IDW Transformers Ongoing #1 Info Thread | UPDATE: 8 pg preview

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Theres a preview up at comicbookresources http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23587
Lord_Unicron
Protoform

Post by Lord_Unicron »

CounterPunch wrote:Theres a preview up at comicbookresources http://comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=23587
Hi all,

OW I REALLY REALLY like the Art :)

If they keep this up, it would help the IDW-TF-Universe a whole lot :clap:
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

I don't exactly mind the art that much now, seeing the preview pages. Being who I am, though, expect me to bitch about the art. And the faces.

Damn, that Prowl (?) silhouette running away from the humans really look like movie Bumblebee.
SPOILER! (select to read)
So... Ironhide dies. How many issues do you guys think before someone at IDW decides to being Ironhide back? I mean, it's not like anyone outside G2/late-G1/fanmade/plot device characters stays dead for that long.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It looks to me (possibly wrongly) that
SPOILER! (select to read)
the opening is a flashforward which will then lead into the precursor to those events showing not only what started the fight but that Ironhide was really A-OK all along.
This likely means anything but that will happen in the issue.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Knightdramon
Protoform

Post by Knightdramon »

It's not the first three pages, it's towards the end. I really dislike the faces [they are all the same] and tend to view Don as over-OVER hyped, but I do like that Hot Rod is back to his earth mode design.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Heh.

I dropped one of my favourite comics (Astonishing X-Men) when one of my favourite writers (Ellis) got the gig, solely because the art was atrocious.

A comic I've grown to loathe acquires art I hate from an artist who's usually quite good... yeah, definitely going in the file marked "TPB if at all." The last thing IDW needed in my eyes was Don suddenly going DARK AND EDGY. I don't see the point in bringing back a fan favourite artist in a desperate bid to appease people if he's using an entirely new Trying Too Hard style of art.

"Hey, let's get John Williams in to do the score for our new movie. But let's make him do it exclusively as drum and bass. Whoop whoop!"

Another #1 at this stage is in no way going to confuse the casual comic buyers, is it? Especially with "1st Blockbuster Issue" plastered over the cover.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Yeah. The faces look all... weird to me. With the movie-bots they look natural, but meh, with this hybrid-G1 style, it's just so weird. Especially around the mouth area. Everyone looks like they had a mustache of some sort, damn it.

"1st Blockbuster Issue"... meh.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I dont like the artwork one bit, Don is someone I have loved for a long time, his artwork for the DW G1 ongoing was so good, helped by fantastic inks and brilliant colours by Espen G... But this? This is terrible artwork by Don et al.
glazios

Post by glazios »

I'll be blunt: I don't like where this seems to be going, and the art/robolips look is pants.

To me, this screams that IDW are scrambling to recover from the disasterous reboot-in-disguise that was AHM, and I'm not terribly sure this is going to work.

Cashing in on the movie designs is going to confuse and annoy people who got on-board the franchise with Infiltration, which will lead to sales dipping, and IDW will loose the licence.

I volunteer at a comic shop, and I'm getting the impression that a lot of the TF customer base there are unsure about the G1-based stuff after AHM; they're wondering what the hell IDW are playing at, and dearly wishing they'd make up their minds as to which story we're following. First it was Don, then it was Shane McIdiot, and now we're back to Don with a story that's seemingly been cobbled together far too quickly to make any real sense.

At least this new ongoing seems set to follow its predecessor on that point - making no sense right off the bat. I say scrap the lot and get back to the "-ation" formula; at least there we knew which way was up.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Not fussed about the art, but I do think significant robot mode redesigns shouldn't happen without a compelling in-story reason.

It's the polar opposite of the earlier interior preview (not that that's hard; landscape shots, and some characters standing around.) Looks/reads well. And if we'd started in 2005 with this, I'd be champing at the bit -- it's a solid drop-you-in-the-action beginning to a series.

As another entry in a pattern of not being consistent with what's gone before, and following on the heels of a "one in four issues being any good" scorecard for Coda, increasingly botched arcs essentially since the end of Escalation, and "zero of twelve issues being any good" scorecard for the last year of the main title...

It's got a chance in trade.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Incidentally, as I read it, Optimus is quitting in the first issue. If so, how is doing this honouring Ironhide? And why's there such insistence that a galaxy-spanning conflict that's gone on for geological periods could shut off after a few years and some stuff happening off-panel? A similar pitch was made in AHM.
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »

CBR interview with Andy Schmidt
inflatable dalek

Well, Spike sounds like he's going to be winning more cock of the year awards.

I do like how they try and make killing Ironhide sound like this big difficult decision that needed special Hasbro approval. Even if only the TV characters are considered that important that still means we're supposed to have forgotten about Sunstreaker...
Brimstone
Protoform

Post by Brimstone »

Actaully, after reading that interview, I am cautiously optimistic.

I'm digging the sh*t out of the art. And I like the ideas that Schmidt is talking about in that interview.

Plus...GI Joe: Cobra was f-in awesome!

So, like I said, cautiously optimistic. :)
-Tobin Melroy
aka Arek Brimstone

"Can't wait for election day,
Wouldn't miss the occupation corporations rule the day." - Pearl Jam, "Undone"
Dragon Warrior Steve
Protoform

Post by Dragon Warrior Steve »

I can't say I like the art. Though I think that's more likely how alien robots would look like, it's still the original Generation 1. Robots being able to magically move steel and convey emotion makes zero sense, but it helps characterize these guys. I just can't help but look at these characters and see emptiness, I couldn't even tell where Hot Rod's mouth was. The coloring looks rushed as well.
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »

Here's a short review from grahamcrackers
Put your minds at ease!!!! This book is more than meets the eye!.....sorry, I couldn't resist. First, let's tackle the story. WOW! It's rare in a comic that's based on a licensensed property that stuff actually HAPPENS! When's the last time you saw death in a Star Wars comic? Yeah, never. Mike Costa moves the story along at a VERY brisk pace, no talking heads in this one, it's pretty much pure on-the-go action. And that's what we want, right? I don't really think that I need to comment on Don Figueroa's art. It's always been and always will be fantastic. All I know is that this guy was born to draw giant transforming robots. And knowing is half the battle. ROLL OUT!!!

http://www.grahamcrackers.com/products/ ... lusive.htm
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Well that's a reassuring piece of balanced journalism.

I totally withdraw anything I may previously have said or implied.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Mmm, I dunno. Strikes me as being promotional.

Could be wrong, though.
inflatable dalek

What, just because they've got an exclusive cover to push? Shocking suggestion.
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »

zigzagger wrote:Mmm, I dunno. Strikes me as being promotional.

Could be wrong, though.
They do have other reviews; they did one for Doctor Who #1 where they gaved it 6 out of 10. So the TF review is a legit review.