So, do you feel sorry for Raoul Moat?

Chat about stuff other than Transformers.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

inflatable dalek wrote:*Oh alright, he was number one with a bullet.
Well, I think he had shot for brains.
Wreck and Rule!
inflatable dalek

Post by inflatable dalek »

Rack 'n Ruin wrote:Well, I think he had shot for brains.
At least he had a blast.
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

inflatable dalek wrote:At least he had a blast.
I thought he let fame go to his head.
Wreck and Rule!
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

So if i understand this right, the guy gets out of prison, shoots up his ex's home, killing her new husband, injureing her, then goes on a mobile rampage, that resulted in ONLY one cop injured and no property damage, then attempted to blow his face off, just to get tazered, which ended in him blowing his face off anyways?

Things like this happen everyday in the U.S. and never even make news!
Why's this F***tard so special?
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
inflatable dalek

Catalyst Dragon wrote: Things like this happen everyday in the U.S. and never even make news!
The fact it doesn't happen every day in this country (I think Bird and Moat happening on top of one another has been the worst instance of this type of crime we've had in over a decade) is something we're very proud of. Especially as when bad gun crime happens... we just tighten up our gun laws. In my entire lifetime the UK has only had enough gun massacres for me to count on one hand.
REVIISITATION: THE HOLE TRUTH
STARSCREAM GOES TO PIECES IN MY LOOK AT INFILTRATION #6!
PLUS: BUY THE BOOKS!
Cliffjumper

Post by Cliffjumper »

Catalyst Dragon wrote:Why's this F***tard so special?
Who the **** says he is, you [removed]? Do I pull you up on whether anything you say is important? DO I? No. But I'm going to start.
inflatable dalek

Still, good to see certain lazy national stereotypes kept alive and well, an American who thinks it's great people get shot up all the time in his country.
Prowl1984

Post by Prowl1984 »

inflatable dalek wrote:He can still be part of the culture without being any good at it. I do like how you make it sound as if your teacher was afronted at the insult to these "Hardmen" though, "Nah, we don't shoot 'em, we beat them to death. Pure slander that".
I guessthat did come out a little wrong. he didn't think it was an insult to "hardmen", he was just referring to similar types or self-proclaimed "hardmen" that he's dealt with during his time in the police.

"No point in long goodbyes, here's the door."

"Life's a trip, and then you die" -
Hunter S.Thompson
1937-2005 :smokin:
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

Catalyst Dragon wrote:So if i understand this right, the guy gets out of prison, shoots up his ex's home, killing her new husband, injureing her, then goes on a mobile rampage, that resulted in ONLY one cop injured and no property damage, then attempted to blow his face off, just to get tazered, which ended in him blowing his face off anyways?

Things like this happen everyday in the U.S. and never even make news!
Things like that don't happen everyday in the US.

Just to nit-pick: the sequence of events is way too specific.

Then there's the fact that while violent or lawless ex-cons are a problem most don't run right out and start shooting people unless they're in some gang. Vengeful cons of an ordinary sort do happen, but if murder isn't what got them in the slammer they still have to overcome the whole "kill someone" thing that many ordinary criminal scum still manage to be circumspect about.

I will also contend that this idiot isn't so special as a result. The 24/7 news has a lot of time to fill up as well as a herd mentality so one should expect that any nutter going berserk in a big way (or being driven slowly down a California highway in a white Bronco) will get some press at large.

"I make my living on the evening news. Just give me something, something I can use! People love it when you loose, give them dirty laundry!"
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
inflatable dalek

Rurudyne wrote: I will also contend that this idiot isn't so special as a result. The 24/7 news has a lot of time to fill up as well as a herd mentality so one should expect that any nutter going berserk in a big way (or being driven slowly down a California highway in a white Bronco) will get some press at large.

"I make my living on the evening news. Just give me something, something I can use! People love it when you loose, give them dirty laundry!"
Again though, these events are so rare in this country that in the context of British news it is a genuinely big story. A lot of the coverage was very silly (giving advice on how to build a secret forest hideaway?!) but it wasn't an excessive amount. Especially as whilst it was happening there was the chance of it escalating.
Jetfire

Post by Jetfire »

inflatable dalek wrote:Yep, don't force me to send the Prime Minister to call you a insensitive *****.

Though, I'm pleased to see after agreeing with him yesterday Cameron has returned to form by suddenly talking about BP as a British company when A: They're not really anymore (hence them changing their name so it's just BP rather than being short for anything) and B: During the time they were ****ing up everything the Government was very keen to distance the country from them. Soon as they slightly start to sort it out he's suddenly "Well, we don't want them to be paying out to much compensation for screwing up the west coast so we can still have a strong BRITISH company".

That wa sprobably a bit of spin to increase support for BP. A good thing considering our already ****ed pensions will be more ****ed if BP continued to be ****ed.

