yo

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Axe
Protoform

yo

Post by Axe »

Yo,

Been too too too long.

So, wdz hapnin' guys?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Axe wrote:Yo,

Been too too too long.

So, wdz hapnin' guys?

I actually understood that. I must have reached a new level of intellectual maturity since you last posted.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Axe
Protoform

Post by Axe »

Hmm...

(methinks) Me-experienced only today that Ah* have a long way to go in fighting hidden anger tendencies.

Meshouldn't burden myself with over-tasking I see.

(going tangential) What-this news (I see). Koreas be holding talks? I was reminiscing Bangladesh's old name being East Pakistan** (sub-continent current affairs and history).

*not battery rating, southern accent "I"

**yea, I currently be in Lahore Pakistan
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Oh, **** off.
Axe
Protoform

Post by Axe »

Thanks Cliffjumper, that boosted my productivity for the day. Hmm... looking at a possible reorientation maybe.

You know, the thumbs up combo really cracked me up at the time ;) (#22) http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... oud&page=2

Okay everyone; so about where I'm coming from:

I ideally don't wan't anybody to be stuck in standard life: (the ideal first world scenario) work your childhood, work dang hard in your job, retire, pass away.

Learning/occupations should be fun/easy*, and there shouldn't be this 24,000 people starving everyday craziness.

* One of the main things I have in mind is phonetics and fun vocabulary books like How to Build a Better Vocabulary being used in primary school.

Okay, I just learnt about Keith Olbermann (when he left his post), wow Excellent history in a nutshell reporting + high vocabulary: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqxmPjB0WSs

I was excited Peace TV launched a new channel I heard (translating the porgrams I think into) Bengali. Yeah, its a good thing, people give a bad name to religion through their ignorance. Just something concerning Muslims and people dying of starvation:

In the name of God, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

(Pickthall)

107:1. Hast thou observed him who belieth religion?

107:2. That is he who repelleth the orphan,

107:3. And urgeth not the feeding of the needy.

107:4. Ah, woe unto worshippers

107:5. Who are heedless of their prayer;

107:6. Who would be seen (at worship)

107:7. Yet refuse small kindnesses!

Hmm, I gotta go. I haven't presented what I had in mind (and Peace TV is debate* rather than dialogue). They are pro logic though, so if you have questions, they have an FAQ and phone numbers. I haven't seen it as much recently. http://www.peacetv.tv/en-gb/

Sheikh Yusuf Estes (quoted I think): debates generate a lot of heat but very little light.

I myself have to really investigate and learn authentic Sufism. Well, maybe I'll make a thread about really soft and positive things about religion.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Seriously, this is just some dickhead trying to make himself look intelligent by posting some shit no-one cares about. We can all ****ing do that.

Round about 1999, someone somewhere decided that Minardi, relegated to backmarkers by the contraction of the sport in the second half of the decade, were F1’s official mascots, a team of plucky hard-up underdogs who deserved patronising at every turn – indeed, in 2001 the brash Australian Paul Stoddard took over the team and began overtly promoting them this way, to the annoyance of all.

However, Minardi’s results and general effectiveness, even in their dying days, were respectable even out of context. Those of their spiritual predecessors, Osella, weren’t. For ten seasons, fittingly the entire 1980s and nothing either side, Enzo Osella’s little team survived from race to race with a patchwork of drivers, sponsors and chassis. Finishes were always few and far between, while even qualification was difficult for the most part. However, the patriotic Italian team were a well-liked team within the paddock, always maintaining basic professionalism, running young drivers where their budget allowed it, and generally turning out well-mannered drivers who didn’t get in the way of the front-runners too much.

Enzo Osella began by running Abarth sportscars in Italian races from his base in Bergamo, with enough success that he eventually took over the works team. However, his ambition was to get into Formula 1, and began dabbling in single seaters. The FA2 Formula 2 car was a failure from 1975-1976, Osella finding much more success in the short-lived Group 6 sportscar category. A mix of PA2, PS3 and PA4 cars were entered by privateers in the Italian races (Roby Filannino and Ermanno Pettiti taking a BMW-engined PA4 to second place in the Enna 4 Hours) saw Osella take second in the Sports Car Chamionship, and first in the two litre class. The following year the success was repeated (Giorgio Francia and Silvio Artina taking another second at the Monza 500kms, a race which saw 18 Osellas take part, and Francia taking another second place at the Imola 250kms).

