Latest DVD Purchases

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
numbat

Post by numbat »

Got the Avengers Blu-ray boxset last week with Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor, Incredible Hulk, Captain America and Avengers. It's an absolute bargain - watched them all over the last week. Sheer escapist entertainment.

:clap:

New sale thread added with a range of Transformers including Masterpiece, Botcon, CHUG, RID, Movies etc.

Looking for MP-11T Thundercracker and MP-9 Rodimus v2 (Takara version with as few QC issues as possible).

Check out my new sale thread now!

Also items on eBay.
Jaynz
Custom Title: RIP - see pixelsagas.com

Post by Jaynz »

This batch of BluRay releases coincided with my birthday, so I got a pretty good haul for movies...

Avengers
Indiana Jones Trilogy with Free Coaster
James Bond 50th Anniversary Set
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Watched Dr. No on Blu Ray already, looks damn spiffy.

As it's currently on sale at the Network site for a mere £16 I've just ordered The Return of the Saint for pure Ian Ogilvy goodness.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

inflatable dalek wrote:Watched Dr. No on Blu Ray already, looks damn spiffy.

As it's currently on sale at the Network site for a mere £16 I've just ordered The Return of the Saint for pure Ian Ogilvy goodness.
The quality of the set is pretty good, honestly. Nothing too radical in the clean-up department, and some scenes still show aging artificing, but it is a big step up from the DVD transfers.

I'll probably do a movie-by-movie quick commentary at some point. Right now I'm trying to use it to relax while doing so many other projects.. but I do say, Roger Moore's Bond was a smug and horny bastard. He's 90 percent of the way Austin Powers!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Lost Highway - my first live Lynch back in the day, only 15/16 when it came out but the old UCI never asked for ID for slower sellers.

Once Upon a Time in America - in a cu*ting digipak. "Oh, let's make a format that's incredibly resilient and package it in a cardboard box, that's a ****ing good idea". There are also two discs. Two ****ing discs? Why? It all used to come on one ****ing tape. It's also got something called Special Features, which I'm guessing is some explanation of the thing for morons. THIS IS YOUR BRAVE NEW WORLD?

Apocalypse Now - theatrical cut, not the "Money please I haven't had a hit for 25 years" version (though Tucker rocks, Tucker's going to have to go on the list). Of course Coppola's creative judgement has been sound since 1979 so nothing could have gone wrong with the old twat re-editing the thing, can it?

Transformers - I've heard this one's quite good, anyone seen it? Glad they finally got around to issuing it without a boring dark picture covered in a bit of card.
inflatable dalek

Make sure it's the 86 film, the other three aren't very good. Sub Whedon.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Picked up The Dark Knight Returns Part 1 on Blu-ray and Resident Evil: Damnation on DVD.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

inflatable dalek wrote:Watched Dr. No on Blu Ray already, looks damn spiffy.
I got the 50 Years box set today from HMV with those bonus artcards.

Unlike The Yellow Submarine blu-ray though, the HMV edition didn't have a special packaging and the "art cards" were just chucked into the parcel in a ziploc bag.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

The Getaway - McQueen/McGraw, naturally. No-one would remember Alec Baldwin if he hadn't been in that Simpsons. FACT.

Revenge of the Fallen - Special Edition, so it's probably got Michael Bay explaining the plot, which would probably be needed by some of our posters here...

Brazil - top five in the all-time greatest films ever made, that simple.

The Eagle Has Landed - trainee Treat Williams, JR, Donald Sutherland, Duvall in an eyepatch, Caine taking "English speaking German" as "do a cockney accent", Jenny Agutter, "you're all Germans", the coolest voiced bitpart guy ever...

Fallen Angels - I HEART WONG-KAR WAI

Twelve Monkeys - sheer brilliance. Much better than La Jetee for starters due to Gilliam regularly second-guessing that the audience would work it out and throwing in dummy happy endings all over the place.

Angel Heart - obviously it's a great film but the disc suffers from my biggest bugbear of the past few days - people using the wrong ****ing stock photo. It's not like there aren't photos for all the different editions. I know it's a little silly but I figure if I'm buying these I might as well get a cover I like on them even if it's the same basic film on both editions. So am I right to be a bit peeved when I go for a particular auction for this reason and then it actually turns out to be another cover? I really can't be ****ed with the drama, though.
Jaynz

Post by Jaynz »

Going through the Bond set still. Moonraker, as absurd as the premise is, really isn't the worst of the films. I think that's going to have to go to A View to a Kill now, which has so much stupid in it that I longed for the cohesion that Moonraker had. Only thing the last Moore entry had going for it, really, was the opening theme by Duran Duran. :S
inflatable dalek

I dread to think what Sir Roger's bizzare face-lift-gone wrong (well, unless his mole moved up to by his ear by itself) perma-tanned face looks like in HD. There's still something awesome about a major action film staring a bunch of British pensioners fighting Christopher Walken though.

