Prince William getting married!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Cliffjumper wrote:I dunno, they reckon it's going to bring a bit of money to the eceonomy, so maybe it'll be good financially. Beyond the possibility of public funding, though, I'm not sure how this is different from any other celebrity wedding. Aside from the possibility that we'll get a day off out of it.
Hmmm. The 'royals bring lots of tourism money' argument gets mentioned in any debate about them doesn't it? I'd be interested in seeing some figures to back it up though. It cost us 37 mil last year to finance them - I'd be reasonably surprised if the tourism money they bring in exceeds that to be honest.

But yeah, other than that you're right - it's no different really.
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Perhaps we should just cut out the middle man this time and give any money raised by the wedding to the Irish straight away?
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

It's not public money. It's their country, therefore it's their money. It's got his nan's face on it and everything - branded, like cattle.
inflatable dalek

Halfshell wrote:It's not public money. It's their country, therefore it's their money. It's got his nan's face on it and everything - branded, like cattle.
There was a good point made on Have I Got News For You this week that it'll be the only stag do in history where the groom sticks pictures of his gran in the lap dancer's bra.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Till the other one gets married, anyway.
Sixswitch wrote:Hmmm. The 'royals bring lots of tourism money' argument gets mentioned in any debate about them doesn't it? I'd be interested in seeing some figures to back it up though. It cost us 37 mil last year to finance them - I'd be reasonably surprised if the tourism money they bring in exceeds that to be honest.
It'd be difficult to gauge exactly how much money they bring in - the tourist board use them to push the "Quaint Olde England" angle, so tourists attracted
to the country for this reason probably count, even if they don't go to Windsor castle or whatever.
inflatable dalek

It's hard to judge because there's little clue as to how much the palaces and a lot of the pomp (changing of the guard ect) and so on would bring in by themselves without the royals. Does the Louvre get less tourists than Bucks Palace?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

"This is the changing of the guard. They used to protect against them until we had a referendum six months ago and did whatever it is people are actually planning to do with them if we get rid, most likely move them to an ever-so-slightly smaller house on ever so slightly less money. So basically this ceremony has no reason to be here apart from shilling rubes like you with your cameras, baseball caps and lovely money."

If the Royals had, I dunno, been shot by Communists 90 years ago or whatever, it'd work. But I think if they're just stripped of privileges however you dress it up, it becomes less attractive to tourists if the family are still alive and fine but just not the Royal Family anymore.

It'd be great if they cost less, for sure, but I certainly think there are bigger drains on the country's resources. It's also nice to just have a non-political figurehead to the country, however nominal.
inflatable dalek

I don't know, does the history of the guards actually matter that much to most tourists? Or is it just something cool to look at?. A lot of countries have similarly archaic rituals for the tourist doller (and I'd say even with the Royals the guards aren't really doing it for any other reason. My father actually did that at one point, apparently the enjoy getting to do something that gets instant public appreciation and has a more fun element to it that traditional soldier work). Plus, with the royals gone you'd be able to fully open up the palaces, there's got to be a lot of interesting stuff that the public never see.

Mind, there's a little bit of devil's advocate here. I do think the Queen is actually excellent at doing what she does (mainly by keeping her mouth shut, the big thing her children struggle with) and is a good ambassador for Britain. I think if anything's going to undo the monarchy it's going to be Charles kingship. Regardless of the fact a lot of idiots who think Diana pissed gold consider him Evil he enjoys sprouting off to much. He wants to be a different sort of King (even saying so with pretty much those words) and I don't think that's what the public, and certainly not the government, want. I think he'd actually have been much happier spending his life as a postman, now heading into retirement with an allotment to potter about in.

I don't actually mind Charlie so much, he's a lot smarter than often given credit (and was banging on about stuff like GM food years before anyone else) and certainly wasn't any worse than Diana in his hypocrisy during the marriage, I just don't think he'll be any good as a figurehead. Though if he's really getting on when EII goes perhaps simply letting William succeed would be the best bet?
Till the other one gets married, anyway.
[slanderous]Why would he stick photos of James Hewitt's mum in a lapdancer's bra?[/slanderous]
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

That's libel, B.L.O.H. Slander would be if you say your posts out loud as you're typing them.