Back in single seaters, the 1976 FA3 Formula 3 car was another failure (Francia was one of the drivers to purchase one, with little success), and Osella withdrew from single seaters until 1978, concentrating once again on sportscars. Then, amazingly, the team pitched up in 1979 with the updated FA2 in Formula 2. At the wheel was Eddie Cheever. The tall American had raced with Ron Dennis’ Project 4 F2 team in 1977 and 1978, placing 2nd and 4th in the series. He’d also plunged into F1 with Theodore for the start of the 1978 season, failing to qualify for the first two events before jumping to Hesketh and qualifying for the South African Grand Prix – the last time a Hesketh would manage this feat – before dropping back to F2. Despite his points score, Cheever’s second year at Project 4 had not been successful, taking in a number of costly crashes.

However, his career seemed to have stalled a little bit. No F1 full-time drive was forthcoming, and the cream of the F2 seats had gone. So he plumped for the updated FA2/79, astonishingly winning first time out at Silverstone. Further victories at Pau and Zandvoort saw him repeat 4th overall, but more importantly convince Osella that he had a driver to step up to F1 with.

Formula One was a relatively cheap business at the time. The Ford Cosworth DFV was still a competitive proposition with the Hewland gearbox, and the likes of Osella could easily build a car to take the thing. The Osella FA1 was a ground effects car with no front wings running on Goodyear tyres, presented in a respectable white/blue scheme with sponsorship from MS and Denim. However, the thing was very much in need of sorting. Cheever failed to qualify for the first two races, before getting in 23rd at Kyalami, only to spin out after a couple of laps. He was then a respectable 19th on the grid at Long Beach, running competitively in midfield before picking up damage in a multiple accident triggered by Bruno Giacomelli, and then having the transmission pack up. The Osella then failed to qualify for the next two races, but then made it into the next four, only to run into mechanical trouble in every single one. The overcomplicated FA1 was then retired after the Dutch Grand Prix, replaced by the more conventional FA1B for the team’s home grand prix. Cheever qualified an impressive 17th, and despite teething problems persevered to 12th and last, three laps down in the race. The final two rounds saw excellent qualifying placings, 14th in Canada and 16th at Watkins Glen, wasted through more unreliability.

The ambitious Cheever had impressed enough to be offered a seat at Tyrrell for 1981, costing Osella his talisman. However, the FA1B had demonstrated a fair turn of speed and had the potential to be a respectable midfield car if its’ reliability issues could be sorted. The team switched to Michelin tyres for 1981, and expanded to two cars. Bebbe Gabbiani, who’d regularly raced in F2 with little success, and had done no better in two drives in a Surtees at the end of 1978, would take one car, while the other was to be driven by Argentine Miguel Angel Guerra, who had taken two SudAm F4 titles and a hat-trick of SudAm F2 championships, but was having little luck in European F2. Both bought sponsorship to the team to supplement Denim’s input; what they didn’t bring was speed. Guerra failed to qualify for the opening round at Long Beach, while Gabbiani started 24th and was trundling around at the back when the suspension broke and pitched him into the wall after 26 laps. The next two races, neither Osella made the cut.

In a brief reversal of fortune, both cars made the cut at Imola, Gabbiani starting 20th and Guerra 22nd. However, their achievement was short-lived. Guerra span at the start and was punted into a wall by Eliseo Salazar’s RAM March, breaking his ankle and wrist. Gabbiani meanwhile scrapped with Michele Alboreto in lower midfield before the pair collided after 31 laps. Osella wanted to recruit his old stalwart Giorgiio Francia to take over from Guerra for the Belgian Grand Prix, but FISA vetoed the nomination due to Francia’s lack of recent single-seater experience. Instead, Osella recruited 1970s F3 mainstay Piercarlo Ghinzani on a race-by-race basis, the start of a long association with the charming, affable Italian driver.

