Last Stand of the Wreckers #1 Preview

Post by Hennessy »

5 page preview

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

comicbookresources
Bluecatcinema
Protoform

Post by Bluecatcinema »

Well, Overlord's won me over. Never before have I witnessed such badassery!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

I was perfectly content steering clear from the title after AHM #12, but this seems to be approaching something that's genuinely decent. Looks like it's going to be fun. Plus, I'm a sucker for tales involving obscure characters.

So much for Skyquake, though, and Fortress Maximus never seems to get a break.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I'm applying similar rules to the "No Homers" club in that episode of The Simpsons in order to reconcile me buying the trade of this with my ditching the rest of IDW's stuff like a rancid turd.

Though any purchase will be dependent on it being standalone, but based on how the ongoing and Bumblebee seem to be merrily ignoring each other that may not be a problem.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Housewife2000
Protoform

Post by Housewife2000 »

Overlord as Caligula? Kick ass.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Something's gone wrong with the links here, because I'm seeing something different to the rest of you. What I'm reading's got another designated hardcore Decepticon more interested in battering subordinates than Autobots (yawn, show not tell), another big name character who's going to be let off dying no doubt and a few more mixed in as obvious cannonfodder (will Fearswoop survive?!?!?!?!? Was the red one Fearswoop? Does it even matter?). Sure, the plot seems to be "There are some Decepticons ****ing stuff up, whip out the Wreckers", which is a big advance on "There are some Decepticons planning to **** stuff up, but here's a government agency with a name like The Organisation staffed by guys in suits and shades, because obviously that's how secret government organisations dress", but I'm still not seeing anything that's actually good here.
Never before have I witnessed such badassery!
Jesus Christ. It's Animated in comic form...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:but I'm still not seeing anything that's actually good here.
WelikeNickRocheWelikeNickRocheWelikeNickRocheWelikeNickRoche.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

I'm so out of touch I only recognise Fortress Maximus in the whole thing, this Overlord guy, apart from the reaction from Skyquake and the others when he arrives, which is amusing, is appearing as your generic bad guy/psychopath/comedy guy that's been seen in thousands of medias.

He's basically Hans Gruber, but without any of the style. Still i do love the Wreckers, Tailgate should so be a wrecker....
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Yay! Signed copies at Forbidden Planet in Dublin! Thats my Local!

Also: less Hans Gruber, more sherif of nottingham.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

as long as its not Lieutenant Gruber his tanks not so little though
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Wildrider wrote:He's basically Hans Gruber, but without any of the style.
I'm still massively proud of my BW Megatron/Hans Gruber analogy from the 25 Greatest Moments article.

I've not read the preview as I don't want to be spoilered on any level. Considering that this is the last IDW stuff I'm likely to ever buy, I want to get the most enjoyment possible from it.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Halfshell wrote: I've not read the preview as I don't want to be spoilered on any level.
I should say I'm doing the same and that my general enthusiasm comes from it being from the one safe pair of hands IDW have left.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Saw the first three pages before my download went all haywire. From what I've seen, this is good. Overlord, Skyquake, Kick-Off, the Predators... shame that Skyquake gets offed so early.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

In fairness to overlord, theres only so many ways to write a "bad" guy and while its nice to see greyness in characters, I've always liked a full on bad guy. I quite like the way he's only into the chaos and violence of conquest - somewhat less the spoils. Its a type we havent seen really in IDWs run.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Blackjack wrote: From what I've seen, this is good. Overlord, Skyquake, Kick-Off, the Predators... shame that Skyquake gets offed so early.
Are those related statements, or is how obscure the toys your generics are based on genuinely seen as a mark of quality? If it's 2003 again someone tell me, I can make a ****ing fortune gambling as I can remember a fair bit of the six years since.

Re: Overlord being hilariously generic, as said it is a big improvement on the 'puppetmaster' crap that's been shovelled out over the past few years, and the few scant pages do seem refreshingly unpretentious and self-aware, which is obviously a quantum improvement on everything else IDW have done. All I'm saying is it's going to need more than a quantum improvement on everything else IDW have done to actually be any good, and those few pages aren't.

What exactly is so 'badass' about Overlord from those few pages? He Megatrons a fellow Decepticon and takes out some people who might as well be generics before not killing Fortress Maximus. Ooooh. It's like cocking (Marvel) Thunderwing all over again.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Mmm. A cipher that's based on an existing toy is arguably more worthwhile than one who's just been invented and doesn't get a name (and has more integrity than a random Gobot that's been thrown in for the lulz factor), but it's still a cipher.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

On the plus side, Overlord chucking his generic Decepticon bad-assery around and dissing Megs could get interesting, especially as he doesn't care a fig about the plans already in motion. It's also worth considering the option for a 'ohh, another 'Con faction breakaway/mash-up to be continued'.

I do hope this doesn't end up being just another standard showdown (with Wreckers).

(And, Cliffy, I also experienced that Marvel Thunderwing moment...)
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

For those of us who havent read marvel thunderwing, I can say that Overlord is something different. I kinda hope roche goes batshit insane with him on the bebasement side of things! Would be fun to have a decepticon who is just evil cause its fun. Havent had that yet.

And yeah, the magnus not-death is a bit of a get-out. Unless the cons in the pit go too far...
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

I interpreted it as Overlord fully expecting them to rip Fort Max apart, and he was just being a sardonic bast. Hopefully that's how it will turn out.