Cat help

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

He wandered back right after I wrote that. Cackling. I wouldn't be so bothered if they were my cats but I feel the weight of responsibility, oh yes.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron
Protoform

Post by dEcEpTiCoN MEGAtron »

DrSpengler wrote:Thanks for the advice.

I powdered the pill and worked it into a small glob of catfood patte.
Aren't most antibiotics in liquid form now?
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Sophie got worse really quickly. Took her in and out of the vet the last two days and had to put her down last night.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Condolences, mate.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

:(
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

This is only the scond time I've ever had to put down a pet (had to let my 15 year-old dog go back in 08). Never gets any easier.

But at least with Zoe (the dog), we knew it was coming because she had been decaying with age over the last two years of her life.

Sophie was perfectly normal a month ago and then all of a sudden BAM! all these problems came to a head and there was nothing we could do and before we knew it, it was time to say good bye.

That was the worst of it.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Bummer.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Neo just died. She'd become anemic, and despite the drugs they gave me to get her stabilized and over it, she died. While I was at work. A friend of mine was keeping an eye on her and she started to stir, getting all annoyed sounding, yowling and lashing her tail. Then she took two deep breaths and she was gone.

She was mom's cat. Now she's with mom.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

:(
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Heinrad wrote:Neo just died. She'd become anemic, and despite the drugs they gave me to get her stabilized and over it, she died. While I was at work. A friend of mine was keeping an eye on her and she started to stir, getting all annoyed sounding, yowling and lashing her tail. Then she took two deep breaths and she was gone.

She was mom's cat. Now she's with mom.
Wow, that sounds a lot like what happened to Sophie.

Her intestinel tumor was reducing her appetite and the shot of steroids and appetite pills the vet gave her weren't improving. Eventually, she just lost all energy, walked down the hallway, fell over and started whimpering in absolute pain. We had to take her to the late night emergency vet to be put down because she was suffering so much.

I'm sorry for your loss. I know how much it really hurts.
inflatable dalek

I'm slightly worried about the oldest cat I'm looking after, she had a funny turn in the week where she refused to come in for two days (I wound up taking her food out to her, trying to pick her up to bring her in resulted in some lovely big scratches on my arm and her doing a runner). I eventually managed to coax her in with food and she's friendly again now, but she's also not moving from one spot in the bedroom except to eat and shit. She is sat upon a jumper belonging to her owner so I'm just hoping she's missing her rather than it being extreme old age catching up with her.

And upon popping back home to do my washing my own cat clearly doesn't like the smell of other pussies on me as she keeps attacking me and hissing.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Heh heh, pussies.
Destruction is my specialty
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

HeavyArms wrote:Heh heh, pussies.
Heh heh, twat.

@ Dalek: Cats can often be very, very weird when other people are looking after them - and often delayed, too. Sar's sister moved in for a few days to look after ours when we were away somewhere. The thing was fine the first day or so until it clicked that we were away, at which point she started acting up and being pretty mean to the sister.
inflatable dalek

That's good to know, these little blighters are the first thing in ages other than work to head me towards a nervous breakdown. One of the kittens got out this mourning, cue Benny Hill style high jinks chasing her about outside.

I'd actually be tempted to just let them go out with the big cats as they're so keen and have to be about the right age, but it's not my decision to make and whilst they can get out the window easily enough by climbing the fire I don't think they'd be able to get back in.

I've become a cat bore.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Yeah, the first day or so is basically "ah, so you're filling in for the domestic staff whilst they pull a sickie, are you? Well that's fine, I'll be asleep on your shoe, feel free to bring me food every three minutes in case I want it."

But that can quickly give way to an incredibly hostile sense of suspicion as they worry that the regular support team have abandoned them to this crazy stranger who just doesn't understand the routine, whilst the agency won't answer the phone and send one who speaks English dammit.

Think of a kid who suddenly develops abandonment issues because its parents have gone away without explaining that this foreign babysitter is only temporary.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Sorry to hear about the kitties. :(

I'm not looking forward to my cat getting old. She's fairly old now, but she doesn't act it. Not yet. But I still worry.