[Original RPG] Favourite RPG moments

Got a story idea, or something you'd like to chat about?
Warcry

Favourite RPG moments

Post by Warcry »

We hadn't had a thread like this in bloody ages, so I figured...

What with being back and all, I've thought a bit over the last couple weeks about some of the moments that have really made this game special for me. I've been at it a while, so I've seen more than a few interesting things, but one or two really stick in my mind. It kinda sorta made me wonder what the rest of you guys would single out as your favourite moments of the Archive's RPG.

I guess this is mostly a topic for old coots like me, but hopefully we've been able to give the newer players a few times to remember, too.

Here's a couple of mine to get things started.

1) About...hell, four years ago now, Squeezeplay and Roadbuster met in battle on the outskirts of Autobot City. What resulted might just be the most brutal one-on-one fight scene we've ever had in the RPG. Lasting nine days and twenty-four posts, it involved thousands of rounds of spent ammunition, countless serious lacerations, one amputated hand and what passes for amateur brain surgery. Oh, and one dead Headmaster, naturally. :)

2) After getting shot down by the Autobot air force, Ramjet crashed through Fortress Maximus' main viewport, through the helm console and into the bridge. And then he got up and headbutted Fortress in the face. Class.

Sure, he got the crap kicked out of him right after that, but it is Ramjet, after all.

3) The Ultra Magnus/Scorponok confrontation on the Golden Gate bridge, which helped to further cement San Francisco's reputation as the Transformers universe's designated whipping boy.

4) After the Autobots recovered a brainwashed Hound from the Decepticons, he and Pinpointer discussed philosophy and the Autobot code. Meanwhile, Crosshairs prepared to take Hound down. I don't think I've had an opportunity to use any other fleshling even half as much as Pinpointer was in that one scene.

5) Astrotrain and Octane's chat in A-Train's office just after Octane was brought back from the dead. Just because it reminds me of how far things have come since the game started all those years ago...

I've got a lot more (including some that don't involve my characters in some way), but I've typed enough just now. How's about you guys? Which scenes really stick in your mind? :)
optimusskids
Protoform

Post by optimusskids »

Pounce vs Brave Maximus' Sludge in the Desert

There was a whole Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon thing going on.

Weirdwolf and Carnivac go to Hollywood I had lots of fun with that scenario running around a movie studio and causing general havoc.
Brave Maximus

Post by Brave Maximus »

Originally posted by optimusskids
Pounce vs Brave Maximus' Sludge in the Desert

There was a whole Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon thing going on.

Heh, that was a lot of fun actually

Some of my favourite moments in the RPG have been the really good battles I've had, where I've either chatted over AIM or PM with the other side of it - it's come off looking (at least, in my minds eye) really amazing.

I had fun having a 7 foot micromaster tell off Prime - that was great.

It's kind of wierd. I've been playing the game for... 3 years or so now - and my characters have always been on the fringes...
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

1) The Third Battle of Autobot City. That whole thing was just plain fun.

2) The race between Roadhandler and Big Daddy in Colorado. I feel that was some of my most solid (but short) character work, and Bombshell's portrayal of Big Daddy was really spot on to make it all happen.

3) Spectro's capture. It was so much fun thinking up the cognitive effects the distance would have on Reflector. "Not fault!"

4) Jazz versus Blitzwing in Tokyo. It was great to finally have a fight where Jazz got to jump around a bunch. (Fighting Octopunch at the Ark was good too, but he got whooped too quick to do much breakdancing.) This was especially good when contrasted with Magnus versus Scorponok, which was just titanic snot-kickin' brutality. As an aside, I'm surprised San Fransisco made it out of that one.

5) The ongoing relationship between Gigatron and Hatemonger. Hatemonger made for a very credible foil and added a lot of insider politics to the Decepticon power struggle that could have been cheap and thin otherwise. The resolution, with Hatemonger becoming one of Gigatron's most trusted generals, was absolute icing on the cake.

