resurrecting the mammoth!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Sades

resurrecting the mammoth!

Post by Sades »

So this is kinda old news (in that I believe it has been said to be "possible to attempt", iirc), but apparently japanese scientists are going to put into motion an attempt to ressurec the wooly mammoth this year. If successful, the first "wooly mammoth" in (x) thousands of years hould be born in 2016. (Cannot link, utilise a search engine using the term "clone woolly mammoth")

So I guess ill have to change my retirement plans- baibai Bactrian Camel farm, hello Woolly Mammoth farm!

(Yeah I know, rife with errors and missing letters. Sue me. :p)
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Read about this a while ago. Not sure if they should though. I ain't religious or anything, but they died out for a reason.
I think we should clone dinosaurs first. Whatever though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:I think we should clone dinosaurs first. Whatever though.
Nah, we should definitely clone me first (and only). Make the world a much better place! :lol:
Wreck and Rule!
Sades

Post by Sades »

No surviving dino dna, iirc. a few mammoth popsicles exist however.

Should, shouldn't. I'd try it if I had a chance, of success, too. Overhunting was the presumed downfall of the mammoth according to the article I read... I'd like to know what they're going to do with it if the succeed tbh.

I wonder what a mammoth tastes like.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

Sades wrote: I wonder what a mammoth tastes like.
They haven't even ressurrected them yet, and already you're planning on hunting them down to eat. You're a monster. A MONSTER!

-Ss

;)
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Sades wrote:No surviving dino dna, iirc. a few mammoth popsicles exist however.

Should, shouldn't. I'd try it if I had a chance, of success, too. Overhunting was the presumed downfall of the mammoth according to the article I read... I'd like to know what they're going to do with it if the succeed tbh.

I wonder what a mammoth tastes like.
Pfft, I wonder elephant tastes like period. Before doomsday, I'd also like to try penguin. For the hell of it.

But yeah, it could be cool to see the mammoth again. Icy great things ahead by cloning the mammoth. I know. All those puns were irrelephant.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Sades

Post by Sades »

Those were horrible. I'm stealing them. Well, one of them at least.
Sixswitch wrote:They haven't even ressurrected them yet, and already you're planning on hunting them down to eat. You're a monster. A MONSTER!

-Ss

;)
The fact that the tie-in to overhunting was missed makes me a sad panda.

You show me something that can't be nommed, ill show you something that people haven't tried hard enough to make nommable.

My phone died posting in this topic. I wonder if I will be billed extra for browsing LONG DISTANCE.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Yeah, you think it's cool now but wait for things to break down at Mammoth Park and for them to start their very slow reign of terror and then tell me how cool it is.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

"Clever girl..."

I wonder if a mammoth ever forgets. And hey, considering these things will be developed using elephant eggs, I wonder how much of them will actually be Mammoth.
Notabot

Post by Notabot »

Elephants don't lay eggs, silly. They'd squish them when they sit on them.
Hound

Post by Hound »

Humans don't lay eggs either but women still have eggs in them.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Sometimes I wonder if this is the actual intellectual capacity of the place, if people resort to silliness to avoid talking of a subject they don't know about, if they resort to silliness bcause its a topic started by me and I'm hardly ever srs bsns, or a little of all of the above.

Not that I mind- I just wonder. Well, sometimes I mind a little. But not enough to detract from being as irrelevant as I usually am.
Shrapnel Clone

Post by Shrapnel Clone »

Hound wrote:Humans don't lay eggs either but women still have eggs in them.
Men too, after a good lunch.

Speaking of lunch, how about cloning the Dodo? If they taste as bad as wikipedia says, how come they are extinct? I'm betting they want to keep all the yummy dodos for themselves.
"I dunno about you, but whenever I get confused I always mutilate the person next to me."
-Cliffjumper
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

Slayer-Fan123 wrote:Read about this a while ago. Not sure if they should though. I ain't religious or anything, but they died out for a reason.I think we should clone dinosaurs first. Whatever though.
There are likely to have been made extinct by humans. By that reasoning we shouldn't preserve any endangered species.
inflatable dalek

I doubt very much nature has any sort of intelligent plan it's following. Whilst some species are possibly too stupid to live (dear lovely pandas seem to be determined to go extinct despite all the best efforts of preservationists) I don't see any particular harm in trying. At best Mammoths will wind up a zoo curiousity, I doubt they'd be released en mass into the wild.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

You have no idea how much I am 100% behind this, but still...
There must be cooler animals, surely? Mammoths are basically just elephants who haven't shaved. I know Dinosaurs are pretty much off the table but what about sabre-toothed cats or terror birds or dire wolves or my personal favourite, the giant sloth? Theyd be much more exciting.
I like bears.
inflatable dalek

Summerhayes wrote: dire wolves
They don't sound that good.
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

inflatable dalek wrote:They don't sound that good.
Even so I find their version of Romeo and Juliet better than The Killers'
I like bears.
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

We always seem to aim to big in terms of cloning and then bugger it up by getting arthritic sheep. Would it not make more ecological sense to start at the bottom and clone something that breeds fast and could provide a sustainable food source for the next big cloning adventure.

I imagine a Mammoth would eat a fair bit, we have too many mouths to feed! Let's genetically engineer some kind of Peanut Butter Nugget Quail and build from there.

It's no fun being at the top of the food chain if we can't cook us up a new species to have on some pitta bread.