Disney buys Marvel for $4 Billion

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Notabot

Disney buys Marvel for $4 Billion

Post by Notabot »

Source:
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/In ... &GT1=33002

So will Marvel get Disnified, or will it just mean wider distribution? I'm curious what kind of impact it'll have.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

I've read so many people talk about how Marvels content is going to be ruined now that Disney own them (more child friendly, more creative interference etc) BUT people seem to forget that Disney also own Miramax and various other outlets that produce more adult material, so I wouldn't say there is anything to worry about, I just think there is likely to be more support in the non comics department such as the films and TV shows etc.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Yeah, unless Disney re-brand all of Marvel's stuff as Disney, content is unlikely to change. Given that Marvel is a brand in its own right, it's probable that Disney bought the company for the purpose of owning its revenue instead of trying to eradicate competition or anything.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Even if they were planning to meddle, what could Disney do that Joe Q hasn't managed the past five years?

EDIT: Also, scrolling down the index, I keep reading this as "Denyer buys Marvel for $4". Which'd certainly be an interesting development.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

I remember back in the nineties when the U.S. government was going after Bill Gates for monopolies. Aren't Wal Mart and now Disney, to name a few, doing the same thing? But this is news to me, I will have to let them know at work now so they don't get boxes marked Disney-Marvel, or some sort of logo, and it confuse the employees further. I haven't read Marvel Comics in years because of the way the stories are nowadays and rehashing the same story but with newer things added on or whatnot. As long as Disney doesn't touch Black Library and Games Workshop, I'll be fine.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

How the Hell can Disney have a monopoly on comics when Warner owns DC, who are roughly the same size as Marvel? You do know what a monopoly is, right? It's when someone owns all the companies that provide one thing, thus controlling the market. It's not when they own lots of different companies in different areas. This is why you have a monopoly when you own Park Lane and Mayfair, but don't when you own just one from each colour set.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Here's a video of the announcement: http://www.newsarama.com/common/media/v ... ?aid=30434

Looks like Disney is going to help Marvel with the global distribution or something. I don't think much is going to change, but we'll just have to wait and see :)
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Cliffjumper wrote:How the Hell can Disney have a monopoly on comics when Warner owns DC, who are roughly the same size as Marvel? You do know what a monopoly is, right? It's when someone owns all the companies that provide one thing, thus controlling the market. It's not when they own lots of different companies in different areas. This is why you have a monopoly when you own Park Lane and Mayfair, but don't when you own just one from each colour set.
And extending it out of the monopoly reach, Disney dont actually own that many companies that arent part of the "Disney family" as in they own alot under the Disney brand, but past that doesnt seem to be all that much.

But yeah, not really a monopoly... Disney own Marvel and have a working partnership with BOOM! and I think bought Crossgen and folded that in to its publishing arm, but then you look at WB/DC they bought Wildstorm from Image (in simple terms) and over the years have bought and folded companies in on themselves etc.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Yeah, I don't think anything is going to change. Disney said they'd respect current deals and licensing with TV Shows, Movies, and Games (Probably toys too) so if anything they are just going to broaden Marvel's distribution range, similar to DC/Time Warner.

...oh man, if Marvel characters get put into Kingdom Hearts...
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Hopefully Hasbro gets to keep the license deal they have. the 3.75 figures and the new handful of heroes line are pretty cool.
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Counterpunch's first post pretty much sums up my thoughts on the deal. My only concern is how this will affect Marvel's licensees for games, movies, and toys in that order.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Sir Auros wrote:Counterpunch's first post pretty much sums up my thoughts on the deal. My only concern is how this will affect Marvel's licensees for games, movies, and toys in that order.
Disney has stated that it will honor previously existing contracts.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:I keep reading this as "Denyer buys Marvel
Mother****er. Now I'm doing it.
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »

Best thing out of this merger is possibly seeing a Marvel/Pixar film.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

Hennessy wrote:Best thing out of this merger is possibly seeing a Marvel/Pixar film.
Cant see it happening to be honest

Thus far Disney have honoured Pixars own brand of creativity leading to all the great films we have seen, I cant see Pixar sacrificing the creation of their own ideas for ones with Marvel characters and I cant see them accepting Disney forcing them to do it.
Hennessy
Protoform

Post by Hennessy »

CounterPunch wrote:Cant see it happening to be honest

Thus far Disney have honoured Pixars own brand of creativity leading to all the great films we have seen, I cant see Pixar sacrificing the creation of their own ideas for ones with Marvel characters and I cant see them accepting Disney forcing them to do it.
Marvel and Pixar have already met and have talked, so it is possible.
When asked if there was potential for cross-polination between Marvel and Pixar, Disney said that Pixar’s John Lasseter has met with key Marvel creative executives recently and the group got “pretty excited, very fast.” Disney will look at all opportunities and thinks there are some exciting product that could come from this sort of partnership.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=22747
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Springer007 wrote:Games Workshop
Ha! A Disney army would probably look like a kiddified Skaven army...
I just hope that Disney doesn't ruin any future Marvel movies. That's not saying much though. Have you seen Fantstic Four? Ugh...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

secretcode wrote:Disney has stated that it will honor previously existing contracts.
I saw that already, but I'm talking about when those contracts run up and how the licenses will be handled in the future.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:Ha! A Disney army would probably look like a kiddified Skaven army...
I just hope that Disney doesn't ruin any future Marvel movies. That's not saying much though. Have you seen Fantstic Four? Ugh...
I hated the Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer sequel movie. It just was horribly done and the writers deserve to be stabbed in the eye with a very hot french fry, then choked by a pretzel. ANd I just sickered at the thought of a kidified skaven army. :P
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Zisteau

Post by Zisteau »

And game studios allow EA to acquire them for better distribution and infrastructure. That always turns out well...