[The video game thread]

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Auntie Slag wrote:@Ganon; well I'd say just because the games are so damn fun! I've spent years agonising over whether to get a 360 or PS3 and I've decided (finally) to just stick with the Wii as I do enjoy the games it has and I can't get them anywhere else.

For example; Donkey Kong Country Returns, NSMBWii, Mario Galaxy 2, Skyward Sword, Punch Out!, Mario Kart, Sports Resort etc. Sure a lot of them are graphically funky updates of 25 year old gameplay, but that gameplay is incredibly tight and fun. There's no flabby levels twice as big as they need to be, and I appreciate them not wasting my time like that. I've had enough of backtracking and fetch quests even if they were fun sometimes (Fable, Jade Empire etc).

If I had twice the time I'd be all over a 360 or PS3 like a fly on shit, but I don't. So am happy with my choice at the moment (want a WiiU though)!
I completely agree that the games are hugely fun. Mario Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword were a couple of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I have had over the past couple years. What they have out for the Wii U right now isn't enough to drive me to get a system though. Over time when the price drops and I see whatever new Zelda is coming (not including the recently announced Wind Waker HD) I will bite. At the moment there's just too much stuff out there for me to play without getting a new system!
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Well to be honest microsoft has already won me over, theyve never le me down personally and ive had 3 360s red ring, all of wich excpt thelast they replaced and the only reason i didnt send it in was to get the slim gears 3 one i have now. They have me won over untill a major mistake is made. I use my kinect all the time for voice commands and sucks theres no hardcore games for it but it was just a beta test for the tech really. They only way ill turn away from this is if when they announce the 720, nextbox or whatever its called is if its digital only, i cant stand that idea. When they do shw it off a few things are certain: 1. They WILL show the box, major nelson all but confirmed this via a tweet after the PS4 show. 2. itll be less than $500 no wa theyll go higher than that. 3. Thy will come out swinging showing off all major first party games and save third party and some surprises for E3. Thy have to have something huge up their sleeve, major nelson put a count down timer to E3 on is blog and nobody at microsoft has ever done that before! And honestly ganon its past time for a new generation of consoles. They normally last 5 years and the 360 will be 8 this year. im surprised it lasted this long! Dont worry they will still make 360 games for year to come and theyll stop right around a price cut of both systems so its a win win for you! :P For me ive had my 360 since feb. 07 so im ready for them.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

ganon578 wrote:I've only had my 360 for 2.5 years and my PS3 for 1.5 years. There's still a veritable truckload of games I have not played on those systems. How many other people out there are just like I am?
*raises hand*

I'm definitely in the same boat. I got a Wii in 2011 and a 360 last year, and I've still got a long way to go before I run out of games in their library that I want to play. I prefer to do that with video game consoles, to be honest...why buy them new when there's only a handful of good games available when you can wait a few years and have so much more selection? Especially when (like the Wii U) the launch titles are so massively uninspiring?
ganon578 wrote:The Wii U, for me at least, isn't really in the next gen of consoles.
Serious question, then -- what would make the next generation of consoles? In spite of their aging hardware, the PS3 and 360 are still capable of some pretty impressive graphics and AI. The amount of people who care about graphical advances beyond what we've got currently is pretty small, honestly, as was proven when the "underpowered" Wii massively outsold the flashier PS3 and 360. But that's all the new consoles are going to offer -- output in 1080p, slightly faster loading times, somewhat improved touch screen/motion control features. Incremental improvements over what we've got now, but nothing revolutionary. The Wii sold hugely because it made a big splash and changed the way video games were played, something that hadn't happened since the mid-90s when the PS1/N64 generation moved the industry from 2D sprites to 3D graphics. At first glance the Wii U doesn't offer anything even remotely as innovative and the PS4 and new Xbox sound like they'll be more of the same, so really...what is there to create buzz for the new consoles?

I was shocked, actually, by how low-key the Wii U's launch was. I could have walked into a store around Christmas and grabbed one off the shelf easily, something that didn't happen with the original Wii until four or five years after launch around these parts.
The PS3 KILLeR wrote:Well to be honest microsoft has already won me over, theyve never le me down personally and ive had 3 360s red ring
In my books, selling hardware that we've come to expect to burn out in the process of normal use is a huge let-down.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I have gotten both Tomb Raider Collector's Edition and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance Limited Edition, both on PS3. I am having difficulty trying to get the Lara Croft figure to stand up, but she does come with a few accessories: two pairs of hands, a couple of guns and a bow and arrow.