Anyways on topic, Rauol Moat should have seen it coming:

Sades

Post by Sades »

Cliffjumper wrote:Who the **** says he is, you little shit? Do I pull you up on whether anything you say is important? DO I? No. But I'm going to start.
I don't think he was attacking you or what you were saying, specifically.
Rurudyne
Protoform

Post by Rurudyne »

inflatable dalek wrote:Again though, these events are so rare in this country that in the context of British news it is a genuinely big story. A lot of the coverage was very silly (giving advice on how to build a secret forest hideaway?!) but it wasn't an excessive amount. Especially as whilst it was happening there was the chance of it escalating.
Please tell me that they didn't advise wearing green and taking up archery....
Standup Philosopher

"Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball"
Catalyst Dragon

Post by Catalyst Dragon »

Sades wrote:I don't think he was attacking you or what you were saying, specifically.
I wasn't attacking anyone or anything, nor do I understand how it could have been taken as such, I was only trying to get a idea of why this news was 'apparently' important to people...

@Dalek, in response to:Still, good to see certain lazy national stereotypes kept alive and well, an American who thinks it's great people get shot up all the time in his country.

Death is a necessary event for problems such over population, food shortage, ect... if WWII haden't occured many of the nations involved would be well over their sustainable limits by now.

So yes I'm happy when people die, does that make me a bad person... probably, but the people that are dying would have died eventually anyways, same as me and you, so why look at it as bad?
All that was needed was a catalyst and the machines of war are set in motion.
Sades

Post by Sades »

Catalyst Dragon wrote:I wasn't attacking anyone or anything, nor do I understand how it could have been taken as such
Then you're not very intelligent and/or willfully ignorant. Sorry.

Other people from the US have grasped that this isn't something that occurs in the UK every day so saying "this happens all the time in the US!" isn't the best argument. I don't see why it's that difficult for you to comprehend how what you said could be taken as a direct thing, and I don't see why it's so difficult for you to respect cultural differences.

On that last- if you come in here basically boasting (why I don't know) about how this happens almost every day where you're from and that it shouldn't be news, don't act all huffy or surprised when people react adversely to your attitude.

I don't want to hear another word about it. If you really feel the need, I have a PM box and I will argue with you until Doomsday/I get bored and stop. And that goes for everyone else, too. Back on topic.
if WWII haden't occured many of the nations involved would be well over their sustainable limits by now.
That's an argument that can't end anywhere nice. I'd advise people not to follow up on that.
why look at it as bad?
It's not the fact that they died, it's how they died. I don't know about you, but I'd consider taking another person's life to be the number one shitty thing you could do to that person. Not to mention their family and other loved ones. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm watching this topic.
This is my signature. My wasted space. My little corner. You can't have it. It's mine. I can write whatever I want. And I have!
Rack 'n Ruin

Post by Rack 'n Ruin »

Jetfire wrote:Anyways on topic, Rauol Moat should have seen it coming:

:lol::lol::lol: :clap:
Wreck and Rule!
Wildrider

Cynical....?

Post by Wildrider »

I see it didn't take long for the girlfriend of Raoul to sell her story for a reported 'six figure sum' to a Sunday tabloid, although to be fair in her position I would likely do the same.

But my cynical side can't help but sneer at this fact as her tearful face plugs my T.V. screen with Geordie mumblings and a painful inability to express herself in anything close to resembling coherent speech.

Then my compassionate side takes over and chastises my Cyril Sneer alter ego and reminds myself that she has just seen her boyfriend gunned down in cold blood and experienced more trauma and horror than most people will experience in a life time.

I just sense the sticky finger prints of 'PR Guru' max Clifford all over this, the idea of somone negotiating to sell the story for details of this, just make me nauseous.

I wouldn't begrudge any of the victims compensation, but I imagine none of the money she received will be going to the family or children (If he had any) of the man that was murdered.

Or the policeman for that matter, but his story will be in next week's paper no doubt. And here's hoping he gets paid more.
inflatable dalek

Wildrider wrote: Or the policeman for that matter, but his story will be in next week's paper no doubt. And here's hoping he gets paid more.

He was in last weeks, exclusive (and completely needless) close ups of his battered face and shots of him with his family and vows that he'll carry on working with the police in some capacity.

In both cases the journalistic standards are incredibly low (you can almost hear them wanking at the thought of the extra copies shifted), but you can't really blame either of them really. Especially in her case as the amount of bullshit reported directly from Moat's claims is something that she was likely very keen to refute.

Certainly in the unlikely even a newspaper ever offered me silly money for a story as much as I'd like to be all dignified and silent the facts of my financial situation would have me whoring myself out fast as possible.

And at least the policeman will never have to read what's been written [Goes Straight To Hell].
Denyer

Post by Denyer »

Catalyst Dragon wrote:So yes I'm happy when people die, does that make me a bad person... probably, but the people that are dying would have died eventually anyways, same as me and you, so why look at it as bad?
Possibly because the other people in the conversation aren't fifteen and painting their bedrooms bläck?

Nihilism's not going to be a particularly welcome attitude around events such as murders, and there's quite a marked difference between it and gallows humour.
optihut
Protoform

Post by optihut »

inflatable dalek wrote:EDIT: The worst thing is Cameron has said something I agree with a result. I've even defended him against people who think he shouldn't stick his nose in. I feel so dirty now.
I don't know. The 200k people in some odd facebook group would have no impact on my life. However, when the prime minister demands that a facebook group is shut down, because he doesn't agree with the opinions voiced there, it may well get to the point where it has a drastic negative impact on people's lives.

A statement by him that it is a sign of bad taste would have accomplished the same goal - that the creator of the group voluntarily shuts it down. It was unnecessary (and a bit creepy) to try to get facebook to close the group.
"Negativity creates nothing!" The Colonel, Orguss 02