There comes a time in a parent's life where they need to tell their child about Star Wars.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Notabot wrote: Then I thought it was kind of lame, because once again they were shoehorning the main characters into decisions, designs, and origins that were utterly unnecessary and gratuitous.
See, that's my real problem with the sequels - I could put up with the CGI; I could put up with proper actors dropping to the standards of Hamill, retired Guinness, retired Cushing, that writer chick etc.; I could put up with Jar-Jar... It's the joyless cataloguing of every mystery that got me. "Luke, I am your father" does the job, we don't need nine hours or whatever of Luke's father becoming Vader.
TFVanguard wrote:No, one of them said "look out!" while spinning stupidly into the trench wall. But you're right about the lack of cover fire (though I think at this point they were OUT of ships to provide cover, it's not made too clear at this point, but only a few fighters got out of there...) After all, that's pretty much all the Falcon did at the end, nailed the trio with cover fire allowing Luke to pull off the skill shot.
I'll admit I only really had it on as background and am open to correction, but didn't they have at least four X-Wings still in play/ Luke, Wedge, Biggus Dickus and one other no-mark - seeing as it seems to make bugger-all difference to things when they do all pile into the trench regarding the Death Star's defensive weapons...
A little too much WWII going on, maybe? You could argue that above the trench was enough anti-air and defenses to make such a shot impossible. Remember, they HAD to navigate the trench according to the briefing.
Ahh, the guys who did the briefing just didn't have a clue, that's what it is. Anyway, that's not impossible, I used to bullseye swamprats in my T-16 back home all the time. Or something like that.
TFVanguard wrote:Crack open a history book. That's the way most evil empires in history have worked. Few live past their first Emporer. Even the Soviet Union, with all its power, didn't manage to last once the generation of 'revolutionaries' died of old age. And, at the risk of Godwinning, 30 years is two decades longer than the worst Empire of human history got.
Aye, but it's fiction, and I do think it does distract from it - I mean, Star Wars is epic on toast, and for the Empire to be all that scary surely they have to be at least a match for long-running empires (Roman, British, etc.) that we've had so far.

In fictional terms (we'll declare a Goodwin truce for this bit, I think), the Nazi empire isn't that scary because it peaked in, what, five years, collapsed rapidly, was always heavily opposed, and there was somewhere just as big on the other side of the Atlantic that was likely to take it down as soon as it got seriously involved. Whereas in the original trilogy the rebels are basically an intergalactic resistance movement rather than an opposing army.
Wildrider wrote:A point possibly made obsolete by the vast quantities of Rebel pilots present at the medal ceremony, but without knowing a time-line between the Death Star going kaput and the ceremony, I guess it's feasible they all flew in from where ever they were based/hiding at the time.
I like to think they're extras shipped in to make the ceremony less weird. It'd just be Leia presenting medals to the central cast in front of Wedge and that Y-wing pilot otherwise, and you'd just be able to hear them muttering about what gloryhounds they are.
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

inflatable dalek wrote:I think Luke was planning to sign up for some non-rebel related academy? Possibly even the one that leads into the Empire space service (in the radio adaptation version of the deleted scenes with Biggs it's clear he's only signing up for the academy so he can quickly jump ship and join the Rebellion, not sure how close that is to what they filmed though).
With Luke going on about Biggs going away and then Biggs being with the Rebellion the next time we see him, I never really thought that the "academy" Luke was talking about might not be Rebel-related and might just be... college. Huh.

Though this is the first I've ever heard about that bit from the radio version. He was going to join an Imperial academy and then ditch for the Rebellion?

Anything to get off the godforsaken wasteland planet, I guess.

You know what bummed me out most about the prequels; and I'm not bitching about acting or CG or writing, but just an infiction revelation that crushed my own pre-prequel perception of what Ye Olde Jedi were like.

I always figured them as being these cool guys who just went around helping people and fighting the good fight and all that stuff.

When we see them, though, they're basically an Imperial council in and of themselves. They let the senate exist primarily as a farce, keeping tabs on all deals made and bringing the hammer down on anything they disapprove of. If they don't like something a senator is doing (say, Palpatine), they send one of their Knights to tail him under the guise of "bodyguard" and report back any juicy details they can use against him.