With Metal Gear Rising, I bought the US limited edition, so I got a plasma lamp with a US power plug, so now I have to order a converter off Ebay to get it to work.
Destruction is my specialty
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

The PS3 KILLeR wrote:They only way ill turn away from this is if when they announce the 720, nextbox or whatever its called is if its digital only, i cant stand that idea.
Digital only won't happen for a very long time. Even though the coastal areas here in the States have really good internet capabilities, a vast majority of other areas here and in other countries really don't have the infrastructure to support something like that. If someone in the middle of Wyoming wanted to download a game at even today's sizes, it just wouldn't happen. I live in an area with decent internet, and it still took about 2 days for a friend of mine to download NCAA Football '13. I can't even imagine what it's like for someone like Warcry, who's way out in Canada. ;)
Warcry wrote:*raises hand*Serious question, then -- what would make the next generation of consoles? In spite of their aging hardware, the PS3 and 360 are still capable of some pretty impressive graphics and AI. The amount of people who care about graphical advances beyond what we've got currently is pretty small, honestly, as was proven when the "underpowered" Wii massively outsold the flashier PS3 and 360. But that's all the new consoles are going to offer -- output in 1080p, slightly faster loading times, somewhat improved touch screen/motion control features. Incremental improvements over what we've got now, but nothing revolutionary. The Wii sold hugely because it made a big splash and changed the way video games were played, something that hadn't happened since the mid-90s when the PS1/N64 generation moved the industry from 2D sprites to 3D graphics. At first glance the Wii U doesn't offer anything even remotely as innovative and the PS4 and new Xbox sound like they'll be more of the same, so really...what is there to create buzz for the new consoles?

I was shocked, actually, by how low-key the Wii U's launch was. I could have walked into a store around Christmas and grabbed one off the shelf easily, something that didn't happen with the original Wii until four or five years after launch around these parts.
You make some really good points, and I don't really have a good answer for it. I'm not even sure what I would qualify as the next gen of consoles; with the Wii U so close in power and capabilities (controller aside) from their competitors, it just doesn't seem like a new generation. Not that it really matters anyways, because when Nintendo drops a new Zelda, Mario, Metroid, etc. no one will care about power or capabilities, myself included.

You're right too, there wasn't much hype around the Wii U, it just sort of came out. No fanfare, really, and now there are just simple kiosks in GameStop stores, most of which don't even have playable demos working, which is a major letdown for a system hell bent on delivering a new way to play via the controller.

Oh, on topic, I picked up Darksiders II for the PS3. I've only played about 45 minutes of it, but I'm hooked. A mish-mash of Prince of Persia, God of War, and Zelda along with loot drops and RPG elements? I'm sold!
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Picked up a copy of Transformers: Prime for the DS, and Bloodrayne II and Heroes of Might and Magic V. The babe behind the counter took most of the pain away from getting Bloodrayne, because I had to get the movie as well. Dear Primus, for what Uwe Boll has done to film......
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Warcry wrote: In my books, selling hardware that we've come to expect to burn out in the process of normal use is a huge let-down.
They replaced all my red ring consoles free of charge even after i had one for two years... thats great customer service in my books. With sony its just the first 90 days or year after that your screwed. At least they admitted they made a mistake and fixed it, I never payed one penny to get a new system untill i upgraded to my slim gears one a year ago. I honestly don't see how that is a let-down. ive heard horror stories of people buying one day one and it red ring but me personally never had a problem like that. And i felt they handled my problems very well, and when you get down to it, we as customers give our money to the people who we liked the best. And I personally liked the 360 the best on all fronts except the fact i can only play blurays in my ps3. If it wasnt for that and the fact mgs4 is only on ps3 and uncharted wasnt so damn awesome, i whould not own a ps3. 360 is just better for me, i prefer the online, gamepad, how they handle the apps, its the everything box! I can chainsaw people in gears, watch my favorite stuff on netflix, get my workout from kinect, and stay in contact with my friends by only turning on one device. The xbox fits me like a glove and ill take it with me to the grave! Say what you will about it but its never let me down and its the best $400 i ever spent! :)
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

The main reason I bought a PS3 was because of it being a damn good Blu-Ray player, the games I've played on it the most are Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, Dragon Age: Origins, and Dragon Age II even though there some minor graphical improvements and there is no disc swapping I still perfer to play them on Xbox 360 because the load times are so damn long on the PS3. Especially on DA:O I generally love auto saving (because I have a tendency to some times forget to save) but it takes so long for the game to auto-save and it pause your game that at times it makes the game a lot less fun to play.

I don't enjoy playing the ME3 multiplayer on the PS3 due to long load times, lag times, and the constant "waiting for other players" box I get. The sad irony is that I have more thermal clips, medi-gel, missile launchers, and survival ops packs and and four of the N7 weapons maxed out on my PS3.
I've still haven't gotten one class leveled up to 20 and promoted on my PS3, I've gotten every class promoted several times on my Xbox 360. I generally enjoying playing the MP of ME3 on Xbox 360 and don't play it that much on PS3.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I found Starcraft II on Newegg for $18, so figured I had to pick it up at that price. I'll stack it up in my pile of games that are waiting for me to finish Skyrim. I think I'm almost to the point where I've done enough adventuring and will probably just finish out the main quest. (I was rather disappointed at the lack of rewards for becoming president of the thieves' guild.)
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Apparently the new ME3 DLC is out.
Is it worth getting? Some people told me it was total fan-wankery.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:Apparently the new ME3 DLC is out.
Is it worth getting? Some people told me it was total fan-wankery.
It's the best Mass Effect DLC since Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker.

