POST YOUR NEWEST ACQUISITIONS!

Figures, collectables, customs and collecting.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

Universe Skyjack.. Skyfall
I already talked about the Universe Silverbolt mold at length and suffice to say, it kinda blows. It turns into a jet with a robot underneath it into a robot with a jet on its back. The mold was one of the weakest in the Universe line, but I went ahead and got it for the Skyjack head which will be arriving soonish.

Skyjack (or, Skyfall for the usual trademark reasons) is a Wal*Mart exclusive that was on the tail end of the Universe line. He is a black and red redeco of the Silverbolt mold and, admittedly, the colors look pretty good. The new wing paint-apps make the jet rather impressive, and the black and red robot mode is fairly striking.

Skyjack is meant to be an homage to the G2 Cyberjet and the similarities are there despite that vast change in size and the swap between the stealth bomber types. The black helmet and gold face tries to envoke the Cyberjet's look but doesn't really pull it off (hence the upcoming Renderform custom kit). The blinking red eyes LED works a bit better here, at least... and there's some fun to be had pushing and pulling his legs just to make the transforming sound.

In short, there's not a lot to say about this guy. It's a solid redeco of a very weak mold. Though he's a Wal*Mart expensive, he's pretty far from rare and nowhere near as sought after as his mates Powerglide and Hardhead. Might be a bit more worth the effort with the custom head, but not really a toy worth seeking out, either.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Did some trading at a local store today (more on that store later)... All of these are older figures already reviewed, so I'll keep to brief thoughts this time.

Classics Roadbuster
This is a solid redeco of the Galaxy Force Hot Shot figure from the Cybertron line. It's a little simplistic compared to the Classics/Universe figures themselves, but it works really well, particularly in robot mode. Sadly, the face doesn't remotely resemble Roadbuster's mug, but it's still a nice homage. There was a garage kit for new weapons and head for Roadbuster to make him more G1-like, but that's long since disappeared.

RID Bludgeon
This is a yellow and teal redeco of G2 Hero Megatron. This is one of G2's more solid toys overall and it fits in nicely with a lot of the classics aesthetic, though he looks more like a 'yellow Megatron' than a Bludgeon image. The toy I got today has no problem with its hose, but there are a large number of this figure with hoses that are too short or stiff to work the accordion of death right.

Allspark Power Jetstorm
This is a gray and blue redeco of Cybertron Jetfire as a Decepticon. I think it may supposedly homage the BM character, but that doesn't really quite work. Jetfire was one of those toys that was liked or reviled, largely thanks to the very open body due to its transformation. Jetstorm doesn't really improve on anything.. he's just a big-ass Decepticon jet. That's honestly why I wanted him...

Generations Scourge
I should probably write more in depth on this guy, since he's new, but I can't bring myself to go into detail. Scourge's robot mode is actually pretty nice and homages the G1 figure and character quite well, right down to the pink fingernails. The vehicle mode is maybe better than the Flying Soapdish from Hell, but the flying wing isn't decoed heavily and winds up looking very bland. The absolute weirdest part, however, is that they made a very Fracas-looking gun with its own transformation (for storage) and many parts.. but didn't see fit to actually make him Fracas. I'm not wrapping my head around that one. Ah well, nice if you need to have him with your Galvatron and Cyclonus, and a very good robot mode, but it feels a little lacking in other ways. It's not the monument of goodness that was Cyclonus, definitely.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

Snagged me the new Dark of the Moon 3D Preview pack at one of the local Super Wal*Marts while I was out and about. I was a touch surprised they had them out already considering the case says on it in nice, easy to read letters "Do Not Sell Before 3/15/11" on it. The pack consists of the new Cyberverse Optimus Prime and a set of 3D glasses for the new content on Transformers.com.

Vehicle Mode: Prime turns into, well, a truck. He has all the things of Movie Prime is expected to have, as well as a big chunk of jet engine kibble on the back, the remains of Jetfire. The directions say to point the wings up, but it looks dumb and the package art says point them down, which looks a lot nicer and steadies the kibble as it's held onto a peg by a clip. The same clip that the corpse backpack...I mean jetpack ends up attaching to his back in robot mode. Also the jet kibble has a pair of guns on the top that I'll get to in a moment. I'll also mention it looks like he's got a hole on his roof that'll accommodate a mechtech weapon. I've stuck a few standard hand weapons into the hole, so if the mechtech pegs are the same size they'll fit.

