Chat Thread

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

Post by Sades »

There are definitely bigger issues. But (and this is just me) on an everyday level, I don't worry about that. That's not to say that I haven't thought about what could happen, Hound and I have talked about things like that before. Hell, we talk about everything from war to "terrorist attacks" (we live in a city with a military presence and somewhat near one of those big malls named on that video that was in the news recently) to natural disasters. But I don't think it serves much practical purpose to worry about something I can't do much about. Other people being stupid, insensitive dickheads who live in a bubble? Hell yes. I have to live around these people. My kid could bring one home. Or worse, could BE one.
Denyer wrote: Have I missed something?
Was referring to this bit from the article:

"Unsurprisingly, friends of mine who have shared Nimoy’s Full Body Project on social media in the wake of his death have found their accounts suspended and their content deleted. It’s a testament to how necessary and radical Nimoy’s statement “I asked them to be proud” really is – how can we expect fat people to be proud when the mere existence of our bodies is classified as an obscenity? How can you even begin to see us as human beings if our physical presence in the world is offensive?"

Also, I should probably add that I'm not trying to blame or judge anyone for being fat. People are fat for different reasons, whether they're being lazy (like me, that's why I'm fat. I have to work my ass off (heh) to be thin, and that's just not my bag right now. That, and carbs are delicious.) or taking meds that make it easier for them to gain weight, or some sort of internal problem, whatever. If a person is judging you for being fat, then you probably didn't want to know that jerkface anyway. But it isn't healthy, and people should be aware of that.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sades wrote:Was referring to this bit from the article:
Missed that particular bit of idiocy.

The blonde's quite hot, as far as body shape and my personal taste runs to (not that that has much to do with anything, or those involved would or should care). A very rough rule of thumb might be whether someone's genitalia have disappeared under folds. Folds of skin rubbing together are rarely good in any context in which they're on the same person, nor are enabling or denial at that point.

Protein's also delicious, I've found. Taste seems to come back after cutting down on sugar.
Warcry wrote:Or maybe I'm just oversensitive because I struggle with my weight all the time, can never seem to find the time for as much physical activity as I'd like and get really annoyed when people fatter than me tell me not to bother and that I should "love myself the way I am".
Mmm. 12kg in extra weight (such as a vest) is uncomfortable for much time, personally, and that's less than 2 stone but has a noticeable effect on breathing and movement. Hit 30-ish with not-crippling injuries, more out of shape than overweight and realised it was time to start paying attention. It's nice being able to bend over and pick things up without referred pain, but it does require some active self-maintenance and is unlikely to ever become optional.

It's annoying to see/hear wild over-correction in messages because first hand experience suggests that weight loss takes a while. Losing weight that took years to accumulate is likewise not going to be a quick fix, but it's the same as the trite platitude "the best time to plant a tree is years ago, the second best is today".
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Warcry wrote:I feel the same way a lot, but I think the truth is that most people have always been that useless. But the internet allows everyone to broadcast their banal thoughts and opinions to the world at large, now, and it makes it much harder to just ignore it. And since people tend to herd together online with like-thinking folks, it's led to the creation of massive echo-chambers where even the stupidest ideas will meet with massive positive reinforcement if you choose the right audience).

The scary thing is that important decision-makers are actually listening to what people say in those online echo-chambers, instead of ignoring the masses and doing whatever the hell they want like they used to. Politicians taking their marching orders from trendy hashtags is just about the worst thing I can imagine.

This certainly doesn't help. Neither does the fact that most of us now live a sedentary lifestyle, driving to and from work where we sit at a desk for eight hours a day. Our bodies aren't really designed for either. However, if we don't want to die from complications of obesity before we turn 50, we need to choose our diet carefully and find the time for at least some exercise. And if we choose not to, that's not society's fault, it's ours. Just because we're given the opportunity to eat processed garbage 24/7 and sit on our butts doesn't mean we have to, and normalizing it is dangerous.

Or maybe I'm just oversensitive because I struggle with my weight all the time, can never seem to find the time for as much physical activity as I'd like and get really annoyed when people fatter than me tell me not to bother and that I should "love myself the way I am".

People who reposted Nimoy's photos on Facebook after he died wound up getting their accounts closed because...well, because they're posting nude photos on a site that doesn't allow them. What did they think would happen?
If you're not able to find enough time for physical activity, do what I do/did.

WALK.

I was 198 at some point in time and I was already fine with my body, overweight as I was. However, the bus service pissed me off one day when it never went to the stop I used to go to school. I decided that, instead of giving them my money, I would walk to school. It was an hour walk.
Long story short, as that was a year ago, I am now at less than 160. Just find time to walk. Whether it's to school or work, if the distance isn't unreasonable. Simply 2 hours a day will do wonders, you'll get fresh air, and now I actually have women approaching me more often.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

May be slightly less appealing/practical for those with more of a family life. I absolutely prefer public transport in and walking back when the weather's not completely shit and I've got time, though. A bit over three miles, or five if weather's really nice and long way around plus hills.

A small country does have some pluses.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Denyer wrote:May be slightly less appealing/practical for those with more of a family life. I absolutely prefer public transport in and walking back when the weather's not completely shit and I've got time, though. A bit over three miles, or five if weather's really nice and long way around plus hills.