Ghinzani and Osella got off to a fine start at Zolder. He started 24th to Gabbiani’s 22nd, but persevered to finish 13th and last, four laps down (for those keeping count, yes, that was Osella’s second-ever race finish). The pair then placed 25th (Ghinzani) and 26th in practice at Monaco, but only the top 20 were allowed to start, so it was another double DNQ. Francia then finally got clearance for the Spanish Grand Prix, only for Gabbiani to write off a chassis trying to qualify. Due to his sponsorship portfolio making him the team’s number one driver, Beppe took over Francia’s car, but neither made the cut.

The plan had been to run Francia for the rest of the season, but instead Osella ambitiously signed Jean-Pierre Jarier. The Frenchman had shown a lot of speed but few results with Shadow in the mid-1970s before slumming with ATS. A brace of substitute drives with Lotus revived his reputation at the end of 1978, leading to two moderately successful seasons with Tyrrell. However, most teams ahd moved on from trying to extract the best out of Jarier, who’d developed a reputation for having something of a chip on his shoulder. He had started the season filling in for Ligier while Jean-Pierre Jabouille recuperated from broken legs, and was now out of work. He struck a deal to drive for Osella, however, and the results were astonishing. Well, maybe not astonishing, but still fairly impressive. Taking over the car from Silverstone (after Gabbiani had failed to qualify the single entry in France), Jarier qualified for all seven of the remaining races, placing the car in the top 20 on the grid in the first five. Even better were his race results. At Silverstone, but for an unscheduled pit stop, he might well have scored points, going on to finish 8th. He repeated the result next time out at Hockenheim, and also finished 10th in Austria. The new FA1C debuted at Monza, and Jarier brought the car home 9th.

Poor Gabbiani was less lucky, failing to qualify after the Belgian Grand Prix. Whereas he’d been the number one driver at the start of the year, the arrival of Jarier’s proven class saw him relegated to number two regardless of his sponsors, and his uninspiring form saw him receive second-best equipment – for example, while Jarier had the new FA1C for the last three races of the season, Beppe was stuck in the old FA1B still.

Nevertheless, Osella had reason to believe they were making progress. Jarier was a genuine midfielder, and his finishing record suggested progress was being made in terms of reliability, especially with an experienced driver at the wheel. Jarier signed on for a full year in 1982, while the second seat went to Ricardo Paletti, a young bespectacled Italian who had delivered some impressive results for Onyx in F2 the previous year (not to mention brought some sponsorship with him, from his father’s Pioneer Italia company). Now on Pirelli tyres, the Osella operation was much the same as in the second half of 1981 – while both drivers now had the FA1C, Jarier was very much the top dog, with Paletti facing a steep learning curve.

The opening round at Kyalami saw Jarier 26th on the grid and Paletti missing the cut, the Frenchman then spinning off after a single lap avoiding the wayward Nigel Mansell. Things got a bit better in Brazil, where Jarier started 23rd (his young team-mate again failing to qualifying) and brought the car home 11th, being promoted to 9th after the disqualification of Nelson Piquet and Keke Rosberg. While Paletti made it three misses on the trot, Jarier placed the FA1C tenth on the grid at Long Beach (one of his favourite hunting grounds), only for the transmission to fail after 10 laps.

Next came the contentious San Marino Grand Prix. The FOCA teams opted to boycott the event in protest at the disqualification of Piquet and Rosberg in Brazil. Osella were aligned with FOCA, but decided to break ranks rather than miss what was effectively one of their home races. They were joined by fellow FOCA blacklegs Tyrrell, Toleman and ATS – the former two having recently signed vital sponsorship deals with Italian companies, while legendary ATS boss Gunther Schmidt probably just changed his mind to piss people off. Even with the strike-breakers the field was only going to consist of fourteen cars, the four FOCA rebels joined by the grandees Ferrari, Renault and Alfa Romeo.

Thus both Osellas were guaranteed a start, Jarier qualifying 9th and Paletti 13th. The Italian started from the pitlane after a 50-second delay and retired with suspension failure when 10th out of 10 cars on lap 8. Jarier had better luck, keeping to the task and moved up to fourth as the Alfas and Renaults inevitably retired. The car stayed reliable and Osella had their first ever world championship points. Some called it a fluke, but even in the reduced field Jarier had done a respectable job, finishing where the likes of Prost, Arnoux, de Cesaris, Giacomelli and Henton found beyond them, and coming home ahead of both ATS cars. If nothing else, it perhaps made up for the gearbox trouble at Long Beach.