Each Jedi is basically an unstoppable war machine on their own and the most powerful sort of being in the universe, so they've amassed them all into an all-Jedi army that keeps everyone in line. And then there's the kids that they seem to just straight-up kidnap whenever Yoda does a Professor X and "senses" a Jedi out there somewhere. At least that's how it comes off in the Clone Wars series. "Hey, your kid's a Jedi. Gimme." Or they do some trickery like in Episode 1. "But why can't you just punch Watto in the face and free my mom from slavery, too?" "Because shut up, that's why".

And man, they're pricks in that Clone Wars show. You've got seasoned generals and career officers who have decades upon decades of experience. And then Obi-Wan puts some 16 year-old girl like Ahsoka in charge of THEM because "oh, she has the force, that means your decades of hardwork and experience don't mean crap in comparison". It comes off even worse with the revelation that being a Jedi all comes down to how much bacteria is in your bloodstream. So they're putting kids in charge of 50 year-old tacticians because "they're genetically superior to you, old man".

And then, of course, Yoda wanted to use Anakin to "bring balance to the Force" by annihilating all the Sith so that only Jedi remain. For a 900 year-old guru, his understanding of "balance" was pretty far-off. Anakin brought "balance" to the force by killing all but two Sith and all but two Jedi.

So, yeah. Prequel rant. Sorry.
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Yeh, what I like about the first ones is the straight-up old fashioned black and white of it - I mean, taking just the first film into account, has there ever been a more stereotypical villain than Darth Vader? There's no real shades of grey and when there are (Han in the first film, Lando in the second) they're sorted out pretty quickly, or there by accident (Obi-Wan being a lying bastard). And it all kind of works on those terms.

Whereas the prequels seem very much a product of a their time, and it's the done thing now to be revisionist and point out what massive, massive twats all you heroes were. The original trilogy works because it makes you feel like a kid again -it's a bit cheesy and a bit obvious, but it turns those into plus points; you're having so much fun you just don't give a shit. Whereas the prequels (or at least the first two; I haven't actually seen the third one and don't particularly intend to... I rather wish I hadn't seen the two I did watch) are like some try-hard teenager's fanfic - let's make everyone nasty and conflicted and emo and just as bad as each other, and it just doesn't work in context
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

I should say in fairness that the prequels were pretty much doomed to failure anyway, in terms of the anticipation and the difficult tightrope to walk between being a Star Wars for the kids of 1999 (or whenever the first one came out) and satisfying the people who'd watched the first one in 1977, the way effects had moved on since and so on. So it was always going to fail. It's just that Lucas found a particularly spectacular way of doing it...
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

DrSpengler wrote: Though this is the first I've ever heard about that bit from the radio version. He was going to join an Imperial academy and then ditch for the Rebellion?
Yep, IIRC there's some stuff about him having met some people at the academy of a like mind and they were all plotting to jump ship together, he came back to Tatoinee just specifically to say goodbye to Luke. I'm not sure how much of that is taken directly from the script, but whilst the radio version has a lot of embelishment (due to being six hours long!) the stuff that's taken from other deleted scenes tends to be fairly accurate (so whilst Jabba has been replaced with another lackey- presumably because when this was made between Empire and Jedi they knew he'd be in the third one but hadn't decided what he'd be like- the dialouge is pretty much exactly the same as what wound up in the Special Edition).

How long the Empire's been about in the Prequels doesn't really bother me so much, it's fairly clear from Obi's lines in Star Wars that the set ups fairly new for Luke's Dad to have been a Jedi in the first place. It just seems like forever because Luke's our POV character and he's never known anything else.

I do actually like the idea the Republic was brought down through hubris, over confidence and corruption. It's just the execution that does it in.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
DrSpengler
Protoform

Post by DrSpengler »

My only familiarity with that particular deleted scene is from the manga adaptation where it was included for some reason.

Now that you mention the context behind Biggs's words to Luke, though, you can kinda tell that some dialogue seems to be missing.

Here's how the exchange goes in the manga:

"Join the Rebellion?! Are you kidding! How?"