Robot Mode: After a surprisingly complex transformation (but still not terribly hard) you end up with a pretty buff looking prime. His arms and legs are a tad thin for the bulky chest he has, but overall he's a nice sized figure. He stands about half a head shorter then Breacher, he just lacks the Scout's bulk. Again the backpack is optional and he looks pretty good with or without it. Another interesting thing is that the paired guns from the kibble are attached by pegs...pegs that he can fit in his open sculpted hands and give him his cannons from the movie. He has ball jointed shoulders and hips, knee and elbow pivots, and no head articulation, but that's a relatively small price to pay.

Few final thoughts:

I'd say he's just shy of Scout in terms of size class, and he's supposed to be one of the new Cyberverse "Commander" sized figures. This gives me some hope for some of the new figures coming out in the near future, such as the "Commander" sized Powerglide.

Also the addition of handheld weapons to a figure of this size, at least of this size, is as far as I know a first. They aren't the massive blocky energon weapons. They are scaled to fit only figures of his size and are more reminiscent of the old hand weapons given to the G1 figures.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

After having reservations, I got RTS G2 Laser Optimus Prime and RTS Legends G1 Megatron, probably the only Megatron that could portray the original Megatron accurately that I could realistically get.
Destruction is my specialty
Rookwise
Protoform

Post by Rookwise »

Got a Generations Thundercracker yesterday to go with the classics Skywarp I randomaly won on ebay.
The Reverend

Post by The Reverend »

G1 Meltdown & Halftrack (micromaster combiner). Sure, they're as limited as micromasters tend to be, but they're quite nice for the size, and they go well with Trypticon...
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

After a long, roundabout trip(nice field test for my car which just got put back together), I came home with the following:

TRU Exclusive Animated Ironhide - Cybertronian mode
RTS Jazz
RTS Perceptor
RTS G2 Optimus Prime

Ironhide: It's a great figure, though I do wish he was a bit heavier. He topples over kind of easily. That being said, it's the only thing that's wrong with him. And since I got Lockdown a while ago, I can actually arm him with something besides shock paddles. I just wish they'd had Roddy, as well.

Jazz: I really like him. It'd be nice if the chest would lock, but I've got him standing there with the speakers deployed on his doors. His expression isn't exactly Jazz-like, though. He's frowning. And the light piping gimmick isn't the greatest, either.

G2 Prime: A figure I wasn't too sure about, really. But I'm glad I got him. The light piping makes lines in his head light up, and I don't know if it was intentional or not, but it looks like they ran the piping material through the shoulders. It looks pretty nice.

Perceptor: If I'd known he was going to be this bad, I would have gotten Tracks instead. I had to partially take him apart to finish transfomring his arms, and his legs are pretty wobbly. He looks good, but that's about it.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I also got Perceptor and G2 Prime today, along with WfC Megatron (finally).

As a toy, Prime is pretty cool. He's got great articulation, which allows for a lot more swordplay than some other recent melee-equipped Transformers. Unfortunately, there are a few negatives in play as well. The first one is that he's just plain ugly -- the colour scheme always put me off of tracking down the original Laser Prime, and it doesn't work any better on a smaller figure. The other problem is that he's absurdly tiny. Even compared to other Deluxe-class Optimus toys he's a runt. He compares fairly well to the G2-style Megatron we got in the Classics line, but anyone else...well, when Bumblebee and Hound are bigger than Optimus there's something not quite right. I think I'd like the toy better if it was someone else.

Perceptor is pretty awful, like Heinrad says. His backpack pops off whenever I try to move his arms, and transforming him back into vehicle mode is an ordeal of cursing, parts not aligning properly and me wanting to toss him into a garbage disposal. He looks the part very well, and in robot mode he makes a great Perceptor, but if anything that just rubs salt in the wound. I agree with Hein -- if I'd known what I was buying, I would have bought one of the many other Deluxes I'd looked at instead.

WFC Megatron is the best of the bunch. I've wanted him since he came out, but never got around to buying him when he was available. He disappeared from the shelves after Christmas and I'd resigned myself to never getting one. But when I hit TRU today to check out their big 40% off Deluxes (and 25% off everything else) sale I was delighted to see that they'd broken out a few cases of old stock to clear out at the sale price.

