DOCTOR WHO (2007): Episode Reactions

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Originally posted by Brendocon
Everything was art deco in The Past. Surely this is common knowledge?

Including white dog ****?

I've now decided that the other surviving Time Lord will be Maxil, and Colin Baker will still be playing him. It's about as likely as the Macra. And speaking of which, the week beofe's episode got more viewers, so giant crabs are clearly more popular than Daleks.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Shockmeister
Protoform

Post by Shockmeister »

Okay, having watched the episode again, I've got another question. Well, aside from why the Daleks think it's a good idea to 'evolve' into a form that leaves them easier to kill than before; I'm assuming there'll be an explanation for that in part 2. But this concerns the 'Next Week' trailer, so spiler tags ahoy...
SPOILER! (select to read)
Notice how one of the Daleks flying avoe Hooverville, when shot at, actually has the bullet impact against its casing. What happened to its force-field? Is that what the Doctor meant by them being "more vulnerable", or did Helen Raynor forget something?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Well, we know they've all sacrificed a bit of their plating for The Plot Device Spire Thing, so maybe that's the cause?
Shockmeister
Protoform

Post by Shockmeister »

Yeah, that makes sense. Moreso than the complicated technobabble in my head involving the "gamma strike" mentioned in the episode.
inflatable dalek

What's seen in the trailer was actually what was supposed to happen in Dalek, but they didn't have the budget to do the bullets bouncing of the casing hence the cheaper forcefield. Looks like they do have the money now...
And speaking of Dalek- At the talk he gave in Derby Rob Shearman mentioned that the original script just had the Doctor and Rose arrive at the museam by chance. The distress call was added when Mal Young questioned the coincidence of them arriving at the place where the only surrving Dalek was by a complete fluke-
"That's what always happens in Doctor Who"
"Not anymore it doesn't".

Shame the script for this one obviously passed Mal by...
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Mal's not on staff anymore.

And if the Cult is a direct response to wars like the ones against the Movellans, maybe the Cult lacks forcefields so they'll think more like the small, squishy things that the Daleks routinely conquer unless the Doctor's around.

Or like the Movellans, which lack forcefields as well.

Running theory, anyway.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Originally posted by Heinrad
Running theory, anyway.

Well, it's hobbling at best - they had them in "Doomsday"...
inflatable dalek

It's just down to someone thinking the Daleks look harder if they don't need force fields.

I'm still betting on a rerun of CyberwomanfromEastenders with NastyAmerican taking control of the Sec hybrid...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

SECOND BIT OF THE DALEK ONE

Well, that was massively predictable from start to finish, wasn't it? The Daleks shooting Solomon, the various "Dalek Creations go against them" things, the Doctor taking the moral highground, the lines borrowed from Eccleston's Doctor ("Lynda with a Y", or whatever it was). I kept waiting for the new unexpected twist. There wasn't one.

Next week: families and popular comedians (**** Gatiss' various average books and piss-poor Who scripts - he's Him Off League Of Gentlemen's In It This Week) hamming it up. Great, because those two have led to the absolute best episodes of the revival to date.
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

The converting humans plot seemed very like the Cybermen one with a smaller costume budget.
inflatable dalek

Much better than last week, as Cliffy says predictable but entertaining nonetheless. Though the Doctor actually offering to help the Dalek at the end was a surprise (I was actually half expecting the Master to show up and rescue the Dalek for a team up latter in the year). Though if the Daleks still had enough energy for a temporal shidt why didn't they do that and go somewhere they could get better tech? If Caan could make the hybrids self destruct why didn't he do it as soon as they began disobeying orders? Or at least once they started blasting the crap out of his friends (no wonder they made Sec leader).

And perhaps I missed something, but we get an exposition scene complete with graph, explaining that the Gamma wave will change the humans DNA, and then another Dalek claims they'll now be turned into pure Daleks. But what happnes looks more like they've had their minds filled with Dalek personalities rather than a DNA change. Which is lucky, because if they had been pure Daleks they'd have died without the protection of the casing...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Hmmm, I dunno, I found the Doctor doing the reasonable thing the predictable option - I'd have been more surprised if he'd wiped James out, or even done the old "talk the ****er into suicide" routine, considering he's always banging on about being the last one alive - that had "fitting punishment" stamped all over it from Russ' Patented Obvious Subtext Rubber Stamp (avaliable this Christmas from Toys R Us, £9.99, as seen The Idiot's Lantern, Love and Monsters, The Long Game, Bad Wolf etc, etc and so on).