I thought Goldfinger looked the best of the first three in HD, probably the last time Connery ever bothered to act in anything rather than just doing his patented Sean Connery thing as well.
Warcry

Post by Warcry »

A View to A Kill is just bad enough that it's fun, which puts it above most of the Roger Moore Bond movies in my books. Watching through them in order when I was in my teens I thought they got progressively worse and became more and more of an unaware self-parody with each new movie. Live And Let Die is the only Moore film I think highly of anymore (though to be honest, I haven't seen most of them in a decade).
TFVanguard wrote:Going through the Bond set still. Moonraker, as absurd as the premise is, really isn't the worst of the films.
Isn't it exactly the same movie as The Spy Who Loved Me, except in space instead of underwater?

I bought Moonraker because of how awesome the Moonraker level (plus the laser) was in the N64 Goldeneye game. Suffice it to say I was very, very disappointed...
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

TFVanguard wrote:Going through the Bond set still. Moonraker, as absurd as the premise is, really isn't the worst of the films. I think that's going to have to go to A View to a Kill now, which has so much stupid in it that I longed for the cohesion that Moonraker had. Only thing the last Moore entry had going for it, really, was the opening theme by Duran Duran. :S
Really? I thought it was The Man With the Golden Gun that was everyone's least favourite Moore movie, but I guess there's bound to be differing opinions on that, too.

I can see where you're going with A View to a Kill though, with Moore starting to look way too old for the part - hell, he looked way too old for the part in Octopussy! But other than that, I honestly don't see what's wrong with it. Then again, it's been a pretty long time since I've watched it.

As for Moonraker though - yeah, it pretty much is The Spy Who Loved Me in Space. The plot is paperthin and pretty much just acts as an excuse to string James Bond along around the world through one beautiful setpiece to another.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

• Charge of the Light Brigade - Richardson, obv.
  • Dark of the Moon
  • Once Upon a Time in the West - single greatest film ever made.
  • Usual Suspects
  • Ran
  • Death of a President
  • Westworld
  • Blow-Up
  • Dune (theatrical, naturally)
  • Man Who Fell to Earth
  • Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence
  • if...
This has not been a well-planned spurge, God knows when I'm going to have time to start watching this stuff.
inflatable dalek

Just be like me and don't do anything else with your life.
As for Moonraker though - yeah, it pretty much is The Spy Who Loved Me in Space. The plot is paperthin and pretty much just acts as an excuse to string James Bond along around the world through one beautiful setpiece to another.
It's not as good a film as Spy but I'd actually say Moonraker has a very well constructed plot, everything builds up and follows on logically (in an out and out science fiction way) upon what's gone before. Even little things that could have been easily overlooked like why Drax needed to steal one of his own shuttles is neatly dealt with at the appropriate moment.

Plus his plan makes more sense than the one in Spy, there the villain didn't need to destroy all humanity to start his underwater colony, Drax does need to clear the planet before he can repopulate it though.
Sunrunner
Protoform

Post by Sunrunner »

Had a mad spree in HMV and picked up the following on DVD

Seven Samurai

Ip Man

Chronicle

Drive
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I can't remember the last time I went into a HMV. Probably the last time I felt like paying extra for something and getting sneered at by some studenty **** behind the tills into the bargain.

The Straight Story
Mulholland Drive
Le Mans
The Last King of Scotland
Battle Royale
Red Dawn
The Man Who Would Be King
Carlito's Way
The Wild Bunch
The Adventures of Baron Munchausen

It's gone beyond the edge of reason :(
inflatable dalek

Cliffjumper wrote: Red Dawn
I'd never heard of this one before the trailer for the inadvertently hilarious looking remake started doing the rounds. Not entirely the film's fault as changing the evil invaders from China to North Korea (who'd have trouble occupying California if they sent their entire population over, let alone the whole country) seems to have been the decision of the new studio and the original looks pretty unintentionally hilarious as well.

I'm guessing, considering the subject matter, it never did very good business outside of the States?
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I dunno, we had it on BIG BOX ex-rental years ago. The whole Brat Pack never really took off over here quite the same as they did in America.

It's basically The Breakfast Club with AK-47s, which is a shame as it starts off really, really well. It's hard to take anything actiony with Charlie Sheen all that seriously, you keep expecting him to fire chickens at the Russians.

I'm a bit of a junkie for alternate history stuff.
inflatable dalek

I've never seen The Breakfast Club either despite a morbid fascination in finding out what Judd Nelson actually looks like.

You can't beat BIG BOX videos though.

The Return of the Saint has arrived! If anything Ogilvy actually manages to look even more smug on the box than Sir Roger usually does.