However, the early season potential soon evaporated. Jarier began slipping back down the grid a little, and neither car made the cut at Monaco. Indeed, Paletti wouldn’t make the grid until the Canadian Grand Prix (he qualified 23rd for the Detroit Grand Prix, but failed to start after a warm-up accident for Jarier saw him take over Paletti’s car), where disaster struck. Jarier had qualified 18th, with his team-mate 23rd again. However, Didier Pironi’s pole-sitting Ferrari stalled at the start as the lgiths remained on for longer than usual, causing the field to scatter. Paletti, at the back of the grid and experiencing his first F1 standing start, was caught unawares as others took evasive action, and ploughed into the back of the stationary Ferrari at around 110mph. Paletti was trapped in his car, the nose of the Osella collapsing and pinning the Italian behind the steering wheel. Sid Watkins and Pironi began trying to extricate him, only for the car’s ruptured fuel tanks to ignite. The French driver furiously rallied the marshals to keep the flames back, ad even attempted to reach Paletti himself. In the end it was 25 minutes before Paletti was freed from the car. He died soon afterwards at Montreal’s Royal Victoria Hospital due to his chest injuries from the impact and toxic gases inhaled during the fire. Riccardo Paletti was two days shy of 24 years old, and the whole thing was witnessed by his mother Gina, who had flown over to Canada in preparation for his birthday.

Jarier’s car was withdrawn from the race, and the distraught little team tried to pull itself together. Enzo Osella was distraught at the death of a young driver in one of his cars, while Jarier was somewhat conflicted. On the one hand, as one of the older drivers in the paddock, he’d seen this sort of thing before and knew that as a professional driver he had to carry on. On the other, he was worried by the way the Osella’s nose had crumpled. The new FA1D had been introduced at Monaco, but the heart had gone out of both driver and team, the rest of the season being seen out as something of an obligation. Jarier was already in negotiations for his longed-for Ligier seat, and this perhaps alloyed with his worries about the Osella to rpdouce a string of steady and utterly unspectacular performances, usually qualifying in the lower midfield before retiring with mechanical trouble. He failed to qualify for the Austrian Grand Prix, and then injured himself in practice for the Caesar’s Palace Grand Prix, failing to practice, bringing his tenure with Osella to a very low-key end.

Osella picked himself up for 1983 and decided on as much of a clean slate as possible. While the FA1D would have to soldier on, he began working on a deal with Alfa Romeo for old engines, with plans for Tony Southgate’s FA1E to house Autodelta’s V12 engine which had ran in their F1 cars since 1979 with moderate success before being superseded by their V8 turbo unit. Kelemata replaced Denim as main sponsor. Driving one car would be Piercarlo Ghinzani. The Italian had, as outlined above, driven a couple of races for the team in 1981, but it would be his second stint that would see him become strongly associated with Osella. Ghinzani was a likeable chap, fully aware that at his age and with his ability he was only ever going to be a minor runner in Formula 1, and was happy to take his place. He would later coin the phrase “Better to be at the back of the grid in Formula 1 than not in Formula 1 at all”. In short, he was a perfect fit for Osella. In the other car the team pulled something of a coup, employing the 1982 F2 champion Corrado Fabi, seen as a more complete driver than older brother Teo.

Unfortunately, by now the turbos were beginning to really take over F1, and the Cosworth DFV was showing its’ age. While the motor could still win races, it needed a good driver and a good chassis, not a 1982-spec car which hadn’t been that great in the first place driven by a rookie and a capable but slightly ponderous pay driver. Fabi, a front-runner in junior categories, was put into a state of shock by being at the back of the grid. He qualified 24th in Rio, running near the back until the engine blew and then failed to make the cut altogether at Long Beach. The next two races saw two more lowly starting positions and two more retirements, one due to an engine failure and the other due to a spin. Fabi was then unable to make the restricted Monaco grid, retired with suspension failure in Spa, failed to qualify in Detroit and then retired with another engine blow-up in Canada.