6) Octane's ghost confronting Starscream on some Cybertron-bound ship and reenacting Ghost in the Machine (or whichever it was) with the roles reversed. Fun. I also enjoyed Astrotrain's mourning of Octane's death.

7) Although it was antiquated and certainly subpar acting by today's standards, I have a soft spot for the Second Battle of Autobot City. It was a defining moment for the RPG. I believe it was Roadbuster versus Dirge near the end of the fight that made for an excellent duel.

And probably one or two things that involved someone else's characters. ;)
Ravage
Protoform

Post by Ravage »

Man too many.

1- Any of the large scale battles. They have just been a blast as of late.

2- I can admit alot of this will be Hatemonger stuff as he is my boy... bot... con if you will. Hatemonger vs Prime or Grimlock or Blitzwing. Or the confintation with Teratron when Dominator tried to interfere and Hatemonger destroyed his old friend and ally to keep true to his sense of honor and warrior code. I am sure there is more than that as well.

3- Cryotek screwing around in Metroplex's head during the raid to get parts for the con cities.

4- New Predaking vs all Autobot comers. I gotta thank Elcor for letting me get the new more powerful Predaking over by his more or less annilation of the Technobots in that battle then the awesome battle with Omega Supreme.

Just too many cool things to count, the Unicron battle and I am sure there are more I can't remember :)
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Reflector
3) Spectro's capture. It was so much fun thinking up the cognitive effects the distance would have on Reflector. "Not fault!"
Snarl didn't think it was so funny when he tried to interrogate the bugger... ;)
As an aside, I'm surprised San Fransisco made it out of that one.
We'll get it next time. :)
6) Octane's ghost confronting Starscream on some Cybertron-bound ship and reenacting Ghost in the Machine (or whichever it was) with the roles reversed.
I keep hearing about that, but I can't seem to find it anywhere...

Originally posted by optimusskids
Weirdwolf and Carnivac go to Hollywood I had lots of fun with that scenario running around a movie studio and causing general havoc.
That was one of the awesomest things ever. :D
Reflector

Post by Reflector »

8)
Originally quipped by Chase
"Sweet zombie Primus,"
Add one to the list.
Originally posted by Warcry
I keep hearing about that, but I can't seem to find it anywhere...
http://tfarchive.com/community/showthre ... #post15092
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Reflector
Add one to the list.
If I was going for accuracy it should have been "sweet zombie Last Autobot", but that just doesn't have the same ring to it... :)
Awesomeness. :cool:
God Jinrai
Protoform

Post by God Jinrai »

... well, I'm probably going to get death stares and threats for this but...

When I'd decided prime needed his reset button pushed... and in doing so, forfeiting control of him, I had the weapon he'd carried around... what he thought was an inert, deceased megatron, trapped in his gun mode, come to life... just before prime and grimlock were about to throw down... the crap that came after that, I think was, if nothing else, one of my better moments.

Also, Ginrai vs the Combiner Elimination Squad....

as Ginrai's gonna be gone when this arc's all said and done.

though... I've ALSO been told by at least one person...that THIS might be one of my finer bits of gaming:

http://tfarchive.com/community/showthre ... genumber=3

about a quarter to half-way down the page, you'll know it when you see it.
Ulcrain
Protoform

Post by Ulcrain »

Considering how far we have gotten, I think this thread needs to be revived. Here we go!

Here one instantly, Overkill rupturing Talons fuel tank and blowing up his circits. even if it melted his head.
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Smokescreen's redemption equals death. Epic.

