Ye Olde Doctor Who Thread.

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Tetsuro
Protoform
Custom Title: Poe Dameron did nothing wrong

Post by Tetsuro »

I was wondering when they'd start releasing the old show by season rather than story.

I wonder if it'll be a big ol' slipcase like Key to Time or if they're actually gonna use some kind of shelf-space-saving packaging this time.
Hound

Post by Hound »

I wouldn't mind them releasing all of Classic Who by season. I'd buy the hell out of that.

What I'd like to know is if their plan is to eventually animate all the missing episodes?
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

I forgot blu-ray.com had a thread about the release so if nothing else, they're probably gonna cram the whole season onto a single blu-ray disc in SD - which would be a definitive "yes" on the space-saving issue.

EDIT: and then I realize dalek already mentioned this in his post. Doh!
Skyquake87
Protoform

Post by Skyquake87 »

Season releases would be good. I saw that German release of the complete 7th Doctor which I thought was a cool idea - although being in a massive slip case and being an expensive limited release puts it out of the hands of a lot of folk.
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Germany had at least done separate season sets first. You could argue putting the extended Silver Nemesis on the complete boxset was a bit mean, but that was down to the BBC dicking them about with the assets prior to that, so if it wasn't on this release it wouldn't have been on anything.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
inflatable dalek

So the classic series is coming to blu ray, starting with Tom Baker's first season. Not true HD of course, though apparently there's stuff they can do with more space on the discs to allow for less compression and better picture quality.

Was firmly not going to get this (though I was pleased we're finally getting easier for new fans to get into boxsets), but it's such a nice box and not to badly priced (looks like it'll be around £35) and has some nice new extras on top of everything already on the DVDs (though I'm guessing Colin Baker calling Jimmy Saville worse than any monster will be cut from the Sontaran doc). Sensibly I shouldn't, but we shall see.

At the moment any more are based on sales, but they've clearly already put a lot of thought into how the whole series might work (ie, anything that would up on a DVD divorced from when it happened because it was discovered too late to go on the right DVD--like Tom's circa season 15 visit to an Irish school--has been removed to go on the correct set).

Oddly I'm more interested in the Red Dwarf set that's coming as anything that could be done to help the picture quality on those early seasons will be a bonus.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Saw this video and since it more or less covers ground that I've thought about for a long time now, decided to share it.

It also made me appreciate Daleks in Manhattan a lot more. It does seem like the best Dalek stories are the ones that deconstruct them as a civilization.
inflatable dalek

I was at the In Conversation event Eccleston did in Manchester last week, and he was a funny (making a joke about having mouthed off too much recently), passionate guy who, whenever he did criticise things he worked on, always included himself as well (it was his bad call to listen to encouragement to do Hollywood stuff he wasn't interested in and the final--what he considers to be poor performances--are down to it just not clicking in his head).

Doctor Who wasn't mentioned very much in the talk itself (and Our Friends in the North not at all. The person chairing seemed to want to talk about the Leftovers, perhaps oddly for a show Chris admits ran for three years with no one watching because HBO had so much money from Game of Thrones they were happy to back it to maintain a relationship with its creator), meaning his reason for leaving didn't come up. Even if a couple of the audience questions were trying to tease at it.

But he spoke eloquently about how the character connected for him and how important it was to do something for kids and how great it is it's not a skinny white bloke any more (he even talked about that YouTube video of the little girl reacting to Jodi's announcement!).

He also talked about the genius of Tom Baker and how watching some of his stories in the middle of the shoot (having only caught regenerations before) helped him work out how to play it because Doctor Who is a show where you do have to do the same sort of things over and over and he felt Tom always found ways to keep it fresh and put variations on it and that made it click for him.

He actually asked the audience if he's right in thinking Tom was the only Doctor to get it immediately right and if everyone else was better in their second year. Which is where he wishes he'd had the chance to do a second year to get it right, especially the comedy he'd not played at that level before.