As too bit being fan-wankery Mass Effect 3: Citadel is being promoted as the final Mass Effect DLC dealing with Commander Shepard and company. I think of it as a celebration of the success that the Mass Effect Trilogy has had.

It's got a ton of replayablity and is loads of fun to play.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Cyberstrike nTo wrote:It's the best Mass Effect DLC since Mass Effect 2: Lair of the Shadow Broker.

As too bit being fan-wankery Mass Effect 3: Citadel is being promoted as the final Mass Effect DLC dealing with Commander Shepard and company. I think of it as a celebration of the success that the Mass Effect Trilogy has had.

It's got a ton of replayablity and is loads of fun to play.
I got money to waste today ($20 on the ground for no reason + nobody claiming it = Victory) so I think I'll just go ahead and get it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

I've not gotten any of the DLC yet. I made the mistake of starting a new ME3 game while still being annoyed at the ending. I'm planning to get all three DLCs, then start a new game (well, with my nearly max level Shepard which finished the game once already anyway).

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Been playing the Gears of war Judgment Demo all day long, its just one map and one mode but as a big gears fan the changes they have made are so amazing and fluid when put along side the other gears games. even gears 3 feels clunky and slow compaired to this! Simply can not wait for tuesday to get here!!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

My copy of God Of War: Ascension came in on Friday, after missing the postie on Thursday. The game came in a steelbook and came with a Kratos Sackboy, that I was hoping would be a plushie.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

After getting Darksiders 2 and thoroughly enjoying it so far, I went out and picked up the first Darksiders. Haven't played it yet (still barely into the second one) but with THQ sold off, who knows how long you will be able to find copies of this one circulating for decent prices.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Ok after beating the game 3 times and logging 10 hours in multiplayer Gears of war judgment is by far the best gears game i have ever played i cant believe this is still the same engine that powered the first gears! Makes me get goosebumbs thinking about how much better unreal engine 4 will be! the story jumps around a bit and you have to do this stupid push up on the D pad to go to the next area, whatever happened to just opening doors?!?! But by far is this a major improvement and it proves it doesnt take epic to make gears what it is, people can fly did a great job! The only major problems i have with it are mp related. First off only 8 maps 4 for overrun and 4 for FFA, TDM, and domination. this works out great for overrun seeing as each map is so unique and each match takes upwards of 20 minutes. But the othe maps get stale fast in normal map rotation. Another bad thing is no horde mode! All we get is survival which is basicly overrun with bots and 10 waves... thats it! And it just feels like this game is not meant to last long, you can earn any medal in any mode now, and even the medal numbers have been cut in half in some cases and others even more like Doorman interact with 1000 objects in campaign (gears 3) is only 200 to get onyx in judgment. All signs point to another gears game very soon using UE4 on the next xbox. But still this is a gears game for gears fans and if you are a fan you will not be let down. It not as meaty as gears 3 was but its a hellva way to send out the 360!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

I downloaded the Omega DLC for Mass Effect 3, it's not bad, it does go for 4-5 hours and does give you a couple of new squad mates for the mission
SPOILER! (select to read)
(Aria T'Loak and a new female Turian called Nyreen)
. Since I haven't completed it yet I don't know if the new character actually joins you or not, I suspect not.

I also bought Naruto Shippuden Ultimate Ninja Storm 3: Will Of Fire Edition.
Not much to say, if you have played any of the others, this is probably quite similar to most of the others. It also came with a Naruto Uzumaki statue.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Picked up The walking dead survival instinct. its not as bad as people make it out to be but washed out textures, plastic walkers, and tedious combat are taking its toll on me was hopin for a zombiu clone but its bascily an fps hack and slash with stealth on top. still fun just not as much as it should be for walking dead. But Michael Rooker is in it and meryle is my favortie of the walking dead cast. I dont like the raceist side of him but i like how hes an a-hole to anybody and i feel hes got a good side hes hiding which hes showed in recent episodes. I mainly just like Michael Rooker, that dude is just beast! :P
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

HeavyArms wrote:I downloaded the Omega DLC for Mass Effect 3, it's not bad, it does go for 4-5 hours and does give you a couple of new squad mates for the mission
(Aria T'Loak and a new female Turian called Nyreen)
. Since I haven't completed it yet I don't know if the new character actually joins you or not, I suspect not.
Here is the answer:
No, they don't. Aria returns to bar in the Citadel while Omega is repaired and Nyreen dies.