Latest DVD Purchases

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Complete Classic Series Collection.

An amusing thought; when I was a kid, I actually wasn't too big on TMNT; Transformers had already stolen my heart - but I had a friend who was absolutely nuts over it. And I doubt he owns this thing!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

An Enemy of the People
Dead Man
Mystery Man
Deer Hunter
Taking of Pelham 1-2-3
Frenzy
The Birds
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Marnie
A Bullet for the General
Romeo is Bleeding
The Two Jakes

Plus a copy of the Sutherland Body Snatchers that's scratched to buggery. Annoyingly played until it started getting rather good.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Drive
The Hit
The Third Man
Torn Curtain
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
The Taking of Pelham One-Two-Three
The Professionals

And the Dirty Dozen - which has the oddest DVD extra I've ever seen; the made for TV sequel. It's barely even mentioned on the packaging, and I'm not surprised - there are references to the original mission so it's obviously meant to be a sequel, but whole chunks of the dialogue (and personalities of the dozen themselves) are basically exactly the same.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

Oh yeah, that's the one with Christopher Reeve in it. I remember seeing it advertised on the inside sleeve of a VHS my Brother's girlfriend had. Always seemed mildly intriguing. Mind you, I'm not sure of the calibre of the rest of those films on the the sleeve; Taps, Short Circuit 2, Torch Song Trilogy, Punchline... I guess its in no way unusual to any of us how this stuff remains forever lodged in a portion of the brain more than 20 years later!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

The Brak Show: Complete Songbook, Space Ghost Coast to Coast: All Talk Collection, Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law: The Complete Cases and The Dark Knight Rises.
Destruction is my specialty
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

I picked up the complete Space Ghost Coast to Coast series last year for a ridiculously low price. I had forgotten how funny/random/bizarre they can be. My favorites are the ones where the celebrities didn't quite understand what they were getting into. Beck, however, seemed right at home. :)
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Auntie Slag wrote:Oh yeah, that's the one with Christopher Reeve in it.
That was Great Escape II. This one's still got Lee Marvin in it, I think a couple of years after he died by the looks of things.

I do miss not having random films advertised on the inside of sleeves, though - discovered a few interesting odds over the years from those. One of the fun things about videos was older stuff usually had contemporary trailers on them too; it'd actually make an interesting DVD extra - a random selection of trailers for other films (rather than trailers for the film I've just bought on DVD).

Oh, and

The Godfather
Richard III (McKellen)
I Confess
Vertigo
Strangers on a Train
North by Northwest
Nicholas and Alexandra
A Prayer for the Dying
Psycho
Rear Window
Aces High
Brighton Rock
Cat O' Nine Tails
Inferno
Suspiria
Brighton Rock
Django Kill

I currently have 27 DVDs in my "to watch" pile; 11 more are (probably) on their way from ebay; 3 more from Amazon and a dozen are on my Xmas wishlist. I don't think I've watched one of these purchases twice yet... Why am I completely incapable of just being a little bit interested in something?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

They still do random trailers on DVD/Blu Ray. It was slightly bizarre in the Bond 50 set to have all of 2009's best new films (like, err, The Day Keanu Stood Still. No wonder MGM went bankrupt) on Quantum of Solace due to it being the only one of the films they hadn't bothered to repress.

Through the post today:

The other Hitchcock blu boxset with:

Strangers on a Train (who decided to make the back cover blurb a comparison to Throw Mamma From the Train?);
Dial M For Murder (sad to see Hitch jumping on the 3D bandwagon);
North By Northwest.

Also, in a shinny steelbook, Lifeboat.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Paul053

Post by Paul053 »

The Dark Knight Rises
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Return of the Musketeers
The Osterman Weekend
A copy of the Stranger with a slightly nicer cover

*cries*
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

Dark Knight Rises, natch.
And to keep the missus happy, Snow White and the Huntsman.
I like bears.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

Ninja Scroll on blu-ray.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre on Blu-Ray.
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Cowboy Bebop Remix - Complete Sessions, Eden of the East: Complete Collection (TV+Movies), Naruto Shippuden Movie 3: The Will of Fire, Durarara: Complete Series.
Cyberstrike nTo
Protoform

Post by Cyberstrike nTo »

Cheyenne Season 1, Perry Mason: The 50th Anniversary Edition and The Zookeeper BR/DVD combo pack Christmas presants for my dad.

nWo: The Revolution 3 Disc set for me
Please visit Outlaw Colony my new message board it's a fun site for fun people.
electro girl

Post by electro girl »

Mad Men season 5. I like it. I like it a lot.
-------------------------
A Chinese cartoon where the robots turn into blingwads!
HeavyArms
Protoform

Post by HeavyArms »

Steins;Gate collection 1, The Campaign, The Bourne Legacy, WWE Attitude Era and Step Brothers.
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

The Dark Knight Rises DVD. Great film, akthough the whole nuclear bomb thing seemed a bit silly and cartoonish (as opposed to a guy whom dresses as a bat, obv). I'm not sure of Ra's motivation for wanting to destroy Gotham either. He's faffing about at the otherside of the world, so what makes Gotham so special? Perhaps I missed something there , or will have to get the first film to remind me (put off buying that on DVD because katie holmes was terrible). Seemed to be some sharp edits where anything particualrly violent was happening, like we cut away too quick. Was it like this at the pics , or is this just a DVD thing? It looked like at one point we were building to a reveal of Bane's mashed up face, so I'm quite glad some restraint was used and we didn't see that teribble mess. I did wonder how he eats and it sounded like Tom Hardy's lines were dubbed over the action. Probably a good thing, as even with that he was occasionally difficult to understand. Overall, really great film that despite being reeeealy long, never felt like it. Jolly good show! Still miffed that DVDs now come with no extras. Stupid march of progress getting us to go for new formats. grr.
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Skyquake87 wrote:Still miffed that DVDs now come with no extras. Stupid march of progress getting us to go for new formats. grr.
Extras aren't something that bothers me much, but I suspect that "holding back for the blu-ray" just encourages more people to download or buy second-hand since the DVD has less value to start with and people are less inclined to keep for re-watching.
Auntie Slag
Custom Title: Satisfaction guaranteed!

Post by Auntie Slag »

This weekend I bought:

- The Accidental Tourist
- Paranormal Activity 2
- Mammuth, and;
- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Only seen the first Paranormal Activity film. Scared the shit out of me. Obviously now I'm a lot harder so the second should be less scary than '27 Dresses'. Christ that film was hideous.