A question for the Canadians

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Warcry

Re: A question for the Canadians

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by LiquifiedTiger
If you are called Canadians...why isn't Canada called Canadia?

EH??? EHHHHHH???
I hope you enjoy all the rabid beavers I sent you.

It's called Canada because the Americans gave up on conquering us after getting soundly wupped about a million times by militia, Indians, and the British.

CANADA RULES!
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Holy **** warcry you live in Winnipeg?!

*GASP*
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

No one in Winnipeg is really alive...
Actually, I live a few miles out of town, away from that fetid, urine-soaked, Indian-gang filled biker haven.
Thank god!
axio
Protoform

Post by axio »

no one said "eh" :(
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Originally posted by Warcry
No one in Winnipeg is really alive...
Actually, I live a few miles out of town, away from that fetid, urine-soaked, Indian-gang filled biker haven.
Thank god!

True true, place is filled with Indians, luckily not many in Transcona.;)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Sixswitch
Actually, it was named after a viking Warlord who's raiding party landed here, ages, and ages ago.
Hmmm... cool! In that case, it possibly derives from "flies over water" — still a little unusual as a place name, but makes a bit more sense now...
Originally posted by Sixswitch
Most Welsh people I think actually support bilingualism (is that a word)
Er, possibly. Biliguality is, I think.

I think it's a great idea, especially for households with a mix of Welsh and English speakers... but I do think it should have as easy an opt-out as there is for the Welsh versions; you aren't really going to spur anyone into learning the language by sending out double-sided forms and notices... okay, you pick up snippets of vocab, but there's nowt worse than people who claim that their traveller's grasp of a language makes them part of a culture...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Plasmodium

True true, place is filled with Indians, luckily not many in Transcona.;)
That's because you don't have enough sidewalks, and they get run over if they sleep in the streets.
Or, so I'd hope.
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer
but there's nowt worse than people who claim that their traveller's grasp of a language makes them part of a culture...
COuldn't agree more. Learning a language isn't something that can be forced on you. Personally, I'd like for everyone in Wales to be able to speak Welsh - but if they don't want to, then that's totally up to them. Not a whole hell of a lot that I can do about it anyway.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

That's because you don't have enough sidewalks, and they get run over if they sleep in the streets.
Or, so I'd hope.
:D
Sades

Post by Sades »

Erm... Denyer, I was actually aware that Canada is considered a part of America... hypocritical ignorance for the sake of jest is a rather bad habit that I shall have to break, especially now that I'm about to do this...

Or, so I'd hope.
Racism's fun, innit? daigai pakitisk. p'ah.

... Ooh, bitter medicine... Many apologies to anyone who may have taken offense to my remark, it will not happen again.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

It's a Winnipeg thing. I don't enjoy it, but it's kinda an obligation. Seriously, it's a bad habit. I wish I could stop...:o :( :o :(
Sades

Post by Sades »

It's a Winnipeg thing. I don't enjoy it, but it's kinda an obligation. Seriously, it's a bad habit. I wish I could stop...
Sure looked like you were enjoying it before you realized that, yes, some of us can, in fact, operate a computer better than a barroom VLT...

And you can stop. I just did. I'm pretty damned ashamed that it took this to get me to stop, but it's a lesson learned, and one that will not soon be forgotten.

You've just sunk to bottom in my eyes, friend. Whether or not you stay there is up to you. Do me a tremendous favor and leave it in Winnipeg, 'kay?
Blaster_86

Post by Blaster_86 »

Are all people from Winnipeg Racists Tw*ts or is it just you two?
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by saysadie
Erm... Denyer, I was actually aware that Canada is considered a part of America... hypocritical ignorance for the sake of jest is a rather bad habit that I shall have to break, especially now that I'm about to do this...
What? No, I was typing my thought processes 'aloud' and agreeing with ye, m'dear...

I find it bloody stupid that an official dictionary lists two factually contradictory meanings. It's sloppy use of language.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Originally posted by Blaster_86
Remember ****storm? He was from Winnipeg, he was racist, I dont think Transfan is, so I guess a majority of us are.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Blaster_86
The 'Peg is one of the worst cities in North America for racism. I think at least 80% of the people I meet here are as bad as me or worse. I could tell you stories, but most of them don't deserve to see the light of day.

But, if Saysadie can stop, I guess I can too. I'll try.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

But, if Saysadie can stop, I guess I can too. I'll try.
Ya, best if you try to stop, else youll get banned like I did for racist comments, just dont say em.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Ya, best if you try to stop, else youll get banned like I did for racist comments, just dont say em.
Sh*t like that is pointless anyway, if it only pisses people off. Damned right I won't say it.
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Sh*t like that is pointless anyway, if it only pisses people off. Damned right I won't say it.
Yup yup, keeping it to yourself is good. :D
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Yup yup, keeping it to yourself is good. :D
You're having a racist thought right now, aren't you?