An Interview with Optimus Prime!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

And people say I'm a freak!
This man should be locked up, somewhere with rubber walls, so that he isn't a danger to himself or others!
Comparing screen names to this is like comparing someone who played Goldeneye on N64 with someone who opens fire at any Russian they happen to see on the streets!
Just because my screen name's Warcry doesn't mean that I run around all the time attacking people, or calling for war. Now, if I change my legal name from Geoff to Warcry, then you'd have a reason to worry!
I chose this screen name because it gives you guys an idea what I'm like, without getting to know me. If Sixshot or Blaster or some other character is a good way to describe you, then use it! If Denyer doesn't agree with that then fine. Using your real name is telling me something already.
Changing your name to Op is just wrong, though. Even if this man thinks that he is like Optimus Prime, he still isn't, no matter what he calls himself. Just because a cat wants to call itself a mongoose, doesn't mean that it is a mongoose.
I'm not going to change my name to Warcry any time soon, and I doubt that Defender, Kickback, Pun-3x, Sixshot, or Redstreak are going to adopt their screen names of-line, either!
This man needs help, and it's sad that he feels that he needed to...I can't find the words to describe how bizarre what he did was, but I think you know where I stand on this!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Originally posted by Warcry
And people say I'm a freak!
Hey, maybe they're justified...
Comparing screen names to this is like comparing someone who played Goldeneye on N64 with someone who opens fire at any Russian they happen to see on the streets!
No, it isn't. That would be 'Dilbert Logic'... making an assumptive and daft comparison between two very dissimilar things, then trying to make them seem 'obvious' with the argument, "Well, it just is!" and waving your arms around...
Changing your name to Op is just wrong, though. Even if this man thinks that he is like Optimus Prime, he still isn't, no matter what he calls himself.
I think it's pretty sodding guaranteed that he recognises this. Look, if you were a blonde female and your name was 'Jade' right now in the UK, you'd probably be trying to change it too. The reaction you'd get from calling yourself 'Xena' would be a huge relief by comparison.
Just because a cat wants to call itself a mongoose, doesn't mean that it is a mongoose.
More really daft logic. What's an 'Optimus Prime', especially since the name has been re-used so many times? A leader. My forename means 'steward', or 'trusted retainer to a leader'... it's no more stupid an appellation. It makes no sense for a cat to call itself a mongoose, but it could perfectly reasonably call itself Mongoose... do you understand the difference?
This man needs help
Yes, I'm sure he'd appreciate it if aliens took you away...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Originally posted by Stuart Denyer

Yes, I'm sure he'd appreciate it if aliens took you away...
That's harsh, man.
And since he's in command of the Ark, he could do it himself, couldn't he?
And here I thought that Moderator meant that you were moderate.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

That's harsh, man.
Well, I thought it was in about the same vein of seriousness as your own comment...
And here I thought that Moderator meant that you were moderate.
:D :D :D :D :D

Thanks, I needed that laugh... although I'm pretty darned moderate compared to people who think others need psychiatric attention or are "just wrong" because of their names...
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Obviously your sarcasm detector needs to be adjusted, Denyer. I think you take this discussion more seriously than it was meant to. I was under the impression that Sixshot started this off as a joke. I hope you realize that I don't take this seriously, so please don't take what I say so litterally. I'm only joking (most of the time, anyway)
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Nah, I just honestly fail to see what anyone's beef with this guy is... and I'm having just as much fun mimicking Dead End here as you appear to be... it's mildly unusual, but loads of people name their kids from TV characters, and even Transformers is less one-dimensional than Eastenders or mid-series Friends... and there are literally a generation of Xenas and Buffys out there...

"A flying car? How droll..."
Scout

Post by Scout »

awe... that's kind of cute! ;)
He is not.
He is Optimus Prime.

But as far as name changes... I wouldn't do it, but if it makes him happy, more power to him. Though I will say we bought a horse named Hot Rod and I looked after one named Hot Shot.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

OK, now that I'm over the shock of first reading this, I can see your point, Denyer. Perhaps insane was overstating it a little, but it is something I've never heard of, naming yourself after a TV character. Naming your kids that way is a little more common. Still, it's bizarre.
axio
Protoform

Post by axio »

I should rename myself Megatron and go battle him to the death
Plasmodium

Post by Plasmodium »

Originally posted by LiquifiedTiger
I should rename myself Megatron and go battle him to the death
No, I call dibs on that, see my previous post in this topic.
Defender
Protoform

Post by Defender »

I think there is something else that needs to be pointed out- The guy seems to have taken the name to show his hero, not because he thinks he is a transformer- big difference. He doesn't think he is "the" Optimus Prime, just "a" Optimus Prime.
I imagine that when Chiam Witz changed his name to honor an actress no one said boo- and now Gene Simmons is kind of a household name- at least in my house.
Def
"I got better things to do tonight than die."
-Springer, Autobot City