Happy Halloween!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.

Halloween

Handing out candy
27%
Turning off my porchlight and hiding from Trick or Treaters
13%
partying
13%
attending a children's event with my kids
20%
Obligatory "Other" option
27%

Total votes: 15

Sades

Happy Halloween!

Post by Sades »

So, whatcha doing?

I think it's fairly obvious what we're doing - Using our kid to collect candy for ourselves. We both have the day off, too. Which is nice, as it means we can do the Halloween thing as a family.

I seriously love this time of the year. It's just a shame that I don't have a house to hand out candy from.

You?
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
zigzagger

Post by zigzagger »

Low key this year. Just going to watch "bad" horror flicks and carve pumpkins with some friends.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

School is out today for quarter break, so the downtown trick-or-treating was done yesterday. Usually we have our church Halloween/Reformation Day party today, but we moved it with everyone else. Which means the pumpkins have already been exploded!

And as all my family is out of town except me and my 12 year old (who wants to go trick-or-treating with friends), I get to sit back and hand out/sample candy. And today's high was only 40 (-37 C), so I'm not expecting a whole lot of traffic. Which is why I bought only candy I like!
Sades

Post by Sades »

Did the Halloween thing. Don't think I've ever posted a picture of the small one here? Here's some Halloween shots. She was a dragon! We tried to get her to say "Trick or Treat", she said "Tickle, tickle" instead. :lol:

Yes, that is a carved apple. I developed the sudden urge to carve something after trick or treating and we'd neglected to pick up a pumpkin, so we went to the convenience store and brought home an apple to carve. Hound was all "Pfff, you can't carve an apple"; "I can do anything", I said. :p Babes is eating the bits I carved out of the apple in two of the pics. Apparently it was a very exciting apple.

EDIT: Picture *poofs* . Rainbow sparkles everywhere. Rabbits bound out of hats, and all of that neat shiz right there. I didn't want to leave it up too long because internet. :)

(trick or treating: we just went around the mall, made a token attempt at getting candy, and bought her ice cream. Let's face it, the trick or treating business at this age is just an excuse to dress up and show off our adorbs kid)

Notabot wrote:today's high was only 40 (-37 C)
40 F = 4 C, according to Google... :) I wish it'd been that warm here today, we might have gone somewhere other than the mall for trick or treating!
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Dead Man Wade

Post by Dead Man Wade »

Took the Monster trick-or-treating for the first time, as she was only three weeks old last year. It was the first really cold day of the year, wouldn't you know, so we took her just to our immediate neighbors' houses. Unfortunately, hardly any of them were giving out candy, so we wound up taking her to all of five houses.

Still, though, she had fun, and was cute as can be.

On a related note, Sades, your kid is adorable. Just saying.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

I had 3 options this year and they all fell through so I just sat at home and drank.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I stood in a carpark talking to Denyer as one of us (I will leave an air of mystery and suspense as to who) shouted "****" as a small child walked past them.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Tantrum
Custom Title: Systems Analyst

Post by Tantrum »

I went to a concert to see Gwell-o, a GWAR/Green Jell-o tribute band that I like (which I considered partying for the poll). All the members wore GWAR type outfits, homemade from foam and duct tape. They had more people in similar armor having mock battles in the crowd, complete with foam and tape organs for disembowling. Then again, they do that every show. The only downside was that the concert was in Worcester, MA, which is about 1.5 hours away from me, so I didn't get home until 3:30.

I left a bucket of Tootsie-Roll pops on my front porch for the trick or treaters. I didn't leave too many, though. A couple years ago I wasn't feeling well, so I left the bucket full of candy outside while I laid down. I heard a little rustling, went out to check, and some kid(s) had taken all the candy. I didn't want to reward that kind of behavior, so I didn't leave too much for them to take. Hopefully a few decent kids got one each before the jerks came.
Alleged "poems"
that don't follow a rhyme scheme
are not poetry
Sades