Megatron is a brilliant figure, absolutely brilliant. He looks gorgeous, between his bulky, angular Movie Megatron-style proportions, G1-inspired colour scheme and absolutely gigantic fusion cannon. He looks like a harbinger of death, something that's helped by the fact that he's big enough to pose alongside Voyagers and still look menacing. I've had a few G1-flavoured Megatrons over the years, and this is the first one since the big G2 tank that actually feels like it deserves to stand front and centre among my Decepticons. His alt-mode is a generic box with tracks and a gun slapped on, but even that's not enough to dampen my enthusiasm for the guy.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

Warcry wrote:Perceptor is pretty awful, like Heinrad says. His backpack pops off whenever I try to move his arms,
I've mentioned this in my review, you need to keep pressing and squeezing to find another spot to secure the backpack. I can't tell where but when I got it, it will be more secure even though may still pop off after several arm movement, but at least slightly better. This is sad. I just always have another two fingers holding the chest and backpack while moving the arms.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

I find the same thing. There are two little peg-and-socket combinations in the backpack, and you need to get both of them to pop into place for Perceptor to stay in one piece. Unfortunately, even then you need to be careful. I find that if I only rotate his arms forward (starting with them by his sides) he'll stay together. But as soon as I try to move them in the other direction he falls apart again. I think he's pretty much going to be relegated to standing there and looking Perceptory for the foreseeable future, but if nothing else he's really good at that.

I managed to find a Windcharger today while I was out grocery shopping at Walmart. He's another great little Scout car, up there with Hubcap and Brakedown. Scouts in general have been so nice lately that I wouldn't mind at all seeing a lot more Generations-style figures released at this price point going forward, instead of defaulting to Deluxe like they have for the last while.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

A lot of the scouts look really nice lately, but I really balk at the price tag they've taken on. They're only a dollar or two less than a deluxe anymore, and that just doesn't seem worth it to me. Not that Hasbro should increase the deluxes, of course. I want cheaper scouts. Like in the good old days. :)
numbat

Post by numbat »

I picked up ROTF Leader Jetfire today, radomly. They were selling them for £17.99 at Tesco in Lockerbie.

I thought, hey, gotta be worth £17.99. After all, I have always loved Blackbirds, and really liked the character, and I know the figure doesn't look the best, and gets mixed reviews (but I really enjoy ROTF Leader Megatron, so the figure doesn't have to be ace, just fun!), but a Leader at only a couple quid more than a Deluxe costs nowadays can't be bad...

I'm not entirely convinced yet.

For one thing, that transformation is horrendous! And not even for a good alt mode! Sure, it's huge, and I can live with the robot hanging underneath, but it really struggles to hold together (unless I'm missing something) - mine looks like it's bacl is buckled!

Jings-oh!

I'm tempted to write a review to explain how perfectly disasterous this guy is!

Ach well. At least I have all the Movieverse onscreen Autobots to date now (bar the Arcees, but they really totally and utterly suck IMHO).

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Thunderwave
Protoform

Post by Thunderwave »

numbat wrote: For one thing, that transformation is horrendous! And not even for a good alt mode! Sure, it's huge, and I can live with the robot hanging underneath, but it really struggles to hold together (unless I'm missing something) - mine looks like it's bacl is buckled!

Jings-oh!

I'm tempted to write a review to explain how perfectly disasterous this guy is!

Ach well. At least I have all the Movieverse onscreen Autobots to date now (bar the Arcees, but they really totally and utterly suck IMHO).
I've got the three bike girls. They suck and their transformation is overly complex (see a pattern here?). I only got them because we where promised a combined form. They lied and I'm annoyed now by the nasty pink they used for Arcee.

As for Jetfire, I've heard bad things about him. How his alt mode is a nightmare of little locking panels and how everything has t obe lined up juuuuuust right to get it to work.

As for my own acquisitions, while not toys I found several of the Titan Books G1 Marvel reprint books at a discount reseller. Snagged All Fall Down, End of the Road, Matrix Quest, Fallen Angel, Target: 2006. These are an ace find, as they let me share some of the old Marvel stories that shaped how I view Transformers with my son.

I also found a copy of the Allspark Almanac at the local comic shop.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

numbat wrote:I picked up ROTF Leader Jetfire today, radomly. They were selling them for £17.99 at Tesco in Lockerbie.
IMO, Jetfire is a waste of money and space if you don't have leader Prime to combine with. But if you have Prime, combining them is a sweet deal, just don't use the official one. Be sure to use the feet style Clay mentioned.

Couldn't find anything here and didn't bu anything as well. Only pre-ordered Generation Wheeljack, Thundercracker, and Warpath set from BBTS.
glazios

Post by glazios »

United Tracks arrived in the post this morning, he's awesome and shiny and stuff like Tracks should be - definately worth importing over picking up the Hasbro release, the United paintjob on this figure is AWESOME. That, and I wouldn't give Forbidden Planet my business if they paid me.

Also, Generations Blurr arrived on Saturday, sweet figure, but I really got him for his sniper rifle, which I gave straight to Perceptor, who is now staring down the sniperscope from the edge of my Classics shelf, waiting patiently for something to shoot.

