Gargoyles!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Lord Decepticon
Protoform

Gargoyles!

Post by Lord Decepticon »

Anyone here watch it. An actually better than average/decent cartoon but overall EXCELLENT! And it's from Disney, a show not based on a movie. Creatures who were feared in the 10th century, who protected a castle and a royal family. Then they are betrayed by the humans they protected, frozen in stone for 1000 years and awaken in 1994 by the millionaire buissnes man David Xanatos. Once again they are feared by humans, escept one. Goliath has the coolest voice actor, Xanatos is my favorite villian, if not one of my favorites. The I love the name DEMONa, understand heh. I've been watchin' it for years, regardless if there are no new episodes, this show rocks!
Transfannabeel
Protoform

Post by Transfannabeel »

Rember it, don't think I ever got into it. Still show old eps on abc family and I think toon disney.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

I never watched it back in the day. But then Toon Disney started rerunning it at midnight a year ago and I got hooked.

The show was fantastic all the way through. The animation, when done by the Japanese studio, was beautiful. Far beyond what was usually seen in television animation at the time. The Korean animated episodes were pretty good, quality-wise, but you could always tell the difference.

My only complaint is that a lot of the "lessons" tended to get laid on way too thick. The worst being the one about reading.

Not all the morals were corny, though. Probably the best was "Deadly Force", where Brooklyn plays with Alissa's gun and accidentally shoots her.

All in all, it was an excellent show. Kieth David is the man.

I can't wait for the season 1 box set coming out next year.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

I watched it at 4 o clock every weekday back in the day. I dont remember much of it now, but it was a great show.
Scout

Post by Scout »

I still have some of the toys. :D

Brooklyn was a great character, but the show was marvelous- both in plot and animation.
Bombshell

Post by Bombshell »

Originally posted by DrSpengler
Probably the best was "Deadly Force", where Brooklyn plays with Alissa's gun and accidentally shoots her.

It was Broadway, actually. And you're not likely to find that episode being played on TV ever again. I don't think it ever did when it ran on Family.
Kieth David is the man.

Can't argue with that.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Bombshell
It was Broadway, actually. And you're not likely to find that episode being played on TV ever again. I don't think it ever did when it ran on Family.

Yeah, got the B-names mixed up.

It reran on Toon Disney, just heavily editted.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Ah yeah, I remember watching it back when... haven't seen it in years though. Was cool!
Lord Decepticon
Protoform

Originally posted by Bombshell
I found that episode to d/l on a site but I've seen before I d/l'ed it it's a good epsiode teaching ghuns aren't toys. I like Goliath the best and prolly Brooklyn. Thailog is awesome. He arranged his own kidnapping and planned to have Demona & Macbeth kill each other so he could inherit the $$$. Just think about Xanatos' genius with Goliath's strength, u've created a monster just like Xanatos said. One of my favorite episodes was when they came to NY in the future. Hudson was dead. Xanatos ruled the city and killed his son who was workin wit the Gargoyles. Brooklyn was the leader and him & Demona was a copule, Lex became a cyborg while Broadway went blind.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

Originally posted by Lord Decepticon
I found that episode to d/l on a site but I've seen before I d/l'ed it it's a good epsiode teaching ghuns aren't toys. I like Goliath the best and prolly Brooklyn. Thailog is awesome. He arranged his own kidnapping and planned to have Demona & Macbeth kill each other so he could inherit the $$$. Just think about Xanatos' genius with Goliath's strength, u've created a monster just like Xanatos said. One of my favorite episodes was when they came to NY in the future. Hudson was dead. Xanatos ruled the city and killed his son who was workin wit the Gargoyles. Brooklyn was the leader and him & Demona was a copule, Lex became a cyborg while Broadway went blind.

That's among my favorites as well.

"And since I'm immortal, I'll have no need for an heir."

He then eradicates his own son with a single blast. Sweet.

