How popular are Licorice Allsorts?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

How popular are Licorice Allsorts?

Post by Sades »

I'm just curious. Are they a popular candy where you are?

I remember growing up seeing these in the cupboard on occasion, throwing them out after finding them in my Halloween bag (along with the Halloween kisses *retch*), and seeing my parents give them to people, but I've never actually seen anyone eating them. I myself have never bought them. Nor will I. They are not good.

And, why not- what is your least favourite candy and why.
Hound

Re: How popular are Licorice Allsorts?

Post by Hound »

She's bugged me to post an answer even though she knows that I hate licorice. Someone else interact with her so I can go back to watching Youtube!
Sades

Post by Sades »

IT'S NOT MY FAULT YOU DON'T KNOW WHEN I'M BEING FACETIOUS :p americans
Hound

Post by Hound »

I'm beggin guys, help me out!
Sades

Post by Sades »

I hate you :laugh:
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Licorice Allsorts are very much a popular candy (or sweet, as us Brits have it) where we are. My Dad loves them. I like them, but don't make a habit of buying them. I remember trying licorice root once, which was nice.

Things I don't like? Hmm. Walnut Whips. They're chocolate with cream inside and a walnut on top. They look like the turd emoji, but without the jolly face. There's some old fashioned boiled sweets I can't remember the name of that taste kind of medicinal. They're red and taste of antiseptic. WIsh I could remember what they're called. Those are awful.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Probably cough candy. I like, personally. Favourite boiled sweets are rhubarb & custard though.

I like liquorice, and salmiak (which contains ammonium chloride) -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salty_liquorice -- and stronger flavours in general.

Least favourite are irish moss (the Jamaican-style drink; maybe it's better handmade, but the stuff in cans is vile), and sesame halva.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Licorice? Licorice? Errrgh yuck! Piers Anthony got it spot, having Smash Ogre eat his way out of his all-time nightmare: licorice horse poop.

I have to confess, though, that since I got my hands (briefly) on real chocolate - the real deal - the handmade stuff - I don't like anything else. I sincerely hope our local artisan shop, Cocoa Amore, survived the Cosmic Rust or I'll never be able to eat chocolate of any type again.

Skyquake: you mean Fisherman's Friends?
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Licorice Allsorts
Yuck. My father absolutely loved them and I absolutely cannot fathom why. I don't like black licorice to begin with, but the junk they do to these candies only seems to make it less appealing. I'd say this is a good front-runner for least favourite, for me. I may have run into something worse, but if I did it wasn't constantly around to remind me how much I disliked it!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Clogs, not Fisherman's (which are quite nice). Think Denyer's got it. They're one of those old timey sweets you get from old fashioned sweet shops where everything's in jars. A person dressed like a chemist then appears and scoops some out into some scales (old ones, done in pounds and ounces) and gives you them in a paper bag and you pay in shillings and pence. That was a bit too descriptive, but it's how I used to buy Midget Gems and that. (Pre-decimal currency optional). Nom nom.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

They've got them in Tesco too, along with chocolate limes and other somewhat retro stuff.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Chocolate Limes. Such a grandma sweet.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

“A person dressed like a chemist then appears and scoops some out into some scales (old ones, done in pounds and ounces) and gives you them in a paper bag and you pay in shillings and pence.”

Ye gods, that’s expensive. I used to pay 3d for a bag of sweets out of the jar that’d last all week!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

That's what you get for buying from Mr Kipling. Exceedingly good my arse.

I've just remembered the body horror advert Bassett's used to do for their Licorice Allsorts. For the uninitiated, Bassett's (purveyors of confectionary) had a mascot called Bertie Bassett and he was made out of licorice allsorts. They had an advert that went "One too many and you might turn Bertie", where people's heads turned into Bertie Bassetts if they had too many of their licorice allsorts. A far cry from the actual body horror of tooth decay and diabetes, but frightening nonetheless.
Sades

Post by Sades »

I can't do black licorice. I do like cinnamon candies, though. Or the occasional Werther's Original.

I like this stuff too, I just don't get why they call it "eating licorice". :laugh:

https://www.londondrugs.com/capricorn-r ... 26629.html

I'm not fond of the texture- it's got that soft, sticky feel that sticks to your teeth, yuck. But the taste is nice enough to me that I can overlook the bleh texture.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Sades

Post by Sades »

It seems really counter-productive to have an oven capable of shooting out six-foot flames when you're primarily made of sugar. Or, um, anything even a bit flammable :o
RobertCorbett
Protoform

Post by RobertCorbett »

I started with the pieces that seemed the most familiar. The plain black licorice pieces were nice. Extra soft, with a good doughy consistency and strong molasses taste. They’re sweet, but not in a sugary way, more in that herbal way that licorice is.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

http://www.candyblog.net/blog/item/licorice_allsorts

The bots are contributing more on-topic discussion than most people who post here, aren't they?
Sades

Post by Sades »

Soon this will all be bots. But at least we know the stellar conversations will continue...?

We need a chatty smart bot to engage in conversation with the other bots.