Transformers 3 [spoiler] news/rumours

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
Blaster

Post by Blaster »

Clay wrote:but I don't know of any real evidence to back that up.

Most likely since everything I have seen and heard is that YTV loved the show and are kinda miffed that it was cancelled.
"You’re still a slave, Angron. Enslaved by your past, blind to the future. Too hateful to learn. Too spiteful to prosper."
Clay

Post by Clay »

Blaster wrote:Most likely since everything I have seen and heard is that YTV loved the show and are kinda miffed that it was cancelled.
YTV = Canadian network that licenses Cartoon Network shows, yeah?
praetorian
Protoform

Post by praetorian »

YTV = Canadian network that usually plays cartoons and kids' shows a little longer than American stations. For instance, YTV carried ReBoot into Seasons 3 and 4, while the American stations dropped it either after Season 2 or Season 3. Shadow Raiders/War Planets was another such show. YTV is still running the TF:A episodes to my knowledge, and I do believe it was quite popular.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

From what I've heard, since it was cancelled because of the newfound deal. Hasbro didn't want their property on a competitor's channel, and as the show was produced almost entirely in-house at Cartoon Network... Even if YTV liked it and wanted more, there's little to nothing they could do about it.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

i must admit, even if i didn't like the movies, i still went to see them. just have to view them a few times to see every detail though in its entirety. i hope they pump out something a bit more invigorating since it is the third film. i would hate to see this series done into a made for tv movie, or straight to dvd, like so many other film series: species and mimic to name a few. here's wishing him luck though on something solid. even if i end up hating it in the time it takes for it to come out with details coming i'll still end up seeing it.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Springer007 wrote: i would hate to see this series done into a made for tv movie, or straight to dvd, like so many other film series: species and mimic to name a few.
You, uh... You realise that the first two Transformers films made hundreds of millions in profit and there's literally no chance the next one will go straight to DVD, yeh?
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Summerhayes wrote:Thank God for that. I don't want to be sat around watching TF3 when the world ends.
Why not??? Spoken about a great ending...
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Rattrap's tail wrote:Why not??? Spoken about a great ending...
because i want a full year to argue about the details
Rattrap's tail

Post by Rattrap's tail »

Summerhayes wrote:because i want a full year to argue about the details
And to make sure youre toys will survive it all so that in ten thousand years, when alien archeologists visit our planet find a ROTF Optimus Prime with working batteries(Yay!) they'll see we had some formf intelligence...
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Cliffjumper wrote:You, uh... You realise that the first two Transformers films made hundreds of millions in profit and there's literally no chance the next one will go straight to DVD, yeh?
True. But as did other films as well in other genres and makes, but I am using Disney even as a good example if it is a good comparison for their tactics as well. And that crummy Ace Ventura Jr. movie.. Ugh.... *shivers*

-Space Marines
martyboy70

Post by martyboy70 »

Springer007 wrote:True. But as did other films as well in other genres and makes, but I am using Disney even as a good example if it is a good comparison for their tactics as well. And that crummy Ace Ventura Jr. movie.. Ugh.... *shivers*
Meanwhile back at the Hollywood Studio....

"That 3rd Transformers film we have coming out in a while-what do you reckon we should do for a release strategy when it comes out?"
"Hmmm the first one took over $700 million worldwide in 2007 and was the biggest grossing non sequel of that year.It was the biggest grossing film in Malaysia ever.It and the Simpsons Movie combined for the biggest weekend in UK cinema history.In North America, the film had the highest per-screen and per-theater gross and the preview screenings set a record for Tuesday box office attendance and then it broke Spider-Man 2's record for the biggest July 4 gross.Its opening 7 days kinda rocked giving it the record for the biggest opening week for a non-sequel."
"Uh-huh not bad from a budget of $150 million-any thing else?"
"Those bastards at the academy only gave it 3 Academy Award nominations which helped the DVD sales.The DVDs sold 13.74 million copies, making the film the most popular DVD title of 2007. The DVD sold 8.3 million copies in its first week, making it the fastest-selling DVD of 2007 in North America, and it sold 190,000 copies on HD DVD, which was the biggest debut on the format.
In the first week, the two-disc edition of the Blu-ray was number one in sales compared to other films on the format. The Blu-ray version accounted for two-thirds of DVD sales that first week.
"OK enough already so they dragged a sequel out of us. I guess it bombed? Because we all know sequels never perform as well as the first film in a franchise"
"Revenge of the Fallen grossed $16 million on its midnight premiere-the most ever for a Wednesday midnight debut-The film proceeded to achieve the biggest Wednesday opening in history, bringing in $62 million in total receipts on its first day, additionally ranking it as the second-biggest opening day of all-time.The film grossed $108.9 million on its first weekend, making it the biggest weekend gross of 2009($200 million in its first five days)
Revenge of the Fallen remained #1 at the box office for two weeks straight making it the first film of 2009 to reach the $300 million mark domestically.
By July 20, 2009, less than a month after being released, Revenge of the Fallen had surpassed the all-time earnings of the 2007 Transformers movie. Also, on July 27, a month after its release, the movie reached $379.2 million in the US, which brings it into the top 10 highest-grossing movies ever in that country as of August 2009. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is also the highest-grossing film of all time in China.
As of October 1, 2009, the film is reported to have grossed approximately $401,790,274 in the United States, along with an estimated $430,635,467 from foreign countries that totals up to approximately $832,425,741 worldwide.It is also the first movie to reach the $400 million mark in 2009-all this from a budget of $200 million-not to mention the toys and merchandise sales from both films reckoned to be worth around a $1billion worldwide.
We've pencilled a sequel in for July 2011"
"OK so having listened to all that I think our best bet to guarantee interest and commercial success would be to put it straight to DVD and give it away free on the cover of that months FHM"
"OH FFS"
Springer007 are you clinically braindead?
Loss of job. Will sell for food here.
Selkadoom

