If they built cars ...

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Rurudyne
Protoform

If they built cars ...

Post by Rurudyne »

... that looked like this LaSalle C-Hawk would you buy one (if you could, of course)?

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/6 ... photo.aspx

My uncle used to have a real '39 LaSalle and this one is every bit as gorgeous as that one must have been when new.

Everything has been jellybeans or wedgybeans for so long it makes me wonder if current ideas of "style" aren't a little too ... efficient.
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Nope. It's ugly.
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

Are they actually going to build it? It looks great. probably cost a fortune, though.
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

It looks like it would convert to a bitchin' batmobile.
I like bears.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Looks too much like a contrived grafting of retro style to a modern car. That car was designed first to look like every other piece of shit and then had that front end stuck on by some marketing twat, like the way recent Alfas always look contrived to have the giant badge worked into the grille.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Heinrad wrote:Are they actually going to build it? It looks great. probably cost a fortune, though.
Probably not. But if they did, it would. The mechanical underpinnings are the same as the Caddy coupe (560 HP engine and all that) so if it is make in limited numbers expect it would be at least that expensive.

Aside: I'm not sure how they resolve using factory forms for the original '39 LaSalle's coachwork (and end up with the same lines) with modern materials but they apparently used them (at least according to Autoweek).

Without a doubt the '39 LaSalle is one of my favorite Harley Earl designs. My fave from the other American giant, Virgil Exner, has to be 1953s GS (link). The '54 is pretty too (link) but had more parts bin parts.

Cliffy, apparently somewhat of a fellow cynic, would love the story behind the lovely GS ... according to an old Car And Driver story I've got somewhere around here it was a plain old New Yorker under the skin but with its flawless, hand formed Italian coachwork (they hammered smallish sheets of steel in the courtyard and wielded them together) the price for one in '53 was a then staggering $10K!

PS: I hate it when I find so manie typods to edit!
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"