The British Grand Prix saw the new stunning Brabham-aping FA1E with the Alfa V12 introduced, but it was no real advance in performance (the difference was it was basically a works deal, with Alfa Romeo happy to supply and maintain the engines). The V12 was too old and its’ greater weight offset the power advantage over the DFV, and Fabi failed to qualify it for its’ first two events. However, he made the cut in Austria, and even went on to finish 10th, the team’s first finish since the previous season’s Dutch Grand Prix. Zandvoort was then the next race up, and he finished again, in 11th place. However, retirements at Monza and Kyalami sandwiched another DNQ at Brands Hatch.

In the second car, Ghinzani had fared no better. He failed to qualify for the first six rounds straight before making it in Detroit (bumping Fabi) and retiring within a few laps from overheating. He was given the first Alfa car for the Canadian Grand Prix, but problems with the new machine prevented him from qualifying. From then on, though, he started outperforming Fabi, only missing the cut once in the FA1E (at Zandvoort) and only starting behind Fabi on one other occasion, at Kyalami. Finishes were harder to come by, though – only an 11th in Austria, behind Fabi. However, it’s fair to say Fabi was probably totally bewildered by this stage, watching his F1 career slip away, whereas the season had been more or less as Ghinzani had expected it to be.

What was certain was that the season had been a disaster. Neither the DFV or V12 cars had qualified higher than 23rd, the team had racked up 16 starts from 30 attempts, and just three finishes from those, none of them in the top ten. On only three occasions had both cars made the grid, while twice neither of them did. For those keeping count, by the way, the team had now managed just 12 finishes from four seasons.

For 1984, Osella decided to streamline their operation. Just a single car was entered, the new FA1F with an Alfa Romeo V8 turbo. The engine wasn’t a bad one – somewhat thirsty and unreliable, but fairly powerful, and it had led races and scored points. The new car was uncomplicated, and the team were impressed enough by Ghinzani to keep him on to drive the thing; for his part, he brought a bit of money in. The new combination ran respectably in the season opener at Brazil, Ghinzani starting 22nd before retiring with a broken gearbox. However, a the following South African Grand Prix, he had a massive practice crash and withdrew with burnt hands. He was back in the car for the next race at Zolder (with bandages on his hands), again qualifying and retiring. Imola saw the team enter a second car for the Austrian F2 driver Jo Gartner, who would run the 1983 V12 in a one-off drive. Amazingly he made the grid, bumping Ghinzani out. Piercarlo, in retrospect, needn’t be too hard on himself – his fellow non-qualifier was none other than Ayrton Senna, whose Toleman had barely run due to a tyre dispute. Gartner retired from the tail end of the field when the old V12 failed.

Ghinzani gave the FA1F its’ first finish with 13th at Dijon (later moved up to 12th with the infamous Tyrrell disqualifications), and then finally broke the team’s Monaco qualifying duck by placing an excellent 19th on the grid. In the famous wet race he kept his nose clean and brought the car home 8th (7th after Bellof was expelled) for the team’s best result since Imola 1982. It’s often said if the race had ran on much longer Senna or Bellof might have taken their first victory, but it’s also worth considering his careful driving, Piercarlo might have snatched a couple of points. He gain started 19th at Montreal before retiring, then collided with Francois Hesnault’s Ligier at Detroit. The next race, the controversial Dallas Grand Prix, would see Ghinzani finally get a moment in the sun.

The Pride Park road circuit was unpopular with the drivers from the start, and became even more reviled when the surface began to break up on race day. Ghinzani started a fine 18th and weathered the searing heat, avoiding the walls to advance through the field, finding himself in 6th in the closing stages. Then Nigel Mansell’s ailing Lotus finally locked its’ gearbom and Ghinzai came home a delighted 5th. As with Imola ’82, there was some innuendo about the high attrition, but the bottom line was that Ghinzani had not only finished ahead of Corrado Fabi’s Brabham and Manfred Winkelhock’s ATS, but he’d mastered the dreadful surface and kept away from the walls when fourteen of his fellow drivers (including aces such as Lauda, Prost, Alboreto, Piquet, Tambay and Cheever) hadn’t been able to, and had thoroughly earnt his two points. It was perhaps, then, a shame that races in searing heat on surfaces that were breaking up under cars’ wheels were rather thin on the ground – Osella and Ghinzani would both continue until 1989 and not score another point.

