Writing novel, need help...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Slayer-Fan123

Writing novel, need help...

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Alright, so now I am finished with my short story for Creative Writing class, and am now working on a novel. It is about serial killers being killed by an unknown person. Sort of a mystery story, if you will...
I was wondering if anyone could find any links about serial killers for inspiration, because I really don't want to use wikipedia, and google won't work on my internet connection very well. Sometimes searching for something specific causes the my internet to to freeze and not respond.
ANY help would make me very grateful. Thank you in advance.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

I guess you could compare it to Dexter, but the problem I have had no cable for over a year, and it would prove hard to watch another full episode. I watched a couple of episodes, but I don't believe I saw any killings. Also, I don't have any money to buy the DVDs at the moment. Thank you anyway, because I had forgotten about that show.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Springer007

Post by Springer007 »

wasn't there a movie about that sort of thing too? where they don't know the former Agent's name, but he is psychic and kills serial killers? Anyway, good ideas though from what you just described. Keep it up, and remember you can never use too many commas.
"Fear denies faith. And for the Immortal Emperor!"

-Space Marines
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sades

Post by Sades »

Libraries?

Is where I'll be going to research my essay subject [ironically- orig TF:TM] if my ISP doesn't sort out my shit connection posthaste...

[edit] The fact that I can't find any TF:TM '86 info under "Movies" makes me a sad panda. :(

[edit2] Finally found some '86 movie content... under "Cartoons".

Sorry, but :wtf: ? I know it's animated, but I don't understand the logic behind shifting it to cartoons. Can someone enlighten me?
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

I'll second the library idea, because you'll never now what you'll find in there. This book was in my high school library and I would often read it during my lunch break. It's quite interesting, especially if the intro is still the same, describing the FBI's definition of a serial killer and whatnot. It's amazing how messed up some of these people's childhood years were. http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Seri ... 929&sr=1-2
~
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Sades wrote:Sorry, but :wtf: ? I know it's animated, but I don't understand the logic behind shifting it to cartoons. Can someone enlighten me?
No. The cartoon section's got an inch thick layer of dust on it. TBH were it not for someone putting effort into the episode guides a while back I'd have suggested shutting the section down for this site as we seem to focus heavily on toys, comics and created media now.

Sadly it's no longer my call to make. Though I am hoping to re-jig the 'movies' section to include stuff on RotF and may make a little corner link to anything we have on the '86 flick.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I dunno, the '86 film is part of the cartoon, whereas the Movies are their own thing (along with their toys, comics and other tie-in stuff).
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sades wrote:Sorry, but :wtf: ? I know it's animated, but I don't understand the logic behind shifting it to cartoons. Can someone enlighten me?
Hasn't been shifted at all. There wasn't a movies directory a week ago.

tftm.net is now dead, so I intend to do info on at least the music associated with the original film.

There'll either be cross-linking (some sort of "these aren't the first TF films" link) or it'll end up in the same section as the live-action stuff. But personally I agree with Tom.

In the meantime, if there's anything specific you want to know, I have FSM knows how many years of old saved pages at home, or there are some pretty decent sites still around, probably including WombatKing's storyboard scans. Have you checked out the Cybertron Chronicle?

Episode guide will get completed as a block as soon as the rest of the eps have entries from the nice chap who's doing them. Two of the three conditions are also now in place to link in screenshots. I don't think we're going to move beyond the original cartoon, but the intention is to finish off a reasonable bit of content for that at least.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Denyer wrote:Hasn't been shifted at all. There wasn't a movies directory a week ago.
Oh, okay. Goes to show how much attention I've been paying. Then again, I'm not one of the people providing or working on content so I really haven't had to. ;)

It's fine D, mucho thanks though. :wave: All I really need is a refresher on different ideas and perspectives, I'll be watching the movie itself shortly. Basically I'm only writing it to get practice writing essays [since it's been almost a decade or so since I've had to write one] and to have an idea on what I want to write about when it comes to the actual in-exam essay on Wednesday [so I don't panic utterly when I get a pencil in my hands-TF:TM is one of two source materials I'm going to need to refresh on]. I don't actually know what sort of question they're going to want an essay-form answer to during the test, so I'll have to make what I know sort of fit around that when I get there. Gonna be funnnn.

I'm probably going to do a synopsis of the movie as a refresher as well. If you guys want that for the site when I'm done [you seem to have one already, but thought I'd offer as it's getting done anyway] you're welcome to it.

[two cents: Y'know what, I think the most logical place for the original '86 movie info would be in the Movies section... or like was mentioned, in the cartoons wth links to in the Movies section. Or it could be the other way around, with the info being in Movies with links to in the Cartoons section. So in other words basically what D said, but slightly more confused and longer.]

On topic- Library computers. Library books. It's all good- they probably have printers you could use and stuff like that, as well.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

Look up the basics first at your Library.

Charles Manson, Ted Bundy, David Burkowitz, and the (Still unknown) Zodiac Killer for starters. Move on according to whoever's style you like.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Well, the most interesting serial killers I found out about were:
.Herbert Mullin
.Ed Gein
.Henry Lee Lucas
.Rhonda Belle Martin
."Bloddy" Benders

I forgot how easy it was to use a library. I probably won't be back there for two weeks or so though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

I came across this guy reading an issue of Myspace Dark Horse Presents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H._H._Holmes

Kinda like Saw before Saw.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Am I the only one worried that slayer fan comes looking to us for information on serial killers?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

[I'm a miserable bastard]