Gobots or no bots?

Comics, cartoons, movies and fan stuff.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It's a shame the Rock Lords never got their own show- Regular work might have stoped Margot Kidder living in the woods like a crazy person.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Odd thing... This chap - http://www.toyarchive.com/Gobots/Regula ... peRed.html - has a name which is the same as the Kids' Show substitute for arsehole, according to Nightscream.
Mufasa Prime
Protoform

Post by Mufasa Prime »

.........A bright red.....tailpipe. 'Kay, I'm gonna leave that alone.
Originally posted by Duozenith558
I love Youtube. It's a great way to waste time on the internet.

My brother after seeing the clip:

"Rest in peace gobots...they're never coming back"

So that's what happened to Gobotron

Gobots, it was a tough old show, wasn't it? :cool:
.....It's scary how much sense that makes.

By the way, I was "researching" Gobots on TFU earlier, and I stumbled across these guys:

http://www.tfu.info/Gobots/Guardians/Ro ... ranger.htm

http://www.tfu.info/Gobots/Guardians/Ca ... pistol.htm

.....Everything I knew has been a lie...
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings....so are hot Japanese girls!!"
inflatable dalek

That guy's better than 76% of all Optimus Prime toys!
heavenly6
Protoform

Post by heavenly6 »

I think It'd be kinda awesome if Hasbro redesigned some Gobots and released them as Transformers. Imagine Cy-Kill as a Decepticon! That could be pretty awesome.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

I took good look at all those gobots and saw 3 i like and the rest SUCK.

I remember the show, and I had many gobots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07-Qfo_JNHY : WAS WAS TOO FUNNY
Come on and wind me up.
Scout

Post by Scout »

I really liked the Gobots, but then- I got to know them before Transformers. I still like both.
Gobots showed up here in our stores first, but wasn't long before tfs were introduced. Res-Q (or whatever the little ambulance's name was) was my first robot-car thing. Bumblebee was my second. Both happily spent many hours in Prime's trailor controlling the grabbing claw and roller after Christmas.

The toons were very enjoyable, and I still have the videos and some colouring books. Fun stuff. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

While this is near here, and anyone confirm that Gobots launched in 1983? TFu.info says this [example], but I always thought they started in '84, albeit beating the Transformers to the shelves by a couple of months?
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

I had Blaster as a kid. And Baron Von Joy.

Blaster was awesome.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Well since I made this thread (2 months ago...wow), I've immersed myself in Gobots; I've watched the cartoon again *shudder*, I've watched nearly every Machine Robo cartoon (Good stuff…) and I've bought far too many Rock Lords. I’m also writing a history of the Gobots/Machine Robo, though I've done it in a rather haphazard way. Basically I've focused on the stuff that interests me, ignoring the boring stuff, so I've yet to get to the release dates and like facts and stuff…

The Machine Robo toy-line was released in 1982 and that Gobots hit the stores 5 months before Transformers. :(

Missile Tank (Machine Robo name) > Blaster (Transformers)
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Go Bots were just as popular toys as Transformers. Everyone I knew as a kid had nearly the same amount of TF and GB.

Doesn't matter, Transformers have a greatness the Gobots never achieved.

Transformers: 1, Gobots: 0
Come on and wind me up.
exodus42
Protoform

Post by exodus42 »

I remember Go-Bots as a child I had a few, but not nearly to the amount of Transformers that I had. My two favorites were Bugbite and the Super Cy-Kil, each stood about Six inches tall and now looking back they also seemed to be more posible. :smokin:
If you want "peace" the only thing you must do is...DIE
Scout

Post by Scout »

Originally posted by Cliffjumper
While this is near here, and anyone confirm that Gobots launched in 1983? TFu.info says this [example], but I always thought they started in '84, albeit beating the Transformers to the shelves by a couple of months?

I think I can confirm that for you Cliffy. Nov. 10th, my family went out to eat at the Dundee Red Lobster. It was the day after my bday- and our family always goes out to eat for bdays. Reason I remember is because it was not a good night.
We ordered and sat waiting for food. While we were waiting, a poor older fella at a table just across the way from us had either a heart-attack or he choked. The paramedics were called, ambulance came, and somehow they ran into the lobster tank in the lobby and cracked it. We were still waiting for our food at that point because the staff was busy with the emergency.

When the waitress did finally bring the dinners, she tripped and dropped them on my big brother, and his brand-new jacket. The manager came out again right away (at that point we had been waiting around about 90 minutes or so), and said they'd pay the cleaning bill, apologized profusely and said all the drinks were on the house (mind- the only drinks any of us had I believe were sodas - but eh). They said they'd fix us up dinners right away- we'd have them in 15-20 minutes. Mom got unhappy child duty and dragged Randy and I over to the TRU which was right next door. I think he picked out a matchbox car - I picked the transforming go-bot ambulance in honor of the dinner.
There ya go. Mom may even have saved the cleaning bill as a momento.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

That's good enough for me!

I wish I could remember the URL, but there was a site somewhere saying that initially Gobots slaughtered Transformers sales-wise (for whatever that's worth), but then Tonka took their foot off the gas, and the Hasbro promotional machine slaughtered Tonka's.
Scout

Post by Scout »

Well, speaking from a personal standpoint - it was the characters that I really liked - at first. They probably could have gone to 7-11 shops or Quickie marts and have been fighting over what kind of sodas or slushees to get. I bought the toys before I saw the toons.

And then- the toons came. Was chronically late to school because of Gobots, and after seeing the first few eps of tfs, I had lots of sick days because it aired before the bus got me home. :angel:

Still liked all the characters, but the tf storyline was so much better. :) While they continued with more in-depth characters and more realistic plots, gobots didn't really. Also, TF finally came on back-to-back with He-man after school. That might be a portion of what made the difference for some of the fan base- combined enjoyment and tv zoning.
another tf fan

Post by another tf fan »

Originally posted by Scout
Well, speaking from a personal standpoint - it was the characters that I really liked - at first. They probably could have gone to 7-11 shops or Quickie marts and have been fighting over what kind of sodas or slushees to get.

Huh? :eyebrow:

That gets my vote for "Non Sequitur of the year".
Come on and wind me up.
Scout

Post by Scout »

If you can't follow, just ask - or reread in context.

Cliffy mentioned the loss of gobot momentum for success - I responded with my perspectives on why.
inflatable dalek

I'm actually suprised, after looking at Cliffy's site, to see how long the Go-Bots toyline lasted for. I allways thought it was a flash in the pan thing.
Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Originally posted by inflatable dalek
I'm actually suprised, after looking at Cliffy's site, to see how long the Go-Bots toyline lasted for. I allways thought it was a flash in the pan thing.

The Machine Robo cartoons are pretty good. They’re nothing like the Gobots cartoon.

Its latest incarnation, “Machine Robo: Rescue Force” is far better than the likes of Armada or Energon.
inflatable dalek

I don't know if it's just the computer I'm using playing up, but I'm geting loads of random chinease letters in Aardy's posts... But no one elses.

Oh, and I've decided Baron Von Joy rocks my world. Why oh why when they used a Gobot name for Armada did they pump for dull Leader 1 when they had that beut lined up?