A small country does have some pluses.
I suppose that's true. I don't mind finding the extra hour to walk, myself. Having a family might hurt the ability to do so.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Hound

Post by Hound »

I wish I could walk to work but it would take hours for me and it's winter in Canada right now so... no. If we lived closer to my job I would certainly walk to work in the summer. That would be so pleasant.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Walked a lot more when we had a baby, TBH. Our's is at toddler the stage where she can walk, but not at any sort of pace in any sort of direction for a particularly long segment of time and yet won't play ball with the pushchair while also being too wriggly to carry.
Sades

Post by Sades »

We used to go to the mall and mallwalk, but that makes it far too easy to spend money we don't have. So, we usually just stay at home, especially when it's cold outside.

I want to take her outside to play, but our complex is full of morons who don't clean up after their dogs. Dog shit everywhere. They think because the snow covers it that it isn't an issue... then the spring comes.

I can't wait till we have a yard.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

Having a yard is awesome, even if it's small. It's nice to have a place to relax, and we grow a small garden in ours as well.
Slayer-Fan123 wrote:I was 198 at some point in time and I was already fine with my body, overweight as I was. However, the bus service pissed me off one day when it never went to the stop I used to go to school. I decided that, instead of giving them my money, I would walk to school. It was an hour walk.
Tried that once. Turns out that work was a three-hour walk away from home back then, one way. We live even farther out now. Also, like Hound says...winter in Canada. Even getting off the bus a few stops early and walking for fifteen minutes can be very unpleasant four or five months of the year. :(

That said, I do try to get out and walk around our neighbourhood as much as I can, especially in the summertime. And the nice thing about where we live is that there's lots of parks nearby, and lots of quiet residential streets to bike down. It's just working up the motivation to go out and do it after a hard day of work can be tough. I'm getting better at it though, I think.
Sades

Post by Sades »

We have a gym membership, have had for about a month now... and the gym has a daycare that costs less than $5 an hour. I'm just a lazyass.

Though some of my hesitation is wrapped up in leaving my little. I know it'd probably do her some good to get away from me, possibly to play with other kids even (which she hasn't gotten much of a chance to do this past winter, not since before Christmas probably) but it stresses me out.

We have new neighbours moving in. And they're young, ugh. My only hope is that they don't smoke any of their smokables inside. I will probably start setting booby traps or something if we have a repeat of "the weed incident".

[edit]The little is sitting in my lap, we're sort-of watching YouTube vids (mum keeps switching windows, darn her). She was finding the correlation between my typing and words appearing on screen really entertaining right now, so I thought I'd entertain her by typing this...
G1Optimusprime9
Protoform

Post by G1Optimusprime9 »

I am Pretty well in shape never really had to worry about losing weight
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sades

Post by Sades »

https://i.imgur.com/9hRi2jN.gifv

I need a squirrel. And a dog.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

A friend of mine was in New York last week, and amidst the pictures of iconic American building like The Apartment House From Friends (apparently not as close to Central Park as you'd think) he had a picture of a grey squirrel with a head of ginger hear. As if it had scalped a British squirrel and was now wearing it's head as a trophy to mock any tourists.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

G1Optimusprime9 wrote:I am Pretty well in shape never really had to worry about losing weight
I find it tricky to put weight on. Recently though I've been surprised to find that I am actually in quite good shape. Its been about a year since I started roller derby and a combination of that and protein shakes has bumped me up to a healthy 60kg (might not sound much but for most of my life I was basically a skeleton). I'm kind of taken aback by the transformation really, I'm stronger, fitter, faster and although I'm by no means muscley I'm well toned to the point where I have decent definition in my arms, abs, pecs and thighs.

Bit of a brag I know but for the first time I'm feeling ok about my appearance.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Nice one. A lot of the trick does seem to be overcoming inertia and discovering how much better than the alternative it feels.
G1Optimusprime9
Protoform

electro girl wrote:I find it tricky to put weight on. Recently though I've been surprised to find that I am actually in quite good shape. Its been about a year since I started roller derby and a combination of that and protein shakes has bumped me up to a healthy 60kg (might not sound much but for most of my life I was basically a skeleton). I'm kind of taken aback by the transformation really, I'm stronger, fitter, faster and although I'm by no means muscley I'm well toned to the point where I have decent definition in my arms, abs, pecs and thighs.

Bit of a brag I know but for the first time I'm feeling ok about my appearance.
I put on a bit of weight in mussle but I play Hockey so I have to work out.

But its very rewarding to feel strong.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sades

Post by Sades »

I wasted like 3 hours (including interruptions, feeding kid, etc) putting Frozen/winter birthday party decoration crap into my basket only to find that the website I was using didn't have a working Paypal button. Cue angerface.
G1Optimusprime9
Protoform

Sades wrote:I wasted like 3 hours (including interruptions, feeding kid, etc) putting Frozen/winter birthday party decoration crap into my basket only to find that the website I was using didn't have a working Paypal button. Cue angerface.
That sucks :down: :down: :down:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sades

Post by Sades »

You know, giving up the shitty forms of carbs is actually a bit harder than I thought it would be.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

inflatable dalek wrote:A friend of mine was in New York last week, and amidst the pictures of iconic American building like The Apartment House From Friends (apparently not as close to Central Park as you'd think) he had a picture of a grey squirrel with a head of ginger hear. As if it had scalped a British squirrel and was now wearing it's head as a trophy to mock any tourists.
:citation:
Wreck and Rule!