For now, though, the Osella was actually a steady lower-midfield contender. Ghinzani followed the 5th place up with 9th at Brands Hatch, now joined by Gartner fullt-ime in a second FA1F (the Austrian crashing trying to avoid the multiple accident instigated by Riccardo Patrese). This seemed to overstretch the team a little, and the next two races saw both cars retire. Gartner would bring the car home 14th at Zandvoort (12th after the Tyrrell etc, etc, and despite a leaking fuel tank giving him mild burns), but then at Monza the team would have what was, on paper, a very good day. Qulifying 22nd (Ghinzani) and 24th (Gartner) the cars moved through the field in near-tandem during another race of attrition, and after Eddie Cheever’s works Alfa ran out of fuel an obscene five laps from the end, found themselves circulating in fifth and sixth. However, Ghinzani’s Alfa also drank down the last of its’ fuel, dropping him to sixth. Gartner inherited fifth and stayed there, but as the second car hadn’t contested the whole season, it was ineligible for points (as was Gerhard Berger’s ATS, which finished in sixth). In an arcane piece of double-speak Gartner and Berger were classified in the last two points positions, with Ghinzani 7th and Huub Rothengatter’s Spirit 8th, but weren’t entitled to the points.

The last two races were a relative disappointment, Ghinzani being eliminated at the Neue Nurburgingring in a first lap incident with Berger and Marc Surer, while Gartner was classified 12th despite stopping in the closing stages when the fuel injection packed up, before taking 16th in the season closing Portuguese Grand Prix, Ghinzani retiring towards the end with a blown engine.

It had been a pleasing season on the whole. Ghinzani had qualified for every round except San Marino (where Gartner made it instead), and only his accident in South Africa prevented a clean sweep of starts. Reliability still wasn’t particularly impressive, though 8 finishes from 22 starts was certainly a big improvement, not to mention better than a number of teams of the era. The FA1F had largely done the job and ran capably in the lower reaches of the field, while both drivers had been quietly impressive if not outstanding. The contrast to the end of 1983 couldn’t have been greater, and the little team finally seemed to be making a bit of progress.

However, it wasn’t to continue. Money was still going to be tight for 1985, while there was bad news on the engine front. The FIA was beginning to look at phasing out the expensive turbos, and so began a three-year plan of slowly restricting them. The first round of changes involved restricting fuel tanks to 220 litres of petrol. This would cause problems for most teams, but the Alfa V8 was a thirsty unit even before these rule changes. With restricted tankage, the Osella and the Alfa works team would have to drive very carefully to even reach the finish without running dry. Add onto that the engine’s age and it wasn’t a competitive motor, but Enzo Osella couldn’t afford anything more.

The team entered just a single car for 1985. Ghinzani and Gartner were both in the running for the seat, but while Gartner was trying to court Toleman and Arrows, Ghinzani put together a better sponsorship package and sealed the Osella drive. The year started with the modified FA1F, though a reduced field guaranteed him a starting place. He even finished the first two rounds, coming home 12th (4 laps down) at Rio and 9th (six laps down) in Portugual. In the latter especially despite his slow speed Ghinzani deserved some respect for keeping going in dire conditions when many others span out. Nino Petrotta’s new FA1G then debuted at Imola, though a lengthy stop to fix the thing’s gearbox saw Ghinzani fail to be classified, though at least the team put some miles on the new car. Monaco saw a failure to qualify, then there were back-to-back retirements in the North American races, Detroit seeing Piercarlo slide into a wall. He finished 15th in Fance and then crashed out on the first lap of the British Grand Prix. Truth be told, the FA1G wasn’t a substantial improvement, at least not relative to the rest of the field, and by now money was tight again.

Dutch pay-driver Huub Rothengatter, who’d driven for Spirit the year before and displayed a considerable lack of speed, then pitched up with a group of sponsors. Ghinzani amicably stood down – it worked out nicely for him anyway, as Toleman entered a second car from the Austrian Grand Prix onwards and asked him to drive it. This was probably Osella’s lowest ebb since arriving in Formula 1, Paletti’s death excepted. There were no plans to make the car a competitive midfielder as there had been in the Cheever/Jarier days, and there was no young, well-heeled junior formula hot-shot either. This was just a car being rented to someone whose skill for closing sponsorship deals far outstripped his racing ability, a team with their head down and hoping for little more than basic survival.