"Quiet down, will ya! You got a mouth bigger than a meteor crater! I know its a long shot, but if I don't find them, I'll do what I can on my own... It's what we always talked about. Luke, I'm not going to wait for the Empire to draft me into service. The Rebellion is spreading and I want to be on the right side -- The side I believe in. Luke, you're going to have to learn the difference between what seems important -- And what really IS important. What good is all your Uncle's work if it's taken over by the Empire?"

"I know. He needs me for just one more season. I can't leave him now."

"So long, Luke."

I always took that "long shot" to be his trying to "find" the Rebellion so he could join, but with the additional context of joining an Imperial academy and ditching, it sorta makes more sense.

Though I wonder if Uncle Owen knew that that was Luke's plan when he mentioned that he was anxious to join the Academy, or if he was just okay with his nephew joining the Empire (granted, he wasn't "okay" with it, but it was more Luke leaving for any reason; you'd think he'd be more outraged at Luke joining the Empire if he didn't knew he planned to ditch).
inflatable dalek

I don't think Luke had any actual desire to join the Rebellion before his Aunt and Uncle's deaths, he just wanted to get out of Dodge and fly spaceships.

After careful consideration I think my favourite minor character is Lobot, mainly because John Hollis was in every single British TV show made for a decade either side looking exactly the same which always results in a "Hey, It's Lobot!" style moment (his best probably being getting to order Donald Sutherland about in the last of his 8000 guest spots in The Avengers. Though getting dropped down a chimney by Roger Moore in For Your Eyes Only may come close).
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I'd always thought Biggs joined the academy and jumped ships but my dad was a fan of the radio show so I probably get it from him more than inworkes I out from the film.

Watching Biggs' scenes at the end, cutting him out at the start seems stupid.

In other news, I'm going to Collectormania on Sunday and meeting Wedge!
I like bears.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

If somebody could just shoot me the next time I go to start a thread related to Star Wars, that'd be great.
inflatable dalek

Halfshell wrote:If somebody could just shoot me the next time I go to start a thread related to Star Wars, that'd be great.

But who would shoot first?
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I was tempted to start a "Star Trek or Star Wars" thread, just to see what happens. But last time I shot archduke Ferdinand it didn't go well.
I like bears.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Summerhayes wrote:I was tempted to start a "Star Trek or Star Wars" thread, just to see what happens.
:smack:

Asides, the answer is obvious.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
inflatable dalek

Yep, Star Trek is way better.
Halfshell

Post by Halfshell »

Don't you go starting with that crap.
Sades

Post by Sades »

inflatable dalek wrote:Yep, Star Trek is way better.
Incorrect.

the answer is My Little Pony. End of discussion.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Summerhayes

Post by Summerhayes »

I like bears.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Why would you call down hate and scorn upon your head willingly like that?

I can only conclude that you enjoy it.

Isn't this one of those "unspoken banned" topics? Like Unicron/Death Star? Have we come full circle already?
Hound

Post by Hound »

Sades wrote:Incorrect.

the answer is My Little Pony. End of discussion.
:smack:
Sades

Post by Sades »

Hound wrote::smack:
Oh no you di'n't.
inflatable dalek

DrSpengler wrote:With Luke going on about Biggs going away and then Biggs being with the Rebellion the next time we see him, I never really thought that the "academy" Luke was talking about might not be Rebel-related and might just be... college. Huh.
Just relistened to the radio stuff as I go through my copying all my CD's to my computer, and with a fresher memory, yeah Biggs is indeed just joining an academy for an unspecified space fleet (not the Imperial Fleet as he talks about how the Empire is drafting lots of academy graduates). So if Luke had gone through with his acadamy plans chances are he'd have wound up working on a Star Destroyer for the Empire perfectly happily.

Having not done anything Star Warsey for a while I really enjoyed that, and may dust down the film DVD's on my week off. Though I'd forgotten that for the first film it's actually Tarkin who's the lead villain, Vadar's just his cool sidekick. In context him getting an entire trilogy explaining his secret origin is like someone doing an Oddjob movie series.

Oh, and is anyone else actually on Lucas' side with this? If it was some less mega rich director people actually liked some minor member of staff with no involvement in the actual design process milking his creation for cash would have everyone pissed at the little guy:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12910683