A technical question for all you PS3 owners out there....

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Heinrad

A technical question for all you PS3 owners out there....

Post by Heinrad »

Having just run out of room on the PS3's hard drive(and being of the mindset that if I've paid for the bloody game, I'm not giving it up afterward. Well, except for that Siren: Blood Heat game.... that one wasn't much fun), I've gotten an external hard drive for the PS3.

Is it only possible to do a blanket back-up, or can I move specific files?
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

You can do both. If you select the file you want to copy and hit, erm, triangle I think, you'll get the copy file option.

Edit: I've actually almost run out of space on mine so I'm planning to buy a bigger hard drive and swap it out next time I have money. Bear in mind that even if you delete a game from your hard drive, it remains on your receipt at the PS Store, meaning you can download it again any time without paying twice.
Heinrad

Post by Heinrad »

True. Probably my own paranoia setting in. I was mainly thinking of downloading the install files to the PS3's internal hard drive, then installing them onto the external.

Thanks. :D
As a professional tanuki (I'm a Japanese mythological animal, and a good luck charm), I have an alarm clock built into me somewhere. I also look like a stuffed animal. And you thought your life was tough......

3DS Friend Code: 1092-1274-7642
Sir Auros

Post by Sir Auros »

Whatever device (flash drive, external hdd, etc.) you want to back up to needs to be formatted as FAT32 for the PS3 to recognize it. I would recommend selecting individual files, because I tried the PS3's built-in option to backup the harddrive when I replaced mine a few weeks ago, and it didn't get everything. I had all my game saves and some of the media I had installed, but none of the games I'd downloaded. Like Anglo said, you can just redownload that from the store.