Also, I like very much Astrotrain and Gigatron's conversation in the ruins of Tarn. Probably the best conversation I've ever seen.
Ulcrain
Protoform

Post by Ulcrain »

Yeah, I forgot about Smokescreens death, doubles as one of the saddest moments in the RPGs history.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Wow, this thread is old. I totally forgot about it.
Blackjack wrote:Also, I like very much Astrotrain and Gigatron's conversation in the ruins of Tarn. Probably the best conversation I've ever seen.
This one was fun. :)

Another one for the list is the entirety of the Stanix expedition. The Decepticons being set upon by mutants at every turn, Cyclonus finally seeing his 'purpose', Megadeath and Galvatron struggling for control of their shared body and then finally Thunderwing and his army dropping down on everyone and turning the plot on it's ear. I don't think the RPG had ever seen a survival-horror scenario before, and casting a group of Decepticons as the protagonists instead of Autobots made it even more fun. Ruckus and Barrage shooting everything that moved was especially great.

Who else was there? I remember Cyclonus, Squawktalk, Barrage, Venom, Flywheels and a poor NPC that they kidnapped because he used to live there, but I know there were more 'Cons than that. I think Skullcruncher was there too, and somehow made it back alive even though I'm pretty sure I intended for him to be dead at the time.

[EDIT]And Roadblock too! How'd I forget about him?
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Ah, Barrage! I don't think I had ever enjoyed writing anyone who's basically 'SHOOT EVERYTHING' without the craziness to make it fun. I loved the Stanix thread. And, zombies! Everything is better with zombies. :D

I also like that conversation between Laserbeak and Wingthing while pecking around corpses. Probably I'm biased to it (and I don't think anyone remembers it) but it's the first RP scene I've ever did, so...

Soundwave and Starscream reaching an agreement, sort of, is one of my favourite scenes as well.
Chip1123
Protoform

Post by Chip1123 »

Granted I haven't been around as long as others, but been around enough to see several fun and surprising times.

I enjoyed the Stanix expedition and the mutants, and not knowing the behind the scenes machinations in the work, was quite surprised with where that story went. Another good story I enjoyed was the time Menasor decided to attack Iacon, and a ragtag bunch of troops had to hold the line until reinforcements arrived.

But my favorite moment in the RPG so far was the confrontation in Debris between the Wreckers and Springer. The whole thing, to me, was dripping with tension and had years of payoff built into it. And stuck in the middle was poor Topspin, trying to make sure Whirl and the others didn't decide to murder Springer right then and there.
No Reserves, No Retreats, and No Regrets!!!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

I'll toss in my own personal favorites later, but first...
Warcry wrote: Another one for the list is the entirety of the Stanix expedition. The Decepticons being set upon by mutants at every turn, Cyclonus finally seeing his 'purpose', Megadeath and Galvatron struggling for control of their shared body and then finally Thunderwing and his army dropping down on everyone and turning the plot on it's ear. I don't think the RPG had ever seen a survival-horror scenario before, and casting a group of Decepticons as the protagonists instead of Autobots made it even more fun. Ruckus and Barrage shooting everything that moved was especially great.
The stuff leading up to the Stanix expedition wasn't too bad either. I particularly liked Cyclonus's recurring conversations with the dead.

The Stanix threads were a lot of fun to write -- and read, for that matter. I may have dropped that whole 'oppressed people' (or whatever the hell I was shooting for) sub-plot that's only vaguely hinted at in the beginning, but it's just as well. It would've detracted from what Cyclonus was there to do, and that's where all the focus needed to be. It was Cyclonus's story.

It was just knock-about fun. That was pretty much my mindset when I came up with the idea of working Megadeath into it, and at the time it seemed like a good way to end Cyclonus's journey.

But, yeah, a lot of great moments in those two threads. I'm especially fond of the exchanges between Megadeath, Cyclonus and Galvatron -- they're freakin' fantastic, if I do say so myself (though, I could've tried a bit harder with the infraspace scenes). I also agree that the storyline would not have been nearly as interesting (and fun) had the Autobots been involved (and honestly, I don't know how they could've without it coming across as intrusive).
Blackjack

Post by Blackjack »

Chip1123 wrote:But my favorite moment in the RPG so far was the confrontation in Debris between the Wreckers and Springer. The whole thing, to me, was dripping with tension and had years of payoff built into it. And stuck in the middle was poor Topspin, trying to make sure Whirl and the others didn't decide to murder Springer right then and there.
Ooo, that's one fantastic moment, innit? Especially with the buildup in the Crystal City thread (that holo-battle is pretty fun too, come to think of it...).