This considered, things didn’t go too badly. The God of the Rats was deathly slow, but fairly reliable. He failed to qualify at Brands Hatch, and his best start was 22nd at Monza, though his grid positions weren’t considerably worse than those of Ghinzani, while he slogged around to finish four of the seven events he started. Sadly, he wasn’t classified twice, firstly at his home race where car problems left him 24 laps down, though Huub wasn’t about to miss track time in front of the adoring Dutch public. He also managed to come six laps behind at Spa just through being plain slow. On the other hand, he came home 9th (and last runner) in Austria, and 7th at Adelaide, this time outracing Pierluigi Martini’s rotund Minardi. He did manage to be 3 laps behind 6th-place man Gerhard Berger, though.

On paper, the season hadn’t gone so badly – only two failures to qualify, six classified finishes and three non-classifications at least pointed to some consistency, and the team had survived. The problem was 1986 wasn’t looking good either. Fuel capacity was reduced to 190l, further reducing the potency of the V8 engine. Alfa Romeo themselves had withdrawn their works team after an embarrassing, pointless (in both senses) season, but would continue to provide the free engines for Osella – though the basic motor was in effect four years old now. Ghinzani was back, while Osella went back up to two entries. Christian Danner took the second car, the reigning F2 champion having made his Grand Prix debut in a Zakspeed the previous season.

Wow, look at that! A huge, boring load of shit no-one here knows or cares about! I'm such an intellectual. Look at me with my superiority complex, desperately telling myself I'm just too damn smart for everyone instead of facing up to the truth that I'm just a sad twat. Aren't I special?
Hound

Post by Hound »

Cliffjumper wrote:Look at me with my superiority complex, desperately telling myself I'm just too damn smart for everyone instead of facing up to the truth that I'm just a sad twat. Aren't I special?
I wasn't gonna say but...
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

Quite impressed/ slightly worried if you typed all that just to prove a point. Copy and paste job or does your wrath know no bounds?

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Aborted artile riddled with factual inaccuracies (Jarier was out at the first corner at Kyalami) and a tiresome linear style.
Sades

Post by Sades »

But really, how is it different from what everyone else does every once in a bit? Or did five-seven years ago? :/

Also- It took me like a minute and a half (probably slightly less) to scroll past all of that on my blackberry. You're getting this face right now: >: (
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

No good can come of this...
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Sades wrote:But really, how is it different from what everyone else does every once in a bit?
That it's the only thing it does.
Slayer-Fan123

Post by Slayer-Fan123 »

Sixswitch wrote:No good can come of this...
This.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Matthewop
Protoform

Post by Matthewop »

what's that long story talking about??
Wildrider

Post by Wildrider »

We're such a untapped resource here, the greatest minds in the TF community congealed in one forum based think tank of knowledge and superior intellect!

All we need is Cloudstrifer to return and explain dinosaurs, Islam and his Turkish ancestory, it's the only way to be sure!
Axe
Protoform

Post by Axe »

Oh hey [/slarti],

I didn't think this thread would still be high up in GD. I didn't realize earlier, but I didn't explain the most important thing in my second post.

I hope the "anger bit" wasn't seen to be aimed at dalek. I would have explained it (like East West Pakistan), but I felt gnosis would be too boring based on what CloudStrifer said when I brought it up on my own years back.

I had had a terrible argument with a close relative the day before. I innovated a bit, but his lack of awareness (of the newly configured system) was costing precious time. I got enraged and stubborn that, why was I being criticized for trying to do good (as I wrongly thought). It reminded me of Master Samael Aun Weor's teachings.

In gnosis, they teach that anger, pride, jealousy, fear, etc. are defects that need to be eliminated for a truly integrated existance, for true freedom.

The Great Rebellion, p35 (second quote comes higher up the page):
If we could see ourselves full-length in a mirror, the way we actually are, we would discover for ourselves directly, the Doctrine of the Many Selves.
By denying the Doctrine of the Many Selves we make fools of ourselves. In fact, it is the height of absurdity to ignore the intimate contradictions which each of us possess.