The animation in that episode was also possibly the best the series ever had.
Nevermore

Post by Nevermore »

Gargoyles was a kids' cartoon with a major plot, tons of flashbacks, time-travels and other complicated stuff, which actually does make sense. In the end, once you look at the big picture, you get the impression that someone actually cared to make all the revalations made over the course of the first two seasons fit together. And yes, I love Xanatos and Demona. Great characters.
Another reason why it was not "just another kids' cartoon" is the huge amount of Shakespeare quotes and innuendoes, which hardly any kid would even notice. Oh, and it featured a woman of African American/Native American heritage in a lead role without even making a big deal of it, built up an inter-species relationship and actually allowed it to develop instead of restaining to the "we're just friends" cr@p forever and had lots of other stuff I'd never have dared to see in a Disney (!) show.

Oh, and by the way, "Deadly Force" aired several times on German TV, and I don't think it was edited. However, German TV never realized the show did have a particular airing order for a reason, so they would always air an episode featuring MacBeth before his actual debut episode with every rerun and other "funny" non-orders like that. :(
Looking for a complete Energon Sky Shadow (from Superion Maximus).
Offering: Binaltech Hound, Swindle, Ravage (Corvette), Skids.
Can buy in stores: Robot Heroes Tigatron/Inferno, Ricochet/Predaking.
CounterPunch
Protoform

Post by CounterPunch »

absolutely brilliant show, havent seen it in years and am trying to get some episode downloads, but i can only find a smattering of episodes that are good quality
Hawkeye
Protoform

Post by Hawkeye »

yeah i was dlin these of kazaa lite with pretty good results....then i had to format my pc and now kazaa cracked down on kazaa lite downloads and i cant get it anywhere:(

maybe a direct connect disney hub?
Image . "Hawkeye's the best! Hawkeye's got the cutest eyes! Hawkeye's got some kinda butt! I swear, Ralph, ever since that blowhard joined up, all I hear is Hawkeye, Hawkeye, Hawk...."- Green Arrow, JLA/Avengers #3.
*sig (once again) generously made by Denyer*
Alpha Trion
Protoform

Post by Alpha Trion »

I can't wait for the season 1 box set coming out next year.

This is the best news I've heard all day. I'd like to see several other mid-90s Disney cartoons see DVD release, but Gargoyles was the best of them all. I still have the "movie" on VHS, which was just the first 3 episodes.
archie321

Post by archie321 »

OMG!!! ''wispering to self'' so im not alone :laugh:
Lord Decepticon
Protoform

Gargoyles had its fair share of villians

David Xanatos (mister millionaire, buisness man, family man with so much tech. & brillance, we owe it to him for awakin' the gargoyles.)

Demona (wish she didnt use guns)

Thailog (Goliath's strength + Xanatos' genius = a monster, I just wish he didnt use guns)

The Arch Mage

The Pack

The Head Viking
KnownEnemy
Protoform

Post by KnownEnemy »

wow that show was old...all i remeber was when goliath went to avalon and met his daughter and faught along side with arthur. stopped watching it after that.
homerbot
Protoform

Post by homerbot »

im pretty sure i posted here but it says i didn't

i used to watch it and it was good
i occasionally catch it on whatever channel it is on now
Words suck. Down with words! -saysadie
To actually say which candidate has the better Iraq policy is like saying which Twinkie is more healthy. -Ultimate Weapon
I'd totally hit that Krystal chick...if she were real and sex with animals wasn't illegal. -Drspengler
TFArchive
Custom Title: King Lurker

Post by TFArchive »

I can't wait for the DVDs in Nov/Dec :)

I think Gargoyles was the first major cartoon to feature so many famous voices or maybe that was what made it major. But I guess that was back when Disney made good shows, hehe :(
--
Brendan Reilly
The Transformers Archive
http://tfarchive.com/
Wolfang

Post by Wolfang »

Think it'll get a DVD release here in Blighty? That'd be another one to add to the collection, methinks...
"I hold to a simple philosophy: assume everyone's a piece of c*** and then be pleasantly surprised if you find people who ain't."