To be fair, I had no idea what Whirl was going to do as well; I just went with the flow alongside you and Springer85 and Heinrad. Man, I miss Whirl :(

What about Grimlock beating up a Decepticon-themed bar in Iacon? That's so random it's awesome.
Ulcrain
Protoform

Post by Ulcrain »

The final battle at the Sonic Canyons against the Space Mafia. Awsome in every way.
Springer85
Protoform

Post by Springer85 »

Chip1123 wrote: But my favorite moment in the RPG so far was the confrontation in Debris between the Wreckers and Springer. The whole thing, to me, was dripping with tension and had years of payoff built into it. And stuck in the middle was poor Topspin, trying to make sure Whirl and the others didn't decide to murder Springer right then and there.
That was probably my most favorite moment in my time in the old RPG too. :)
Aspiring DJ!
Visit my channel at Soundcloud, Youtube or Facebook and let me know what you think!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Blackjack wrote:Soundwave and Starscream reaching an agreement, sort of, is one of my favourite scenes as well.
I'll never be able to truly enjoy that scene for what it is, because any time I see something I wrote for Starscream it just reminds me how circumstances conspired to keep Clogs away during Starscream's finest moments and how much more she would have enjoyed it than me. :(
Chip1123 wrote:But my favorite moment in the RPG so far was the confrontation in Debris between the Wreckers and Springer. The whole thing, to me, was dripping with tension and had years of payoff built into it. And stuck in the middle was poor Topspin, trying to make sure Whirl and the others didn't decide to murder Springer right then and there.
:up:

I remain genuinely surprised that Springer was able to walk away from that encounter, instead of needing to be carried away and reassembled by medics with watchmaking tools. So I'd say Topspin did a bang-up job. :)
zigzagger wrote:The stuff leading up to the Stanix expedition wasn't too bad either. I particularly liked Cyclonus's recurring conversations with the dead.

The Stanix threads were a lot of fun to write -- and read, for that matter. I may have dropped that whole 'oppressed people' (or whatever the hell I was shooting for) sub-plot that's only vaguely hinted at in the beginning, but it's just as well. It would've detracted from what Cyclonus was there to do, and that's where all the focus needed to be. It was Cyclonus's story.

It was just knock-about fun. That was pretty much my mindset when I came up with the idea of working Megadeath into it, and at the time it seemed like a good way to end Cyclonus's journey.
I have to admit that Cyclonus has been slowly becoming my favourite character over the course of the few years that his storyline has been running. For the first year or so that I used him I wasn't really sure what to do with him, because Galvatron was always so central to his character and with Galvatron gone Cyclonus himself just seemed...hollow. His whole story to date feels like someone coming to terms with the loss of a loved one who was a huge part of their life, but at the same time coming to terms with the fact that that loved one was a douchebag and they don't want to make the same mistakes. I've come to see Galvatron as an abusive father figure to Cyclonus, and Cyc as the son who's finally learning to step out of dad's shadow to chase his own (heroic?) destiny. I think I'm going to miss him more than all of my other characters combined once the story is over. :(

But none of that would have happened if the characters he'd interacted with hadn't picked up on the changes within him and slowly started to treat him differently. Blackjack and opskids especially have helped me play this up with the way Scorponok and Gigatron have treated the guy. The differences between a proper leader like Gigatron and a crazy, abusive piece of crap like Galvatron have been especially enlightening for Cyclonus, and helped to shape him into who he's become (even if he does still half-expect to get shot for offering contradictory advice or trying to take the lead in a situation). A lot of other players have contributed too (some of whom are no longer here) so I'll just say thanks and leave it at that. :)