Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
zigzagger

Transformers: Continuum 6-Page Preview

Post by zigzagger »

6-page preview for Transformers: Continuum has been posted @ bzzurkk.com

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

At least we're getting IDW art in this preview book...

Whilst I like the idea of Megatron: Origin as told from an unreliable point-of-view, the idea that no records exist of Prime's rise to leadership is pretty daft.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

The narrative kind of reads like something from one of those old Ladybird (etc) books.
Originally Posted by Denyer Image
Whilst I like the idea of Megatron: Origin as told from an unreliable point-of-view, the idea that no records exist of Prime's rise to leadership is pretty daft.
It is, isn't it. Then again, the details are vague overall. I understand its summarizing key points, but I seem to recall what caused Thunderwing to go on a rampage, as well as his second coming, wasn't a "mystery".
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Being vague over stuff they haven't covered yet is fairly sensible (compare to the 8th issue of More Than Meets the Eye), though if its meant to bring new readers up to speed it's probably a bit confusing to have various things presented as if they're major teasing mysteries when they're probably not meant to be.

To be honest, they'd probably have been better dropping Origin from it entirely, even this tokenistic effort feels like a half arsed attempt to save some face rather than ditching like the rancid turd it is. Unreliable narrative stories only work if A: They were intended that way and B: If the unreliable narrative isn't complete shit.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »

zigzagger wrote:The narrative kind of reads like something from one of those old Ladybird (etc) books.

It is, isn't it. Then again, the details are vague overall. I understand its summarizing key points, but I seem to recall what caused Thunderwing to go on a rampage, as well as his second coming, wasn't a "mystery".
It's just a five page preview. It's likely reference on the next page.
Starfield
Protoform

Post by Starfield »

Is this written in-universe? What I mean is, is the narrator/historian a character in the story? It sounds like it. "Records from before the Great War are scattered and incomplete."

So if it is in-universe, the historian doesn't know for sure what Thunderwing's motivations were, but we do since we read Stormbringer.

Am I reading that right? I have no idea why they thought it would be helpful to write it as "it may have happened this way".
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

So... any chance of this resolving every single continuity problem in IDW? I doubt it. Still, at least they gave it an effort...
inflatable dalek

It seems it's going to resolve the continuity issues by going "Well, who knows what really happened? This is just a rumour sailors in bars told me" every other paragraph.

However, if this means the ongoing gets to start off prior-story-reference free I'm all for it.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

Being vague when you're brining new readers up to speed isnt the best thing I could think off but at least a line is being drawn. I suppose the vague approach is so that they dont have to acknowledge all of what happened, just what fits.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Full of meh and huh.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I read Megatron Origin and All Hail Megatron and ain't entirely sure what the ****'s going on anyway... and this is a book that's meant to explain it to people who didn't? By going "who knows"?

Wow. IDW just cemented my decision not to buy the ongoing.

How do you retcon M:O as Unreliable Narrator when it didn't have a narrator? Why does Gunn's sister call him Gunn?
inflatable dalek

What is it they're charging for this again? In a sane world if it's nothing but old art it should be cheaper than a regular issue. I suspect not though.
Red Dave Prime

Post by Red Dave Prime »

I dont think I'll ever know exactly what happened in the Megs v Sentinal Prime fight. Heck, I'm still not sure if Sentinal Prime was killed in that battle. I mean, if he was, wouldnt megatron have taken the matrix as a trophy at least? Oh wait, there was no matrix. But... All hail Megatron... Matrix...

Bugger.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Sixth page up @ comicscontinuum.com

----

While I stand corrected (though the Nebulos bit isn't quite accurate), I'm still not all that impressed with the narration.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Oh, they are probably doing something with Ore 13 after ignoring it in AHM then...
inflatable dalek wrote:What is it they're charging for this again? In a sane world if it's nothing but old art it should be cheaper than a regular issue. I suspect not though.
Same with Focus On Decepticons -- it needed to be cheap, plentiful, and aimed at new readers. Otherwise the only market is completists who'll then (justifiably) complain at total rehash.
inflatable dalek

zigzagger wrote:While I stand corrected (though the Nebulos bit isn't quite accurate)
That's putting it mildly. Obviously the extra sentence "Upon Thunderwing returning to Cybertron..." would have ruined the whole format of the book.

The idea Prime came to Eart as a result of finding out about Ore-13 is complete bollocks as well.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

... so events directly experiences by a bunch of dudes who are still running around alive and non-senile are the stuff of legends now? Huh.

EDIT: Holy s***, first review is up.
http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=1100
Worse, unless I am mistaken, there are meaningful errors and omissions. The most glaring error is the continual confusion of Skywatch, and The Machination. Continuum seems to say they are the same organization. Skywatch plays a role in the new Ongoing Transformers series as well, it seems, in the new Bumblebee mini-series. Combining them with The Machination may leave many new readers deeply confused.
HOW DID THIS BOOK HAPPEN?
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
inflatable dalek

But where's the satire?

Christ, Spike's on the front cover?
Neuronutter
Protoform

Post by Neuronutter »

Nevermore wrote:... so events directly experiences by a bunch of dudes who are still running around alive and non-senile are the stuff of legends now? Huh.

EDIT: Holy s***, first review is up.
http://tformers.com/reviews.php?op=showcontent&id=1100
That's a pretty striking review. Sounds like IDW have completely ballsed up an otherwise worthwhile project.