Happy Holidays

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Sades wrote:Is it wrong that I like to fiddle around in the kitchen wth some holiday tunes on in the background and the completely useless but fun Yule Log channel on TV?
Hell No! Consider it, "normal".
~
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Sades wrote:It was a toss-up when I had the convo with the BF. I said I'd rather not, the BF said that he would like to do the Santa thing, for the sake of innocence [condensed, in a nutshell. not his actual words]. Now that I think on it, it never did us any harm when we were young and we figured it out quick enough- a few years spent humouring the 'rents and having fun pretending... it's not a bad thing. Kids are very sweet at that young age, but they can be surprisingly perceptive. I'm fairly certain my oldest niece no longer believes in Santa, but she likes to pretend.

The only way I can see it being harmful is if the parent goes out of their way to insist to their children that Santa exists [while they're still in the believing stage, anyway].
This is more or less the stance we took with our kids. We never really said much about it, just kinda let them draw their own conclusions. My stepson is 8 now, and he figured out it was bullshit around the age of 5. My daughter is 2 and she doesn't even know one way or the other right now, but I'm not gonna try to convince her one way or the other, just go along with it till she sorts out its bullshit too.

I don't see any harm in it, unless like you said people go way out of their way to convince their kids its all real, that is a bit much. My view is more or less the same, it never hurt us growing up, and I figured it out when I found Megatron in my parent's closet prior to getting it from Santa.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Sades wrote:I'm fairly certain my oldest niece no longer believes in Santa, but she likes to pretend.

I think most kids do, though they wouldn't like you to tell them otherwise. A lot of the time I think they play along so as not to disapoint their parents. I don't see any real harm as long as you don't use it for blackmail purposes ("Be good bitch or Santa won't bring you shit").
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Ostentatious wrote: Worst case scenario:
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1033/1033_01.asp
I thought it would be a child growing up to rebuild an Ultron robot in the image of father christmas with the hope of spreading christmas cheer but instead it goes nuts and crashes Dr Stranges christmas party.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

Well today is the day that most actually celebrate and exchange gifts and such, so let me be the first to wish you a merry Christmas, happy holidays, or what ever the **** you want to call it! :clap:

I just got my iPod Nano, so I'm happy, and nothing is going to **** my day up. Not even going to work in 10 minutes....:p

Have a good one you guys! :wave:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

It's only Christmas eve, you backwards colonial!
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Cliffjumper wrote:It's only Christmas eve, you backwards colonial!
My cousins are South African and they eat their chrismas dinner on christmas eve, savages.

Its also sunny there and the toilet flushes backwards.:glance:
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
secretcode

Merry Christmas, From Chiron Beta Prime.

Post by secretcode »

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1cb9ArIptE&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q1cb9ArIptE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

That's awesome. I love Chick tracts. Always good for an absolute worst case scenario which inevitably ends with some angry vengeful god going mental on some fairly innocuous type.

Well, its kind of Christmas here, I've taken two days off, one to eat and drink and boxing day to sit around with a hangover. Someone really needs to explain to Japan that KFC is not actually a traditional Xmas dinner though. At least my mum sent me a proper Christmas cake from England (again, Xmas cake here is sponge with whipped cream and strawberries, what's that all about?)

Merry Xmas!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Santa is now in Mombasa, Kenya :o

http://www.noradsanta.org/en/home.html
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Blitzwing

Post by Blitzwing »

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all.

Time to brake out the Rum and Eggnog.

Might make some drunk posts about how much I hate snow later.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Cliffjumper wrote:It's only Christmas eve, you backwards colonial!
My Danish friends eat Christmas dinner on Christmas eve :o

Still Merry Christmas EVERYBODY!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Jetfire wrote:My Danish friends eat Christmas dinner on Christmas eve :o
They probably belonged to us at one point. We had, at various points, Jesper Olsen, Legoland and the Faroes, which are all the best bits.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Full of Christmas dinner (which we eat on Christmas Eve around 9pm - so the Scraplets receive nourishment rather than starve 'cos they're playing with their new toys i.e. Transformers on Christmas Day) and yes - I do believe the little darlings have finally fallen asleep! Time for Santa to fill those empty stockings with oranges, chocolate and real, shiny money.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS, EVERYONE!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Merry Christmas, guys and gals. Have a good one!
rattrap23

Post by rattrap23 »

Remember, Santas watching!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Grew up, mellowed out.
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

I was going to say something along the lines of "When was the last time gag iPod ads funny" but I figured someone would turn that around to "When was the last time YOU were funny" comment.

Instead, here's a picture of a llama.

Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Merry christmas to all! May you all get presents.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

secretcode wrote:I was going to say something along the lines of "When was the last time gag iPod ads funny" but I figured someone would turn that around to "When was the last time YOU were funny" comment.
And yet still, with all that careful planning, you still managed it.
Well done you.

Merry fat man in a red suit holiday
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

And today my true love gave to me a bunch of extremely leaky pipes in the entry hall to the flats that the Landlord is unlikely to do anything about till Monday. As the roof is already starting to fall down from the damp caused by the leak the first floor flat may be moving downward later today...

MERRY CHRISTMAS! ect.