"I am going to read a newspaper," says the ego of intellect. "To hell with reading," exclaims the ego of movement, "I prefer to ride my bicycle." "Forget it," shouts a third in disagreement, "I'd rather eat, I'm hungry."
The Revolution of The Dialectic, p38:
Interaction with our fellowmen, dealing with people, is the mirror where we can see ourselves at full length. In dealing with people, our hidden defects leap forward, they flourish, and if we are vigilant, we then see them.
There is wisdom in the Master's teachings, but after a few years I now strongly advocate to stay away from taking them as a whole. He stresses certainty over belief, but one can't even hope for being securely guided:

The Great Rebellion p74:
There are paths which can transform us in the majesties of this or that zone of the universe. However, they can never return us to the bosom of the eternal Cosmic Father, Common to all.

There are fascinating paths, of a most holy, ineffable appearance; unfortunately, they can only lead us to the submerged involution of the infernal worlds.
Someone put it aptly concerning the New Master after Weor and his organization:
They try to rationalize things in their mind by fear of losing the ground under their feet, when they realize that their spiritual leader is nothing at all. Simply as that. Forget the “good” or “bad”, even if he has gone on the other side with allowing and motivating all these actions here. Has any one wondered that this guy and his spouse are simply nothing at all?

That they are called in the Astral (when someone manages to do it…) and the psycology of the caller projects the image they want to see? Samael describes very well in one of his books that he had experiences (and he was advanced at that time as he says) with white dressed respectful being who turned out to be princes of darkness when he performed a specific recitation to them. And he was tricked to that point until he did.
(just a ref) http://movementsofgnostics.wordpress.co ... #more-1017

CloudStrifer was right. The last few days I was looking at my old posts. Even a funny post like "matrix circulation" had a bad conclusion (if one followed through with it, disrespectful to the movie). With 3 levels, people in the matrix could brain sync somewhere and jump onto the zion reality the way the zion folks jump into the matrix as supernaturals. However, their bodies would be vulnerable at the same time in the zion reality. That just turns the matrix into an episode of the X-files where some dismembered bloke could project out of his body in a powerful form.

(I don't really get what I was getting at with the rest of the post :swirly:)http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... =circulate

(from another thread)
CloudStrifer wrote:Have you ever though about not having these profound ideas? While not all of us are laymen, indeed we have some smart people in our ranks, your profound ideals and ideas are to say not very profound at all. Depending on the rate of profound-ness that is posted here from you your profound ratio is needed to be increased. Maybe an addition of 5 skill points would increase your profoundness to usefulness by 20% rather than the less useful -50% you have now.
T'would have been good if I had made many more science posts like in the thread below, but right now I'm both fat and old, rather then being more in form as I was then. http://www.tfarchive.com/community/show ... light=bulb

But hey, I've recently been looking into some practical ideas. Praise be to God, maybe I could team up with some blokes like these: http://www.majesticpk.com/SOLAR-ENERGY.php

I didn't check into GD the last few days (only glanced this thread today) since I didn't see myself getting enough PC time (especially at a strech) to be synthesizing concepts/issues dealing with religion.

Making (careless sort of) mistakes is dang painful. One time I commited an enormity by using the word "pleasure" on a forum where I absolutely should have used "bliss". I was shocked when I read my post days later (still hurts certain times).

Take care folks,

later
Sades

Post by Sades »

That last post was hilarious.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Hound

Post by Hound »

I am so confused...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

I've written about ten responses ( both for the public consumption and the mods only forum by various means), and couldn't come up with any that would get across what I want to convey without me seeming exactly like the sort of angry git staff apparently can't be anymore. Because we have to be all nice and hugs and bunnies because there's a perception we're mean (who has this perception, and why we should care what they think was never explained to me adequately) Axe has beaten me. Despite there being some blatant spam in the above post. I suppose congratulations are in order.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sades

Post by Sades »

The staff gangbangs that happen when moronic occurs derail things just as much as moronic does, and sometimes they're just as tiring. Our job is to maintain the place, not set fire to it. Also, I feel compelled to point out that it appears people do it on purpose to provoke the response and since it comes so easily it makes moderating the behaviour difficult.

Oh, sorry. I meant "lolocopter" and some random words spelt with a few "z"s.