Waiting now for United Wreck-Gar to get here, should arrive by the end of the week, and for the lot of the three Animated Dinobots I won on the bay of e over the weekend to be dispatched; UK seller, so they should get here pretty quickly.

Parents will pitch a fit when they find out about all these lovely little purchases, as I'm supposed to be moving out in a few weeks... *sigh* the joys of living at home...
numbat

Post by numbat »

glazios wrote:That, and I wouldn't give Forbidden Planet my business if they paid me.
If it's helpful, if you're after any Hasbro releases, Tesco had the Tracks wave in Lockerbie. If they're in Lockerbie, they must be in every other Tesco in the UK.

Cheaper than FP by a quid or two.

I've not tried combining Jetfire with Prime yet. The transformation to jet has killed me. I was doing a dawn bird survey today up a random remote hill, so was up at 3am... Knackered, and that Jetfire's transformation was worse than I had thought possible. Seriously, I wouldn't mind the robot hanging off the bottom for the cool detailed upper, and combination with Prime. But why did they have to make it so complex and pernickity? Just seems pointless.

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
glazios

Post by glazios »

numbat wrote:If it's helpful, if you're after any Hasbro releases, Tesco had the Tracks wave in Lockerbie. If they're in Lockerbie, they must be in every other Tesco in the UK.

Cheaper than FP by a quid or two.
Eh, thanks for the tip, 'Bat. Still looking for Lugnut, so I'll at least take a look in my local ASDA when I head up there on Friday. I'll snag Luggy, and Kup too, if they have either of them.

Also looking for Jazz, saw him at FP the other day, but decided I'll go with the United release, for the better paintjob. I already have a spot cleared for him on the shelf... and yes, I know, that's very, deeply sad... :lol:
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

glazios wrote:I already have a spot cleared for him on the shelf... and yes, I know, that's very, deeply sad... :lol:
But United Jazz IS very deeply, deeply awesome. :D
Wreck and Rule!
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Universe Springer
I picked this guy up in a trade to fill a hole in my classics collection. I've had the toy before (it was one that had to go during our move last year), so it wasn't a big deal or a major surprise for me. It's a green/grey redeco of the Cybertron Evac toy and is actually pretty nicely done overall. It doesn't perfectly envoke Springer, but it does it a lot better than the BotCon toy had managed.

Helicopter mode has the usual spinning blades gimmick and twin missiles that fire when you insert the Autobot cyberkey. The green is the dominant color here broken up by grey trim. The downside, visibly, is the broken up area between the canopy and tail assembly that's needed for transformation. It's not a huge deal but it does a lot to scream 'this is really a transformer'. Otherwise, it's a large Autobot helicopter, nothing more and nothing less.

Robot mode turns the colors around a bit, with the grey now being dominant with green being the highlight color. Bits of yellow are placed here and there to provide more of a 'Springer' look. The robot mode looks pretty good and has all the usual and expected bits of articulation, though the helicopter-blade pack on the left arm dramatically hampers its movement. The missile-pack now folds up into a well-done backpack for deployment. A nice design here without too many frills to muck it up. Again, this isn't a perfect match for "Springer", but it works well enough and looks good on the Classics shelf.

Springer was an exclusive to Target and was sold with Ratbat (a redeco Cybertron Crosswise). As such he's a little hard to come by, though isn't a crazy-high demand set like Ultra Magnus and Skywarp. It's a good deal if you need a Springer, but otherwise probably not quite worth going out of your way for.
glazios

Post by glazios »

glazios wrote: Waiting now for United Wreck-Gar to get here, should arrive by the end of the week, and for the lot of the three Animated Dinobots I won on the bay of e over the weekend to be dispatched; UK seller, so they should get here pretty quickly.
Aaaand they all arrived this morning! :clap:

United Wreck-Gar is fantastic, the metallic colour scheme is a damn-sight better than the Generations one, it feels more like Wreck-Gar. He's now sat on my Classics shelf along with the rest of the S3 cast members, waving his axe around and screaming pop-culture battlecries from the back of his motorcycle. I am a bit worried by the whole 'Autobot Beautification Campaigner' thing the instructions lump him with, though... WTF is that supposed to mean, and what's wrong with plain old 'Junkion Leader'? o_O;

As for the Animated Dinobots... they're getting reaquainted with my Samurai Prowl. I don't have Bulkhead, but now that I have most of that small group of the Animated cast, I'm seriously thinking about hunting one down. Will probably find the Leader-class one, for scale's sake. Will start painting up Slag's club this afternoon, as it looks a bit garrish, being all bright neon orange and stuff... might fix the gimick on Swoop's mace, too.

All-in-all, a great bunch of figures, and frankly, an awesome start to the day! ^_^