Which I guess means Big Finish or a future anniversary appearance aren't as impossible as folk think, at least if they don't want him to be just like he was on TV. But after trying the taking the money thing with Hollywood a few times (and he cheerfully admired his mortgage was something that prayed on his mind as much as anyones) and not enjoyed it I don't think at this stage he'd do any acting work that he didn't personally really want to do (convention appearances I can see being more common if LFCC goes well for him though).

It was also interesting that he said he only really started to have any confidence in himself as an actor after Lennon Naked, just ten years ago.

And despite the venue wanting to move folk on quickly (the staff laid down a "Selfie or an autograph, not both") he stayed behind to pose and sign (disproportionately Who stuff compared to how much it was mentioned) for what was well over half the 450 crowd.

The Who highlight though was him being given a glass carving of his Doctor that was designed to bat signal his face onto walls if you shone a light through it, and cheerfully playing with it during the Q&A part of the talk. Looking exactly like Nine sonicing something as he tried to get the torch app on his phone to make it work for the audience. This is not a man embarrassed by his association with the role.

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 58339?s=19
inflatable dalek

So something quite lovely has happened this week. Classic Who has started being shown on streaming app Twitch, I guess with the intent of drawing in older people to the platform. They're showing all the existing classic Who, apart from the Dalek stories not written by Nation.

They're in mid Hartnell now, and wonderfully rather than old codgers signing up to watch it, it's been embraced by thousands of kids, I bet some of whom weren't even born when Rose aired. Ian and Barbara are being shipped, topless Hartnell is being called "Buff", and best of all, thanks to a trailer being shown repeatedly between each story, Ian shouting "LONDON 1965!" from The Chase has become an internet meme.

It's great to see people engaging completely uncynically with the oldest of the series as good daft fun. Apparently it will reach "LONDON 1965" about quarter past 1 this morning, parties are planned.

Twitch does have a lot of ads apparently, but if you're in the UK or US it's a good free way of watching the show. And the comments are great.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

Oh I saw a bit of that! I didn't stick around for long though since they were showing Rescue and I got that one on disc. I did stick around long enough though to notice that the early episodes seemed to rely a lot on on-set audio, with various dull sounding clunks and thuds making it pretty obvious everyone's just fumbling around in a set, compared to the much more modern sounding Frontios which I just finished earlier. Yes, a story made twenty years later sounds more modern, what a surprise. Still, nice of them to give the old series a wider platform - and nice to see the modern generation is embracing it, too.

Space Museum is really crap, but if they think topless Hartnell is "buff", I wonder what reaction to the swimsuit scene is gonna be.
Tetsuro
Protoform

Post by Tetsuro »

The Twitch chat actually makes The Gunfighters watchable. Mostly because it's nice to see I'm not the only one who thinks it's pretty terrible. :D
inflatable dalek

They've been loving Troughton as well.

As an addendum to my Eccleston story, when I met Camile Coduri last weekend, I got the impression that's someone who isn't a fan of his. She found his quick squibble signature in the book absolutely hilarious, it pretty much reduced her to tears and she was showing it to the person next and going on about how some people put no effort it in a way it's hard to imagine her doing about, say, Tennant.

When I mentioned it wasn't a proper signing and he'd been mobbed by about 200 people, her response was "Serves him right!"

Notably he was very much "Christopher Eccleston" to her as well, not Chris, or even Chris Eccleston...
inflatable dalek

Will write more about the actual experience when I've recovered, but I got to meet five Doctors Who today, meaning I've got a photo with all the ones still with us bar Jodi:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 17280?s=19
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Sweet. Was the McGann one taken with him sitting down or is he unusually short?
inflatable dalek

Everyone has asked that!

The TV Movie publicity pics are a lot. He's standing on a box in them.

All my Doctor pics:

https://twitter.com/InflatableDalek/sta ... 92930?s=19
inflatable dalek

The fact that a guy on Twitter mentioned having met every Doctor since Troughton now has me wondering if there's a guy out there in his mid-60's who went to one of those fêtes Hartnell opened and has the whole set...
inflatable dalek

Re: Ye Olde Doctor Who Thread.

In really unlikely news...

Eccleston is back.

https://amp.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... ssion=true