Disney's Robin Hood...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Disney's Robin Hood...

Post by Cliffjumper »

...there are a lot more boob jokes in this than I remember.

Awesome film.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Robin hood and Little john a'running through the forrest...

Haven't seen it in years but used to be a video favourite. Would I be right in remembering that like Tail Spin it had the conceit of "Actors" from The Jungle Book in new roles? I'm failry sure Baloo was Little John but the old memory may be playing tricks.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I thought that, but ti looks like they just used Baloo's model for Little John.

And Robin is voiced by Brian "Scott Stoddard" Bedford. Outstanding. The mix of British and American voices is wonderfully weird...
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:I thought that, but ti looks like they just used Baloo's model for Little John.

I thought Sheer Khan was Prince John as well. I'm probably getting it mixeed up with a Tail Spin episode where they all dressed up for some reason...
Oddly enough I think it's fairly faithful to the original myths with the archery contest and all that.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

inflatable dalek wrote:I thought Sheer Khan was Prince John as well.
Nah, John was a mountain lion/cougar/puma. Because King Richard is a proper lion, you see.

I'd say you're epically confused, unless The Jungle Book starred two foxes, a wolf, a badger and some chickens.

I was always somewhat disappointed that, lionheart gag aside, they didn't manage to keep it limited to indiginous UK wildlife.

That aside, I love that film. I picked it up on DVD last year and had forgotten how absolutely wonderful it is. Sir Hiss (Terry f'n Thomas!) is one of my all time favourite screen characters. Solely for the bit where he folds his arms over his basket.
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Ooo, nice choice. This was one of my favourite animated Disney flicks back when I was a wee brat, along with Sword in the Stone. Come to think of it, I enjoy most, with one exception or two, animated Disney movies that came from the 60's and early 70's.
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Halfshell wrote:Nah, John was a mountain lion/cougar/puma. Because King Richard is a proper lion, you see.

I'd say you're epically confused, unless The Jungle Book starred two foxes, a wolf, a badger and some chickens.

I was always somewhat disappointed that, lionheart gag aside, they didn't manage to keep it limited to indiginous UK wildlife.

That aside, I love that film. I picked it up on DVD last year and had forgotten how absolutely wonderful it is. Sir Hiss (Terry f'n Thomas!) is one of my all time favourite screen characters. Solely for the bit where he folds his arms over his basket.
Aside from that, Sheer Khan is a tiger, not a lion.

Robin Hood & Jungle Book are awesome films. Own them both. A couple years ago, my wife and I joined the Disney Movie Club cause they sent us a good deal. Now we own a bunch of animated classics and most of the Pixar movies. Oddly enough, Aladdin and The Little Mermaid are a couple of my favorites.

Oh yeah, and Sir Hiss is phenomenal!
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

ganon578 wrote:Aside from that, Sheer Khan is a tiger, not a lion.
Aside from that being the very first thing I pointed out?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sir Hiss is fabulous, as said. Throughly enjoyed that, really good uncomplicated fun, no jive-talking stand-up comedians or any of that bullshit. The hen was pretty awesome too. Plus I actually laughed out loud something like four or five times...
inflatable dalek

Terry Thomas was is a Disney film? Bloody hell.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

It's awesome. The only Disney animation that I own on DVD. Really love the songs too. Especially Whistle Stop (better known as the Hamster Dance!).

Love the Sheriff too. He's great.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Yeah, it's a great movie, and holds a special place in my heart as one of the few Disney movies I owned on tape as a kid (along with Lady & The Tramp, Cinderella, and The Little Mermaid).
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Admittedly, I used to think that Little John was played by Baloo and the snake guy was played by Kaa, too. Didn't figure out they were just recycled models until some time later.

It's a good movie and one of the Disney flicks I watched most often when I was a kid. Odd that it was so good, considering it came out in those "awkward years" between Walt's death and Disney's resurgance in quality at the end of the 80s.

So many of their movies from that time period were either terrible or totally forgettable. Robin Hood was an exception, though. Oh, and Great Mouse Detective. That one was great.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hell yes. Always rather liked Fox & the Hound as well... Personally I think the main reason that little run of films are relatively... shunned is because they aren't as easy to merchandise as the 1990s-onwards ones, or the earlier Fairytale ones, as they're more unisex rather than primarily aimed at girls (to be fair, the Pixar stuff has redressed this considerably).
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Halfshell wrote:Aside from that being the very first thing I pointed out?
Technically, you didn't say he was a tiger. You inferred that he wasn't a lion when you said Prince John was a cougar/mountain lion and King Richard was a proper lion.
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote:Hell yes. Always rather liked Fox & the Hound as well...
Now you know you shouldn't like that one. By making at least one straight to video sequel rather than spending the cash on curing cancer Disney are directly responsible for all the woes in the world.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

ganon578 wrote:Technically, you didn't say he was a tiger. You inferred that he wasn't a lion when you said Prince John was a cougar/mountain lion and King Richard was a proper lion.
And you thought this worth spelling out to the literally fractions of people reading who may not have realised that Khan was a tiger?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

You're complaining about pedantry?
ganon578

Post by ganon578 »

Halfshell wrote:And you thought this worth spelling out to the literally fractions of people reading who may not have realised that Khan was a tiger?
Yes.
Vin Ghostal

Post by Vin Ghostal »

Cliffjumper wrote:Hell yes. Always rather liked Fox & the Hound as well
Never seen that...as I look down the list, I've never seen Bambi, Three Caballeros, Make Mine Music, Fun and Fancy Free, Melody Time, Ichabod & Mr. Toad, Sleeping Beauty, Aristocats, The Black Cauldron, The Great Mouse Detective, Oliver & Company, Pocahantas, Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, The Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Lilo & Stitch, Brother Bear, or Home on the Range either...and I thought I liked Disney animated movies.