I don't think the history matters so much as just the notion of the history... Like I say, if the Royal Family have been wiped out however a hundred years ago, the interest would be undimmed. If the country just decides to have its' cake and eat it too (get rid of the royals, but keep the tourists coming in) I think it'd lose a lot of lustre. People buy the illusion that these things are actually for something because there's a Royal Family. It's sort-of live history, rather than a bunch of drilled actors like that abysmal London Dungeon thing.
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:That's libel, B.L.O.H. Slander would be if you say your posts out loud as you're typing them.
Awww crap, I'm libellous and slanderous all at the same time. Lets hope Philip doesn't arrange a car crash for me.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I'm gonna have to say, I love the Queen. The whole tourism thing probably doesn't really turn much of a profit, but its nice to have the mindset and the patriotism of the country in the form of a person (and not a fictional one like Uncle Sam). God save and all that.
inflatable dalek wrote:Lets hope Philip doesn't arrange a car crash for me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoZ71sj3Kn0
I like bears.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Heh, hadn't seen that one, good stuff. "Everyone will have forgotten her by next week".
Sades

Post by Sades »

I don't mind the Queen. Not a huge fan of Charles however... unsure why. I'm just used to having this one's face on my money, I think. [/frivolous]

video= :up:
Hound

Post by Hound »

People don't like Charles because he cheated on Diana. I'm pretty sure it's as simple as that.

From what I've been able to glean from the few interviews and articles I've read he's a nice fellow who does a lot of good things. With the monarchy in it's current capacity I'm not sure what harm he could possibly be as king.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I think I just like old people. Old people, and babies. I want to hug them all.

Unless they're cranky. Or creepy.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hound wrote:People don't like Charles because he cheated on Diana. I'm pretty sure it's as simple as that.

From what I've been able to glean from the few interviews and articles I've read he's a nice fellow who does a lot of good things. With the monarchy in it's current capacity I'm not sure what harm he could possibly be as king.
Thing is, being a nice fellow who does a lot of good things is sort-of default for someone from the Royal family. Most people don't have much of a problem with the Diana thing, as it was basically fair play. No, most people's dislikes come from the fact he's got basically the same personality as his dad, meaning he seems to pick fights just about everywhere. Now, Phil the Greek's cool because he's Lizzie's mad husband and they've got that Richard & Judy thing going on, but I wouldn't want him on the throne.

What you want from a monarch is someone with dignity who behaves themselves and knows when to keep their mouth shut. Charles isn't that man.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Cliffjumper wrote:What you want from a monarch is someone with dignity who behaves themselves and knows when to keep their mouth shut. Charles isn't that man.
Now I'm gonna preface this by saying that I've only just recently taken any real interest in the current royal family and I'm sure there's plenty of things that Charles has said that I'm completely unaware of but, from the interviews and such I've been able to find, what Charles is passionate and outspoken about surely isn't that bad a subject to be passionate and outspoken about. Especially when you're in a position to be heard like he is.

If he's picking fights, maybe they're the right fights to pick.

From what I understand he's got to give all that up when he's king anyway but maybe he shouldn't have to.
inflatable dalek

Except the King/Queen isn't supposed to be outspoken. On anything, even if it's in a good way. That's a major part of the job, they're apolitical. There's a clear seperation of Crown and government that's vital to how this country is run. If he were to carry on as he is (doing things like getting a major building project on the Thames scuppered through his connections as he didn't like the architectural style) you'll wind up with problems.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sometimes he speaks out about bad things, for sure (his public statement against Mugabe after the shit basically cornered him into a handshake was awesome), but he also says a lot of things that sound like a wittering old grand-dad. He's got a chip in his shoulder about the way the media lionised Diana, that's for sure.

As I've said, it's not a big problem because Elizabeth seems determined to outlive him at least. It would not surprise me if she dies the day after him... The bottom line is probably that not a lot of people in the country respect him, which would greatly weaken the monarchy.

He's also a Burnley fan. Which isn't good.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I think my problem with Charles is that he seems to old to become king. Liz was a beautiful young princess who aged into dear old queenie. I can't imagine some old fart just plonking his arse down on the throne. It ought to skip Charles and go straight to William.
I like bears.