Masterpiece Prime is bloody awesome, though, isn't he?

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Cliffjumper

Masterpiece Prime is bloody awesome, though, isn't he?

Post by Cliffjumper »

I mean, fair play.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm guessing it was the weekend work experience guy who designed him and Grimlock rather than the regular team who came up with Megatron and the others whilst off their nuts on cocaine.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

I've come around to the mould enough to pick one up. After a couple of Masterpiece figures, other stuff starts feeling small.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Mmm - my one complaint is that there isn't really anyone any good for him to actually pose with. At least not without making him look a bit of a bully, anyway.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:Mmm - my one complaint is that there isn't really anyone any good for him to actually pose with. At least not without making him look a bit of a bully, anyway.
I thought you had him up with the Ideon?

To this day, I still like the Starscream mold. Granted he's not robust enough to bat around like Prime and Grimlock, but I really, really admire it for looking like a jet from all angles.

I just took Megatron out of the box a few weeks ago for the first time in a couple of years. I quickly remembered why I put him in there.
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

Yeah, Prime is awesome as long as you stick to a pose that bends his knee one click, twist the waist one more click and spread the arm not holding the gun\axe\megatron towards the viewing spot of the display.

I still cling on to the black version I have, but that's seriously one of the coolest poses he can stay in without looking unnatural\tilting\falling on his face. Nice and heavy too, but there could have been ways to work around his die-cast weight\frame limitations.

Starscream and Grimlock rock, even Hot Rod once you get the hang of his transformation\don't break anything\get lucky not to get a really sucky copy. Though from some angles and if you twist his waist a bit more to the side, Hot Rod does not look so good.

Megatron is best left in the dark. There's rumours from a very credible source that MP-11 will have the fandom groan even worse than with Convoy v 2.0. Some speculate a whole new seeker mould, others speculate a newer Megatron. I'd cherish that Megatron with all my love if that's true.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Clay wrote:I thought you had him up with the Ideon?
1) They're both goodies, so can only fight due to a brief misunderstanding in the opening ten minutes or so.
2) Scale's a head**** - working from the anime, WST Prime is about on scale with the Ideon.
3) Too unfair the other way.
To this day, I still like the Starscream mold. Granted he's not robust enough to bat around like Prime and Grimlock, but I really, really admire it for looking like a jet from all angles.
I'm seriously tempted to try a version of the mould that isn't the super-shitty Hasbro Skywarp, though he'd still be too small I think...

I just took Megatron out of the box a few weeks ago for the first time in a couple of years. I quickly remembered why I put him in there.[/quote]
Knightdramon wrote:Yeah, Prime is awesome as long as you stick to a pose that bends his knee one click, twist the waist one more click and spread the arm not holding the gun\axe\megatron towards the viewing spot of the display.
I dunno, I'm still finding the balance and range of the thing to be exceptional TBH, there's not a lot I've tried he can't pull off, even with one loose ankle. The biggest limitation is the grip on the gun.

I'd love a Grimlock, but it looks like I missed the boat, and a hundred quid for something HasTak is just too much of a gamble.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

TRU have been restocking MP Grimlock's up this neck of the woods. Still £60 a pop, but that's cheaper than import. My only gripe with Grimlock is the loose feeling chest mechanism - required for the essential waggy tail tiltly head mechanism in beast mode. That and he's pretty much identical to the G1 figure in terms of transformation - not that this is a bad thing necessarily, but does make me think I'd have felt a bit ripped off paying for the costly Takara versions. Animated Grimlock also carries off a very similar transformation with greater aplomb than the MP version too.

Also : I like MP Skywarp. But then he cost me £20. The seeker mould would have superb with some die cast. As a largely plastic figure, he feels about as durable as an airfix kit.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Do I feel ripped off because I bought the Takara version of Grimlock?

No, not really.