That the Daleks didn't bother escaping from the idiots in the theatre sort of summed the whole thing up. They probably just wanted the whole car crash over and done with.

And if someone was to rape and behead the idiotic blonde with the am-dram Noo Yawk accent tonight, it'd be exactly what the talentless cow deserved. "LAZZZZ-LOW!!!" *repeat for 45 minutes*
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
Hmmm, I dunno, I found the Doctor doing the reasonable thing the predictable option -

Not so much where the Daleks are concerned. And only two weeks ago he was happy to go all genocidal on the Macra. I wonder what "help" he was planing to give actually...

And if someone was to rape and behead the idiotic blonde with the am-dram Noo Yawk accent tonight, it'd be exactly what the talentless cow deserved. "LAZZZZ-LOW!!!" *repeat for 45 minutes*
Was she one of the genuine Americans (ala Desperate Housewives bloke) or faux Americans (ala Captain Panaka)?

It'll probably work better for people unfamiliar with Evil of the Daleks...
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

I used to like Doc Who, but from what I've seen of these newest eps I'm not likin it too much.

That last ep. I didn't like the plot. I'm wrong here, but I thought the Dalek's hated humans and would rather exterminate them than use them as humanised Daleks.

I liked Sec. I thought he was well done and the best bit was seeing him enslaved with the Daleks dragging him. It was just dark and slave-ism is good to see for a little one eyed monster.

Then again last week I watched an episode of the 'toon. It really put me off anything Doctor Who so maybe thats another reason why I hated this. That woman pirate THING was just annoying. Irritating voice.

Anyhow, I did miss the ep before this one but in my mind it was still dreadful. The Doc, being the only real solid thing in it for me.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by DrEvil

That last ep. I didn't like the plot. I'm wrong here, but I thought the Dalek's hated humans and would rather exterminate them than use them as humanised Daleks.

One thing that won't have been clear from just this episode is that these Daleks were part of a extreme Dalek Think Tank "The Cult of Skaro"- their purpose was to think in a Un-Dalek way in order to come up with solutions to problems that have defeated regular Daleks.
DrEvil

Post by DrEvil »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
One thing that won't have been clear from just this episode is that these Daleks were part of a extreme Dalek Think Tank "The Cult of Skaro"- their purpose was to think in a Un-Dalek way in order to come up with solutions to problems that have defeated regular Daleks.

And did this involve using Pigmen, that seem to be clones of Pigsy from Monkey? Now I get it. A nuthouse cult of Daleks.

That does explain that now, and makes me think otherwise with a bit to the plot. However, with the girl with three L's and a H, Tallulah I really expected King Kong to burst in. Reminded me so much of that movie, that bit in the building. Now a King Kong Dalek, THAT would be interesting. And also most likely suck completely.
inflatable dalek

Originally posted by DrEvil
And did this involve using Pigmen, that seem to be clones of Pigsy from Monkey?

Indeed- all their plans were based around old school holliday programs. In their last appearence they put the theme tune from Robinson Crusoe to sinister use.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Actually, once this one got rolling, I liked it. Had a very Flash Gordon serial feel to it.

What can I say, I liked the old Flash Gordon serials.......

And, like those old serials, while it's a fun ride, don't read too much into it, otherwise you realize Ming's throne is actually a high-backed chair with a lot of tinfoil glued to it.

As for Dalek Khan getting away via chronal displacement, maybe he recharged while hooked up to the battle computer. Or..... maybe this is the Dalek from Dalek. Sure didn't look like a smooth transition from here to the chronal fold.

And this will give them a chance to let the Daleks "rebuild" their numbers.

Or, if the budget will allow it, maybe he could team up with the Cybermen, who have centuries of experience with being sneaky and subtle due to low numbers.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
inflatable dalek

Oh, and isn't it lucky that only the Dalek behind Sec fired when they were trying to kill the Doctor? If one of the others had thought to fire as well our hero would be dead...
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Is there anything in this ep about the "you are not alone" reveal, or can I safely skip watching the second part?