Wikileaks, diplomatic armageddon and cyber warfare!

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Wildrider

Wikileaks, diplomatic armageddon and cyber warfare!

Post by Wildrider »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-11858895

The US has declared cyber war on Wikileaks! Unleash the 'Super Worm Raptor Needle Spore Mark IV'!! Of course it's likely just a publicity stunt from that Andy Warhol looking guy in charge, but I am curious.

This is quite interesting, are multiple international faux pas incoming? So far all I've heard officially is that US government officials have a disparaging view of Gordon Brown and David Cameron. Which in all fairness is fair enough, after the entire world was quite open in mocking 'Dubya' and as a nation (Or collection of) the U.K. is quite fond of condemning politicians.

But there does appear to be some genuinely sensitive information hidden amongst the dull diatribes that we wont here about whether the Belgians are rubbish at hospitality.

I suppose the very nature of diplomacy is to be fundamentally two faced in order to get what you want. The Wikileaks main guy is a bit creepy and 'worthy', but I must admit I'll be picking up a copy of 'The Guardian' *spits* to nosey at the details of all this stuff.

Putting lives in danger with reckless exposure of what people 'really' think about one another. From what I understand the majority of these fears seem to stem from a fear of a backlash by offended foreign nationals on US and UK ex-pats as the world comes to realise that diplomats and politicians don't always mean what they say and in some cases are just two faced, prejudiced and judgemental about so called allies and enemies.

Stop the press....
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

In a sense there is a noble goal behind Wikileaks, but for every covered-up human experiment, there are ten military secrets which are secret for a reason and a million two-faced lies which are better off hidden because even if we all suspect, its easier to pretend everyone gets along.

Nonetheless, I'm sure it'll be an interesting read.
I like bears.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Contrary to what a lot of us snobbish British types think, many Americans are perceptive and intelligent and almost as smart as some European people (we're talking Scots, Spaniards and Italians here, the so-called GM Vauxhall Conference of Europe, but I digress...), so that they dislike Brown and Cameron shouldn't be all that surprising. I mean, no-one over here does, especially after Cameron got elected and hasn't Made Everything Better recently...

Anyone know if anything interesting happened to Osella in 1986?
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

The Americans should put the wikileaks guy in charge of the CIA as he's clearly more awesome at this espionage thing than the people they've got.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/no ... key-points

Now, I'm not your QI-watching, Independant-reading, facebook group-forming middle-class prick who thinks he knows how the world works because every four years he watches a week's worth of Newsnight and posts links to modish websites, but am I the only one who finds that all a bit... underwhelming? One part of the Middle East wanted a fight with another part of the Middle East. Western powers aren't entirely sure about some Eastern leaders. Angela Merkel isn't the world's most exciting politician. Is this even ****ing news?
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I just read in the Mirror in the cantene (which isn't necessarily the best source of news) but most of it seems to be Middle Eastern countries urging America to do something stupid and America resisting.
And yes, government officials dislike the same people the rest of us do.
I like bears.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote: Is this even ****ing news?
I tried reading the main points on the GU website at lunchtime, but I think I must have forgotten what I was doing halfway through trying to find a breakdown of what the story is, because I have genuinely no clue what the hell has actually happened.

And it's called the Blue Square Premier now, I think. Premier to make it sound more important, Blue Square to summon up mental images of those cut-price Blue Cross sales to reassure you that it is still low-end basement stuff.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Halfshell wrote:I tried reading the main points on the GU website at lunchtime, but I think I must have forgotten what I was doing halfway through trying to find a breakdown of what the story is, because I have genuinely no clue what the hell has actually happened.
Well, I think someone needs to catch up on Sky+'d QI repeats, The Rugger and gastropubs - your problem is you're not a big enough arsehole to pretend you understand what this all means and that's it's very important but you're just choosing not to explain why to anyone else.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

It seems the main shock news from them today is that Prince Andrew is a tosser. Amazing.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Sixswitch

Post by Sixswitch »

The problem with it all for me is that it seems like the people at Wikileaks are more eager to be 'controversial' and 'anti-government' than they are to actually do any good. And that's a reckless position to take when we're talking about classified stuff from various countries.

Not that I'm claiming that World War 3's about to start over this. As has been pointed out, the info so far has been seriously underwhelming. However, it does seem needlessly antagonistic, and for not much value to the general public.

-Ss
I found God. Then I lost him. He'll probably turn up down the back of the sofa someday.
"The early bird gets the worm, but the early worm is ****ed."
"I'm not oppressing you Stan, but you haven't got a womb. Where's the fetus going to gestate? You going to keep it in a box?"
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Cliffjumper wrote:Well, I think someone needs to catch up on Sky+'d QI repeats, The Rugger and gastropubs - your problem is you're not a big enough arsehole to pretend you understand what this all means and that's it's very important but you're just choosing not to explain why to anyone else.
I only watch QI on Dave ja Vu. Well, I'll probably be doing that less now that I've finally replaced the hi-fi set-up in my living room with one that actually works and has this new-fangled digital radio thing. Yay actually being able to listen to the footie again!

I think that what's happened is that somebody leaked a load of messages sent between US Embassies. Some of the messages aren't 100% vapid and dull, whilst some of them actually contain information and opinion. THIS IS NEWS.

I only think that's what's happened though, as none of the reporting seems to give any background context to what the **** has happened. Maybe I'd understand it if I sat and finally watched that West Wing boxset I've had for months, but Supernatural is just far too much fun.
angloconvoy

Post by angloconvoy »

The release of a lot of this stuff doesn't seem particularly helpful.

Wasn't too happy to see the release of the comments from China about NOrth Korea. As much as I was inclined to agree with them, I don't want to see more aggravation from North Korea as a result. Given it's so close to here, it's not a stretch to believe Japan would get dragged into it.