Post by Selkadoom »

Rattrap's tail wrote:And to make sure youre toys will survive it all so that in ten thousand years, when alien archeologists visit our planet find a ROTF Optimus Prime with working batteries(Yay!) they'll see we had some form of intelligence...
2 things 1 wouldn't our planet be an asteroid field or space dust. 2 dont think that'd be enough to prove we were a plannet with above average intelegence maybe if devastator survived, that might work.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSN ID: Selkadoom13
Steam: Scruffy.j2
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

at Martyrboy. Nope. Just seen, or heard of way too many trilogies (Jurassic Park, Ace Ventura, Species, Mimic to name a few). And wanting the third installment of Transformers to go well, but wondering secretly how they will piece this together besides Megs escaping and what comes next, which sort of characters they will use for more villians, etc. Heck, even reading mangas where they want to rush the endings and the endings are kinda downers since they built up so much to a climax, then it comes rushing downhill and kinda disappointing. Thus why I am truly amazed why some of the best science fiction movies have never been made (and there is a book called just that too). The only thing going for the franchise is the name. Regardless of how it turns out, like I have stated, I will go see the film. Mainly because it is a family film, and it helps bridge the young uns coming up to the generation who grew up watching the cartoons. I really think these films, including GI Joe, instill better character into children than other types of films that are purely about gruesome dismemberment as the subject material. At least these films are about courage, honor, and fighting the good fight. And then wondering when Megatron will finally decide to just squish humans, like Sam, instead of playing with his food so to speak.

p.s. thanks for bringing up figures, got me hooked on using this nifty site http://www.the-numbers.com/ to sate my curiosity on movie earnings figures, even if the rating system seems a bit off, still interesting to see different films i am thinking of and their gross earnings.

-Space Marines
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The third Jurassic Park film was in cinemas, I know because I saw it in one. Mind, it looks and feels like a straight to video quick cash in so I can see where the confusion comes from.

IIRC the main reason for straight to DVD additions to franchises is that the previous cinema outing did poor boxoffice but it did much better on the home entertainment circuit.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Springer007 wrote:trilogies (...Ace Ventura...)

Whoever decided "trilogy" and "film with two vague sequels" are interchangable terms needs to be tracked down and stabbed in the ****ing eye.

Did any of those late cash-in sequels have a nine-figure budget? I don't think they did. Were they reliant on among the most complex computer effects models to even exist? Not that I'm aware of. Were the second films in any of those, a-hahaha, trilogies top 10 on the all-time box office chart?

Stop digging the hole. You said something stupid, no need to do it over and over again, is there?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

How the hell are we comparing the next TF movie with Ace Ventura 3? AV3 came out about thirteen years* after the second film and didn't have Jim Carrey in it, FFS.

If TF3 had been scheduled for 2021, was going to be directed by Daniel Attias and Op was going to be voiced by the guy off of One Tree Hill, there might be a very good chance of it going straight to video. But, as far as I know, that's not the case.

Good grief.

* - I'm guessing 13 years. If you genuinely think I'm actually going to check the release date of Ace Ventura: The Next Generation in order to pointscore in an argument this ludicrous, then you're an idiot.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Has anyone actually sat through the third Ace Ventura film? Perhaps it really cleverly turns the whole series into a coherent, logical trilogy in a really cleaver way.

No? I'd check but after experiencing Tim Curry as Gomez...
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
numbat

Post by numbat »

I didn't even know there was a third Ace Ventura film...

:eek:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Well, you wouldn't. It was going to be the epic finale to the hugely popular Ace Ventura Trilogy - it had a ~$250m budget, state-of-the-art special effects, all the original cast and the backing of a huge multinational corporation. But the idiots released it straight to DVD because Hollywood execs hate money. They could see it was going to gross a fortune worldwide, but they just didn't want it to.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Cliffjumper wrote:Well, you wouldn't. It was going to be the epic finale to the hugely popular Ace Ventura Trilogy - it had a ~$250m budget, state-of-the-art special effects, all the original cast and the backing of a huge multinational corporation. But the idiots released it straight to DVD because Hollywood execs hate money. They could see it was going to gross a fortune worldwide, but they just didn't want it to.
I always wondered why those crazy Execubots were left in charge of networks and film studios...

Roll dice - 6

'Transformers 3 - straight to DVD!'