Post by Sades »

inflatable dalek wrote:I stood in a carpark talking to Denyer as one of us (I will leave an air of mystery and suspense as to who) shouted "****" as a small child walked past them.
I can only say "*" four times clearly if I do it slowly, that must have been one slow kid.
Dead Man Wade wrote:
On a related note, Sades, your kid is adorable. Just saying.
I can only take half the credit for this one... but it's the adorable half. :p She is my sunshine, and a little charmer too. She sure as hell didn't get that from me, I hate everyone.
Tantrum wrote:I went to a concert to see Gwell-o, a GWAR/Green Jell-o tribute band that I like (which I considered partying for the poll). All the members wore GWAR type outfits, homemade from foam and duct tape. They had more people in similar armor having mock battles in the crowd, complete with foam and tape organs for disembowling. Then again, they do that every show. The only downside was that the concert was in Worcester, MA, which is about 1.5 hours away from me, so I didn't get home until 3:30.
That sounds hilarious. :lol: Unless there's fluids involved, then... gross.

I ate my jack o lantern afterward. I may just switch to carving apples from now on, It's tasty to munch on while you're carving, is amusing to look at, takes less time to carve and you can eat it after you're done with it.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Sades wrote:I can only take half the credit for this one... but it's the adorable half. :p She is my sunshine, and a little charmer too. She sure as hell didn't get that from me, I hate everyone.
Yes, fortunately the child resembles her mother much more than she does me. I'll go ahead and take credit for the charming part though... :eyebrow:
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

That's one cute kid, Sades! ��

Our weekly board game night had a Halloween theme, but that's it for me...
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Sades

Post by Sades »

But that's a bit braggy, isn't it? Yech. Well, at the end of the day we're still changing diapers and dealing with temper tantrums, so whatever. Parents like their kids.
Shrapnel Clone wrote:Our weekly board game night had a Halloween theme, but that's it for me...
I am jealous of your weekly board game night. Love board games.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

I was at Damnation Festival listening to lots of loud music and getting very, VERY drunk.

I may also still be drunk.
Clay

Post by Clay »

Sades wrote:Don't think I've ever posted a picture of the small one here?
She used to be in your avatar until someone nice made you that much better one :)

I bought Kit Kats and left the porch light on. But it was already close to 7pm when I got home and mad windy and cold, so I didn't have a single trick-or-treater. I was disappointed. :(
Sades

Post by Sades »

It is so much nicer, yeah? :p

No. I have to say that because she's my kid and I'm crazy. Mostly about her.

As usual, Matt and (what's left of) his liver have been out, being crazy awesome somewhere. :p And Clay (and Tantrum, as he mentioned doing the same thing earlier as well), that's kind of what I wanted to do with candy here as we have a patio, but I suspected that we wouldn't get any trick or treaters at all. Which we didn't. Even with the porchlight on and my awesome carved apple sitting on a plate outside.

Notabot, what is a "Reformation lock in"?

Edit: Hey, who's the sourpuss who hid from the trick or treaters? :p
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Honestly I had completely forgotten all about Halloween. Seriously.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Sades wrote: Notabot, what is a "Reformation lock in?"
October 31 is Reformation Day, and we had a youth overnight party at the church. They've come to be known as "lock-ins" because we're at the church the whole night. We haven't done the overnight lock-in for a few years, but the pumpkin explosions have continued every year. Even expanded to a watermelon explosion this summer for a community library event.
StoneCold Skywarp
Custom Title: Best Served Chilled

Post by StoneCold Skywarp »

Sades wrote:
As usual, Matt and (what's left of) his liver have been out, being crazy awesome somewhere.
it's only a matter of time before my liver packs it's bags and leaves. :drink:
Sades

Post by Sades »

StoneCold Skywarp wrote:it's only a matter of time before my liver packs it's bags and leaves. :drink:
Don't let it leave before you come visit us. :smack: :p
Notabot wrote:October 31 is Reformation Day, and we had a youth overnight party at the church. They've come to be known as "lock-ins" because we're at the church the whole night. We haven't done the overnight lock-in for a few years, but the pumpkin explosions have continued every year. Even expanded to a watermelon explosion this summer for a community library event.
I'm a bit curious about this, sorry for the questions. :p What do you explode them with?

Should probably add that I don't want to explode stuff (I'm probably a bit eccentric, but not psycho), I'm just curious how you would explode anything as entertainment without being very, very far away.
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

This year both kids had sleep over at the Halloween night. Should be a happy night, right? I was sick and then through the weekend and even now. :sick: