What did you think of District 9?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
The PS3 KILLeR

What did you think of District 9?

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

I really liked it but I mainly went to see it because it's the closest thing the the HALO movie that we might ever see. But I want to know what everybody thinks about it. It was very good for a $30,000,000 movie I think, which isn't as much as you think it is. For a Peter Jackson movie, or for just a modern sci-fi movie really, thats a really low budget. But it made back it's budget plus some, so somepeople out there must really like it, Are you one of them?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It's impressive for the ninth film in a franchise to still be creating a buzz, but as I missed the first 8 I won't be bothering with it till I catch up.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I know the feeling. I'm still annoyed I missed all the previous Taking of Pelham films, which is quite an accomplishment for somebody who generally thinks they know what's about.
inflatable dalek

Halfshell wrote:I know the feeling. I'm still annoyed I missed all the previous Taking of Pelham films, which is quite an accomplishment for somebody who generally thinks they know what's about.
The numbering in that franchise is very confusing, there's at least two other 123's in the series. Makes more sense than the Rambo franchise titling though...
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

It's very simple, it goes:

First Blood
Rambo: First Blood Part II
Rambo III
Rambo

What's hard to follow about that? Simples!

Next one will likely be called Rambo 2 and the circle is complete. Actually they'll probably call it First Blood Part V.
inflatable dalek

Ah, they're giving the films the right titles, just not necessarily in the right order.

I see the new Final Destination film is called The Final Destination. The Fast and the Furious franchise has a lot to answer for.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Personally I blame American History X, but I'm sure someone already has.
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Good movie. Unnecessarily gory at times, but well written and well made. CGI added to the story and characterization rather than trying to gloss over gaps in either.

Certainly worth a look.
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

now that it is spoiled that there are other films, what are the other film titles so i can watch them in "proper" order before watching District 9? you've all got me as curious as Tom trying to figure out what Jerry is doing...

And on Rambo and other numerical type movies, I find Rambo and Rocky the easiest to remember. And trying to figure out the order to National Lampoon vacation movies is insane. Especially with the constant switching of actors for the various children's roles in the movies.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Springer007 wrote:now that it is spoiled that there are other films, what are the other film titles so i can watch them in "proper" order before watching District 9?
Swordfish
Queen of the Damned
Eurotrip
Brazil
Heaven's Gate
Teen Wolf
Revolver
The Prestige
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

D'oh! See I had watched Teen Wolf before Brazil because of the list at IMDB. That explains why David Bowie's pants didn't make any sense in The Prestige. So does the new one finally wrap up all the loose threads from Eurotrip?
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

Halfshell wrote:Swordfish
Queen of the Damned
Eurotrip
Brazil
Heaven's Gate
Teen Wolf
Revolver
The Prestige
i knew i saw random aliens running around within hindsight. most of the films might include a modern day scientologist or two, i am aware of John Travolta in at least one movie, but there might be more. Darn those alien loving hippies! :swirly: No wonder aliens don't know what to do once they land on Earth: probe us or ask us for a cold beer or something...
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
inflatable dalek

Springer007 wrote: i am aware of John Travolta in at least one movie, but there might be more.
He's been in at least four movies over the years.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Saw it today.

Best movie I've seen all year, even eclipsing Star Trek. It even had a giant robot at the end for Clay!
inflatable dalek

I will bet good money the giant robot at the end was not there for Clay.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Watched it just now. Nice movie, has a concrete(ish) plot, nice CGI and characterization. I like the fact that the aliens don't speak any English... After that funny scene with Storm Shadow in GI Joe...
The robot fight was nice. Impressive, even.
Transformer Kamen

Post by Transformer Kamen »

Well done! I really liked the film; it didn't go at all how I had expected from the trailers. The gore was a bit gratuitous at points, but not overly so, and tight plot kept things rolling. Loved the mecha at the end.

I'd say it's worth a look at the cinema.
Pun-3X

Post by Pun-3X »

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very good story, and very nice visually considering they made it for $30,000,000. I brought a friend of mine, and the funny thing was whenever there was some kind of alien gore, she'd turn her head. But when people blew up she seemed pretty enthused. Not sure how to take that.

Hope the movie does well--definitely deserves to. And the main human character is perfect; he is totally NOT what you expect to be any kind of lead, and that really makes his character work as the story progresses.
The PS3 KILLeR

Post by The PS3 KILLeR »

Swordfish? Eurotrip? Teen Wolf? :wtf: Come on!! District 9 has nothing to do with those films. I understand it's just a joke but don't poke around with a great film. But it was funny, I give you that:lol:.

BTW! Anyone have an idea on how much it has made now? I know Sony has green lit two more films and a possible videogame. To which Sega, EA, and believe it or not Gearbox are in talks with sony to develop the Game. Which makes me wonder about the Aliens game that was in the works at Gearbox and Sega. If they are fighting about this one does it mean the Aliens game is Canned?
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkft38 ... qQ19nnewxw check us out!!!
XBOX LIVE gamertag: DaBeardedXeno
PSN ID: tweco99
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Quick question for you wacky colonials: Did you really need the constant subtitles when the South Africans and Nigerians were speaking English?