime-Export for around $15 less (including shipping, based on the estimates they give for the other MP cars) than what Robot Kingdom would have wanted.

I'm glad they lowered the MSRP from the first MP-21. Charging the same for this little guy as the full-sized cars was downright extortionate, IMO. The price for this version is much more reasonable.
Unicron wrote:That definitely looks like a nice paint to me. Small pic yes, but it doesn't have the shine or reflectiveness I normally see on chromed stuff.
inflatable dalek wrote:I do have to agree with Warcry, in pictures, even of toys in hand like the one Denyer posted that haven't been photoshopped to buggery like the official ones, the colour just looks oddly wrong for Bumblebee. It should be a more vibrant yellow rather than the borderline orange, I don't think he's ever looked like that in any media.
So I'm not going blind after all? That's a relief!
Denyer wrote:Could possibly pivot the entire back roof piece around 180 degrees. Suspect it'd need a remould and be a bit fragile. Seems like it'd definitely work as a custom, though.
They might make it a separate accessory too, like G2 Sideswipe's extra set of shoulder wheels.

I do wonder if this release says that they're not planning a Goldbug, though. With the wide swath of available colour schemes, I would definitely be a little bit surprised to see them do two that are so very similar, much like G2 Sideswipe made a Deep Cover much less likely. At the very least I'd expect to see a few other colours first.
Denyer wrote:Could go for either Redbee or Hubcap, personally.
The one that would really make me go nuts is G2 Hubcap, but something tells me that's taking things one step too far.

I am very curious to see if they retool this into a cutesy Porsche or Mazda, though. On the one hand you'd expect them too because it's cartoon-accurate, but on the other hand it would really go against the "fully realistic licensed cars" theme they've devoted a lot of energy to. I half-expect them go crazy and try to get cartoon Cliffjumper out of a real-world Porsche (which they could probably do, though I suspect it'd be a fiddly mess).
Clay

Post by Clay »

Surprise! The Insecticons have been reissued again.

Honestly I didn't know they were coming out again. And with the price of $80 (!), they can keep them. They were just reissued five (?) years ago at half that price...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Decided to give Anime Export a shot as well.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I think we only heard the first rumours about a new Insecticon reissue around Christmas. I'm surprised their out already.

That price is insane! You could probably track down all three originals in good condition for less than $80 these days.

Apparently there's a set of Coneheads coming out too, but if they want $80 for the bugs they'll probably be asking something stupid like $200 for the bigger guys.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote:Apparently there's a set of Coneheads coming out too, but if they want $80 for the bugs they'll probably be asking something stupid like $200 for the bigger guys.
More's the pity. I could actually go for a reissue set of Coneheads.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

And a titan class combiner wars Devastator has been found in TRU Canada's listing system.

"Supposedly" six voyager sized constructicons.

Holy cow, this might be the year I buy more than 3 hasbro mainline releases :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

I dunno, $80 seems alright to me, but Hasbro's earlier reissue set has been pricy on the aftermarket for about 3 years now and whilst this RRP might seem daft, it still seems reasonable - that's what, £50 - about the same as the Takara Bookbox set and previous Hasbro Outing cost over here. Are folk just upset becasue they're now just having to pay UK prices...? :p

I could go for a set of coneheads too...
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Not sure how I feel about the price...consider that that much money gets you [roughly] two hasbro leader class figures, which have more than 3 times each the number of parts of those insecticons and about 30 more points of articulation, it feels a bit too much.

Then again I don't have a thing for G1 figures so I'd pass on them at every instance regardless :lol:
Few stuff in the UK to trade/sell. Measly sales thread.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Clay wrote:More's the pity. I could actually go for a reissue set of Coneheads.
My thoughts were similar, at least until I remembered how much I hate the G1 seekers I already own. Then I was happy that it will probably cost too much for me to ponder buying and then regretting.
Knightdramon wrote:And a titan class combiner wars Devastator has been found in TRU Canada's listing system.

"Supposedly" six voyager sized constructicons.
The six-Voyagers rumour has been circling around ever since the Combiner Wars stuff was first revealed. I imagine we'll find out for sure in about a month at this year's NY Toy Fair.
Skyquake87 wrote:I dunno, $80 seems alright to me, but Hasbro's earlier reissue set has been pricy on the aftermarket for about 3 years now and whilst this RRP might seem daft, it still seems reasonable - that's what, £50 - about the same as the Takara Bookbox set and previous Hasbro Outing cost over here. Are folk just upset becasue they're now just having to pay UK prices...? :p
Don't forget that if it's $80 in the US, it's in all likelihood going to be £80 in the UK...

And people are upset (or at least confused) because Hasbro sold the same set for $40 barely five years ago and it didn't exactly fly off the shelves for that price. Honestly I'm surprised they're reissuing them at all, at least so soon. If anything, with combiners being the big theme of this year's line you'd think they'd trot out Devastator or Bruticus or whichever other combiner molds haven't been completely destroyed. Well, not the Seacons since BBTS is still trying to get rid of the last run, or the Predacons since they did them last year (and that was some poor planning, IMO). But any of the others.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Warcry wrote:My thoughts were similar, at least until I remembered how much I hate the G1 seekers I already own. Then I was happy that it will probably cost too much for me to ponder buying and then regretting.
Oh, I know the jet mold is probably the weakest of the Diaclone lot, but I like the differentiation the Coneheads embody. But I don't like it enough to pay a premium for it.
And people are upset (or at least confused) because Hasbro sold the same set for $40 barely five years ago and it didn't exactly fly off the shelves for that price.
Less than that, even... I think I paid $35 or even $30 for the set at full price. They didn't hang around here to go on clearance, though.
Well, not the Seacons since BBTS is still trying to get rid of the last run, or the Predacons since they did them last year (and that was some poor planning, IMO). But any of the others.
Are they really still trying to peddle of Seacon sets? I might look into some extra sets if they're cheap enough... They are back up to full price.