Happy Holidays

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

b'ah, at least you guys get a 'couple' of days off. I get Christmas day and that's it.

secretcode, apart from the fact that any of us would have to google that to actually give a **** about it, it's about as funny as drowning kittens.

Ackula, I like it. :up:
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

secretcode wrote:I thought it was Archiver?

Hang on a sec... Archive... the ship in the comic was called the Ark... It's a wordplay joke! I get it! Only took four years. Ark-ive. Genius.
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

burnitall wrote:I want a pony.
Well then, Merry Christmas, burnitall!

(Some assembly and necromancy will be required)
~
secretcode

Hil-****in-larious

Post by secretcode »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote:secretcode, apart from the fact that any of us would have to google that to actually give a **** about it, it's about as funny as drowning kittens.
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Depends on the person I'm talking to. If I know someone's not Christian I usually wish them happy holidays or, if they're Jewish, a happy Hannukah.

I do think the whole deal with people getting offended by the phrases "holiday tree," "happy holidays" and other assorted PC jargon is a bit contrary to the whole spirit of Christmas. It's about peace on earth, good will toward men--not finding petty reasons to quarrel.
Clay

Post by Clay »

To summarize the thread so far:

Starlord: Merry Christmas!

Everyone else: Bah humbug!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Which is kinda fair, as it's actually a fortnight off. It's a bit hard to get into the Christmas spirit when it isn't actually Christmas. Happy 2009! Happy 25th Anniversary TF Archive 1996-2021! Planetary #27 is out!
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

[

No.

--Denyer

]
RID Scourge

Post by RID Scourge »

Cliffjumper wrote:Which is kinda fair, as it's actually a fortnight off. It's a bit hard to get into the Christmas spirit when it isn't actually Christmas. Happy 2009! Happy 25th Anniversary TF Archive 1996-2021! Planetary #27 is out!
Ah. Well it's an American tradition to play Christmas Carols on the radio 24-7 the day after Halloween* so you'll have to forgive his confusion. ;)

*That's only half-tongue-in-cheek. They really do start the day after Halloween. I'm glad people got somewhat sick of carols this year. Last year around this time I was about to slay someone because of all the holiday cheer.

I'd kill for some Thanksgiving carols just to give us a month's reprieve from the sappy, sentimental nothings that are carols. Maybe something along the lines of "Stuff that turkey," "Please pass the pumpkin pie" and "Pilgrims' feast hail to thee!"

Bad enough that the day after Christmas pink hearts and cherubs suddenly appear all over the place . . .
Energon Hot Shot

Post by Energon Hot Shot »

"Happy Holidays" only bothers me when Christmas is the only holiday being represented. To me, it comes off as being too scared to say Christmas and too stubborn to acknowledge Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, or any other holidays.

And I find "Holiday Trees" ridiculous. I may be wrong about this, but isn't Christmas the only end-of-the-year holiday that involves decorating trees?

Well, enough ranting. Merry Christmas AND Happy Holidays!
secretcode

Post by secretcode »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote:Consistency -Auros
I still don't see what point you are trying to make here. Hell, is there even one or are you just in a ****ing miserable state again?
Latest Hauls: Supertrain Megazord, RID Galvatron, Nightwatch Prime
TF Total: 173 ---- Non-TF: 32
Sades

Post by Sades »

Wow, this place can argue about every ****ing little thing ever, can't it?

Well, I like the holidays. I like baking, I like actually being able to buy gifts this year and I'm going whole hog with the entire thing. I bought myself a Christmas tree and some decorations and it's been set up since late November. I like holiday music, I love shopping for other people, I like gift wrapping, I'm not religious and I'm not offended by people who are.

Happy Holidays/greeting of your choice to the peeps that still have feeling parts left. The rest can go **** themselves.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Cliffjumper wrote:Which is kinda fair, as it's actually a fortnight off. It's a bit hard to get into the Christmas spirit when it isn't actually Christmas. Happy 2009! Happy 25th Anniversary TF Archive 1996-2021! Planetary #27 is out!
Actually, here in the United States, Christmas begins just before Halloween.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Le sigh...

Thread start:
starlord wrote:I want to wish you a Merry Christmas.
Thread later:
StoneCold Skywarp wrote:Editing this one, too. -Auros
THIS IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.

Everybody needs to get a lot more cheery real quick like. If that means I have to mute all the unhappy people for the duration of the holiday season, then so bet it.

Ugh, I've turned into my mother.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

There aren't going to be exceptions to this, even myself.

Although I don't think it's actually possible to ban this account through the software.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

We shall see. I've made a few, how shall we say, adjustments. Try posting now, Denyer.
Ackula

Post by Ackula »

General question regarding Christmas that came up today with some coworkers of mine....

If you had kids, would you try and sell them on the lie that there is a Santa Claus, of be perfectly honest with them?
Sades

Post by Sades »

It was a toss-up when I had the convo with the BF. I said I'd rather not, the BF said that he would like to do the Santa thing, for the sake of innocence [condensed, in a nutshell. not his actual words]. Now that I think on it, it never did us any harm when we were young and we figured it out quick enough- a few years spent humouring the 'rents and having fun pretending... it's not a bad thing. Kids are very sweet at that young age, but they can be surprisingly perceptive. I'm fairly certain my oldest niece no longer believes in Santa, but she likes to pretend.

The only way I can see it being harmful is if the parent goes out of their way to insist to their children that Santa exists [while they're still in the believing stage, anyway].
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Ostentatious

Post by Ostentatious »

Ackula wrote:General question regarding Christmas that came up today with some coworkers of mine....

If you had kids, would you try and sell them on the lie that there is a Santa Claus, of be perfectly honest with them?
Hmm...I've debated with this issue between my roommate and I. I personally would, just because it's kind of a tradition, but I'd make sure that it would be pretty obvious that, well,
SPOILER! (select to read)
Santa Claus isn't real!
Besides, most kids figure it out eventually. I did in the 3rd grade and so did my sister.

Worst case scenario:
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/1033/1033_01.asp
~
Sades

Post by Sades »

And we all know Chick tracts are the best most reliable source for realistic, true to life info evaaaaar.

Is it wrong that I like to fiddle around in the kitchen wth some holiday tunes on in the background and the completely useless but fun Yule Log channel on TV?

I bought my youngest brother a book called "What Your Poo is Telling You"... and a book to record his poos in. He's going to be a doctor, he should appreciate it.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!